Thinking Of Switching From Sony Xperia XZ Premium To Xperia XA2 Ultra

Search This thread
Manufacturers always follow industry trends even when people are vocal about disagreeing, but I think those complaining about the headphone jack are the vocal minority because the majority of people probably just use bluetooth. It makes sense that Sony would do this though because all reviews of the XZ Premium complained about how Sony is 'behind' and the phone is 'dated' and bla bla bla, but then an image leaks of a Sony phone that follows the trends and gets rid of bezels and headphones jack and everyone starts whining about it.

kanej2006

Mar 22, 2008
London
Manufacturers always follow industry trends even when people are vocal about disagreeing, but I think those complaining about the headphone jack are the vocal minority because the majority of people probably just use bluetooth. It makes sense that Sony would do this though because all reviews of the XZ Premium complained about how Sony is 'behind' and the phone is 'dated' and bla bla bla, but then an image leaks of a Sony phone that follows the trends and gets rid of bezels and headphones jack and everyone starts whining about it.

I somewhat understand you. However, it is not right for manufacturers to FORCE us to use bluetooth headphones or adaptors. Bluetooth headphones are still not on par with wired headphones. High end head/earphones are inferior to any bluetooth headphone. I am an audiophile and will never switch to using bluetooth. They simply lack the quality of regular wired ones.

Just wait and get the xz 1 premium. It would be a much better buy

We'll see, I'll wait.

I somewhat understand you. However, it is not right for manufacturers to FORCE us to use bluetooth headphones or adaptors. Bluetooth headphones are still not on par with wired headphones. High end head/earphones are inferior to any bluetooth headphone. I am an audiophile and will never switch to using bluetooth. They simply lack the quality of regular wired ones.
Again, vocal minority. I would be willing to bet more than 50% of the real world users of this phone could care less about the headphone jack, unless the selfie stick they have isn't bluetooth and needs the 3.5mm jack. Pretty sure you meant to say head/earphones are superior to any bluetooth headphones, but that will likely only last a few more years potentially. Sony isn't forcing you to do anything, if you don't want to use an adapter, buy a phone that has a 3.5mm jack, but soon no good manufacturer will still be making a phone with one. If I want to listen to something in a higher quality I use a computer and a separate high quality DAC, not ideal when not at home but I typically listen to music/audio on my phone just to avoid noises at work or the gym. I'm not agreeing/disagreeing with the removal of it; I could care less either way honestly, I just think manufactures will continue to view audiophiles as the vocal minority.

Reactions: li0nh3art3d

kanej2006

Mar 22, 2008
London
Again, vocal minority. I would be willing to bet more than 50% of the real world users of this phone could care less about the headphone jack, unless the selfie stick they have isn't bluetooth and needs the 3.5mm jack. Pretty sure you meant to say head/earphones are superior to any bluetooth headphones, but that will likely only last a few more years potentially. Sony isn't forcing you to do anything, if you don't want to use an adapter, buy a phone that has a 3.5mm jack, but soon no good manufacturer will still be making a phone with one. If I want to listen to something in a higher quality I use a computer and a separate high quality DAC, not ideal when not at home but I typically listen to music/audio on my phone just to avoid noises at work or the gym. I'm not agreeing/disagreeing with the removal of it; I could care less either way honestly, I just think manufactures will continue to view audiophiles as the vocal minority.

I understand what you mean, sad but true. Audiophiles are already and will most likely always be seen as a the minority.

That said, I also use a quality DAC with a high end computer primarily to listen to audio simply being 99% of phones simply lack the power of a DAC. Bass and treble also far to weak.

In the meantime I am using phones with a 16:9 screen and a 3.5mm jack. Even the new 18:9 aspect ratio I'm against, many are but there is nothing we can do as soon most if not all manufacturers will adopt. I don't understand the new crave for this aspect ratio, only means we get left and right black letter boxes as well as many applications and games not being fully compatible. Even when using the pinch to zoom method we are losing the image as it's being cropped.

I will stick with the good old 16:9 aspect ratio screen and 3.5mm jack for as long as I can. :D:D

li0nh3art3d

Apr 22, 2016
Texas ?
most 3.5mm jacks on phones are 192kbps quality... Most Bluetooth (especially 5.0) are much higher than that..

think of 3.5mm headphones being like cat 3 cable and Bluetooth 5.0 being like wireless 802.11ac... 3.5mm jacks are going to become like cassette tapes as Bluetooth becomes the new industry standard for audiophiles. not just on phones, but on everything, as the transmission rate on Bluetooth keeps improving, 3.5mm jacks will become a thing of the past in almost all new consumer products with sound transmission.

Audiophiles are going to switch to digital fiber cables, not the dying, lower quality 3.5mm analog cables.

you want quality, you need fiber. fiber is the new cat6 cable.

Last edited:

oF2pks

May 22, 2016
Just warn that XA2 looks using A/B seamless update process.
https://github.com/sonyxperiadev/device-sony-nile/blob/master/platform.mk#L29

Considering that and the impossibility to backup TA without su, it could take a very long time before a skilled dev takes interest to port a working twrp (with encryption support ?).
Sad because with Treble +microSD +3/4Gb + Sony aosp github =350$, this device could have been the best development device for 2018 : sd630 is also the most friendly soc for battery (14nm 8xA53).
More info https://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_xa2-review-1714p3.php

Last edited:

li0nh3art3d

Apr 22, 2016
Texas ?
Just warn that XA2 looks using A/B seamless update process.
https://github.com/sonyxperiadev/device-sony-nile/blob/master/platform.mk#L29

Considering that and the impossibility to backup TA without su, it could take a very long time before a skilled dev takes interest to port a working twrp (with encryption support ?).
Sad because with Treble +microSD +3/4Gb + Sony aosp github =350$, this device could have been the best development device for 2018 : sd630 is also the most friendly soc for battery (14nm 8xA53).
More info https://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_xa2-review-1714p3.php
I think we'll see some development going on soon. not to mention it's shipping on oreo. I'll be getting mine in 10 days

oF2pks

May 22, 2016
I think we'll see some development going on soon. not to mention it's shipping on oreo. I'll be getting mine in 10 days
Hope so, already for sale and no forum on xda ( @Enddo ?); anyway, I never had xperia devices before and don't get few tricks:
-do you loose Widevine (or others than camera optimizations) after wiped TA ?
-does FOTAKernel (?), with an A/B partition update, allows a possible "resident" twrp ?
-kernel defconfig: https://github.com/sonyxperiadev/kernel/tree/aosp/LA.UM.6.4.r1/arch/arm64/configs ?

Because of Oneplus5 Treble gambit, I seriously consider to switch to XA2. Also Oneplus decision to use caf tree for both rom and kernel, is a dead static github repo ( versus active xperiadev caf kernel only ?).

Finally, how is it, that Sony can't elaborate a "digital license", linked to an official Sony account per user, to reactivate DRMs (petition ?), somehow like Microsoft policy ?

Der_Karlson

May 13, 2012
Loerrach
I wouldn't "upgrade" to XA2 Ultra.
On the performance and feature side it would be a downgrade. Only in terms of display size it would be an upgrade.
Only if you can't live with 5.5 inches, I would consider a change - but only then.

li0nh3art3d

Apr 22, 2016
Texas ?
Upgrade to the XZ pro. Expected to be unveiled st MWC Monday

I'm using the XA2 and it's definitely an upgrade from my note 4, but still nowhere near as powerful as the XZ premium. I plan to get the pro when it comes out, and give my XA2 to my mom.

makotech222

Jul 8, 2011
Anyone make any progress or hear any news about TWRP or rooting the phone? I posted a quick guide on unlocking bootloader already, that was easy enough.

oF2pks

May 22, 2016
I wouldn't "upgrade" to XA2 Ultra.
On the performance and feature side it would be a downgrade. Only in terms of display size it would be an upgrade.
Only if you can't live with 5.5 inches, I would consider a change - but only then.
OC, but thanks to sdm630, XA2ultra gives you ~15hr SOT (6inches), and a funky extra wide angle for selfie camera.
Also back cover of XA2 is plastic and there is hope that anybody could replace his (big factory) battery in ~15mn (check XA1 teardown): totally impossible on other XZx models.
AND finally for people who need their bootloader unlocked, you're not wasting premium (expensive) features after wiped TA (for aosp use)...

So my Xperia XA2 got here TODAY.. Very pleased

Anyone make any progress or hear any news about TWRP or rooting the phone? I posted a quick guide on unlocking bootloader already, that was easy enough.
Please, can you both report screenshots of DRMinfo(Playstore), so we can compare loss after unlocking.
@makotech222 , actually (today) Sony did not release any kernel source yet, and aosp github does not provide any defconfig for XA2/nile (pioneer/discovery) : https://github.com/sonyxperiadev/kernel/tree/aosp/LA.UM.6.4.r1/arch/arm64/configs
Also A/B + decryption will slow down development a bit. There is no xda forum yet, only hope that @jerpelea will boost XA2's aosp. For info XA1 (mtk) kernel was only release via Sony download section, without any github defconfig.

btw : I don't get why all sdm630 devices are using sdm660 specs in specifics github definitions : https://www.anandtech.com/show/11338/qualcomm-announces-snapdragon-660-630-mobile-platforms ?!

makotech222

Jul 8, 2011
That's a shame. Its really hard going from my rooted 5x with adblock and whatnot, to this much faster, but rootless phone :p

makotech222

Jul 8, 2011
Heres the drminfo pics. Unlocked bootloader Sony XA2

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180226-212008.png
    Screenshot_20180226-212008.png
    181.6 KB · Views: 206
  • Screenshot_20180226-212015.png
    Screenshot_20180226-212015.png
    166.7 KB · Views: 208
Reactions: oF2pks
Upgrade to the XZ pro. Expected to be unveiled st MWC Monday

I'm using the XA2 and it's definitely an upgrade from my note 4, but still nowhere near as powerful as the XZ premium. I plan to get the pro when it comes out, and give my XA2 to my mom.

I was really hoping to see this announced but haven't seen anything about it, I assume they don't want to take the attention away from the XZ2 devices. Do you think they will actually wait as long as IFA to announce it? Seems like a long time to wait on announcing a premium version for this iteration of devices, do you think they would hold an event exclusively for that phone?

li0nh3art3d

Apr 22, 2016
Texas ?
I was really hoping to see this announced but haven't seen anything about it, I assume they don't want to take the attention away from the XZ2 devices. Do you think they will actually wait as long as IFA to announce it? Seems like a long time to wait on announcing a premium version for this iteration of devices, do you think they would hold an event exclusively for that phone?
looks like we won't see the new 4k Sony phone until IFA. Bummer

amakuramio

Nov 28, 2013
Well xz premium has better performance and is able to have root and drm functions intact. A phone without xposed is a big no to me
Also 60 percent less performance is a lot
If you want more sot with xzp just sacrifice resolution with dpi changer

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just don't.

Advantages of XA2 Ultra over XZ Premium:

- Substantially larger screen
    - Most likely much better battery life
    - Battery friendly CPU consuming less power than Snapdragon 835 yet not far behind with regards to real life performance
    - Possibly better camera sensor and image processing
    - Far better front selfie camera with flash

Advantages of XZ Premium over XA2 Ultra:

- Slightly better CPU although more power consumption
    - 4K Screen with far higher PPI
    - Side finger print sensor more practical than rear

What do others think? I think the XA2 is a superior and excellent super mid ranger having an excellent balance between everything. I think the XZ Premium having a small 5.5'' screen is not large enough for 4k content and see it is wasted. 1080P for a 5.5'' display is enough.

Also, I rarely view 4k content since most movies are still only 1080P! Why have a 4k screen when it's barely used and 5.5'' is too small for 4k content.

Remember, this is simply my opinion and I'm not saying I'm right. I would love to hear what others think. What are your opinions for the upcoming XA2 Ultra compared to our XZ Premium?

I am dying for a full review on the XA2 Ultra and have a feeling it's gonna be one of the best, if not the best upcoming super mid ranger phones for a very affordable price. Just like it's predecessor, the XA1, it just may have a superior screen, high brightness, high contrast, decent enough PPI, hopefully an improved and tuned AF system with better images processing, less image noise and sharper corners, etc.

I have a Xperia XZ Premium as my daily driver and I got a XA2 Ultra from Sony to review, the phone was recently launched here, in Brazil.

After three days with this phone, I would say it is pretty decent considering the price (here in Brazil it costs something like US$ 549). I has a great overall look (even better than XZP's from some angles) and a FANTASTIC frontal camera, much better than XZP's (the wide-angle one is quite bad, but the main front-facing camera, the left side mounted one, is awesome). The back camera is okay, no surprises here.

Also, the battery is really good. Using auto brightness I could get 10 hours of screen-on time (Wi-Fi only). I'll test the usage on 4G/LTE in a few days.

Besides that, the phone is uncomparable to a XZP. The performance is okay for the price, but you clearly see that it isn't a flagship. I could experience a lot of laggy animations; the phone struggles with certain apps, like facebook, chrome and some games.

Also, the screen is not as colorful, even though is quite brighter. The back mounted fingerprint reader doesn't fail as much as the XZP's, but is harder to reach. Also, the phone is even worst than the XZP when you try to use it with one hand.

I don't know. I think that what amazes me with the XZP is it's fluidity, something that's noticeable even after all these months. I also tested the Galaxy S8+ some months ago and I can say that the XZP always outruns it when it comes to speed/fluidity. I wouldnt exchange this feature for a slightly better front camera and battery on the XA2 Ultra.

Also, the XA2 Ultra's back reminds you that Sony made no effort while creating this phone. It is beautiful, but only because the absence of side bezels.
    Advantages of XA2 Ultra over XZ Premium:

- Substantially larger screen
    - Most likely much better battery life
    - Battery friendly CPU consuming less power than Snapdragon 835 yet not far behind with regards to real life performance
    - Possibly better camera sensor and image processing
    - Far better front selfie camera with flash

Advantages of XZ Premium over XA2 Ultra:

- Slightly better CPU although more power consumption
    - 4K Screen with far higher PPI
    - Side finger print sensor more practical than rear

What do others think? I think the XA2 is a superior and excellent super mid ranger having an excellent balance between everything. I think the XZ Premium having a small 5.5'' screen is not large enough for 4k content and see it is wasted. 1080P for a 5.5'' display is enough.

Also, I rarely view 4k content since most movies are still only 1080P! Why have a 4k screen when it's barely used and 5.5'' is too small for 4k content.

Remember, this is simply my opinion and I'm not saying I'm right. I would love to hear what others think. What are your opinions for the upcoming XA2 Ultra compared to our XZ Premium?

I am dying for a full review on the XA2 Ultra and have a feeling it's gonna be one of the best, if not the best upcoming super mid ranger phones for a very affordable price. Just like it's predecessor, the XA1, it just may have a superior screen, high brightness, high contrast, decent enough PPI, hopefully an improved and tuned AF system with better images processing, less image noise and sharper corners, etc.
    So my Xperia XA2 got here TODAY.. Very pleased
    Real Upgrade

As stated, that is not an upgrade. However, I would consider the new XZ2.