Thinking of leaving Windows Phone for Android?

Search This thread
E

everreadybattery

Why should you argue about which OS is better? If you like android like it if you like WP like it... It's about YOUR OPINION!

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

Nicolfa

Mar 18, 2007
Clover
@yenkoPR those "free" apk's your side loading wouldn't be illegal would they. I find its the second most common reason a user asks me to root a device, free tethering being the first. Both circumventing paying for a legal product (I know of a few needed side load apps for companies but not many for pure consumer use). This is the exact reason WP doesn't allow unverified xap to work without store checking, its a feature not a fault with the os.

Sent from my RM-878_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

E

everreadybattery

Yeah but cracked apps are ideal for you to try the game and decide if you will buy it ;)

VSparxx

Oct 23, 2011
No.

Yeah but cracked apps are ideal for you to try the game and decide if you will buy it ;)

Ummm....no, ideal would be to have a try button in the marketplace, and fortunately WP has one, I wouldn't think someone who sideloaded a cracked app. will then buy it, those things just don't work together well.

E

everreadybattery

Ummm....no, ideal would be to have a try button in the marketplace, and fortunately WP has one, I wouldn't think someone who sideloaded a cracked app. will then buy it, those things just don't work together well.

Do all apps have this try buttons? Some android apps have a seperate trial version but as wp not all of them ;) And in some ways trial apps are not represantive of the real app ;)

VSparxx

Oct 23, 2011
Do all apps have this try buttons? Some android apps have a seperate trial version but as wp not all of them ;) And in some ways trial apps are not represantive of the real app ;)

Well, the try button is available on a vast majority of paid apps.. usually if there isn't a try button then it's a popular app. or game and the developer did think there isn't need for a try button.

RM-821 / Tapatalk

Last edited:
E

everreadybattery

OK. You won't change your opinion. Anyway yes installing cracked apps it's illegal and not right because you don't support the developers but that doesn't actually means that we could install apps only from the store... Take for example PCs where you can download a programme and then install it.

Gennew

Oct 13, 2013
wp is surely the best bt app wise,even symbian is better and am seriously considering risking the change hard as it may be.....

huynhtran38

Mar 31, 2014
according to his opinion that his thgif still easier to use than android, from virtual keyboard layout 2 2 key home side very scientific. iphne or WindowsPhone nhieuf longer when it's inconvenient!

joestrouth1

Aug 3, 2011
I like both. I use both daily. Try and buy what will work best for you, that's really all there is to the debate.

As far as cracked apps, xda is pretty much the worst place on the internet to talk about getting paid software for free. You may have your own views but most here do not take kindly to circumventing the law to use someone else's work for free and then bragging about it or asking for help doing more of it.

ddaflorez

Oct 21, 2012
Mm guess im getting in love with wp after being using android for years. Had a galaxy s5 and that phone was a beast ! Performance, smoothness everything was perfect. But i switched to wp because wanted to try something different. I must say that i miss hundred of apps and that at the beginning i was getting frustated for this. But after a month of use i must say that wp is getting better every day. Eventhoug i still miss some things of android The most i use wp it the most i like it.

Sent from my RM-937_eu_turkey_207 using Tapatalk

sardelich

Feb 14, 2009
Zagreb
if you find me anybody with android or iphone that didnt do any kind of hardware button reset or battery pull put in almost one year, then we can talk. August 2013 got my 920, did one hard reset after the 8.1 install.Heck, if I had power all the time, I think uptime would be 365 days. And I come from years of android usage. I just have to add that there is no dropbox and i need manual ip settings on wifi and proper mp3 player that can play folders, but the build quality and stabilty is just f... awesome. And camera, oh well...get me all those samsung iphone htc users...low light 4 mpx sensors :D :D this is nokia with zeiss after all ;)

E

everreadybattery

Thats why the Windows Phone Store also has the option to 'Try' before you buy!!!!
Welcome to the future.... :D

My brother has a WP and really the try option is in 5% of the paid apps he wants to try. For example Asphalt 8 when it was paid because now is free didnt have a try option. I dont say of course go crack all the apps, I do not. And remember that Play Store apps are 1,283,493 (source http://www.appbrain.com/stats/number-of-android-apps) and Windows Phone Store apps passed 255,000 in Januare this year (source http://www.gsmarena.com/windows_pho...apps_10_million_downloads_a_day-news-8843.php). This is a great increase but Play Store apps again are more... Anyway you can buy whichever product you want each one has their advantages and disadvanstages

davidstech11

Jun 17, 2011
CA
Holy $#!^ don't do it! I had some issues with the WP8 upgrade that upset me enough to try out the competition. I left the Lumia 920 for the HTC One 4 months ago. I will say that having apps for everything and the ability to flash Rom's is cool, but that's about it. The OS sucks. I have jotted down some of my personal grievances in case anyone who thinks like me is thinking of switching. This will hopefully prevent a ton of wasted time and money.

•Overall OS is buggy and a total resource hog. It requires premium hardware specs to deliver an experience close to the smoothness and fluidity found in Windows Phone and iOS, but still doesn’t achieve that. And don’t even think about matching performance of budget Android phones vs. budget Windows Phones, not even in the same league.

•It requires almost daily reboot’s to keep performance from suffering or the OS from completely crashing. This usually depends on how many apps I use on any given day but is still far, far lower in performance reliability than Windows Phone.

•It is the most virus prone mobile OS available. This is pretty huge. In addition, Google data mines every account you set up on the phone. As soon as I set up my company IMAP account, and I mean, next day, I started receiving junk for the first time in 4 years. Absolutely unforgivable.

•Touch responsiveness is a joke. The delay on the keyboard response, for example, when you’re used to iOS or WP is unbearable for me and feels super low quality

•The graphics and icons are kind of toy which requires a launcher and icon pack to remedy. Even then, most packs I tried only covered half the apps I needed and the remaining app icons looked stupid. So I had to individually edit icons to get something acceptable to me.

•Communication apps are horrible. Mail, Contacts, Messaging and Dialer apps can all be replaced by better alternatives, but you run into issues when using one Dev’s dialer, another’s contacts app because the contacts app has a dialer that sucks and vice versa but when both are installed...... Forget it. It’s all a confusing mess that forced me back to the stock applications experience, which sucks.

•Most Android users and developers will tell you that the only way to get the best performance out of Android is to flash a custom ROM. In other words, Google has done such a rookie job on this OS that a community of non-paid hobbyists (Who are incredibly talented and people who help others to seemingly no end) are the go to guys when you want to achieve today’s standards in smartphone performance! Only, not all ROM’s are created equally and aside from the pains of flashing until you find something you like, you risk bricking your phone and voiding the warranty. Google should hire these Dev's and release something quality from the gate!

•Music library management is so painful for me. I, like many people have used iTunes for years and also used Zune and Xbox Music. Apple is the obvious winner here as iTunes works seamlessly with iOS. Windows Phone has a clean little desktop app that syncs my iTunes playlists and songs, but it’s an extra step. Android requires a desktop app and Android app combo. There are a bunch and the one I found the least annoying was TuneSync but I couldn’t get it to work via USB so it took an eternity to sync a few playlists. And, the stock music player is ****.

Honestly, I don't understand how Android has the explosive market share it's enjoying today, I hate it. When I compare it to Windows Phone or iOS, it's like a cheap knock off of what a smartphone OS is supposed to feel like. They have apps, lots of apps and some of which I will really miss. But the OS? When comparing straight up performance, integration of services, stability and reliability, polish, fluidity and built in communication suite, for me it's no contest and I can't wait to get back to Windows Phone!

Hope this helps someone!

LOL, BS

vnvman

Oct 31, 2009
Alba
As a dude who stayed 2 years on WP, moving from 7 to 7.5 to 7.8 to 8 to 8.1 all I can say is this. Grass is always greener...
There are pros and cons, and if you are me every time you move you get too hard on the cons. What I like on android is the ability to do some of those "neat" things, like eg downloading a PDF file, converting it to a .mobi file and read it through the kindle app, I like to be able to download, edit and share any file and all that. These are things that are indeed cool but I don't get to do them very often after all. The other stuff is pretty much meh for me, customization theming and all that are fun for a little while, then the magic ends and I normally stick with a very basic theme, two home screens with a grid of apps, the few I really use. Widgets are worthless at the end of the day, I just wanna open my apps FAST when I need them. Currently I'm on the Nexus 5 and I find myself missing the very good night shots on my Lumia, the spotless audio footage from concerts and stuff, and the great sun readability.
My next phone will most likely be a WP again, given that something comes by with a massive screen and great hardware. Maybe out of boredom, maybe just for a change, but I decided not to think about it till the end of the year anyway. Probably the two options after lots of inner fights are just equal right now for me, simple as that.

Last edited:

kal_el_x

Jul 9, 2014
As an owner of both a newer android device as well as a higher end WP8 handset, heres what I have to say

Apps - Yes android has more and more polished apps. The gap is closing rapidly though and I increasingly only use android for some apps not available on WP8 yet (BBM, flipboard). However, if apps are important to you then go ahead with android or iOS without second thoughts. Windows Phone still has a few years to catch up in that department.

Smoothness - This is one thing you get spoiled with when using WP8. Ive been using the 925 for an year now and I still notice how fluid the UI is. Absolutely butter smooth operation with zero lag. Ive used low end WP8 devices like the 520 as well and they are the same. WP8 is easily the smoothest OS followed by iOS. So when I got my S5 i was a little disappointed how it had lag when scrolling through the menus or in the browser and had to get Nova launcher immediately. Tried the Z2 as well but it was even slower with even more scrolling lag. Out of the box, the galaxy s5 and Z2 are light years slower than the year old 925 when it comes to UI.

Intuitive - When I got the galaxy S5 and saw the wall of icons, it was a little overpowering at first. Android throws everything at you all at once while WP8 is far more organized and intuitive. Even the language used in the various menus and tabs in the UI is far more natural and uses full sentences that resemble speech. The only thing that comes to mind when using WP8 is 'Ease of use'.

Screen wise, the lumia has better sun light legibility while the galaxy S5 is larger and sharper and watching 1080p videos on it is breath taking. Water proofing comes in more handy than expected and the camera overpowers the 925s unit with ease. In low light however, the 925 holds its own and even surpasses, especially if used on a tripod thanks to its available 4 second shutter speed time.

Overall both phones are good in their own regards, the galaxy S5 is a monster when it comes to raw processing power but Android holds it back. If the same hardware was running WP8 it wouldve been a dream phone. As you can see, even though I use my GS5 for the apps, the 925 is still my daily driver thanks to its stability, reliability and smooth performance.

Please excuses the shaky Q10 photo

Attachments

• phones1.jpg
    phones1.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 180

lohtse

Apr 1, 2009
Where ever they send Me!!
As a BIG android fan(have 10 plus devices) using in wp is a HUGE learning curve and one that I am struggling with..

for me it's mostly the lack of good apps and the locking down of the OS..

Simply things like changing sdcards (have 520) are just a pain. I move a lot of apps to SDcard(too many with data to move back) and now would seem I will have to do a hard reset and reinstall them WTF!!!! I understand the need for security etc but please could they not add a function to allow a reinstall instead of a hard reset!!!?? At least with android when moving roms or changing cards you can restore from a back up and even ios you can via itunes!!

The lack of functions in most apps is pathetic when compared to IOS and Android too.. Just look at sms and phone functions and again compare them... they hark back to the days before smartphones, and are almost child like!!!!

But having said all this... WinPhone is awesome for stability and speed... So fluid and usable... As a phone and OS it has a LOT of growing up to do and MS need to listen to the users and sort out issues and features.. And when they do it will become a killer OS...

Last edited:

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Allowing apps to send SMS directly is what gets you the massive numbers of malware apps that send premium SMS without your knowledge. There's a very good reason WP8 doesn't allow apps to do thing that may cost you money (like placing calls or sending SMS) without you explicitly choosing to do so!

Reactions: sensboston
E

everreadybattery

Allowing apps to send SMS directly is what gets you the massive numbers of malware apps that send premium SMS without your knowledge. There's a very good reason WP8 doesn't allow apps to do thing that may cost you money (like placing calls or sending SMS) without you explicitly choosing to do so!
Every time an app tries to send an SMS message it warns you. Of you want you can skip this warning for future SMS. Also I think that there is not malware in android. At first when you install an app it tells you which permission this app has ( eg camera ,sdcard,internet etc). Then you can always uninstall it if you find it suspicious (I have never found one) and also you can read the reviews and feedbacks of other users. BTW this thread has gone off topic or I am the only one thinking so??

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Holy $#!^ don't do it! I had some issues with the WP8 upgrade that upset me enough to try out the competition. I left the Lumia 920 for the HTC One 4 months ago. I will say that having apps for everything and the ability to flash Rom's is cool, but that's about it. The OS sucks. I have jotted down some of my personal grievances in case anyone who thinks like me is thinking of switching. This will hopefully prevent a ton of wasted time and money.

• Overall OS is buggy and a total resource hog. It requires premium hardware specs to deliver an experience close to the smoothness and fluidity found in Windows Phone and iOS, but still doesn’t achieve that. And don’t even think about matching performance of budget Android phones vs. budget Windows Phones, not even in the same league.

• It requires almost daily reboot’s to keep performance from suffering or the OS from completely crashing. This usually depends on how many apps I use on any given day but is still far, far lower in performance reliability than Windows Phone.

• It is the most virus prone mobile OS available. This is pretty huge. In addition, Google data mines every account you set up on the phone. As soon as I set up my company IMAP account, and I mean, next day, I started receiving junk for the first time in 4 years. Absolutely unforgivable.

• Touch responsiveness is a joke. The delay on the keyboard response, for example, when you’re used to iOS or WP is unbearable for me and feels super low quality

• The graphics and icons are kind of toy which requires a launcher and icon pack to remedy. Even then, most packs I tried only covered half the apps I needed and the remaining app icons looked stupid. So I had to individually edit icons to get something acceptable to me.

• Communication apps are horrible. Mail, Contacts, Messaging and Dialer apps can all be replaced by better alternatives, but you run into issues when using one Dev’s dialer, another’s contacts app because the contacts app has a dialer that sucks and vice versa but when both are installed...... Forget it. It’s all a confusing mess that forced me back to the stock applications experience, which sucks.

• Most Android users and developers will tell you that the only way to get the best performance out of Android is to flash a custom ROM. In other words, Google has done such a rookie job on this OS that a community of non-paid hobbyists (Who are incredibly talented and people who help others to seemingly no end) are the go to guys when you want to achieve today’s standards in smartphone performance! Only, not all ROM’s are created equally and aside from the pains of flashing until you find something you like, you risk bricking your phone and voiding the warranty. Google should hire these Dev's and release something quality from the gate!

• Music library management is so painful for me. I, like many people have used iTunes for years and also used Zune and Xbox Music. Apple is the obvious winner here as iTunes works seamlessly with iOS. Windows Phone has a clean little desktop app that syncs my iTunes playlists and songs, but it’s an extra step. Android requires a desktop app and Android app combo. There are a bunch and the one I found the least annoying was TuneSync but I couldn’t get it to work via USB so it took an eternity to sync a few playlists. And, the stock music player is ****.

Honestly, I don't understand how Android has the explosive market share it's enjoying today, I hate it. When I compare it to Windows Phone or iOS, it's like a cheap knock off of what a smartphone OS is supposed to feel like. They have apps, lots of apps and some of which I will really miss. But the OS? When comparing straight up performance, integration of services, stability and reliability, polish, fluidity and built in communication suite, for me it's no contest and I can't wait to get back to Windows Phone!

Hope this helps someone!
    nahh, its just you.

1) I dont have to reboot my phone. my uptime is like 100 hrs, and no lag or bugs or anything like tat.

2) what are you doing.. seriously? two questions. did you install porn? -virus+spam and how many instant messaging apps do you have? -lag

3) icons are smth i complain about as well. android and iOS is the same type of icons. windows give a sense of class.

4) itunes, seriously?? i stop using my ipod coz of itunes, i threw away my iphone coz of itunes. music syncing is a piece of crap, especially on a home computer.

5) touch responsiveness? i tink you got to send ur unit to the service centre, probably got a faulty unit

6) custom roms are there for a reason. Google provide a vanilla rom: smooth and minimal. All the other manufacturers are making their own rom=lag/useless. So custom rom are made for ppl to give variety, like PA having hybrid prop, and aokp having lots of stuff to customise.

7) Communication app problem? its coz ur used to ur WP. when i use WP, i feel like throwing it away too.

8) music app really kinda sucks tho, i just stream.

Windows phone really look classy, and i like the feel. but with the limitation, it obviously show why the market share keeps dropping.
    iOS-getting outdated. iOS 7 looks cool, but usability is so last decade
    WP- classy, for non-tech people who is so lazy to make their phone look special
    Android- too much customization, but everyone's device is unique. well except those non-techie again.
    Ubuntu- cool, but still buggy.
    You just dun get ride in Android OS for my opinion...lol
    For me Android is great, not so like Windows Mobile, iOS still ok if for daily use.
    Of course if in smoothness Windows phone and iOS are more smooth than Android, but that's got something Android can found but other OS can't found one; and also in Android 4.3 this problem is finally solve (by using my Nexus 7 2nd gen)
    For my opinion, Android is more to those engineering ppl, Windows phone is more to business ppl

Android for engineer people? What exactly has android that helps "engineer" people?
    I made the mistake of getting a WP8 phone after being an Android fan for some time. I currently own a Nokia Lumia WP8, an iPhone 5 for work and the Galaxy S and Galaxy S2 in a drawer at the house.

No phone is perfect, Android has it's share of issues, as does iOS as does WP8. It's just that Android and iPhone can at least do the things they do and do it well. WP8 still doesn't have a decent facebook app or decent map app, the data speeds are significantly slower than other android/ios phones that are on the same network....

I would disagree with most of this except push notifications . I have done a few data speed tests because I was suspicious that the One was actually slower but apps like speedtest reflected comparable results for my wife's Lumia 920 vs. my One. Nokia's Maps are really nice, better experience than Apples but I do like Google's offering the best. More points:

Battery: My phone is off the charger at 7 a.m. and back on at 10 p.m. I operate a small business so tons of talk time tons of navigation, I notice no difference in battery performance from my 920 to the One

OS Customizing: Don't really care about this but its true. I have tried 10 to 15 launchers and God knows how many Rom's trying to customize an experience that Android can't deliver. I like the WP OS and really have no desire to make any changes to it with the exception of a few features I would like MS to add.

Apps - I think I already addressed this

Browser - I would go heads up with any browser vs. IE 10 mobile. To say its not decent is just old school MS bash talk to me. Its fast & fluid like everything built in to the OS

But, I defend Windows Phone because I like it and feel like the experience it offers is superior to what I get from Android. You obviously feel the same about Android. I'm only writing this because I think people can tell when someone thinks the way they do, so for people who think like I do and love the Windows Phone OS, my advice is that you stay put unless you can afford to play around with competing devices.

BTW I bashed Android without pointing out what I love about Windows Phone:

People Hub – deep social integration with Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Skype and offers superior groups and room’s options
    Search – Instant results for local eating, shopping and events. Integrated music DNA search, integrated vision search supporting barcodes, QR, MS Tags, CD, DVD and book covers.
    Groups – Offers users the ability to share group calendar, group OneNote notebook, group pictures and group chatting
    Messaging – Facebook chat integration and integrated location sharing etc.
    Dynamic Icons – Instead of a static image Live Tiles provide live updates and can be pinned in 3 different sizes
    Deep App Pinning – Instead of just an eBay icon, users can pin an eBay item tile to the Start screen and view updated information right from that tile. Or, pin an actual TuneIn station.
    Microsoft Office – Free and complete Microsoft Office mobile suite
    Kid’s Corner – Cool to keep the kids in a sandbox
    Online Backup – SkyDrive integration offers backup features for photos, instant photo upload, music, documents, phone app list and phone settings. The SkyDrive capabilities on Windows OS makes sharing and using data across smartphone and tablet or PC seamless and better than any competing option
    I made the mistake of getting a WP8 phone after being an Android fan for some time. I currently own a Nokia Lumia WP8, an iPhone 5 for work and the Galaxy S and Galaxy S2 in a drawer at the house.

No phone is perfect, Android has it's share of issues, as does iOS as does WP8. It's just that Android and iPhone can at least do the things they do and do it well. WP8 still doesn't have a decent facebook app or decent map app, the data speeds are significantly slower than other android/ios phones that are on the same network, push notifications sometimes don't come through until far after the notification was originally pushed. Battery life is sub-par, little customization of the OS, even the larger and more popular applications that actually do manage to make it to WP8 end up having their gui re-written and tailored to look like the rest of WP8 which actually becomes pretty boring and mundane after a while, you can't even get any decent browser options like Chrome, Firefox or even Opera for that matter. Instead, what you end up finding are a bunch of knock-off applications written by little-known dev companies or freelance programmers with all sorts of Chinese, Indian or Russian sounding names that are garbage and do who-knows-what in the background.

I could go on, but suffice it to say, this will likely be my last Windows Phone purchase. The WP8 gui looks decent and is snappy and smooth but beyond that, it doesn't do a whole lot.