Question Thinking about getting the ZenFone 8, is it worth it?

Search This thread

pawel296

Aug 5, 2021
Cześć. Próbuję kupić ten telefon. Mam kilka pytań, jedno z najważniejszych.. kupiłbyś ten telefon ponownie?
czy jesteś zadowolony z jakości aparatu? Szukam niewielkiego telefonu z dobrym aparatem i przyzwoitą baterią, w którym nie będę musiał chodzić z powerbankiem.

jerryhou85

Senior Moderator | Developer Committee
Staff member
Cześć. Próbuję kupić ten telefon. Mam kilka pytań, jedno z najważniejszych.. kupiłbyś ten telefon ponownie?
czy jesteś zadowolony z jakości aparatu? Szukam niewielkiego telefonu z dobrym aparatem i przyzwoitą baterią, w którym nie będę musiał chodzić z powerbankiem.
Please post in English in future or you can use any translator app or website to post your comment in both languages. Thanks.

I have translated this post for you by Google Translate.
Hi. I'm trying to buy this phone. I have a few questions, one of the most important .. would you buy this phone again? are you satisfied with the quality of the camera? I am looking for a small phone with a good camera and a decent battery, in which I will not have to walk with a power bank.

Reactions: dron39

dron39

Sep 20, 2009
Hi. I would buy this phone again. There are two competitors (in case of phone and screen size) at the moment S21 (better on snap) and Xperia 5 III.
5III is not on the market yet. And just to compare, it has size like S8+ instead of S8 which also not comfortable for everyone. But it has a lot of pros.
S21 has good camera and snapdragon model has good battery time. I tired of OneUI so I picked up ZF 8 and don't regret about it. At least for me battery time is ok. I have BL unlocked and custom (Kirasakura) kernel.
Camera on ZF8 are kinda unpredictable (on Auto mode). It could take very good picture and next one is very bad in same conditions. I think S21 has more stable (better) results in case of camera.

newcv

Sep 17, 2017
The only thing about ZF8 that really bothers me is "USB 2.0" in its specs. Can someone please confirm the uploading speed for its USB port? If it is really just USB2 (480mbps), it's just insane for a phone with 128/256GB storage. Uploading some 50 gigs of music/movies/files over usb2 will take literally hours. Not an option at all, when usb3 is around for years. Any real experience, anyone? Thanks!

dron39

Sep 20, 2009
Yeah, upload speed is ****ty.
Don't really understand too why they saved few cents on USB3. By the way, device doesn't have some things to stream video via USB-C <-> HDMI cable to TV. Just in case if you would like to watch some movies somewhere in hotel during your trip - forget about it))).

newcv

Sep 17, 2017
this is very disappointing, with such a superb other specs (except the battery but it still would be bearable). USB2 speed is a showstopper, so no-go for ZF8.

Tom100%

Jul 10, 2021
The only thing about ZF8 that really bothers me is "USB 2.0" in its specs. Can someone please confirm the uploading speed for its USB port? If it is really just USB2 (480mbps), it's just insane for a phone with 128/256GB storage. Uploading some 50 gigs of music/movies/files over usb2 will take literally hours. Not an option at all, when usb3 is around for years. Any real experience, anyone? Thanks!
Just dis a quick test: Uploaded a 633 MB folder (containing 265 pictures) on an external HD to my Asus ZP8. The HD has a USB 2 port so I used a USB 2 to USB 3 cable. Time taken, 30 seconds, about 2,5MB/sec. Hope this helps.

In an earlier post I reported extremely slow transfer rates from my Macbook to the phone but these used the OpenMTP app (to connect laptop to phone using a USB 2 ports on the Mac). So it's mach faster to transfer large folders first to an external HD and from there to the phone.

Reactions: bobrobsom

Moncicci

Apr 15, 2012
Hi, I wanted some advice, I have a htc u11 that now needs to be changed, I was evaluating a small but powerful phone, I read that it heats (I don't play and I don't use many social apps, I watch streaming on the internet), the photos are enough for me to be like htc where I took great photos and is there any news on the ramdump problem?
Sorry if I'm wrong but I used a translator

dron39

Sep 20, 2009
If you had HTC10 then believe me ZF8 not so hot as HTC 10 :)
I had HTC10 (not 11) and ZF8 does better photos than HTC 10.

Adaoh

Jun 13, 2021
ASUS ZenFone 8
Hi, I wanted some advice, I have a htc u11 that now needs to be changed, I was evaluating a small but powerful phone, I read that it heats (I don't play and I don't use many social apps, I watch streaming on the internet), the photos are enough for me to be like htc where I took great photos and is there any news on the ramdump problem?
Sorry if I'm wrong but I used a translator
It was hotter in the first few patches, now i would say that it gets warm when doing some intensive stuff like filming videos for minutes at 4k. It can get pretty hot if you try some high end games though and even that is much less of an issue now.

topo01

Aug 10, 2014
Munich
Xiaomi Mi 5
Samsung Galaxy S22
Hi. I would buy this phone again. There are two competitors (in case of phone and screen size) at the moment S21 (better on snap) and Xperia 5 III.
5III is not on the market yet. And just to compare, it has size like S8+ instead of S8 which also not comfortable for everyone. But it has a lot of pros.
S21 has good camera and snapdragon model has good battery time. I tired of OneUI so I picked up ZF 8 and don't regret about it. At least for me battery time is ok. I have BL unlocked and custom (Kirasakura) kernel.
Camera on ZF8 are kinda unpredictable (on Auto mode). It could take very good picture and next one is very bad in same conditions. I think S21 has more stable (better) results in case of camera.
S22 might be an future option if size is relevant. According to some leaks it is supposed to be even 2mn shorter than zf8.

dron39

Sep 20, 2009
S22 might be an future option if size is relevant. According to some leaks it is supposed to be even 2mn shorter than zf8.
Don't like things happened on latest Samsung flagships related to "security" when camera dies on newest fold/flip's after bootloader unlock and etc. Don't like that they doesn't have fastboot, a lot of ****ty KNOX which is very hard to debloat and not to go to bootloops, lack of aptxhd and many other things.
Hardware - samsung is OK, but SW part... Don't like it anymore.

bo6o

Jul 19, 2010
Sofia
Don't. This phone is suitable only for winter use. I returned it after two weeks of use. It was overheating even during phone calls.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    North America user who came from a Pixel 3a and a OnePlus 3 before that. I've had my Zenfone 8 for a few weeks now and feel like I can add to this conversation.

Overall this is obviously a little beast of a phone, but here are things that annoy me. First, this phone wasn't hugely popularized, which therefore makes finding a great case for it challenging. I know AliExpress, Amazon, etc. have options, but I want more options from companies like Spigen. I've always used grippy "armor" cases with integrated kickstands on phones. So far, I haven't found any like that. I bought the Rhinoshield SolidSuit case and added an OhSnap! to the back (which is a different discussion altogether). Alas, I'd still prefer a simple, textured armor case with no need for kickstand attachments. The RhinoShield is sleek, but not very grippy.

Also, a good screen protector is a pain to find. I currently have a tempered glass one from Amazon that messes with the fingerprint reader. I'm probably just going to get a thin, non-glass one and hope for the best. My old OP3 never had a screen protector and the screen is still good, but I later (unknowingly) cracked my Pixel 3a. I don't want that to happen to this one.

Perhaps most importantly: the battery life. Others have said the same thing, and battery life is definitely my main gripe with this as well. I check my phone frequently, browse, play PoGo, make calls, etc. Whether in 60 or 90hz, I'm charging it way more than I feel I should. This is also considering the batteries on my last devices were technically inferior, yet lasted longer. This daily drain is something I'll have to keep an eye on as the battery ages. Hopefully Asus really nails down a software update that optimizes the battery, because I don't have many other things I can do to improve battery life.

Also, cell reception seems a little finicky. My GF has a Galaxy S20 FE with the same network, and I think there was one long stretch of highway where she had reception and I didn't. Of course, that's something I need to troubleshoot with the cell service. It also seems to randomly switch between 5G and 4G+ when I spend time in the same area. But, this whole paragraph needs to be taken with some salt because these issues might not all be on the phone – though I suspect at least some of them might be.

Besides that, most of the other things are more personal/preferential. I wish the navigation buttons could be customized more as well as the LED on the bottom. I want more color accents. And lastly, the power button (aka Smart Key) is pretty prone to accidental presses, at least in my use with the RhinoShield. For example, I have one Smart Key shortcut function mapped to the flashlight, so when I grab the phone, I'll find I accidentally turn it on. Imo, this button should be relocated.

But I get pretty nitpicky with phones. Overall, like AlmightyTaDaryl said, it's a mixed bag. However, I lean more to "love" because I obsess over customizing. The Pixel was just too bland for me. Also, I like my phone's navigation, loading, etc. to be blazing fast, which this is. Most importantly, I came to Asus as someone who loved OnePlus, but was disappointed in what it has become. So, I found the Zenfone as an alternative.

With some system, battery optimization, and stability updates, I feel this phone can be brought from around 70-80% to 90%. Here's to hoping!
    Here's one of the videos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/CHtWB52oFALwvxP99

Keep in mind that the quality is greatly reduced by google compression and buffor on stream. Still you should be able to see the fish..
    The screen isn't the best and the battery drains a bit too quick, but I'd say it's worth it. I like the stock ROM. The power button can be customised to perform two different actions, Game Genie shows CPU, GPU, battery, temperature and FPS, Optiflex speeds up apps and reduces battery usage. Also, didn't expect to find system performance modes, dt2w, dt2s or gestures, which, if drawn while the screen is off, launch apps.
    This opinion is very subjective and quite off.

The screen isn't the best? Maybe there are literally few phones with better screens but it's definitely among the very top. No idea what is wrong with it.

Battery drain? I get easily 6h SOT and whole day use. No issues at all. 8h during night eats me like 5-8 percent. The good is that all my smartwatches and earbuds are very stable and I get no disconnections like on Huawei flagship phones.

I can confirm that coming video in bright sun in 30 Celsius gets the phone hot, very hot. I think that's normal. And it's waterproof so I've just taken it underwater for 5s and it was back to normal.

If you can live with the cut out camera - this phone is brilliant.
    I was using LG V30 and Huawei Mate 20 before this and I see no downsides. Everything is better than on those two. I like them all.
    He said when recording video, watching video, sometimes while plugged in, and light gaming.
    This time the phone reached 40C while I was playing a 60 FPS game on the advanced system mode. Again, I really like how customisable the stock ROM is.