Thinking of purchasing a 5T, few questions

Search This thread

danielzyy

May 21, 2011
Hey guys, been using Stock androids since 2012 [Nexus 4 -> S6 for a week -> Nexus 5X -> Mi 6 (3 months now)]
After raging on the crappy Mi6 software (honestly this device just wasnt meant to work with Google apps) -
I decided Im going back to something that is close to Stock.

I was looking on the A1 and the 5T. The 5T costs exactly 250% over here.
I honestly dont care much about the money, as long as it doesnt extremely expensive like the Pixel (Googled pulled an Apple with the Pixels).

• Is Oxygen close enough to stock? what are the main differences?
  • I kinda liked Cyanogen back in the days, is it similar?
  • I want to root my device, is that an easy process with the 5T?
  • Will I still be getting OTA updates with root?

kgs1992

May 8, 2012
Bangalore
Is Oxygen close enough to stock? what are the main differences?

It's very very close to stock. The main differences are mostly some customization (buttons, gestures, etc.) and themes (dark/light, accent colours). And the OnePlus launcher, which I honestly don't like (prefer Action Launcher).

I kinda liked Cyanogen back in the days, is it similar?

I would say it's close. There's just enough of the stuff to make it close to stock android, but with all the small bells and whistles which add to the experience rather than take away from it.

I want to root my device, is that an easy process with the 5T?

Yes.
  1. Code:
    fastboot oem unlock
  2. Code:
    fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
    or
    Code:
    fastboot boot twrp.img
  3. Then flash Magisk/SuperSU to root.

Will I still be getting OTA updates with root?

Support for rooted devices is excellent. OnePlus always uploads their new ROMs so that even rooted users can flash the stock ROMs through TWRP.

Reactions: danielzyy

danielzyy

May 21, 2011
It's very very close to stock. The main differences are mostly some customization (buttons, gestures, etc.) and themes (dark/light, accent colours). And the OnePlus launcher, which I honestly don't like (prefer Action Launcher).

I would say it's close. There's just enough of the stuff to make it close to stock android, but with all the small bells and whistles which add to the experience rather than take away from it.

Yes.
  1. Code:
    fastboot oem unlock
  2. Code:
    or
    Code:
    fastboot boot twrp.img

Support for rooted devices is excellent. OnePlus always uploads their new ROMs so that even rooted users can flash the stock ROMs through TWRP.

You honestly answered all my questions perfectly
Thanks!:cowboy:
\thread

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Is Oxygen close enough to stock? what are the main differences?

I kinda liked Cyanogen back in the days, is it similar?

I want to root my device, is that an easy process with the 5T?

Yes.
    1. Code:
      fastboot oem unlock
    2. Code:
      or
      Code:
      fastboot boot twrp.img

Will I still be getting OTA updates with root?

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone