• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

"This MIUI version can't be installed on this device"

Search This thread

go vegan

Aug 22, 2017
Bricked with a locked bootloader - "This MIUI version can't be installed on this device"

I can get to "adb sideload" and fastboot, but the bootloader is locked :(

Can I unlock the bootloader with EDL? Can I access EDL with an EDL-cable? Or do I need to open the phone and short the EDL pins?

Can I recover the phone from a Linux computer? Or do I need Windoze?

Is it even possible to un-screw this phone?

Any help appreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: fradbari

Redmi 4A abdal

Apr 8, 2019
Bricked with a locked bootloader - "This MIUI version can't be installed on this device"

Can I unlock the bootloader with EDL? Can I access EDL with an EDL-cable? Or do I need to open the phone and short the EDL pins?

Any help appreciated.
how did you do this?

Redmi 4A abdal

Apr 8, 2019
1- Checking if this problem is still a problem with custom ROMs; it is, and thus I believe it to be a hardware fault.

2- Done testing, re-install stock stock ROM, lock bootloader via adb; bricked phone.

ok, you can run edl mode but its no good for you, its already locked by xiaomi, ( go ing to fastboot mode and give commands something like this " fastboot boot edl")

* do you see padlock lock sign when you go to fastboot mode
* try to flash vbmeta in fastboot mode

* try again to flash correct version miui fastboot rom with mi flashing tool with out selecting lock bootloader

Last edited:

go vegan

Aug 22, 2017
I can get to fastboot by holding power+vol-down. There's no lock icon.

On Ubuntu, I don't think fastboot is compiled to support rebooting into edl. I tried editing the source, and I'm not sure if I did it right, but the binary I built did not boot the phone into edl.

Using these commands:
Code:
fastboot flash vbmeta  /tmp/platform-tools/vbmeta.img
Code:
fastboot --disable-verity flash vbmeta /tmp/platform-tools/vbmeta.img
Code:
fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta /tmp/platform-tools/vbmeta.img
They all give the same result:
Code:
target reported max download size of 804274176 bytes
sending 'vbmeta' (4 KB)...
OKAY [  0.006s]
writing 'vbmeta'...
FAILED (remote: Flashing is not allowed in Lock State)
finished. total time: 0.007s

T.Y.M.SAI

Jul 15, 2020
INDIA
I can get to fastboot by holding power+vol-down. There's no lock icon.

On Ubuntu, I don't think fastboot is compiled to support rebooting into edl. I tried editing the source, and I'm not sure if I did it right, but the binary I built did not boot the phone into edl.

Using these commands:
Code:
fastboot flash vbmeta  /tmp/platform-tools/vbmeta.img
Code:
fastboot --disable-verity flash vbmeta /tmp/platform-tools/vbmeta.img
Code:
fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta /tmp/platform-tools/vbmeta.img
They all give the same result:
Code:
target reported max download size of 804274176 bytes
sending 'vbmeta' (4 KB)...
OKAY [  0.006s]
writing 'vbmeta'...
FAILED (remote: Flashing is not allowed in Lock State)
finished. total time: 0.007s
Try to unlock bootloader using cmd and then vbmeta

Yuki1001

You have 2 ways to get out of this situation.

1. Try to unlock the bootloader with the Mi account you used last time.
2. If couldn't unlock, then switch to EDL mode. Use a no auth programmer to flash the correct variant fastboot ROM and the device should boots up. Then add account again and wait for 168 hours for unlocking.

Since we've got no auth programmer for Sm6125 we could use EDL mode freely.

Reactions: choitotz

choitotz

Feb 9, 2012
Hi there @go vegan , have you already fix your phone again? because i also got the same situation 😥 on my redmi 6. or is there anybody who can help? thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20210817_111728667.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20210817_111728667.PORTRAIT.jpg
    545.5 KB · Views: 72

Araskho

Sep 11, 2021
Hi all add me to the list with a k20pro.
The device was unlocked at the start, i got MIUI 12.5 global and flashed with miflashtool.
but wipe and lock was active.
now the phone comes up to the recovery menu and says the miui version is not for this device.
When I try to flash to another version, miflashtool says the device is locked,
when I try to unlock while using the account the device is registered in, miunlock says go to settings >developer options> mi unlock status.
Gave it to a repair shop for 1.5 months and nothing. I live in Iran so no authorized service centers here.
I have access to fast boot mode and recovery.

I tried xiaomitoll V2 which had a specific question asking if my device would show This MIUI version can't be installed on this device in phone is bricked option. It goes to get china official Rom but then errors.

I'm a noob here so any help would be great, tnx.

Reactions: onlypuppy7

TECHtacian

Nov 3, 2021
Dhaka, Bangladesh
I have encountered the same problem a few hours ago with my beloved Redmi K20 Pro. My heart became gloomy thinking that I have no way left other than having to take to an authorized service centre where they will rip off the back cover. But then I stumbled upon this simple solution that took me a minute or two. This is how I solved it:
  1. Entered the fastboot mode
  2. Connected the phone to my laptop using the USB cable
  3. Opened the official Mi Unlock Tool and logged in with my Mi account, and
  4. Clicked on the beautiful UNLOCK button!
Boom! The phone is back to its vibrant life! I'm just happy again! 🤩

Araskho

Sep 11, 2021
when I try to unlock while using the account the device is registered in, miunlock says go to settings >developer options> mi unlock status.

I have encountered the same problem a few hours ago with my beloved Redmi K20 Pro. My heart became gloomy thinking that I have no way left other than having to take to an authorized service centre where they will rip off the back cover. But then I stumbled upon this simple solution that took me a minute or two. This is how I solved it:
  1. Entered the fastboot mode
  2. Connected the phone to my laptop using the USB cable
  3. Opened the official Mi Unlock Tool and logged in with my Mi account, and
  4. Clicked on the beautiful UNLOCK button!
Boom! The phone is back to its vibrant life! I'm just happy again! 🤩
Hi! Where can I download Mi Unlock Tool?

komow

Dec 18, 2021
The solution to the problem is simple.
into fast boot mode,
Run unlock again!! Obviously it's locked. When unlocking is executed,
the same screen may appear again. Please do a reboot. You will definitely see the MIUI installation screen.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Any help appreciated.
    You have 2 ways to get out of this situation.

1. Try to unlock the bootloader with the Mi account you used last time.
    2. If couldn't unlock, then switch to EDL mode. Use a no auth programmer to flash the correct variant fastboot ROM and the device should boots up. Then add account again and wait for 168 hours for unlocking.

Since we've got no auth programmer for Sm6125 we could use EDL mode freely.
    Hi all add me to the list with a k20pro.
    The device was unlocked at the start, i got MIUI 12.5 global and flashed with miflashtool.
    but wipe and lock was active.
    now the phone comes up to the recovery menu and says the miui version is not for this device.
    When I try to flash to another version, miflashtool says the device is locked,
    Gave it to a repair shop for 1.5 months and nothing. I live in Iran so no authorized service centers here.
    I have access to fast boot mode and recovery.

I tried xiaomitoll V2 which had a specific question asking if my device would show This MIUI version can't be installed on this device in phone is bricked option. It goes to get china official Rom but then errors.

I'm a noob here so any help would be great, tnx.