Thinking I Am Going to Sell my Galaxy Nexus and Get This

Search This thread

cderrick14

May 14, 2012
Guelph
I find my Galaxy Nexus too big, and I am very intrigued by this phone. It looks like I can get it new and unlocked for about $130-160 on Ebay and it has about the same, if not better specs than my Gnex.

Could anyone offer me any arguments for or against this move?

killall-q

Mar 1, 2011
killall-q.deviantart.com
Don't factor unlocked into your buying decision, you can unlock it yourself once you have root.

The "cons":
- "Only" 16 gb of storage (yet I don't know anyone who puts 16 gb of anything on their phone)
- "Mid range" specs (I've tested the most graphically intense games out there and they run smoothly)
- Size
- Facebook Home (not worth mentioning, we're on XDA)

The real cons:
- The camera is relatively weak but it improves with this mod.
- No expandable storage
- No removable battery
- Little attention

The pros:
- High PPI
- Specs
- Good battery life
- LTE, NFC
- Size
- Solid construction
- Matte finish

I don't understand why so few people care about this phone but go gaga over the One Mini, they're practically twins specwise. I guess people just like shiny things :) I'm a Thinkpad kinda guy so the First looks better to me.

People are trying to port the One Mini's stock 4.2.2 rom, once that's successful we might see Cyanogen on the First. Until then I'd recommend sticking to stock, JMZ's sense rom has a few issues.

Reactions: cderrick14

cderrick14

May 14, 2012
Guelph
Thank You for the information.

I actually consider size one of my primary motivations for going this route. I find most modern phones way too large, and I sure as hell do not want to go the Iphone route. This phone seems like a really awesome phone that just wasn't marketed properly.

I do not mind the mid range specs, and my Gnex already is stuck at 16gb with no expandable storage, and while the battery is removable, its still a pretty weak battery.

I hope to be able to get one off Ebay sometime in the next couple of weeks, wait for the right deal.

killall-q

Mar 1, 2011
killall-q.deviantart.com
In the first set of cons I was referring to things that reviewers have complained about. I kid you not, they complained about screen size after using their Galaxy phones for so long. They complained about numbers in benchmarks that are nigh unnoticeable in actual use. Then they spend the rest of the review bashing FB home which can be turned off with 2 taps.

cderrick14

May 14, 2012
Guelph
Well, I purchased a HTC First today off of Ebay. I should be getting it by the end of next week. Pretty excited.

This phone needs a micro sim, not a regular sim is that right?

brooksbarnard

Jun 22, 2012
I find my Galaxy Nexus too big, and I am very intrigued by this phone. It looks like I can get it new and unlocked for about $130-160 on Ebay and it has about the same, if not better specs than my Gnex.

Could anyone offer me any arguments for or against this move?

I thought the HTC First was pretty great coming from the Galaxy Nexus. If you compare screen sizes, the ammount of display available on the Gnex is about equal to what's available on the First due to the on screen buttons on the GNex. I think the First is faster, has a prettier display, and has a really unique look along with LTE. That being said, my biggest complaint is that the phone is a forgotten phone already. There's no development support which is a huge bummer. I'd LOVE it if I could throw CM or AOKP on this device. It would be a dream come true.

drumsforjs

Dec 25, 2009
La Habra, California
I just got this phone and my mom took over my lg optimus g on sprint and put in a straight talk at&t LTE capable micro Sim card. I like the size and stock aosp. Coming from a rooted lg optimus g running pacman.

Sent from my HTC first using xda app-developers app

russian392

Apr 30, 2012
Simpsonville, SC
We have unofficial cm ports coming so we have some support. But HTC told me that its been discontinued.

Um, ya camera isn't as good as I would like, but hen I was picking between a used one x and this I picked the first cause 1.4ghz is a lot, my hands are small so 4.7 inches is too much and the used one x was 220$ while I got this for 155$ brand new.

Sent from my LG-P506 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Don't factor unlocked into your buying decision, you can unlock it yourself once you have root.

The "cons":
    - "Only" 16 gb of storage (yet I don't know anyone who puts 16 gb of anything on their phone)
    - "Mid range" specs (I've tested the most graphically intense games out there and they run smoothly)
    - Size
    - Facebook Home (not worth mentioning, we're on XDA)

The real cons:
    - The camera is relatively weak but it improves with this mod.
    - No expandable storage
    - No removable battery
    - Little attention

The pros:
    - High PPI
    - Specs
    - Good battery life
    - LTE, NFC
    - Size
    - Solid construction
    - Matte finish

I don't understand why so few people care about this phone but go gaga over the One Mini, they're practically twins specwise. I guess people just like shiny things :) I'm a Thinkpad kinda guy so the First looks better to me.

People are trying to port the One Mini's stock 4.2.2 rom, once that's successful we might see Cyanogen on the First. Until then I'd recommend sticking to stock, JMZ's sense rom has a few issues.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone