Third Party Remotes with Voice Search

Search This thread

kalinskym

Dec 15, 2012
I would like an alternative to my Shield remote that also allows Voice Search which has a Keyboard built in. Are there any?

orificium

Mar 13, 2007
Hi,
the Minix Neo A2 an A3 have that plus a gyro function.

the amazon uk link for the a3

How are these Minix remotes on batteries?

I have the following remote: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B015O5UM6M/
But it chews through batteries like crazy. So I don't bother with it anymore. There's a backlit version or a version with voice input support. Not sure why it can't be both. The same two versions are being sold under a variety of brand names but I suspect they're all essentially the same.

The Minix remotes look pretty similar I'm worried about the battery life on these as well.

EDIT: Now I remember why I wasn't interested in these. No IR learning.

Last edited:
Reactions: dabotsonline

jesusdoit

Nov 12, 2007
I can't complain about battery life, I had to change them 1 time after 5 month (I use eneloop AAA with it).

axxel6307

Jul 27, 2015

Does the select button work in amazon on STV? Is it line of sight and what would you say the range is?
Does the back button activate the air mouse like so many of those do?
Thanks

---------- Post added at 03:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:45 PM ----------

Still waiting for both of them. Wells gallery (Amazon) shipped both of them but they never made it. They shipped another 2 remotes. Faster shipping to. I'll come in with a mini review.

Sent from my VS987 using XDA-Developers Legacy app

HOw's the remote?

Spartoi

Jul 31, 2009
Pomona
Does the select button work in amazon on STV? Is it line of sight and what would you say the range is?
Does the back button activate the air mouse like so many of those do?
Thanks

Yes, the select button works in the Amazon video app. The device connects via USB, so it's not IR or line of sight dependent. I use the remote in my bedroom which is really small (about 10ft in length) and it works fine in that range.
The back button doesn't activate the air mouse. The mouse has a dedicated key for activating.

axxel6307

Jul 27, 2015
Yes, the select button works in the Amazon video app. The device connects via USB, so it's not IR or line of sight dependent. I use the remote in my bedroom which is really small (about 10ft in length) and it works fine in that range.
The back button doesn't activate the air mouse. The mouse has a dedicated key for activating.

Thanks. Think I may get it. One more. Do the volume buttons control the shield tv volume? How would you rate it out of ten, ten being hightest?

qpr1991

Feb 16, 2010
I am currently using this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Keyboard-W...16632711&sr=8-7&keywords=android+voice+remote

Best remote i have ever used been using now for over 3 weeks. i did have to remap tha back button as it was a bit strange how it was working and i remaped the search button to bring up the assistant. But voice works perfectly just hold down the mic button to switch the mic on and tallk. i have alos remaped the coloured buttons to shorcuts to my most used apps. It also has IR learning and works with my tv and sound bar.

axxel6307

Jul 27, 2015
I am currently using this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Keyboard-W...16632711&sr=8-7&keywords=android+voice+remote

Best remote i have ever used been using now for over 3 weeks. i did have to remap tha back button as it was a bit strange how it was working and i remaped the search button to bring up the assistant. But voice works perfectly just hold down the mic button to switch the mic on and tallk. i have alos remaped the coloured buttons to shorcuts to my most used apps. It also has IR learning and works with my tv and sound bar.

How funny that's the exact same remote I got about a week ago and I'm loving it too. Didn't have any back button issues. You using a gen 1 16gb shield tv? Great idea on the remap of the search button. I will do this. Like you, I also made a button to my soundbar and tv. What a coincidence LOL. I like this remote so much that I'd be willing to pay double if they added more programmable buttons. With the IR learning, I'd program it on my ceiling fans, window ac units, and so on, if it had more buttons.

Last edited:

qpr1991

Feb 16, 2010
How funny that's the exact same remote I got about a week ago and I'm loving it too. Didn't have any back button issues. You using a gen 1 16gb shield tv? Great idea on the remap of the search button. I will do this. Like you, I also made a button to my soundbar and tv. What a coincidence LOL. I like this remote so much that I'd be willing to pay double if they added more programmable buttons. With the IR learning, I'd program it on my ceiling fans, window ac units, and so on, if it had more buttons.

I have the 1st gen 500gb the back button did work it was just acting a bit diffrent in some apps. There is a newer version of our remote now currently sold out ill see if i can find the link you can program all buttons to an IR

Update: here is the link to the updated one without backlight there is a backlit version i will post when i find it. You can program 42 ir keys.

Air Mouse With Voice- TopYart 2.4G Wireless Air Mouse Remote Control Keyboard with Infrared Learning Voice Input MX3 Air Mouse for Android TV Box https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073RBYFL3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_sdJzAb1RD883H

Last edited:

orificium

Mar 13, 2007
I have a very similar remote to the one linked "MX3 Pro". I believe they're all the same manufacturer, just re-branded. But it started chewing through batteries like crazy. I felt like I was replacing them every couple weeks. I prefer the simplicity of my Fire TV remote with a SideClick (for TV/Audio functions). Except now I'm having all kinds of weird WiFi direct issues.

Last edited:

polosolo

Sep 30, 2014
I'd be willing to pay double if they added more programmable buttons. With the IR learning, I'd program it on my ceiling fans, window ac units, and so on, if it had more buttons.

You do know that you can program all the buttons on this remote barring the tv programmable button (red TV) ..I believe.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01IVJH0IG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I am 100% sure I read that this remote had around 42 programmable buttons ......... I read that somewhere during my endless searching for a replacement substitute remote (shield tv 2017) on a chinese or Asia bulk ordering website..
Please don't ask if I have a link to that info. I read and searched that many wholesale sites I really cant remember ...but I am sure it is this very remote..
This is the updated version.. and the same one I have ordered from amazon... it`s got the backlight too . That's why I have ordered this :D ................ Should arrive in a week or two.

I just ordered this one too ( links below to the model ) ....and it has got Rave!!! reviews .... Looks very nice too and it is the latest MX3 Version 2017 , :) I think and looks like the Big brother to the MX3 hybrid versions knocking around.
Make sure to select the voice model ( blue voice icon button ). 3 places below for reff:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-4...32796705881.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.ET7H5k
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TK628-Air...hash=item41c93ddfb4:m:mee3d5RAFeTW-_Ac0Cdp0dQ
https://www.banggood.com/TK628-2_4G...-p-1201548.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

Approx £11.50 for this and I have seen distributors selling this exact model under different guises for nearly twice the price in places . I done a bit of digging around and think the remote model is TK628 QWERTY REMOTE CONTROL But many sellers are selling under different user model names ..But I think this is the M3 Big brother. :D

I think this is going to be fantastic Remote for the shield and all your media devices as I have read many reviews that this can reprogram ALL keys if you so wish with IR learning mode. (disregard the web product descriptive user guide, I have read numerous review`s stating it can reprogram All keys with IR function ) Looks Awesome!!! You can also pay via paypal for peace of mind. :good:
Also do yourself a favour and get a pack of these....You will not regret it.. and they are truly a powerhouse . ;)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-...d=1516968222&sr=8-5&keywords=eneloop+aaa&th=1

Best Regards,

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Already stated this numerous times within this thread mate.

Best Regards,

What is wrong with you? Many devices have been discussed here, it's impossible to keep track of each individual's preference. You posted a random comment about a remote, without mentioning the remote, and without quoting another user. Someone asked which remote and you told them to effectively search the thread? How about spending that time replying by ACTUALLY GIVING AN ANSWER. Some people...
    I'd be willing to pay double if they added more programmable buttons. With the IR learning, I'd program it on my ceiling fans, window ac units, and so on, if it had more buttons.

You do know that you can program all the buttons on this remote barring the tv programmable button (red TV) ..I believe.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01IVJH0IG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I am 100% sure I read that this remote had around 42 programmable buttons ......... I read that somewhere during my endless searching for a replacement substitute remote (shield tv 2017) on a chinese or Asia bulk ordering website..
    Please don't ask if I have a link to that info. I read and searched that many wholesale sites I really cant remember ...but I am sure it is this very remote..
    This is the updated version.. and the same one I have ordered from amazon... it`s got the backlight too . That's why I have ordered this :D ................ Should arrive in a week or two.

I just ordered this one too ( links below to the model ) ....and it has got Rave!!! reviews .... Looks very nice too and it is the latest MX3 Version 2017 , :) I think and looks like the Big brother to the MX3 hybrid versions knocking around.
    Make sure to select the voice model ( blue voice icon button ). 3 places below for reff:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-4...32796705881.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.ET7H5k
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TK628-Air...hash=item41c93ddfb4:m:mee3d5RAFeTW-_Ac0Cdp0dQ
    https://www.banggood.com/TK628-2_4G...-p-1201548.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

Approx £11.50 for this and I have seen distributors selling this exact model under different guises for nearly twice the price in places . I done a bit of digging around and think the remote model is TK628 QWERTY REMOTE CONTROL But many sellers are selling under different user model names ..But I think this is the M3 Big brother. :D

I think this is going to be fantastic Remote for the shield and all your media devices as I have read many reviews that this can reprogram ALL keys if you so wish with IR learning mode. (disregard the web product descriptive user guide, I have read numerous review`s stating it can reprogram All keys with IR function ) Looks Awesome!!! You can also pay via paypal for peace of mind. :good:
    Also do yourself a favour and get a pack of these....You will not regret it.. and they are truly a powerhouse . ;)
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-...d=1516968222&sr=8-5&keywords=eneloop+aaa&th=1

Best Regards,
    @polosolo

If you could make a little video, which buttons you can use on the remote control
    this would help me a lot.

I hope you understand, translated with Translater:)

Greetings Akki

Hi I will post put some instructions and a video if possible just as soon as possible and edit in the details here.
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Considering this is a Supreme control....The instructions however are atrocious.
    The best way I have found is :
    Default settings of the remote at startup and this operation ONLY NEEDS TO BE DONE ONCE.

This is done by holding down both keys DEL and BLUE OK BUTTONS until you see the blue led flashing quickly .....now release buttons you where pressing ... The remote is now in default. Led will stay solid blue for a short period of time then goes off....Now you can proceed.

If you have inserted the dongle into any media device.......Wait till the blue led goes off. You can program the buttons regardless if the USB dongle is inserted or not, So with or without dongle inserted is not an issue ..Do it either way but please wait till the blue led on the remote is in the off illuminated state before we proceed.

Press and hold down the TV key .... You will notice the blue led quickly flash on then off.....keep holding the TV button down till the blue led comes back on... Now release the TV button. The blue led will start to flash continuously .
    Now get the 3rd party remote which you want your remote to learn it`s button from ...........and press whichever key on the 3rd party remote you want your remote to learn........ pointing it at the front of the remote where the blue led is flashing. ........... you will now notice the blue led starts flashing very quickly. We now know the remote as registered the IR from the 3rd party remote.
    You now need to select a key from your remote ( you know the remote we just got delivered :D ) any key will works except TV , just press whichever key you want (example number 1 key ) and you will now notice the blue led slowly flashing ..
    You must now complete the learning By pressing the TV key and the blue led will become solid.
    You have now successfully programmed the remote.
    You will need to perform this step for every key you want to learn from any other IR. Hopefully you understand this ..... as once you do it once...it becomes like riding a bike. :)
    so in a quick summary what you need to do is:
    Warning You only need to do this one time ,If you done this every time ,,then we would just loose our already reprogramming previous buttons we mapped.. We do not want that do we. ;)
    Only do this step again if you want to default the remote back to factory settings further down the line for a new project. etc..

Default : PRESS ..... DEL .... and .... Blue OK buttons until remote led flash's quickly. Now release.. This is the default settings of the remote at startup and this operation ONLY NEEDS TO BE DONE ONE time.
    Now just repeat the steps below to reprogram the remote with any 3rd party IR remote or device. to program All or as many as you require All buttons are IR programmable barring TV button.
    Wait for the blue led to be in the off position before you now proceed.

1: Press and hold TV , .....Blue led quickly flash`s on off...... , keep holding...... till led light comes back on ......Release............. ..led starts flashing.
    2: Point 3rd part remote at device and press button on that 3rd party remote which you want the new remote to learn. blue led flashing quickly.
    3: Press any button eg: red , blue , green , yellow, etc....every and any button works but not TV . Blue led starts flashing slowly.
    4: Press TV to finish setup. blue led solid .. We have now successfully programmed this button map ..
    Now continue again from 1-4 for your next IR programmable selection button etc. Wait for the blue led to be in the off position before you now proceed.

Just remember you only have a short period of time between blinking led key-press`s to perform the whole process while the remote is in the IR learning process.
    Once you master the key pressing stages you perform this whole procedure in seconds ....It really becomes like riding a bike.
    Trial and error may occur during your 1st attempts ...But you will soon master the procedure.

I hope you understand a bit better and if you still really need a video .? I will try to sort it out....But if you follow the instructions as I have listed ...You will not need this . ;)

Best Regards,
    I assume you bought this. How is it?