Question Thinking about getting the ZenFone 8, is it worth it?

Search This thread

Kemez

Mar 28, 2011
He said when recording video, watching video, sometimes while plugged in, and light gaming.
I can confirm that recording video on a hot day heats the phone. I even got the high temperature warning on a very hot day that it will stop recording. After a quick cool down it was all good.

I have watched hours of HQ YT or streaming soccer and never felt any warmth through the case.

Charging on 30W fast charge heats the phone. That is normal on all phones. Nothing worrying here.

Games depend on the settings, I imagine most of the games do not require the highest CPU so just use the game genie accordingly and all will be good.

Pollie81

Mar 8, 2012
Google Pixel 6
Heating on a hot day is quite common, at least when you're outside and in the sun. We have the same issues with OP 9 Pro and Pixel 4a.

But I'm getting quite excited about this device, i watched all reviews from my favourite reviewers and all are very positive.

Undead_Son

Feb 24, 2014
Kaunas
ASUS ZenFone 8
He said when recording video, watching video, sometimes while plugged in, and light gaming.
This time the phone reached 40C while I was playing a 60 FPS game on the advanced system mode. Again, I really like how customisable the stock ROM is.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210702-231135426.png
    Screenshot_20210702-231135426.png
    140.2 KB · Views: 144

eexit

May 16, 2013
Caen
www.eexit.net
Hello all,

I just stumbled upon this phone as I'm looking for a replacement for my Motorola Moto X4 (2017), which I like very much but starts to be really slow. My main criteria are: autonomy (basic usage, internet, texts, social medias), stock Android (I don't want any bloatware), and IP68 cert'.

This ZenFone 8 is way more expensive than the Moto X4 but I need to be sure I won't be disappointed.

Thanks a lot!

Kemez

Mar 28, 2011
Don't know what you mean with autonomy, but all things mentioned you can do, obviously. It will work unbelievable fast compared to your old phone. Everything will be improved - faster RAM, faster storage, faster antennas, better processor, more responsive screen. I couldn't even compare my LG V30, which already is much better than Moto.

Android is like stock, no bloatware, and a few less usefull Asus apps you can disable or delete without any hassle.

IP68 works perfect - I even recorded movies underwater and did cool the phone down in water on hot days at the lake. Even the wet screen is useable!

To sum this up - this checks all the needs. But you still may be disappointed as this is always personal and a detail like led on bottom, cutout or thickness can irritate you. No one can assure you enough.

Reactions: rkharat98

MidoPL

Nov 8, 2013
So I bit the bullet and bought this phone. Its warm all the time but not hot so I guess I will get used to it. About phone calls.. well, the quality is random. Sometimes it's very good and sometimes it's so bad as if the other person was using some phone stollen from museum.

Reactions: shadowdevil

shadowdevil

Apr 24, 2012
So I bit the bullet and bought this phone. Its warm all the time but not hot so I guess I will get used to it. About phone calls.. well, the quality is random. Sometimes it's very good and sometimes it's so bad as if the other person was using some phone stollen from museum.
Yes lot of people are complaining about how it becomes so hot in normal usage..is it really so..?phones will become hot/warm when doing CPU headed tasks but on normal browsing it shouldn't be..

MidoPL

Nov 8, 2013
Yes lot of people are complaining about how it becomes so hot in normal usage..is it really so..?phones will become hot/warm when doing CPU headed tasks but on normal browsing it shouldn't be..
When I check the CPU temp and compare it to my Xiaomi Mi 9T, it's the same or sometimes even a bit lower. However the Xiaomi feels cold while Zenfone 8 feels warm (not hot, but it's not pleasant either).

Make note that I have set all sliders in Advanced mode to the left, I use 60 Hz refresh rate, no 5G and do only light tasks like browsing the internet.

Idk if it's about the materials or what. It's something you can get used to with time I guess.

bo6o

Jul 19, 2010
Sofia
To duplicate my question from another thread - do both cameras support dng shooting and what are their max exposure value and iso? I came across a 64mp dng from the main camera but it'll be better if it can produce 16mp pixel binned dng files - does it?

Reactions: rkharat98

Undead_Son

Feb 24, 2014
Kaunas
ASUS ZenFone 8
It gets warm, not hot during normal usage. With the included case I can't feel a thing. That said, it can get hot.

I was downloading a file while watching a 1440p video - phone was at 35C (which, again, is nothing with a case). Then I started recording at 4K 60 FPS. After 8 mins the phone was at 40C and I got a warning that the phone is overheating and the camera will shutdown if it gets hotter. At that point I could barely hold the top end of the phone Area around the cameras was hot too. Then I let it cool down a bit and opened the recorded video - phone stayed again at 35C. Keep in mind that Chrome was running in the background during all of that.

You can use it while charging - if you won't play games it won't get over 40C (the temp I personally try to avoid). Speaking of games, the hottest it got while I was playing was 41C I think. Thank God the top doesn't get as hot as it does while recording at 4K lol

Reactions: shadowdevil

brainwash123

Jun 27, 2012
Here's one of the videos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/CHtWB52oFALwvxP99

Keep in mind that the quality is greatly reduced by google compression and buffor on stream. Still you should be able to see the fish..

I didn't try it yet, but on my older phones the video would always cut off while submerged, since water was 'pressing' on the stop button. Did you have the same issue or used a different recording app?

Kemez

Mar 28, 2011
I didn't try it yet, but on my older phones the video would always cut off while submerged, since water was 'pressing' on the stop button. Did you have the same issue or used a different recording app?
This phone handles wet screen perfectly. No autonomous clicks! You can even use it partially wet.

On my V30 i had the same issue as you - wet screen acting on itself. ZF8 is just great at handling that!

o-l-a-v

Jan 6, 2012
Oslo
How is Asus phones running Android 11 with 3rd party launchers and gestures, like Nova?

Edit: Found following in the XDA review of the phone.

https://www.xda-developers.com/asus-zenfone-8-review/amp/#zenfone8software

"Third, alternative launcher apps like Nova Launcher hang and redraw for a second when I swipe to go home. ASUS told us they plan to implement the API that makes swipe-to-go-home animations look more native for third-party launchers, so the Android 12 update for the ZenFone 8 can’t come soon enough."

God dammit. Nova with gestures is a must for me.

Has this situation gotten any better with Android 11 updates? :)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    North America user who came from a Pixel 3a and a OnePlus 3 before that. I've had my Zenfone 8 for a few weeks now and feel like I can add to this conversation.

Overall this is obviously a little beast of a phone, but here are things that annoy me. First, this phone wasn't hugely popularized, which therefore makes finding a great case for it challenging. I know AliExpress, Amazon, etc. have options, but I want more options from companies like Spigen. I've always used grippy "armor" cases with integrated kickstands on phones. So far, I haven't found any like that. I bought the Rhinoshield SolidSuit case and added an OhSnap! to the back (which is a different discussion altogether). Alas, I'd still prefer a simple, textured armor case with no need for kickstand attachments. The RhinoShield is sleek, but not very grippy.

Also, a good screen protector is a pain to find. I currently have a tempered glass one from Amazon that messes with the fingerprint reader. I'm probably just going to get a thin, non-glass one and hope for the best. My old OP3 never had a screen protector and the screen is still good, but I later (unknowingly) cracked my Pixel 3a. I don't want that to happen to this one.

Perhaps most importantly: the battery life. Others have said the same thing, and battery life is definitely my main gripe with this as well. I check my phone frequently, browse, play PoGo, make calls, etc. Whether in 60 or 90hz, I'm charging it way more than I feel I should. This is also considering the batteries on my last devices were technically inferior, yet lasted longer. This daily drain is something I'll have to keep an eye on as the battery ages. Hopefully Asus really nails down a software update that optimizes the battery, because I don't have many other things I can do to improve battery life.

Also, cell reception seems a little finicky. My GF has a Galaxy S20 FE with the same network, and I think there was one long stretch of highway where she had reception and I didn't. Of course, that's something I need to troubleshoot with the cell service. It also seems to randomly switch between 5G and 4G+ when I spend time in the same area. But, this whole paragraph needs to be taken with some salt because these issues might not all be on the phone – though I suspect at least some of them might be.

Besides that, most of the other things are more personal/preferential. I wish the navigation buttons could be customized more as well as the LED on the bottom. I want more color accents. And lastly, the power button (aka Smart Key) is pretty prone to accidental presses, at least in my use with the RhinoShield. For example, I have one Smart Key shortcut function mapped to the flashlight, so when I grab the phone, I'll find I accidentally turn it on. Imo, this button should be relocated.

But I get pretty nitpicky with phones. Overall, like AlmightyTaDaryl said, it's a mixed bag. However, I lean more to "love" because I obsess over customizing. The Pixel was just too bland for me. Also, I like my phone's navigation, loading, etc. to be blazing fast, which this is. Most importantly, I came to Asus as someone who loved OnePlus, but was disappointed in what it has become. So, I found the Zenfone as an alternative.

With some system, battery optimization, and stability updates, I feel this phone can be brought from around 70-80% to 90%. Here's to hoping!
    Here's one of the videos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/CHtWB52oFALwvxP99

Keep in mind that the quality is greatly reduced by google compression and buffor on stream. Still you should be able to see the fish..
    The screen isn't the best and the battery drains a bit too quick, but I'd say it's worth it. I like the stock ROM. The power button can be customised to perform two different actions, Game Genie shows CPU, GPU, battery, temperature and FPS, Optiflex speeds up apps and reduces battery usage. Also, didn't expect to find system performance modes, dt2w, dt2s or gestures, which, if drawn while the screen is off, launch apps.
    This opinion is very subjective and quite off.

The screen isn't the best? Maybe there are literally few phones with better screens but it's definitely among the very top. No idea what is wrong with it.

Battery drain? I get easily 6h SOT and whole day use. No issues at all. 8h during night eats me like 5-8 percent. The good is that all my smartwatches and earbuds are very stable and I get no disconnections like on Huawei flagship phones.

I can confirm that coming video in bright sun in 30 Celsius gets the phone hot, very hot. I think that's normal. And it's waterproof so I've just taken it underwater for 5s and it was back to normal.

If you can live with the cut out camera - this phone is brilliant.
    I was using LG V30 and Huawei Mate 20 before this and I see no downsides. Everything is better than on those two. I like them all.
    This time the phone reached 40C while I was playing a 60 FPS game on the advanced system mode. Again, I really like how customisable the stock ROM is.
    Hi. I would buy this phone again. There are two competitors (in case of phone and screen size) at the moment S21 (better on snap) and Xperia 5 III.
    5III is not on the market yet. And just to compare, it has size like S8+ instead of S8 which also not comfortable for everyone. But it has a lot of pros.
    S21 has good camera and snapdragon model has good battery time. I tired of OneUI so I picked up ZF 8 and don't regret about it. At least for me battery time is ok. I have BL unlocked and custom (Kirasakura) kernel.
    Camera on ZF8 are kinda unpredictable (on Auto mode). It could take very good picture and next one is very bad in same conditions. I think S21 has more stable (better) results in case of camera.