• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Thinking Of Switching From Sony Xperia XZ Premium To Xperia XA2 Ultra

Search This thread

kanej2006

Mar 22, 2008
London
Advantages of XA2 Ultra over XZ Premium:

- Substantially larger screen
- Most likely much better battery life
- Battery friendly CPU consuming less power than Snapdragon 835 yet not far behind with regards to real life performance
- Possibly better camera sensor and image processing
- Far better front selfie camera with flash

Advantages of XZ Premium over XA2 Ultra:

- Slightly better CPU although more power consumption
- 4K Screen with far higher PPI
- Side finger print sensor more practical than rear

What do others think? I think the XA2 is a superior and excellent super mid ranger having an excellent balance between everything. I think the XZ Premium having a small 5.5'' screen is not large enough for 4k content and see it is wasted. 1080P for a 5.5'' display is enough.

Also, I rarely view 4k content since most movies are still only 1080P! Why have a 4k screen when it's barely used and 5.5'' is too small for 4k content.

Remember, this is simply my opinion and I'm not saying I'm right. I would love to hear what others think. What are your opinions for the upcoming XA2 Ultra compared to our XZ Premium?

I am dying for a full review on the XA2 Ultra and have a feeling it's gonna be one of the best, if not the best upcoming super mid ranger phones for a very affordable price. Just like it's predecessor, the XA1, it just may have a superior screen, high brightness, high contrast, decent enough PPI, hopefully an improved and tuned AF system with better images processing, less image noise and sharper corners, etc.

Reactions: oF2pks

kanej2006

Mar 22, 2008
London
The XA2 (ultra) uses a snapdragon 630,not a 660. According to this website it has roughly 60% the power of the 835.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Qualcomm-Snapdragon-630-SoC.248254.0.html

Not bad having 60% of the power. I however did make a mistake by referring to the 660 and not the 630, a big fail by me. :(

That said, I am looking forward to reading a full review on the XA2 Ultra once officially released.

At least the phone is running Oreo out the box so should perform at it's best.

Last edited:

kanej2006

Mar 22, 2008
London
Personally i wouldn't upgrade from the XZ premium to any current/confirmed phone in the market.

I know what you mean. Personally I'm very happy with my XZ Premium, only let down I WISH it was slightly bigger. Amazing super sharp 4k screen but such a small 5.5" only. I really hope the XZ Premium replacement will be around 6'' in size which would make 4k an even better experience.

All other LG/Samsung/HTC & Apple flagship all 6'' 2k screen yet we have a smaller bet better screen, this is my frustration with XZ Premium.

Main thing I like about the XA2 Ultra is the larger 6'' screen. Hopefully later on this year we will see a 5.7-6'' screen on the XZ Premium.

Jan 12, 2015

- Battery friendly CPU consuming less power than Snapdragon 835 yet not far behind with regards to real life performance

What do others think? I think the XA2 is a superior and excellent super mid ranger having an excellent balance between everything. I think the XZ Premium having a small 5.5'' screen is not large enough for 4k content and see it is wasted. 1080P for a 5.5'' display is enough.

Also, I rarely view 4k content since most movies are still only 1080P! Why have a 4k screen when it's barely used and 5.5'' is too small for 4k content.

Remember, this is simply my opinion and I'm not saying I'm right. I would love to hear what others think. What are your opinions for the upcoming XA2 Ultra compared to our XZ Premium?

I am dying for a full review on the XA2 Ultra and have a feeling it's gonna be one of the best, if not the best upcoming super mid ranger phones for a very affordable price. Just like it's predecessor, the XA1, it just may have a superior screen, high brightness, high contrast, decent enough PPI, hopefully an improved and tuned AF system with better images processing, less image noise and sharper corners, etc.
you are joking right?!
the XZP is a high end phone and the XA2 is a mid range phone dude, there is alot of advantages over the XA2
1. 4K HDR screen.
2. 3D scanner.
3. laser sensor.
4. much faster CPU.
5. more powerful GPU.
6. capable of decoding (playing) a high bit rate videos like 70Mbps and over (HDR content).
7. capable of capturing a 960fps.
plus theres no any advantages in the images processing or the contrast, cuz its the same since the release of the Z2, like X-Reality and the Triluminos Tech, the only different is the HDR screen, there might be a different in the brightness but the XZP has a decent brightness level.
as for the 5.5 screen that is not enough for the the 4K res, well it depends on your eye some people can tell the different and some cant, for me i can see the different between 4k and FHD, I've my XZP side by side with my friend's Note 8 2K 6.2 inchs screen, and i have noticed a slight different in the details, the note 8 had a better black level though, colors and the sharpness goes for the XZP, I also put it against a galaxy C7 a 1080p 5.7 inchs display, the details where noticeable.

Last edited:

kanej2006

Mar 22, 2008
London
you are joking right?!
the XZP is a high end phone and the XA2 is a mid range phone dude, there is alot of advantages over the XA2
1. 4K HDR screen.
2. 3D scanner.
3. laser sensor.
4. much faster CPU.
5. more powerful GPU.
6. capable of decoding (playing) a high bit rate videos like 70Mbps and over (HDR content).
7. capable of capturing a 960fps.
plus theres no any advantages in the images processing or the contrast, cuz its the same since the release of the Z2, like X-Reality and the Triluminos Tech, the only different is the HDR screen, there might be a different in the brightness but the XZP has a decent brightness level.
as for the 5.5 screen that is not enough for the the 4K res, well it depends on your eye some people can tell the different and some cant, for me i can see the different between 4k and FHD, My XZP side by side with my friend's Note 8 2K 6.2 inchs screen, and i have noticed a slight different in the details, the note 8 had a better black level though, colors and the sharpness goes for the XZP, I also put it against a galaxy C7 a 1080p 5.7 inchs displa, the details where noticeable.

But having 4k on a 5.5'' screen is a waste. Sony should have made the phone around 6'' to make better use of 4k. Most content is also only 1080P and non HDR so this is also wasted and hardly ever used...

Jan 12, 2015
But having 4k on a 5.5'' screen is a waste. Sony should have made the phone around 6'' to make better use of 4k. Most content is also only 1080P and non HDR so this is also wasted and hardly ever used...
I have to agree its a little waste, but there's a new High end Xperia is coming in February this year, rumors say it will have a top notch specs like 5.7 4k oled HDR screen, SD 845, 6gb of ram...etc

Last edited:

reiriop

Jan 29, 2014
New England

I agree with the 6" screen part, but for resolution are you serious? There isn't really a lack of 4K content anymore so if you are watching 1080P SDR that's your fault.

I have to agree its a little waste, but there's a new High end Xperia is coming in February this year, rumors say it will have a top notch specs like 5.7 4k oled HDR screen, SD 845, 6gb of ram...etc

This sounds too good to be true, not buying it until it's announced. Sony has a history of doing what they want instead of what makes sense. Guess we'll find out in about a month though.

jaseman

Aug 27, 2012
Spring
Not happy with the possibility of no headphone jack. But I suppose it makes it easier to make the phone more waterproof...one less hole to worry about.
If they supply us with a dongle...can that cost them less than just putting in the jack???

kanej2006

Mar 22, 2008
London
There's gonna be no headphone jack on the new flagship, if that's something you care for

I did read that. Very strange all the manufacturers are copying each other and ditching the headphone jack. Just means another adapter just to listen to music. :(

What I fear is what will they get rid of next. Memory card slot??

There was a recent poll on GSMArena with regards to the removal of the jack connection and 84% of users were against it!

https://www.gsmarena.com/sunday_debate_is_removing_the_headphone_jack_the_way_forward-news-29229.php

https://www.poll-maker.com/results2008393xF6234169-51#tab-2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just don't.

I have a Xperia XZ Premium as my daily driver and I got a XA2 Ultra from Sony to review, the phone was recently launched here, in Brazil.

After three days with this phone, I would say it is pretty decent considering the price (here in Brazil it costs something like US$ 549). I has a great overall look (even better than XZP's from some angles) and a FANTASTIC frontal camera, much better than XZP's (the wide-angle one is quite bad, but the main front-facing camera, the left side mounted one, is awesome). The back camera is okay, no surprises here.

Also, the battery is really good. Using auto brightness I could get 10 hours of screen-on time (Wi-Fi only). I'll test the usage on 4G/LTE in a few days.

Besides that, the phone is uncomparable to a XZP. The performance is okay for the price, but you clearly see that it isn't a flagship. I could experience a lot of laggy animations; the phone struggles with certain apps, like facebook, chrome and some games.

Also, the screen is not as colorful, even though is quite brighter. The back mounted fingerprint reader doesn't fail as much as the XZP's, but is harder to reach. Also, the phone is even worst than the XZP when you try to use it with one hand.

I don't know. I think that what amazes me with the XZP is it's fluidity, something that's noticeable even after all these months. I also tested the Galaxy S8+ some months ago and I can say that the XZP always outruns it when it comes to speed/fluidity. I wouldnt exchange this feature for a slightly better front camera and battery on the XA2 Ultra.

Also, the XA2 Ultra's back reminds you that Sony made no effort while creating this phone. It is beautiful, but only because the absence of side bezels.

I somewhat understand you. However, it is not right for manufacturers to FORCE us to use bluetooth headphones or adaptors. Bluetooth headphones are still not on par with wired headphones. High end head/earphones are inferior to any bluetooth headphone. I am an audiophile and will never switch to using bluetooth. They simply lack the quality of regular wired ones.
    Again, vocal minority. I would be willing to bet more than 50% of the real world users of this phone could care less about the headphone jack, unless the selfie stick they have isn't bluetooth and needs the 3.5mm jack. Pretty sure you meant to say head/earphones are superior to any bluetooth headphones, but that will likely only last a few more years potentially. Sony isn't forcing you to do anything, if you don't want to use an adapter, buy a phone that has a 3.5mm jack, but soon no good manufacturer will still be making a phone with one. If I want to listen to something in a higher quality I use a computer and a separate high quality DAC, not ideal when not at home but I typically listen to music/audio on my phone just to avoid noises at work or the gym. I'm not agreeing/disagreeing with the removal of it; I could care less either way honestly, I just think manufactures will continue to view audiophiles as the vocal minority.
    So my Xperia XA2 got here TODAY.. Very pleased
    Real Upgrade

As stated, that is not an upgrade. However, I would consider the new XZ2.