• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[Think Tank #2 - SOLVED] Modifying Maps to enable Navigation outside USA

Search This thread

pintspin

Aug 9, 2009
Basically google doesn't have data for all countries/regions and on some Australian network (should be noted somewhere in the first pages of this thread) the operator was doing some nasty caching that delayed the delivery of the data and the app just said no route found because the answer wasn't fast enough or somehow modified.
Try it with wifi and see if this work (not the navigation itself, just getting the routing infos).
Another thing that you can try is to see if maps.google.com can generate directions for the two locations that you want to route (from a normal browser, maybe best on pc)

dear i am using it currently through wifi , and maps .google.com can generate the routing between two points in dubai i have tested that thing on my lap top but i need it on my mobile which i cannot...! one more thing buzz sattelite and other layers are working fine , except for traffic layer...
i think i am the only one in UAE who wants routing in google maps....! feeling so lonely ....! :)

rac2030

Jun 9, 2007
www.2030.tk
dear i am using it currently through wifi , and maps .google.com can generate the routing between two points in dubai i have tested that thing on my lap top but i need it on my mobile which i cannot...! one more thing buzz sattelite and other layers are working fine , except for traffic layer...
i think i am the only one in UAE who wants routing in google maps....! feeling so lonely ....! :)

Traffic layer is just for a few countries... I dont have traffic too in switzerland.

How did you install it or better said have you used the root version and replaced the system maps or installed the nonroot version and have two icons?
How do you start navigation?
If you get the directions in maps, you should be able to route otherwise you may be in the wrong maps app (if you use nonrooted version).

Brut.all did just write a proxy so if you get tex tdirections for your route (in gmaps on the phone), navigation should be possible too.

pintspin

Aug 9, 2009
Traffic layer is just for a few countries... I dont have traffic too in switzerland.

How did you install it or better said have you used the root version and replaced the system maps or installed the nonroot version and have two icons?
How do you start navigation?
If you get the directions in maps, you should be able to route otherwise you may be in the wrong maps app (if you use nonrooted version).

Brut.all did just write a proxy so if you get tex tdirections for your route (in gmaps on the phone), navigation should be possible too.

ok , here it is what i did...!

1, isntalled the marsdroid rom, which contains the brut gmaps v 4, .
2, i have also installed the brut ver 4 spearately and now i am having two maps applications but with same version i dont know how did i got two applications of same version installed simutaneously...
3, now currently i am in dubai and if i choose two points in PAKISTAN MAP, ( notdubai ) i can get directions and navigation working...!!
4, but if i choose two points in DUBAI MAP ( not in pakistan map) no ROUTE found error is coming i am using WIFI.......

this sucks man.........!! i dont understand two different behaviors for two different MAPS while software is same....1!

pintspin

Aug 9, 2009
thanks brut and rac2030 for your time and support,

i got it now......... actually , here the Road transport authority may have made some changes .... Routing of directions is only working if i select the Bus option , its not available for car, .........!!! because they have introduce a service wujahiti , ( actually a route planner ) which supports only to Bus route travellers........and it sucks.........!!

rest of every where the routing and direction is working fine.... even for car option also ....!! my bad luck....!

Last edited:

remedy86

Mar 1, 2010
Hi folks,

can somebody please upload the latest maps file for non-rooted systems on rapidshare? At the moment, uploaded.to cannot be downloaded freely from Singapore and I don't want to get a premium account for just one file. However RS works.

Thank you!

1r2R1

Feb 12, 2010
Paris
i have a problem with this commande :
adb shell find /system /data -name \*google\*maps.apk\* -o -name Maps.apk -delete

nothing happend. I can't do anthing after that except ctrl+C :(

Any idea ?

jezzaaaa

Nov 11, 2009
i have a problem with this commande :
adb shell find /system /data -name \*google\*maps.apk\* -o -name Maps.apk -delete

nothing happend. I can't do anthing after that except ctrl+C :(

Any idea ?

Perhaps it was taking a while for it to finish. Try doing these and see what you get:

Code:
adb shell id
Code:
adb shell find /system -name \*.apk\*
Code:
adb shell find /system /data -name \*google\*maps.apk\* -o -name Maps.apk

All should give you some kind of output - the first one immediately, the last one might take longer.

1r2R1

Feb 12, 2010
Paris
adb shell id give nothing :(
just "# _" the "_" is flashing
=>ctrl+c
But :
adb shell "enter"
id "enter"
give "uid=0(root) gid=0(root)"
is there something wrong in my system ?

rancor187

Nov 7, 2009
Palatinate
I can't help it

Hi, I really need help. I tried to install maps3.3.1-by-directions-root-2.apk. In order to do that I have to uninstall or delete the existing maps.apk but it won't work, I always get errormessages.

adb:
Code:
C:\androidSDK\tools>adb remount
remount failed: Operation not permitted

shell
Code:
C:\androidSDK\tools>adb shell
$ su
su
# mount -o remount,rw /system
mount -o remount,rw /system
Usage: mount [-r] [-w] [-o options] [-t type] device directory