Thinking Of Switching From Sony Xperia XZ Premium To Xperia XA2 Ultra

Search This thread

serajr

Recognized Developer / Recognized Themer
Apr 21, 2011
São Paulo - SP
Heres the drminfo pics. Unlocked bootloader Sony XA2

Sony drm keys surely got wiped during bootloader unlocking process. You can check that out in the Service Menu.
Enter the code below into the dialer, then select > Service tests > Security
Code:
*#*#7378423#*#*
You can also enter in the Service Menu with this adb shell command (2018 devices only):
Code:
am start -n com.compal.sony.servicemenu/.ServiceMenuMainActivity
This is how Suntory blobs and Key Provision daemon should be (from my xa2 ultra, locked bootloader):

Attachments

• xa2_ultra_locked_bootloader_security_menu.png
    xa2_ultra_locked_bootloader_security_menu.png
    168.1 KB · Views: 242

YasuHamed

Dec 17, 2013
IF your heart is set on XA2 ultra! just buy it
no need to convince yourself or us ;)!

XZP is probably the best device sony had released / produced in over years and its very popular in android community! which means there will be (if not already) many mods/ thirdparty roms to try! and only time will tell where xa2u stands when we look back at flagships! (which btw xz2u is not a flagship)

li0nh3art3d

Apr 22, 2016
Texas ?
IF your heart is set on XA2 ultra! just buy it
no need to convince yourself or us ;)!

XZP is probably the best device sony had released / produced in over years and its very popular in android community! which means there will be (if not already) many mods/ thirdparty roms to try! and only time will tell where xa2u stands when we look back at flagships! (which btw xz2u is not a flagship)
upgrade

li0nh3art3d

Apr 22, 2016
Texas ?
on paper it looks smashing! however the actual Hands-on review , i will have to wait for next few months to see speedtest videos.
as far as where xzp is concern! it still beats iphonex on speedtest and unlike xz2p, its slab design and its not bumpy as xz2p.
faster cpu/gpu, bigger screen, 50% more ram.

I'll be upgrading from my XA2 ?

---------- Post added at 09:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 AM ----------

I was really hoping to see this announced but haven't seen anything about it, I assume they don't want to take the attention away from the XZ2 devices. Do you think they will actually wait as long as IFA to announce it? Seems like a long time to wait on announcing a premium version for this iteration of devices, do you think they would hold an event exclusively for that phone?

---------- Post added at 09:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 AM ----------

I was really hoping to see this announced but haven't seen anything about it, I assume they don't want to take the attention away from the XZ2 devices. Do you think they will actually wait as long as IFA to announce it? Seems like a long time to wait on announcing a premium version for this iteration of devices, do you think they would hold an event exclusively for that phone?

tellesdotinbox

May 17, 2016
Brasília
Just don't.

Advantages of XA2 Ultra over XZ Premium:

- Substantially larger screen
- Most likely much better battery life
- Battery friendly CPU consuming less power than Snapdragon 835 yet not far behind with regards to real life performance
- Possibly better camera sensor and image processing
- Far better front selfie camera with flash

Advantages of XZ Premium over XA2 Ultra:

- Slightly better CPU although more power consumption
- 4K Screen with far higher PPI
- Side finger print sensor more practical than rear

What do others think? I think the XA2 is a superior and excellent super mid ranger having an excellent balance between everything. I think the XZ Premium having a small 5.5'' screen is not large enough for 4k content and see it is wasted. 1080P for a 5.5'' display is enough.

Also, I rarely view 4k content since most movies are still only 1080P! Why have a 4k screen when it's barely used and 5.5'' is too small for 4k content.

Remember, this is simply my opinion and I'm not saying I'm right. I would love to hear what others think. What are your opinions for the upcoming XA2 Ultra compared to our XZ Premium?

I am dying for a full review on the XA2 Ultra and have a feeling it's gonna be one of the best, if not the best upcoming super mid ranger phones for a very affordable price. Just like it's predecessor, the XA1, it just may have a superior screen, high brightness, high contrast, decent enough PPI, hopefully an improved and tuned AF system with better images processing, less image noise and sharper corners, etc.

I have a Xperia XZ Premium as my daily driver and I got a XA2 Ultra from Sony to review, the phone was recently launched here, in Brazil.

After three days with this phone, I would say it is pretty decent considering the price (here in Brazil it costs something like US$ 549). I has a great overall look (even better than XZP's from some angles) and a FANTASTIC frontal camera, much better than XZP's (the wide-angle one is quite bad, but the main front-facing camera, the left side mounted one, is awesome). The back camera is okay, no surprises here.

Also, the battery is really good. Using auto brightness I could get 10 hours of screen-on time (Wi-Fi only). I'll test the usage on 4G/LTE in a few days.

Besides that, the phone is uncomparable to a XZP. The performance is okay for the price, but you clearly see that it isn't a flagship. I could experience a lot of laggy animations; the phone struggles with certain apps, like facebook, chrome and some games.

Also, the screen is not as colorful, even though is quite brighter. The back mounted fingerprint reader doesn't fail as much as the XZP's, but is harder to reach. Also, the phone is even worst than the XZP when you try to use it with one hand.

I don't know. I think that what amazes me with the XZP is it's fluidity, something that's noticeable even after all these months. I also tested the Galaxy S8+ some months ago and I can say that the XZP always outruns it when it comes to speed/fluidity. I wouldnt exchange this feature for a slightly better front camera and battery on the XA2 Ultra.

Also, the XA2 Ultra's back reminds you that Sony made no effort while creating this phone. It is beautiful, but only because the absence of side bezels.

ocujos

Feb 21, 2010
Sydney
ASUS ZenFone 8 Flip
Google Pixel 6
I don't know. I think that what amazes me with the XZP is it's fluidity, something that's noticeable even after all these months. I also tested the Galaxy S8+ some months ago and I can say that the XZP always outruns it when it comes to speed/fluidity. I wouldnt exchange this feature for a slightly better front camera and battery on the XA2 Ultra.
My partner has an XZP and I have a Samsung S8 Plus. XZP is silky smooth and never slows down, unlike S8 Plus! XZP is incredibly fast, no matter what you're doing with it. Great phone!

Reactions: li0nh3art3d

aquaraider11

Feb 27, 2015
When they announced xz2 i instantly went out and bought xzp to replace my old (and slightly broken) xz because i absolutely hated the rear fingerprint sensor and the new style of the chassis, and the lack of 3.5mm jack.

kanej2006

Mar 22, 2008
London
I have a Xperia XZ Premium as my daily driver and I got a XA2 Ultra from Sony to review, the phone was recently launched here, in Brazil.

After three days with this phone, I would say it is pretty decent considering the price (here in Brazil it costs something like US$ 549). I has a great overall look (even better than XZP's from some angles) and a FANTASTIC frontal camera, much better than XZP's (the wide-angle one is quite bad, but the main front-facing camera, the left side mounted one, is awesome). The back camera is okay, no surprises here.

Also, the battery is really good. Using auto brightness I could get 10 hours of screen-on time (Wi-Fi only). I'll test the usage on 4G/LTE in a few days.

Besides that, the phone is uncomparable to a XZP. The performance is okay for the price, but you clearly see that it isn't a flagship. I could experience a lot of laggy animations; the phone struggles with certain apps, like facebook, chrome and some games.

Also, the screen is not as colorful, even though is quite brighter. The back mounted fingerprint reader doesn't fail as much as the XZP's, but is harder to reach. Also, the phone is even worst than the XZP when you try to use it with one hand.

Also, the XA2 Ultra's back reminds you that Sony made no effort while creating this phone. It is beautiful, but only because the absence of side bezels.

You are right. I did not get the XA2 Ultra or any recent Sony device. My wife, however bought the XA2 Ultra due to it's price tag, it was her maximum budget. Not a bad phone but as you mentioned, it's really hefty/bulky and heavy.

Decent screen and amazing battery but due to large top/bottom bezels the phone is very large for a six inch device...

Recently I had the opportunity to play around with the new Xperia XZ2 Premium/Compact. Whilst I was tempted, there were better alternatives from the competition for a similar if not cheaper price.

I was not impressed with the small battery and bulky design. Shame as I was quite in love with the screen and speakers.

In the end after looking at so many alternatives, I went with the Huawei Mate 10 Pro. Beautiful phone. Fantastic super sharp OLED screen, stunning dual camera, good stereo speakers, outstanding build quality and on par with Snapdragon 835. Almost 82% screen to body ratio thanks to it's super slim bezels, I made the right choice!

Perhaps if the next Sony release is something like an XZ2 Ultra having slimmer bezels and a non bulky design, I might once again switch back to Sony.

I feel the XZ2 Premium release is not good enough coming from the previous XZ Premium. Aside from a better GPU/CPU, all other improvements are minor. Camera and screen, for example, are only marginally better. Bezels are thinner though still thicker than the rest of the competition. Also no headphone jack.

Last edited:

li0nh3art3d

Apr 22, 2016
Texas ?
You are right. I did not get the XA2 Ultra or any recent Sony device. My wife, however bought the XA2 Ultra due to it's price tag, it was her maximum budget. Not a bad phone but as you mentioned, it's really hefty/bulky and heavy.

Decent screen and amazing battery but due to large top/bottom bezels the phone is very large for a six inch device...

Recently I had the opportunity to play around with the new Xperia XZ2 Premium/Compact. Whilst I was tempted, there were better alternatives from the competition for a similar if not cheaper price.

I was not impressed with the small battery and bulky design. Shame as I was quite in love with the screen and speakers.

In the end after looking at so many alternatives, I went with the Huawei Mate 10 Pro. Beautiful phone. Fantastic super sharp OLED screen, stunning dual camera, good stereo speakers, outstanding build quality and on par with Snapdragon 835. Almost 82% screen to body ratio thanks to it's super slim bezels, I made the right choice!

Perhaps if the next Sony release is something like an XZ2 Ultra having slimmer bezels and a non bulky design, I might once again switch back to Sony.

I feel the XZ2 Premium release is not good enough coming from the previous XZ Premium. Aside from a better GPU/CPU, all other improvements are minor. Camera and screen, for example, are only marginally better. Bezels are thinner though still thicker than the rest of the competition. Also no headphone jack.
I agree the XA2 indeed is an excellent mid-range.. The camera is great in good lighting however does not perform well under low-light conditions. Battery life is fantastic, screen is good but my 2014 AMOLED Samsung Note 4 had better resolution, and more range of brightness adjustment (the XA2 could be dimmer when I'm laying in bed, and also brighter in sunlight)

I have the 5.2" model, so size in a non-issue for me.

Snapdragon 630 is fairly good for multitasking and gaming, but still doesn't compare to the 835 or 845. But it's still fairly quick; handles most games fairly well.

As far as the headphone jack, I really don't see the need.. I'm sure there's a dongle adapter to add one if needed. Bluetooth 5 is capable of producing much better sound quality than the 192 kbps 3.5mm jacks can. To each his own though.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just don't.

- Battery friendly CPU consuming less power than Snapdragon 835 yet not far behind with regards to real life performance

What do others think? I think the XA2 is a superior and excellent super mid ranger having an excellent balance between everything. I think the XZ Premium having a small 5.5'' screen is not large enough for 4k content and see it is wasted. 1080P for a 5.5'' display is enough.

Also, I rarely view 4k content since most movies are still only 1080P! Why have a 4k screen when it's barely used and 5.5'' is too small for 4k content.

Remember, this is simply my opinion and I'm not saying I'm right. I would love to hear what others think. What are your opinions for the upcoming XA2 Ultra compared to our XZ Premium?

I am dying for a full review on the XA2 Ultra and have a feeling it's gonna be one of the best, if not the best upcoming super mid ranger phones for a very affordable price. Just like it's predecessor, the XA1, it just may have a superior screen, high brightness, high contrast, decent enough PPI, hopefully an improved and tuned AF system with better images processing, less image noise and sharper corners, etc.

I somewhat understand you. However, it is not right for manufacturers to FORCE us to use bluetooth headphones or adaptors. Bluetooth headphones are still not on par with wired headphones. High end head/earphones are inferior to any bluetooth headphone. I am an audiophile and will never switch to using bluetooth. They simply lack the quality of regular wired ones.
    Again, vocal minority. I would be willing to bet more than 50% of the real world users of this phone could care less about the headphone jack, unless the selfie stick they have isn't bluetooth and needs the 3.5mm jack. Pretty sure you meant to say head/earphones are superior to any bluetooth headphones, but that will likely only last a few more years potentially. Sony isn't forcing you to do anything, if you don't want to use an adapter, buy a phone that has a 3.5mm jack, but soon no good manufacturer will still be making a phone with one. If I want to listen to something in a higher quality I use a computer and a separate high quality DAC, not ideal when not at home but I typically listen to music/audio on my phone just to avoid noises at work or the gym. I'm not agreeing/disagreeing with the removal of it; I could care less either way honestly, I just think manufactures will continue to view audiophiles as the vocal minority.
    So my Xperia XA2 got here TODAY.. Very pleased
    Real Upgrade

As stated, that is not an upgrade. However, I would consider the new XZ2.