• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Thinking about getting the ZenFone 8, is it worth it?

Search This thread
Jun 26, 2021
I am thinking about switching phones from my OnePlus 9. I like my OP9, but it is very glitchy for what it is supposed to be and really the only thing that impresses me is the WarpCharge feature. I am very fond of smaller phones, such as the ZenFone 8. I haven't purchased an ASUS device at all before, not even a computer.

Who has it and do you think it is worth even considering? My daily use consists of social media, internet browsing, and watching videos. It is very rarely that I download a game and play it on mobile. I also prefer somewhat swift updates, but have been an avid Motorola user before and was perfectly fine with their update timings.

shadowdevil

Apr 24, 2012
I'm also in the same boat however 'm using Nord now..not very much satisfied with it..Oneplus really lost its glory now a days . Also 'm looking for compact phones..ZF8 seems to be perfect..would like to hear from real users.. ;)

MidoPL

Nov 8, 2013
I'm on the same boat except I'm using Xiaomi Mi 9T. Zenfone 8 looks like a perfect phone but I heard the thermals are bad and it gets hot af, like really hot.

Reactions: jemmy2316

andelf_x

May 28, 2021
I have it and the only down side is standby drain. Even after a few system updates my drain is about 50-100% higher than my op6. It's gotten better since the first version, but still not great.
I love it's form factor, GUI fluidity, Asus apps are great.
I haven't played any games so I can't really say anything about thermals.. never felt any temperature build-up.

Reactions: 5tormChild
Jun 26, 2021
I have it and the only down side is standby drain. Even after a few system updates my drain is about 50-100% higher than my op6. It's gotten better since the first version, but still not great.
I love it's form factor, GUI fluidity, Asus apps are great.
I haven't played any games so I can't really say anything about thermals.. never felt any temperature build-up.

Does it last at least around 6-8 hours?

Undead_Son

Feb 24, 2014
Kaunas
ASUS ZenFone 8
The screen isn't the best and the battery drains a bit too quick, but I'd say it's worth it. I like the stock ROM. The power button can be customised to perform two different actions, Game Genie shows CPU, GPU, battery, temperature and FPS, Optiflex speeds up apps and reduces battery usage. Also, didn't expect to find system performance modes, dt2w, dt2s or gestures, which, if drawn while the screen is off, launch apps.

Jun 26, 2021
The screen isn't the best and the battery drains a bit too quick, but I'd say it's worth it. I like the stock ROM. The power button can be customised to perform two different actions, Game Genie shows CPU, GPU, battery, temperature and FPS, Optiflex speeds up apps and reduces battery usage. Also, didn't expect to find system performance modes, dt2w, dt2s or gestures, which, if drawn while the screen is off, launch apps.

How long does the battery last for you?

Kemez

Mar 28, 2011
This opinion is very subjective and quite off.

The screen isn't the best? Maybe there are literally few phones with better screens but it's definitely among the very top. No idea what is wrong with it.

Battery drain? I get easily 6h SOT and whole day use. No issues at all. 8h during night eats me like 5-8 percent. The good is that all my smartwatches and earbuds are very stable and I get no disconnections like on Huawei flagship phones.

I can confirm that coming video in bright sun in 30 Celsius gets the phone hot, very hot. I think that's normal. And it's waterproof so I've just taken it underwater for 5s and it was back to normal.

If you can live with the cut out camera - this phone is brilliant.
I was using LG V30 and Huawei Mate 20 before this and I see no downsides. Everything is better than on those two. I like them all.

Jun 26, 2021

The screen isn't the best? Maybe there are literally few phones with better screens but it's definitely among the very top. No idea what is wrong with it.

Battery drain? I get easily 6h SOT and whole day use. No issues at all. 8h during night eats me like 5-8 percent. The good is that all my smartwatches and earbuds are very stable and I get no disconnections like on Huawei flagship phones.

I can confirm that coming video in bright sun in 30 Celsius gets the phone hot, very hot. I think that's normal. And it's waterproof so I've just taken it underwater for 5s and it was back to normal.

I was using LG V30 and Huawei Mate 20 before this and I see no downsides. Everything is better than on those two. I like them all.

Awesome reply! I believe I will be purchasing it to replace my OP9. :)

Undead_Son

Feb 24, 2014
Kaunas
ASUS ZenFone 8

When I said "not the best" I had two things in mind. First the backlight issue at 60 and 120 Hz. As for the second one, few days ago my Zf8 was on a desk together with my previous phone (Xperia 5 II). I think I had some web pages open on both at the time because the screens were mostly white. When I looked at them while standing and almost at a flat angle, I immediately noticed that the Xperia's screen was white as a sheet of paper, Zenfone's wasn't. I assumed the Xperia's screen can be viewed without distortion at wider angles.

I played one game which is locked at 30 FPS, CPU and GPU usage was 10-30%, temp stayed at 36-37C. Will try something more demanding and see if it can go over 40C during the weekend.

Edit: idle drain 0.5%/h, but Franco Kernel Manager shows 0.28% for some reason

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210702-060206702.png
    Screenshot_20210702-060206702.png
    155.4 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:

Pollie81

Mar 8, 2012
Google Pixel 5
Good topic to keep track of.
Right now i have a OnePlus 9 Pro and as i really like it I'm kind of done with big smartphones.

As i had the Pixel 5 before i was thinking about going back and then the ZenFone 8 came to my attention.

It's damn ugly but that's something that can be changed with a case or skin.
I'm in doubt about the camera's compared to the Pixel 5 but the reviews I've seen so far seems quite good, not the best but good and comparable to the OnePlus 9.

I also read that Asus's update policy is not very reliable.

Anyone can give their opinion about this parts?

Everything else about this phone seems really good!

Kemez

Mar 28, 2011
It is true that other phones may have better battery, the Mate 20 I have is much better but at the cost of unreliable smart devices connection.
I can't get 2 days of my normal usage out of any phone. If I go hiking and just have the phone with me the Zenfone will also last 2-3 days easily. For me 1 day is the requirement and Zenfone does it easily.

The cameras are really good and with gcam and the right settings in there it gives great, real to life pictures. The super wide camera has the same sensor as Pixel 5. The main and selfie are even better and newer.

And the main thing - here in Poland the Pixel is 290USD more expensive than Asus. At the same price I'd probably buy the Pixel as it is a more established brand and has better support.

People write here that ZF8 can be bad at getting updates but the initial month had 4 updates. Can't see anything wrong here.

If the ZF9 will be the same size and gets the flip camera I will 100% buy it.

Last edited:

Pollie81

Mar 8, 2012
Google Pixel 5
It is true that other phones may have better battery, the Mate 20 I have is much better but at the cost of unreliable smart devices connection.
I can't get 2 days of my normal usage out of any phone. If I go hiking and just have the phone with me the Zenfone will also last 2-3 days easily. For me 1 day is the requirement and Zenfone does it easily.

The cameras are really good and with gcam and the right settings in there it gives great, real to life pictures. The super wide camera has the same sensor as Pixel 5. The main and selfie are even better and newer.

And the main thing - here in EU the Pixel is 290USD more expensive than Asus. At the same price I'd probably buy the Pixel as it is a more established brand and has better support.

People write here that ZF8 can be bad at getting updates but the initial month had 4 updates. Can't see anything wrong here.

If the ZF9 will be the same size and gets the flip camera I will 100% buy it.

Pixel has a different sensor for the ultra wide. For the others i can't comment on that but it seems they are at least very close to each when it comes to picture quality.

It's so strange that the price difference in the world is so big. Here in the Netherlands the zenfone 8 is more expensive compared to the Pixel 5.

I can't say much on the phone as I've not used one yet, but from my own research and a friend whose ordered one, I can give me opinion. The specs are great, I think it exceeds in every category, but the camera. I don't the camera is as good as it could be, and maybe even the screen. The 120hz is real nice though. It's all personal preference really. I'm a Samsung guy but have been trying other phones because, well, why not. I'm by far not an expert, but I most certainly will share my opinion with you. My friend did mention that his tends to get hot, really hot. Keep that in mind.

Kemez

Mar 28, 2011
Pixel has a different sensor for the ultra wide. For the others i can't comment on that but it seems they are at least very close to each when it comes to picture quality.

It's so strange that the price difference in the world is so big. Here in the Netherlands the zenfone 8 is more expensive compared to the Pixel 5.
The wide camera sensor in ZF8 is the same as main in Pixel. At least I read that.

Undead_Son

Feb 24, 2014
Kaunas
ASUS ZenFone 8
I can't say much on the phone as I've not used one yet, but from my own research and a friend whose ordered one, I can give me opinion. The specs are great, I think it exceeds in every category, but the camera. I don't the camera is as good as it could be, and maybe even the screen. The 120hz is real nice though. It's all personal preference really. I'm a Samsung guy but have been trying other phones because, well, why not. I'm by far not an expert, but I most certainly will share my opinion with you. My friend did mention that his tends to get hot, really hot. Keep that in mind.
Barely felt any heat so far. When exactly does it get hot for your friend?

Kemez

Mar 28, 2011
We

Anything that runs the CPU/GPU high. You have to enable performance mode (or custom mode for max performance/temp limit) to let it get hot though. Case mitigates its feel to an extent.

And it can get burning hot, try it on any 3d game.
That really riddles me. So there are non gaming phones that do not get hot in similar settings? Especially during summer?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    North America user who came from a Pixel 3a and a OnePlus 3 before that. I've had my Zenfone 8 for a few weeks now and feel like I can add to this conversation.

Overall this is obviously a little beast of a phone, but here are things that annoy me. First, this phone wasn't hugely popularized, which therefore makes finding a great case for it challenging. I know AliExpress, Amazon, etc. have options, but I want more options from companies like Spigen. I've always used grippy "armor" cases with integrated kickstands on phones. So far, I haven't found any like that. I bought the Rhinoshield SolidSuit case and added an OhSnap! to the back (which is a different discussion altogether). Alas, I'd still prefer a simple, textured armor case with no need for kickstand attachments. The RhinoShield is sleek, but not very grippy.

Also, a good screen protector is a pain to find. I currently have a tempered glass one from Amazon that messes with the fingerprint reader. I'm probably just going to get a thin, non-glass one and hope for the best. My old OP3 never had a screen protector and the screen is still good, but I later (unknowingly) cracked my Pixel 3a. I don't want that to happen to this one.

Perhaps most importantly: the battery life. Others have said the same thing, and battery life is definitely my main gripe with this as well. I check my phone frequently, browse, play PoGo, make calls, etc. Whether in 60 or 90hz, I'm charging it way more than I feel I should. This is also considering the batteries on my last devices were technically inferior, yet lasted longer. This daily drain is something I'll have to keep an eye on as the battery ages. Hopefully Asus really nails down a software update that optimizes the battery, because I don't have many other things I can do to improve battery life.

Also, cell reception seems a little finicky. My GF has a Galaxy S20 FE with the same network, and I think there was one long stretch of highway where she had reception and I didn't. Of course, that's something I need to troubleshoot with the cell service. It also seems to randomly switch between 5G and 4G+ when I spend time in the same area. But, this whole paragraph needs to be taken with some salt because these issues might not all be on the phone – though I suspect at least some of them might be.

Besides that, most of the other things are more personal/preferential. I wish the navigation buttons could be customized more as well as the LED on the bottom. I want more color accents. And lastly, the power button (aka Smart Key) is pretty prone to accidental presses, at least in my use with the RhinoShield. For example, I have one Smart Key shortcut function mapped to the flashlight, so when I grab the phone, I'll find I accidentally turn it on. Imo, this button should be relocated.

But I get pretty nitpicky with phones. Overall, like AlmightyTaDaryl said, it's a mixed bag. However, I lean more to "love" because I obsess over customizing. The Pixel was just too bland for me. Also, I like my phone's navigation, loading, etc. to be blazing fast, which this is. Most importantly, I came to Asus as someone who loved OnePlus, but was disappointed in what it has become. So, I found the Zenfone as an alternative.

With some system, battery optimization, and stability updates, I feel this phone can be brought from around 70-80% to 90%. Here's to hoping!
    Here's one of the videos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/CHtWB52oFALwvxP99

Keep in mind that the quality is greatly reduced by google compression and buffor on stream. Still you should be able to see the fish..
    He said when recording video, watching video, sometimes while plugged in, and light gaming.
    This time the phone reached 40C while I was playing a 60 FPS game on the advanced system mode. Again, I really like how customisable the stock ROM is.
    Yes lot of people are complaining about how it becomes so hot in normal usage..is it really so..?phones will become hot/warm when doing CPU headed tasks but on normal browsing it shouldn't be..
    When I check the CPU temp and compare it to my Xiaomi Mi 9T, it's the same or sometimes even a bit lower. However the Xiaomi feels cold while Zenfone 8 feels warm (not hot, but it's not pleasant either).

Make note that I have set all sliders in Advanced mode to the left, I use 60 Hz refresh rate, no 5G and do only light tasks like browsing the internet.

Idk if it's about the materials or what. It's something you can get used to with time I guess.
    Hi. I would buy this phone again. There are two competitors (in case of phone and screen size) at the moment S21 (better on snap) and Xperia 5 III.
    5III is not on the market yet. And just to compare, it has size like S8+ instead of S8 which also not comfortable for everyone. But it has a lot of pros.
    S21 has good camera and snapdragon model has good battery time. I tired of OneUI so I picked up ZF 8 and don't regret about it. At least for me battery time is ok. I have BL unlocked and custom (Kirasakura) kernel.
    Camera on ZF8 are kinda unpredictable (on Auto mode). It could take very good picture and next one is very bad in same conditions. I think S21 has more stable (better) results in case of camera.