• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Thor][Apollo] Unlocking bootloader with any firmware

Search This thread

ggow

Recognized Developer
Feb 28, 2014
Amazon Fire
Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact
dear volks,

i have one big problem. i did buy another apollo now. and now i need to unlock. i used the 1-click-tool without success (Unlock code is not correct.)
so i used the manual method (i have root on the tablet)

i but aboot and recovery with root to the right folders.
again unlock code is not correct.

can anybody help me? how to get correct unlock code? seems like cuber get one wrong. any can share the latest 1-click?

The best way to unlock is this method here:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=75284993&postcount=1006

I used it on a thor I got from ebay and it was by far easier than trying to obtain root etc.

Reactions: sol-invictus

nee_vak

Oct 14, 2009
Went through all the steps for Thor (7") device and it keeps booting into TWRP as default rather than the installed LineageOS. Any solution? Steps worked fine when flashing on Apollo (9") device, made sure to use correct TWRP and vuln.mbn, but no dice getting Thor to boot up anything other than TWRP when rebooting system.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Went through all the steps for Thor (7") device and it keeps booting into TWRP as default rather than the installed LineageOS. Any solution? Steps worked fine when flashing on Apollo (9") device, made sure to use correct TWRP and vuln.mbn, but no dice getting Thor to boot up anything other than TWRP when rebooting system.
Can you boot into Lineage from TWRP? If so suggest a different problem than not being able to boot ROM by default, although I am not immediately sure how to address it on this device. Common problem for those unlocking Moto phones which often have a bootloader menu prior to entering recovery. Executing a specific launch sequence immediately after flashing ROM is the key.

Last edited:

nee_vak

Oct 14, 2009
Can you boot into Lineage from TWRP? If so suggest a different problem than not being able to boot ROM by default, although I am not immediately sure how to address it on this device. Common problem for those unlocking Moto phones which often have a bootloader menu prior to entering recovery. Executing a specific launch sequence immediately after flashing ROM is the key.
Not sure how I would go about booting to Lineage directly, Reboot System only ends up going to TWRP. Repeated the same steps from start to finish, over and over, with no difference in result. So all I can open is either the bootloader or recovery, but I haven't been able to boot into Lineage at all.

Last edited:

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Not sure how I would go about booting to Lineage directly, Reboot System only ends up going to TWRP. Repeated the same steps from start to finish, over and over, with no difference in result. So all I can open is either the bootloader or recovery, but I haven't been able to boot into Lineage at all.
Answered question via "Reboot System only ends up going to TWRP".

Next suggested step: format (vs wipe) system partition and then reflash Lineage. If still no joy something may have gone amiss during unlock procedure.

I also assume data is already wiped as there is no 'dirty' upgrade path from FireOS

toblerone0

Nov 3, 2020
this is the details step for unlocking bootloader for the 2013 Kindle HDX 7 (Thor) and HDX 8.9 (Apollo). Becarefull the 2014 HDX 8.9 (Saturn) doesn't work! These steps are done in Windows 10, successfully checked by myselft!
i don't take any credits, just collect all the steps in one post of the whole process.

Download the needed files are in the attachment, just download them all + the TWRP for your device from this thread: TWRP 3.1.1-1
You do NOT need root for these steps!

1. Install the adb-setup-1.4.3 into a folder (for example: C:/adb), extract dd-0.5.zip + unlock.zip + aboot-xxx.zip, put dd.exe + get_code.bat + unlock.bat + twrp image (for your device) + aboot_vuln.mbn (for your device) into that folder. After that install the kindle_fire_usb_driver.
2. Turn on ADB-Debuging Mode in Developer Mod by tapping 7 times the build numbers in settings and connect to your computer + trust your device.
3. Excecute "get_code.bat" in the folder above, you will get a new file: unlock.code in the folder.
4. Open CMD in the folder and run "adb reboot bootloader", the Kindle will reboot to bootloader with "[ fastboot ]" on the display
5. On the Computer go to Device-Manager and change driver in "Other Android" to "Fire Devices - Android Adb Composite Driver" . It should say "Ready" on the Kindle.
6. Now we need to enter Bulk-Mode like the instruction in this thread: Bulk Mode
Type:

7. When done, hold down the power button until it reboots. Now you will be at Bootloader with [Fastboot] sign on the screen. Change the drive in Device-Manager again if needed.
8. Run the "unlock.bat" in the folder and you should get a green line: "unlock code is correct". Congrats your Kindle now has an unlocked bootloader.
9. Now hold power button again to shut down the device, then hold both "power button + Volume UP" and keep them for 3-5 seconds after you see the "kindle fire" logo. Then you will get into the TWRP and flash your desire things.

i hope this post will help others new member to free our beautifull devices!

Cheers and happy flashing :D

Trying to set this up with a 3rd gen 8.9. All files I've double checked are set up perfectly. I've tried with the two different micro USB cables I own, on both my desktop and Laptop running windows 10 with the various USB ports they have. I manage to get to the point where you install the driver in fastboot, and it's supposed to pop up with a ready and show up in the ADB devices but neither are happening. I'm using the exact driver it specifies. I've tried killing and restarting the server in ADB to no avail. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong or what else I could do to make this work. I saw there's another method but as it requires Linux, I'm making that a true last resort since I don't have any dualboot setup on either of my devices. Any help would be greatly appreciated, really hoping to get my HDX sorted out so I can get a newer Android on it.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Trying to set this up with a 3rd gen 8.9. All files I've double checked are set up perfectly. I've tried with the two different micro USB cables I own, on both my desktop and Laptop running windows 10 with the various USB ports they have. I manage to get to the point where you install the driver in fastboot, and it's supposed to pop up with a ready and show up in the ADB devices but neither are happening. I'm using the exact driver it specifies. I've tried killing and restarting the server in ADB to no avail. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong or what else I could do to make this work. I saw there's another method but as it requires Linux, I'm making that a true last resort since I don't have any dualboot setup on either of my devices. Any help would be greatly appreciated, really hoping to get my HDX sorted out so I can get a newer Android on it.
Use composite drivers that come with Moto device manager. Just install app; no need to run it. Use Windows device manager to assign driver. You'll likely need to use a different driver for ADB and fastboot communication. Common issue for newbies dealing with these fussy (to Windows) HDX devices.

toblerone0

Nov 3, 2020
Use composite drivers that come with Moto device manager. Just install app; no need to run it. Use Windows device manager to assign driver. You'll likely need to use a different driver for ADB and fastboot communication. Common issue for newbies dealing with these fussy (to Windows) HDX devices.
I installed the Moto device manager, uninstalled the fire drivers, got back into fastboot, assigned the ADB composite drivers from the Moto device manager set, and still no dice. I tried it over a few times with different setups and no driver combo has worked. I've tried rebooting as well after uninstalling drivers to make sure I'm going in as clean as I can. I'll just have to see about doing a live boot of linux and doing the alternative method.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I installed the Moto device manager, uninstalled the fire drivers, got back into fastboot, assigned the ADB composite drivers from the Moto device manager set, and still no dice. I tried it over a few times with different setups and no driver combo has worked. I've tried rebooting as well after uninstalling drivers to make sure I'm going in as clean as I can. I'll just have to see about doing a live boot of linux and doing the alternative method.
Yep - coaxing Windows to communicate with HDX devices (finding the right driver combination; identifying and removing other obstacles) is a hurdle that few enjoy. One click unlock with a Linux based host is the best alternative.

hjslaw

Oct 17, 2010
SOLVED: Stuck in the middle of the process

EDIT: I found the Motorola driver for the HDX and that made it possible to connect fastboot. Following the instructions the rest was easy.

Hi, I followed the instructions and came until here:

Open CMD in the folder and run "adb reboot bootloader", the Kindle will reboot to bootloader with "[ fastboot ]" on the display

and

On the Computer go to Device-Manager and change driver in "Other Android" to "Fire Devices - Android Adb Composite Driver" . It should say "Ready" on the Kindle.

After that, I am stuck, the tablet reboots, shows fastboot, but no further commands are recognized.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Last edited:

Bwangster12

Jan 3, 2011
New York
this is the details step for unlocking bootloader for the 2013 Kindle HDX 7 (Thor) and HDX 8.9 (Apollo). Becarefull the 2014 HDX 8.9 (Saturn) doesn't work! These steps are done in Windows 10, successfully checked by myselft!
i don't take any credits, just collect all the steps in one post of the whole process.

Download the needed files are in the attachment, just download them all + the TWRP for your device from this thread: TWRP 3.1.1-1

1. Install the adb-setup-1.4.3 into a folder (for example: C:/adb), extract dd-0.5.zip + unlock.zip + aboot-xxx.zip, put dd.exe + get_code.bat + unlock.bat + twrp image (for your device) + aboot_vuln.mbn (for your device) into that folder. After that install the kindle_fire_usb_driver.
2. Turn on ADB-Debuging Mode in Developer Mod by tapping 7 times the build numbers in settings and connect to your computer + trust your device.
3. Excecute "get_code.bat" in the folder above, you will get a new file: unlock.code in the folder.
4. Open CMD in the folder and run "adb reboot bootloader", the Kindle will reboot to bootloader with "[ fastboot ]" on the display
5. On the Computer go to Device-Manager and change driver in "Other Android" to "Fire Devices - Android Adb Composite Driver" . It should say "Ready" on the Kindle.
6. Now we need to enter Bulk-Mode like the instruction in this thread: Bulk Mode
Type:

7. When done, hold down the power button until it reboots. Now you will be at Bootloader with [Fastboot] sign on the screen. Change the drive in Device-Manager again if needed.
8. Run the "unlock.bat" in the folder and you should get a green line: "unlock code is correct". Congrats your Kindle now has an unlocked bootloader.
9. Now hold power button again to shut down the device, then hold both "power button + Volume UP" and keep them for 3-5 seconds after you see the "kindle fire" logo. Then you will get into the TWRP and flash your desire things.

So I was able to do this... and now am in TWRP, but how do I put the ROM and GAPPS on my Kindle? I didn't do that before this and TWRP isn't mounting and the ADB sideload feature isn't starting.

Last edited:

Ayub8855

Dec 29, 2020
I did the same as dscribed but i m getting error as unlcok code is incorrect. Any solu
Generate the unlock code on your own Kindle (no python required)

Prerequisites

• Platform tools (adb + fastboot) from Google
  • Fire drivers from Amazon
    (if you want something that works with *both* adb *and* fastboot, make sure you hand-pick the 'Android Composite ADB Interface' driver under 'Fire Devices' in Device Manager)
    Update Driver Software... >> Browse my computer for driver software >> Let me pick from a list [...] >> Fire Devices
  • Download and extract unlock.zip (SHA256: e5db0b8d82c8fd2a25a22b0a598014d22a2ec33cef27a8d4b65a36acde08f27a)
    to the same directory that holds the adb and fastboot executables (default: platform-tools)
    unless, of course, you have added that directory to your PATH

Code Generation & Unlock
  1. Click on get_code.bat in the extracted folder (default: platform-tools)
    --- this replaces step 1 (including *both* 1.1 & 1.2) of the OP ---
    Check that two hex-numbers are printed (manfid+serial) and a new file 'unlock.code' appears in that folder
  2. Perform Step 2 of the OP
  3. Click on unlock.bat in the extracted folder (default: platform-tools)
    --- this replaces step 3 of the OP ---
    if you see < waiting for any device > in the Command window, you'll need to manually select a driver

That's all folks...

SokiSorgenkind

Jan 28, 2021
Steps unlock bootloader and needed files

Type:

Hi friends,

I'd like to speak out a big thankyou for this guide and everyone involved. Even though I can be considered a newbie in the flashing/rooting/whatever-android business, I was able to bring lineageos 14.1 to my HDX 8.9 apollo with 4.5.5.3. I had to read through loads of different sites and getting the correct/working files like twrp and the actual rom and fitting gapps was quite a ride for me but I did it... The good old HDX is getting a second chance... boy am I proud :)

Have a good rest-weekend
Thankyou
Soki

Reactions: hiitsrudd

hubh98

Dec 17, 2008
The best way to unlock is this method here:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=75284993&postcount=1006

I used it on a thor I got from ebay and it was by far easier than trying to obtain root etc.

This is the best one so far now. With everything you need. Just download the latest TWRP from the link https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/recovery-unlocked-bl-twrp-3-5-0_9-1.3322547/

Tested it on a kindle fire HDX 8.9 3rd gen, and it works great. The newest opengapp for arm v7.1 does not work with lineage OS 14.1. I used one from 20200117.

OP's method is not good, because of broken links to google driver.

sinisterscu

Oct 12, 2012

Goliath12

Apr 25, 2018
Hi, I always thanks for your help.
Recently, I saw a script about test rom(lineage 16.0). I have been used lineage 14.1 version.
First I tried to upgrade TWRP recovery on my HDX 7"(thor) for version 3.5.0_9-1.(before I used 3.1.1).
I did flashing TWRP recovery on install image menu on TWRP 3.1.1. and after reboot, It can't loading TWRP when kindle fire logo came out with hold button power + vol.up....
and freezing... but, after just rebooting(without hold button power + vol.up). I can use before lineage 14.1 version.
If I want to using TWRP recovery, do I have to unlock and install TWRP 3.1.1 version again?

Last edited:

biwuchen

Feb 27, 2021

Type:

thank you!!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello. At first, I did not invent anything new, just checked some my guess on a other motherboard. All thanks and credits to our great developers. As always, all at your own risk.
    It does not work on the Fire HDX 8.9 (Saturn)!
    All steps in this manual are not necessary but they are present for maximum safety. So I highly recommend do anything exactly in this way. Sorry my English as always =)
    Update2 - actual method is https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=75284993&postcount=1006
    Update: now you can use updated draxie's utility - http://forum.xda-developers.com/kindle-fire-hdx/general/multi-platform-1-click-bootloader-t3241014

Prerequisites for Installation
    - Root
    - Installed adb and fastboot drivers - official - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2twXJIOgv-UWWdwRl9TQS11b0k (if your system language not English, after fail navigate to "Program Files (x86)\Lab126\drivers" and run dpinst.exe /EL or switch to English =) for x64 need to disable driver signature verification before install ) also you can use pdanet drivers - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=59268023&postcount=8

Manual:
    1. Create unlock file following this instruction - https://forum.xda-developers.com/ki...r-firmware-t3463982/post70881555#post70881555

2. Flash old vulnarable aboot and cubed twrp (just in case). Check that all these commands executed without errors. If you'll get one - read second post below. If your firmware <=13(14)3.2.3.2 skip this step.
    Download aboot and twrp for Thor (Kindle Fire HDX 7) https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2twXJIOgv-UMGxXMUZPZTlZTUk or for Apollo (Kindle Fire HDX 8.9) - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2twXJIOgv-URzJDQkczNzRLaHM - and put this two files (twrp_cubed.img and aboot_vuln.mbn) into root of your kindle internal storage.
    Run:
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    dd if=/sdcard/twrp_cubed.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery
    dd if=/sdcard/aboot_vuln.mbn of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/aboot
    Now you have working twrp recovery. It already works even without unlocked bootloader. You could boot into it by holding volUP during grey kindle logo. But no need to flash anything until unlock. At this point this is just emergency tool if something goes wrong =)

3. Flash unlock file.
    Now, if you reboot, you will go straight into fastboot because of old aboot - newest boot.img can't load with it. If your firmware <13(14).4.1.1 you need run "adb reboot bootloader" to boot into fastboot.
    Time to flash your unlock file.
    Code:
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash unlock 0xmmssssssss.unlock
    You must obtain "unlock code is correct".
    Grats. You are perfect =)
    You can flash:
    CM13 - http://forum.xda-developers.com/kin...ment/rom-cm-13-kindle-hdx-2015-11-29-t3259732
    CM 12.1 - http://forum.xda-developers.com/kin...ent/rom-cm-12-unofficial-apollo-thor-t3050199
    Or stock repacked latest 4.5.5.2 rom - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2twXJIOgv-UVFFtN2RYNXNUZ0k (13.x - thor, 14.x - apollo)
    Do not flash original stock firmwares.

Regards and thank to all - @dpeddi, @vortox, @draxie, @ggow, @Ralekdev, @jcase, @Hashcode
    And greatest thanks for motherboard for my experiments to @MahmudS !

Type:
    Code:
    fastboot -i 0x1949 erase aboot
    fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot

NB: this will be scary as you'll lose 'fastboot' and only see a black screen.
    Your device should reboot into "bulk mode" resulting in a number of pop-up
    windows asking to format all the partitions that get exposed (at least, on Windows 10).
    DO NOT format anything! Follow the above instructions instead.

Open a command window (cmd) and run the following commands:

Code:
    wmic partition where index=22 get diskindex
    wmic partition where (index=17 and numberofblocks=20480) get diskindex
    wmic partition where (index=5 and numberofblocks=4096) get diskindex

All three of the above commands should return the same DiskIndex. Let's call that index X.

In the command window, run the following two commands with the right aboot&twrp files for your device
    (you will need to substitute the DiskIndex X from above in place of the X):

Code:
    dd of=\\?\Device\HarddiskX\Partition6 if=aboot_vuln.mbn
    dd of=\\?\Device\HarddiskX\Partition18 if=twrp_cubed.img

This error message on the first command seems normal: "Error reading file: 87 The parameter is incorrect"
    NB: make sure you run both commands! Without TWRP, you'll get a brick.

Wait a few minutes for good measure; then, keep holding Power + VolUp until your device enters TWRP.

Generate the unlock code on your own Kindle (no python required)

Prerequisites
    • Platform tools (adb + fastboot) from Google
    • Fire drivers from Amazon
      (if you want something that works with *both* adb *and* fastboot, make sure you hand-pick the 'Android Composite ADB Interface' driver under 'Fire Devices' in Device Manager)
      Update Driver Software... >> Browse my computer for driver software >> Let me pick from a list [...] >> Fire Devices
    • Download and extract unlock.zip (SHA256: e5db0b8d82c8fd2a25a22b0a598014d22a2ec33cef27a8d4b65a36acde08f27a)
      to the same directory that holds the adb and fastboot executables (default: platform-tools)
      unless, of course, you have added that directory to your PATH

Code Generation & Unlock
    1. Click on get_code.bat in the extracted folder (default: platform-tools)
      --- this replaces step 1 (including *both* 1.1 & 1.2) of the OP ---
      Check that two hex-numbers are printed (manfid+serial) and a new file 'unlock.code' appears in that folder
    2. Perform Step 2 of the OP
    3. Click on unlock.bat in the extracted folder (default: platform-tools)
      --- this replaces step 3 of the OP ---
      if you see < waiting for any device > in the Command window, you'll need to manually select a driver

That's all folks...
    BULK MODE

it is all my fault.my device is apollo,nexus4.4.4. when unlocking bootloader,i put the wrong file into interstorage,that is thor's aboot vuln and twrp cube.and then my hdx8.9 cannot enter recovery,bootload and system,only display background light.i can still see its storage in computer,but shows do not find device in adb .so what should i do to save my apollo?i am appreciating for you help..

Here's a set of instructions that _SHOULD_ work to recover your device.
    We had two recent successful cases, and I've only managed to brick
    one of my test devices experimenting with this.

Nevertheless, the standard disclaimer still applies: your device, your risk.
    If anything goes wrong, I'm not responsible.

1. Open a command window (cmd, NOT PowerShell!!) and run the following commands:
      Code:
      wmic partition where index=22 get diskindex
      wmic partition where (index=17 and numberofblocks=20480) get diskindex
      wmic partition where (index=5 and numberofblocks=4096) get diskindex
      All three of the above commands should return the same DiskIndex.
      Let's call that index X.
    2. Download and extract http://www.chrysocome.net/downloads/dd-0.5.zip.
    3. In the command window, change to the directory with the extracted dd.exe
      and run the following two commands with the right aboot&twrp files for your device
      (you will need to substitute the DiskIndex X from above in place of the red X):
      Code:
      dd of=\\?\Device\Harddisk[COLOR="Red"]X[/COLOR]\Partition6 if=aboot_vuln.mbn
      dd of=\\?\Device\Harddisk[COLOR="Red"]X[/COLOR]\Partition18 if=twrp_cubed.img
      This error message on the first command seems normal: "Error reading file: 87 The parameter is incorrect"
      NB: make sure you run both commands! Without TWRP, you'll get a brick.
    4. Wait a few minutes for good measure; then, keep holding Power + VolUp until your device enters TWRP.

@bluecoyote, @Mr McBoatface (or anyone else starting from fastboot)
    I have all the ingredients for a script, but haven't had time to put it all together.
    The above instructions work, once you put your device into "bulk mode".
    To do so, you'll need to run these two fastboot commands:
    Code:
    fastboot -i 0x1949 erase aboot
    fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot
    NB: this will be scary as you'll lose 'fastboot' and only see a black screen.
    Your device should reboot into "bulk mode" resulting in a number of pop-up
    windows asking to format all the partitions that get exposed (at least, on Windows 10).
    DO NOT format anything! Follow the above instructions instead.

Oh, and YES: this should also work on any unrooted & locked 3rd gen HDX device.
    You need to enable ADB and run the following command to enter fastboot:
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

This is arguably faster (and less malware-ridden) than trying to root with Kingroot,
    but it's easy to make a small mistake and end up with a brick.
    Although I have registered my 'thanks' on various posts it seems hollow to not explicitly recognize @ONYXis and @draxie for their tremendous contributions supporting this device both past and present. The ability to unlock virtually any rooted 3rd gen HDX is a true game changer that will revive interest in this discontinued gem that still competes nicely with contemporary offerings. Well done, gents!