Thinkpad tablet ICS root!!

Search This thread

Vito Andolini Corleone

Jan 7, 2011
Miami

Koshu

Jul 28, 2007
This will work only on unlocked devices, because it uses nvflash and i can't find any sbk in the bat files (cwm.zip). The root.zip only contains the known exploit for devices below ICS.

ken_oy

Dec 2, 2007
Austin, TX
Yes! i have mine 16GB ROW rooted!
The link is in Chinese, i am for sure will have some kind soul will translate it to English.
http://cnzhx.net/blog/apx-root-thinkpad-tablet/

download link of 2 files is at hotfile. please find the link at 5th post.
enjoy rooting.
& i will say, finally i got life back on my TPT!

Yes, I heard this and tried it on my US 32Gb version, but i failed.
Got an write/read error/warning, then the program stopped.
As I know, this rooting method ONLY works on ROW versions, but not US version.:crying:

It did fail, but did not bring any bad effects to my TPT. I just updated to the stock OTA3.5 smoothly.
Anyway, thanks for sharing.

farukb

Jul 26, 2007
Sarajevo
Hey guys, i just wanted to tell you that it worked for my OTA3 TPT ROW.

Tip: try extracting the recovery image from your rom (eg. US) and put it instead of the one provided in there rars, it might work for you.

Cheers!

goodboynyc

Oct 15, 2010
New York City
Google did it's best to translate the think but I'm a little weary to try it as the steps are still a bit garbled.

EDIT: Does anyone have a stock rom? I'm looking to do what the last commenter suggested and switch out the image.

Last edited:

crabnebula

Apr 20, 2010
Montreal
Google did it's best to translate the think but I'm a little weary to try it as the steps are still a bit garbled.

I followed the translated instructions and am now running CM10 on my 16GB ROW. It's fantastic -- like having a new device.

The instructions are pretty simple to follow. I had one problem though.

To use nvflash, you need to start the tablet by holding down the rotation lock button and then install the provided driver in Windows. This works well. However, after performing a flash, Windows would no longer recognize it if you power it on while holding the rotation lock button. To gain access to the special recovery mode again, I had to uninstall the device and driver in Windows Device Manager, and the reinstall again when prompted.

Because the whole procedure requires multiple flashes with nvflash, I had to perform this uninstall-reinstall process several times.

Other than that, it worked perfectly well.

Hope this helps if anyone encounters the same issue.

dsw1ft

Mar 12, 2012
Does this mean we have the key for nvflash?

Sent from my ThinkPadTablet using Tapatalk 2

shrinex

Oct 15, 2008
Aurora, Co
OnePlus 8
My question in regards to this is can we build a flashable rom of this? And would this work with the US TPT?

Sent from my ThinkPad Tablet using XDA Premium HD app

goodboynyc

Oct 15, 2010
New York City
I followed the translated instructions and am now running CM10 on my 16GB ROW. It's fantastic -- like having a new device.

The instructions are pretty simple to follow. I had one problem though.

To use nvflash, you need to start the tablet by holding down the rotation lock button and then install the provided driver in Windows. This works well. However, after performing a flash, Windows would no longer recognize it if you power it on while holding the rotation lock button. To gain access to the special recovery mode again, I had to uninstall the device and driver in Windows Device Manager, and the reinstall again when prompted.

Because the whole procedure requires multiple flashes with nvflash, I had to perform this uninstall-reinstall process several times.

Other than that, it worked perfectly well.

Hope this helps if anyone encounters the same issue.

I need to try this. But from what I understand this only works for ROW versions and not US versions(given the attached files from the OP). If someone could post an image of a US version I'd cross my fingers and give it a go.

goodboynyc

Oct 15, 2010
New York City
I'd be great if we could get some developers input. I program in C++ and Visual Basic but have no experience with Android/Linux to be able to look deeper into this :S

O_G

Retired Senior Moderator / Retired ET Admin
Jul 8, 2007
Moved To General

If somebody wants to write a guide and supply a proper dev section thread, fine. But this thread is not development.​

HaliG1

Sep 1, 2012
Hi, I have succesfully rooted my ROW 16GB Wifi-only ICS 4.0.3 tablet following chinese guide. Excuse my english, Im not native speaker :). I'll try to explain what I did:

1. make sure you can see your TPT with "adb devices" command.
2. turn off your device, make sure you have USB cable connected, hold rotation lock button + power on device to get to APX mode. Screen will not turn on, but windows will find new APX hardware unknown.
3. update software driver for APX, set CWM folder manualy. You should now have NVIDIA USB Boot-recovery drover for Mobile devices installed.
4. in APX mode run "cwm.bat", after its done, reboot device to APX mode and press any key, dont press it before you restart your device. You can see CWM_recovery.img installing to your tablet. Follow instruction...
5. After step 4 is done, reboot your device to Recovery, when you see small lenovo logo spam volume up button until you see "booting to recovery kernel mode".
6. Navigate to mount and store using vol +/- button, power button to confirm. Select mount /system
7. make sure you can still ses your device using "adb devices" command, and run root.bat, follow instruction. When all is done, select power off in recovery menu.
8. Now you have root, but you cant boot to system. You need to get to APX mode again and run "403 recovery.bat", follow same steps as with "cwm.bat".
9. reboot and you should now have rooted TPT.

Hope this help, Im not so good at giving instructions :).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi, I have succesfully rooted my ROW 16GB Wifi-only ICS 4.0.3 tablet following chinese guide. Excuse my english, Im not native speaker :). I'll try to explain what I did:

1. make sure you can see your TPT with "adb devices" command.
    2. turn off your device, make sure you have USB cable connected, hold rotation lock button + power on device to get to APX mode. Screen will not turn on, but windows will find new APX hardware unknown.
    3. update software driver for APX, set CWM folder manualy. You should now have NVIDIA USB Boot-recovery drover for Mobile devices installed.
    4. in APX mode run "cwm.bat", after its done, reboot device to APX mode and press any key, dont press it before you restart your device. You can see CWM_recovery.img installing to your tablet. Follow instruction...
    5. After step 4 is done, reboot your device to Recovery, when you see small lenovo logo spam volume up button until you see "booting to recovery kernel mode".
    6. Navigate to mount and store using vol +/- button, power button to confirm. Select mount /system
    7. make sure you can still ses your device using "adb devices" command, and run root.bat, follow instruction. When all is done, select power off in recovery menu.
    8. Now you have root, but you cant boot to system. You need to get to APX mode again and run "403 recovery.bat", follow same steps as with "cwm.bat".
    9. reboot and you should now have rooted TPT.

Hope this help, Im not so good at giving instructions :).
    Yes! i have mine 16GB ROW rooted!
    The link is in Chinese, i am for sure will have some kind soul will translate it to English.
    http://cnzhx.net/blog/apx-root-thinkpad-tablet/

download link of 2 files is at hotfile. please find the link at 5th post.
    enjoy rooting.
    & i will say, finally i got life back on my TPT!
    Ok...Here's my translation. Give me some news about it. I am not responsible for any problem

First step is to remove all chineses characters from name and folder to keep original name.

1: Turn off your device, make sure you have USB cable connected, hold rotation lock button + power on device to get to APX mode. Screen will not turn on, but windows will find new APX hardware unknown.

2: Update software driver for APX, set CWM folder manually. Now, You should have NVIDIA USB Boot-recovery drover for Mobile devices installed.

3: To be sure to be APX mode that you have no visual indications light up your sound to hear the device to be recognized by Windows. Start ‘’cwm.bat’’ Press any key, wait . . . and shutdown your Tablet restarts again APX mode, Press any key . . . wait ... Press any key and shutdown your device.

Note: If you get a message as « USB device not foundNvflash started », check your connection between your computer and your device or your device is not in APX mode. So restart step 3

Note : After step 3, your device will not go further than recovery mode. IF there’s any problem with APX mode, renew your device with “403 recovery.bat”. Run as is “cwm.bat”

Known problem : after step 3, device can’t boot in recovery mode, only way is to restore with « 403 recovery.bat ». Problem with driver, so you need to restart or renew your driver

4 : After step 3 is done, reboot your device to Recovery mode, when you see small Lenovo logo spam volume up button until you see "booting to recovery kernel mode".

5: Navigate to mount and store using vol +/- button, power button to confirm. Select ‘’– mounts and storage’’.

6: launch abc.exe, lancer ‘’root.bat’’. Select : ‘’-mount /system’’ that should change after select in ‘’-unmount /system. Press any key to continue… wait … Press any key to finish, power off your device.

Note : If all goes as planned the Tablet should be'' root'' error when like me now ... I am currently no solution.

7: Now, you had to remain original boot for your device, start you tablet in APX mode, run ‘’403 recovery.bat’’ follows instructions and restart your device.
    Does not work at all for me. nvflash shows me the typical 0x4 error when it tries to injct the bootloader bin file...
    I tried it. Did not work.
    emuandco and myself are currently having a look with the developer if there is maybe a way to use it also for the tpt.