thinking of buying the poco x3 nfc, need advice!

jaikat

Nov 26, 2009
i read here and elsewhere about some issues with this device, but i can't tell for sure if its common or just certain people who were unfortunate.. i have a few questions and i hope you guys could help..
1- is there a common issue with wifi and/or cellular(LTE, 4G, 3G) connectivity in this device, such as dropped calls, dropped signal, wifi misbehaving ?
2- is there a common issue regarding the stereo speakers? (some say people around could hear the person you're talking to on the phone, others say the phone vibrates when playing music!)..
3- is it possible to set the display refresh to say 60hz from settings, or does it change automatically and can't be controlled by the user?
4- are there any common issues with custom roms, for example custom roms for the note 8 pro all have issues with automatic brightness and maybe a few more things!!
5- is there anything else i should know or worry about regarding this model?

hope you guys could help. thank you.

Slim K

May 16, 2015
i read here and elsewhere about some issues with this device, but i can't tell for sure if its common or just certain people who were unfortunate.. i have a few questions and i hope you guys could help..
1- is there a common issue with wifi and/or cellular(LTE, 4G, 3G) connectivity in this device, such as dropped calls, dropped signal, wifi misbehaving ?
2- is there a common issue regarding the stereo speakers? (some say people around could hear the person you're talking to on the phone, others say the phone vibrates when playing music!)..
3- is it possible to set the display refresh to say 60hz from settings, or does it change automatically and can't be controlled by the user?
4- are there any common issues with custom roms, for example custom roms for the note 8 pro all have issues with automatic brightness and maybe a few more things!!
5- is there anything else i should know or worry about regarding this model?

hope you guys could help. thank you.
This phone is the most bang for your buck imo, but nothing is perfect, so to answer your questions:
  1. Signal strength in this phone is absolutely great, especially the 4G+/LTE+ mode (if your carrier supports it). If i were to to compare Poco x3 to high end devices, I would compare it to a Samsung Note 9 or in the similar generation/production year. Some Custom ROMs have issues with 5GHz wifi reception, but on most of them and stock MIUI you will find no issues.
  2. After MIUI 12.0.4.0 (currently 12.0.7.0 is latest) the speaker problem was resolved. It mostly was due to the fact that calles were handled in stereo mode instead of mono and the treble was too high, but It was noticed quickly and dealt with. Music will still rumble a bit in highest volume, although it gives the bass a better boost (people here have different opinions on this issue).
  3. If you plan to use the phone at stock MIUI, you will get two refresh rate options: 60Hz and 120Hz, both of which are dynamically adjusted to the content you are on. For example youtube will scale down to 30Hz when watching a video regardless of which option you chose. Custom ROMs (all of them) have this feature/annoyance called displayfeature hal removed and have added a 90Hz mode as well. So a stock experience isn't advised.
  4. Nothing notable comes to mind. Ok maybe Camera is slightly an issue, but Gcam is getting better everyday where it's almost the same as stock cam (if not better). If you divide different xda phone forums into alpha, beta and stable, then our phone has already transitioned from beta to stable status. You have missed the "beta" phase by a few months now.
  5. Like all Xiaomi devices, EDL mode is locked. Meaning a hard brick is costly to fix/repair. If you never flashed a phone shipped with android 10 before (most people haven't), then read all instructions very carefully, especially recovery threads. Magisk CTS sometimes doesn't pass, but that issue isn't really exclusive to this device.

I have bought two devices. One early in September, which has no issues. The other I had to return recently due to QC issues, as it only had 85% battery capacity (from official seller), so my advice would be to check everything including sensors and battery. If everything looks ok, then you're all set.