[Thor][Apollo] Unlocking bootloader with any firmware

Search This thread

nhatanh181

Nov 1, 2016
FAQ:
1. if your get "not such file or directory" after su in step 2 (this is SAFESTRAP related possibly)- try to use next commands:
Code:
adb shell
su
dd if=/storage/emulated/0/twrp_cubed.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery
dd if=/storage/emulated/0/aboot_vuln.mbn of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/aboot
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=68751981&postcount=35

Shouldn't be possible. Will provide a more complete response within 12 hours. Got a few irons in the Fire at present (sorry)

I suppose you're right. I followed Step 2 and twrp recovery img might have override the safestrap.

I found safestrap rom-slot file as well as old kindle app folders:

Last edited:

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
FAQ:
1. if your get "not such file or directory" after su in step 2 (this is SAFESTRAP related possibly)- try to use next commands:

I suppose you're right. I followed Step 2 and twrp recovery img might have override the safestrap.

I found safestrap rom-slot file as well as old kindle app folders: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kUzm0FzOMU
After pondering a couple options I believe the safest path is to unlock the bootloader (realize this apparently failed before) and reflash twrp. That will yield a known configuration that is suitable for flashing CM13 or other HDX compatible ROMs.

Currently your device is in an unknown/unproven state. You should not have been able to flash TWRP 3.0.2 or CM-13 with a locked bootloader. Safestrap remnants are also concerning. Normally I would advise a full wipe and reflash of the system partition but that could have unfavorable outcomes given the potentially unstable config.

If CM-13 boots don't change anything! Retrace and repeat steps taken to unlock the bootloader, correcting any errors as needed. Once the bootloader is successfully unlocked return to CM-13 and use Flashify (available in the Play Store or via apkmirror) to backup your current recovery and flash HDX build of TWRP 3.0.2.

Once complete power down device and then restart via <power>+<vol-up> to confirm native TWRP 3.0.2 is properly installed in the recovery partition. That's your proof positive confirmation the device is unlocked. From there you can proceed with a full wipe (system, data, dalvik and cache partitions; can leave "internal storage" as is) and then reflash CM-13 plus a suitable GAaps package (suggest nano). Be sure to flash GAaps concurrent with CM-13; doing it later often leads to problems (generic CM 12/13 issue). Alternatively, you could go with Nexus 6.0.1 which is all inclusive; just one zip to flash!

Sorry for the novel. Again, ask questions as needed. Good luck.

Last edited:

nhatanh181

Nov 1, 2016
After pondering a couple options I believe the safest path is to unlock the bootloader (realize this apparently failed before) and reflash twrp. That will yield a known configuration that is suitable for flashing CM13 or other HDX compatible ROMs.

Currently your device is in an unknown/unproven state. You should not have been able to flash TWRP 3.0.2 or CM-13 with a locked bootloader. Safestrap remnants are also concerning. Normally I would advise a full wipe and reflash of the system partition but that could have unfavorable outcomes given the potentially unstable config.

If CM-13 boots don't change anything! Retrace and repeat steps taken to unlock the bootloader, correcting any errors as needed. Once the bootloader is successfully unlocked return to CM-13 and use Flashify (available in the Play Store or via apkmirror) to backup your current recovery and flash HDX build of TWRP 3.0.2.

Once complete power down device and then restart via <power>+<vol-up> to confirm native TWRP 3.0.2 is properly installed in the recovery partition. That's your proof positive confirmation the device is unlocked. From there you can proceed with a full wipe (system, data, dalvik and cache partitions; can leave "internal storage" as is) and then reflash CM-13 plus a suitable GAaps package (suggest nano). Be sure to flash GAaps concurrent with CM-13; doing it later often leads to problems (generic CM 12/13 issue). Alternatively, you could go with Nexus 6.0.1 which is all inclusive; just one zip to flash!

Sorry for the novel. Again, ask questions as needed. Good luck.

Good news! I got the bootloader unlock. I don't know why this time it works. May be your assurance give me confidence. Thank you!

I still want to use amazon prime benefits. Is there anyway i can have CM with kindle ROM ?

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Good news! I got the bootloader unlock. I don't know why this time it works. May be your assurance give me confidence. Thank you!

I still want to use amazon prime benefits. Is there anyway i can have CM with kindle ROM ?
lol - no. One or the other. But most Prime benefits can be obtained through Amazon apps available through the Play Store. A notable exception is "Amazon Underground" (shopping and Prime Video) which must be obtained directly from Amazon. Google refuses to host it as offers apps (often free) that are available for purchase in the Play Store.

nhatanh181

Nov 1, 2016
lol - no. One or the other. But most Prime benefits can be obtained through Amazon apps available through the Play Store. A notable exception is "Amazon Underground" (shopping and Prime Video) which must be obtained directly from Amazon. Google refuses to host it as offers apps (often free) that are available for purchase in the Play Store.

CM13 is really tempting, but i must use kindle ROM to get a free borrow book every month (only thing i hold on to the crazy FireOS).

So i found this twrp compatible: http://xdaforums.com/kindle-fire-hdx/development/recovery-twrp-3-0-0-0-t3322547

I re-write down your steps to be sure that i get it right:
1 . Back up current recovery img with Flashify
2. Flash the twrp in the link above
3. Boot into recovery and Wipe Dalvik/Data/Cache/System and flash ROM

I can find anywhere stock recovery, does twrp back it up somewhere?

Last edited:

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
CM13 is really tempting, but i must use kindle ROM to get a free borrow book every month (only thing i hold on to the crazy FireOS).

So i found this twrp compatible: http://xdaforums.com/kindle-fire-hdx/development/recovery-twrp-3-0-0-0-t3322547

I re-write down your steps to be sure that i get it right:
1 . Back up current recovery img with Flashify
2. Flash the twrp in the link above
3. Boot into recovery and Wipe Dalvik/Data/Cache/System and flash ROM

I can find anywhere stock recovery, does twrp back it up somewhere?
Stock recovery was replaced when TWRP was flashed (no auto backup). Seems you prefer FireOS. What ROM is installed now? Care must be taken reinstalling FireOS to avoid a potential brick scenario.

nhatanh181

Nov 1, 2016
Stock recovery was replaced when TWRP was flashed (no auto backup). Seems you prefer FireOS. What ROM is installed now? Care must be taken reinstalling FireOS to avoid a potential brick scenario.

It's running CM 13 with twrp 3.0.2-0 ( i know lot of people would be happy to trade place with mine). The kindle is 7", the ultimate goal is to reverse to the original design with stock recovery, fireOS with safestrap and CM 11.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
It's running CM 13 with twrp 3.0.2-0 ( i know lot of people would be happy to trade place with mine). The kindle is 7", the ultimate goal is to reverse to the original design with stock recovery, fireOS with safestrap and CM 11.
You're not going get stock recovery back (easily) nor is there any reason to. It sounds like you were running FireOS in the STOCK slot and CM 11 in a secondary slot. You decided which ROM to use (FireOS or CM 11) when the device booted. You used CM 11 most of the time but booted FireOS on occasion to grab a free book (more accurately borrow a book from the Kindle Owners' Lending Library). Is that correct? Sorry for all the questions but it's important to understand the desired end state.

Although you may not have known it running multiple ROMs under Safestrap v4 (a special version for HDX devices) introduces significant problems. ROMs in secondary slots never sleep and can only utilize two of the four available processors. The two active processors are locked full throttle increasing heat and taking a toll on battery life. WiFi and/or Bluetooth radios don't always work in secondary slots although CM11 seems to be an exception.

nhatanh181

Nov 1, 2016
You're not going get stock recovery back (easily) nor is there any reason to. It sounds like you were running FireOS in the STOCK slot and CM 11 in a secondary slot. You decided which ROM to use (FireOS or CM 11) when the device booted. You used CM 11 most of the time but booted FireOS on occasion to grab a free book (more accurately borrow a book from the Kindle Owners' Lending Library). Is that correct? Sorry for all the questions but it's important to understand the desired end state.

Although you may not have known it running multiple ROMs under Safestrap v4 (a special version for HDX devices) introduces significant problems. ROMs in secondary slots never sleep and can only utilize two of the four available processors. The two active processors are locked full throttle increasing heat and taking a toll on battery life. WiFi and/or Bluetooth radios don't always work in secondary slots although CM11 seems to be an exception.

Yes, that's the end game i'm looking for. Everything could have been like that nice and easy until i came across this thread. OP should have give a warning about how difficult it will be to reverse back the process. I always thought unlocked is better than locked so i can get CM13 running with FireOS, but it turns out to be one way street. I'm aware of heat and battery life while running safestrap, but i have no other options given the desire to have a free book every month.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Yes, that's the end game i'm looking for. Everything could have been like that nice and easy until i came across this thread. OP should have give a warning about how difficult it will be to reverse back the process. I always thought unlocked is better than locked so i can get CM13 running with FireOS, but it turns out to be one way street. I'm aware of heat and battery life while running safestrap, but i have no other options given the desire to have a free book every month.
Understood. You''ll need a special build of FireOS to accomplish your objectives without jeopardizing the device. I have put a request in to another contributor who has done this before; let's see what comes back in the next 24-48 hours. There are other options but all involve more work, risk or both.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Understood. You''ll need a special build of FireOS to accomplish your objectives without jeopardizing the device. I have put a request in to another contributor who has done this before; let's see what comes back in the next 24-48 hours. There are other options but all involve more work, risk or both.
Checking in. The contributor mentioned above has not responded to my inquiry and has been absent from XDA (no posts) for nearly two months. Thinking he may be out-of-pocket for awhile.

You need a custom build of FireOS that can be flashed with TWRP. A stock version downloaded from Amazon would likely brick your device. At present only version 4.5.5 is available which is not rootable. That means no Safestrap or CM11. While fully functional it can not be upgraded or rolled back as both operations depend on the Amazon stock recovery which has been overwritten by TWRP. Catch 22.

Up to you: hang on CM 13 (or any other custom ROM) or fall back to v4.5.5 which will leave you with pure FireOS. Conceivably you could keep backups of CM 13 and FireOS on your device (assuming a 32/64 GB model) and toggle back and forth by restoring archives in TWRP. Very messy. Alternatively, you can create your own custom FireOS 4.5.5.1 build using a python based developer tool. Doesn't look that tricky once you have python and associated libraries up an running on a suitable host.

Last edited:

nhatanh181

Nov 1, 2016
Checking in. The contributor mentioned above has not responded to my inquiry and has been absent from XDA (not posts) for nearly two months. Thinking he may be out-of-pocket for awhile.

You need a custom build of FireOS that can be flashed with TWRP. A stock version downloaded from Amazon would likely brick your device. At present only version 4.5.5 is available which is not rootable. That means no Safestrap or CM11. While fully functional it can not be upgraded or rolled back as both operations depend on the Amazon stock recovery which has been overwritten by TWRP. Catch 22.

Up to you: hang on CM 13 (or any other custom ROM) or fall back to v4.5.5 which will leave you with pure FireOS. Conceivably you could keep backups of CM 13 and FireOS on your device (assuming a 32/64 GB model) and toggle back and forth by restoring archives in TWRP. Very messy. Alternatively, you can create your own custom FireOS 4.5.5.1 build using a python based developer tool. Doesn't look that tricky once you have python and associated libraries up an running on a suitable host.

I will take your advice and stay still with CM for now. One small concern though, should i leave the unlocked bootloader be unlocked?

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I will take your advice and stay still with CM for now. One small concern though, should i leave the unlocked bootloader be unlocked?
CM 13 (and most other custom ROMs for this device) and twrp require an unlocked bootloader. There are no risks, exposures or potential 'gotchas'. FireOS runs fine on unlocked devices. No need to relock.

Reactions: nhatanh181

houkai4355

Aug 7, 2016
/system/bin/sh: python.exe: not found

can not done the step 1.2 after install pyhon2.7 and gmpy2.2.0.2, I am a newbie,sry!:confused:

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
can not done the step 1.2 after install pyhon2.7 and gmpy2.2.0.2, I am a newbie,sry!:confused:
If you post your device manfid and serial another contributor may provide an unlock file. There is no risk publicly posting these values (and the corresponding unlock file) as they are only applicable to your device.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
@ONYXis - was looking through OP again and noticed an important detail: seems twrp can be flashed on any 3rd gen HDX without first unlocking the bootloader. Explains why a recent poster was able to install twrp (and apparently flash cm13) despite a failed unlock (he subsequently fixed it). Any known issues/limitations aside from those imposed by the locked bootloader itself?

All my devices are unlocked so I didn't pick up on this earlier (just skimmed the OP). I can see situations where getting twrp working without immediately unlocking could be advantageous.

@ONYXis - was looking through OP again and noticed an important detail: seems twrp can be flashed on any 3rd gen HDX without first unlocking the bootloader..
Twrp image signed with cuber and vulnarable bootloader 3.2.3.2 can boot it without unlocking.
As for CM13 I remember what our devs wrote that is not enough to sign boot.img of custom rom with cuber to work, but I do not tried.
Sure, we can use twrp without unlock as advanced recovery, but why?

Last edited:

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Twrp image signed with cuber and vulnarable bootloader 3.2.3.2 can boot it without unlocking.
As for CM13 I remember what our devs wrote that is not enough to sign boot.img of custom rom with cuber to work, but I do not tried.
Sure, we can use twrp without unlock as advanced recovery, but why?
Ah - thank you! Makes sense now as leveraging vulnerable 3.2.3.2 bootloader (missed that). As for custom ROMs I would never advocate flashing on a locked bootloader unless explicitly indicated it is acceptable by dev (currently only KitKat based roms).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello. At first, I did not invent anything new, just checked some my guess on a other motherboard. All thanks and credits to our great developers. As always, all at your own risk.
    It does not work on the Fire HDX 8.9 (Saturn)!
    All steps in this manual are not necessary but they are present for maximum safety. So I highly recommend do anything exactly in this way. Sorry my English as always =)
    Update2 - actual method is https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=75284993&postcount=1006
    Update: now you can use updated draxie's utility - http://xdaforums.com/kindle-fire-hdx/general/multi-platform-1-click-bootloader-t3241014

Prerequisites for Installation
    - Root
    - Installed adb and fastboot drivers - official - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2twXJIOgv-UWWdwRl9TQS11b0k (if your system language not English, after fail navigate to "Program Files (x86)\Lab126\drivers" and run dpinst.exe /EL or switch to English =) for x64 need to disable driver signature verification before install ) also you can use pdanet drivers - http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=59268023&postcount=8

Manual:
    1. Create unlock file following this instruction - https://xdaforums.com/kindle-fire-h...r-firmware-t3463982/post70881555#post70881555

2. Flash old vulnarable aboot and cubed twrp (just in case). Check that all these commands executed without errors. If you'll get one - read second post below. If your firmware <=13(14)3.2.3.2 skip this step.
    Download aboot and twrp for Thor (Kindle Fire HDX 7) https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2twXJIOgv-UMGxXMUZPZTlZTUk or for Apollo (Kindle Fire HDX 8.9) - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2twXJIOgv-URzJDQkczNzRLaHM - and put this two files (twrp_cubed.img and aboot_vuln.mbn) into root of your kindle internal storage.
    Run:
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    dd if=/sdcard/twrp_cubed.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery
    dd if=/sdcard/aboot_vuln.mbn of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/aboot
    Now you have working twrp recovery. It already works even without unlocked bootloader. You could boot into it by holding volUP during grey kindle logo. But no need to flash anything until unlock. At this point this is just emergency tool if something goes wrong =)

3. Flash unlock file.
    Now, if you reboot, you will go straight into fastboot because of old aboot - newest boot.img can't load with it. If your firmware <13(14).4.1.1 you need run "adb reboot bootloader" to boot into fastboot.
    Time to flash your unlock file.
    Code:
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash unlock 0xmmssssssss.unlock
    You must obtain "unlock code is correct".
    Grats. You are perfect =)
    You can flash:
    CM13 - http://xdaforums.com/kindle-fire-hdx/orig-development/rom-cm-13-kindle-hdx-2015-11-29-t3259732
    CM 12.1 - http://xdaforums.com/kindle-fire-hdx/development/rom-cm-12-unofficial-apollo-thor-t3050199
    Or stock repacked latest 4.5.5.2 rom - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2twXJIOgv-UVFFtN2RYNXNUZ0k (13.x - thor, 14.x - apollo)
    Do not flash original stock firmwares.

Regards and thank to all - @dpeddi, @vortox, @draxie, @ggow, @Ralekdev, @jcase, @Hashcode
    And greatest thanks for motherboard for my experiments to @MahmudS !
    Steps unlock bootloader and needed files

this is the details step for unlocking bootloader for the 2013 Kindle HDX 7 (Thor) and HDX 8.9 (Apollo). Becarefull the 2014 HDX 8.9 (Saturn) doesn't work! These steps are done in Windows 10, successfully checked by myselft!
    i don't take any credits, just collect all the steps in one post of the whole process.

Download the needed files are in the attachment, just download them all + the TWRP for your device from this thread: TWRP 3.1.1-1
    You do NOT need root for these steps!

1. Install the adb-setup-1.4.3 into a folder (for example: C:/adb), extract dd-0.5.zip + unlock.zip + aboot-xxx.zip, put dd.exe + get_code.bat + unlock.bat + twrp image (for your device) + aboot_vuln.mbn (for your device) into that folder. After that install the kindle_fire_usb_driver.
    2. Turn on ADB-Debuging Mode in Developer Mod by tapping 7 times the build numbers in settings and connect to your computer + trust your device.
    3. Excecute "get_code.bat" in the folder above, you will get a new file: unlock.code in the folder.
    4. Open CMD in the folder and run "adb reboot bootloader", the Kindle will reboot to bootloader with "[ fastboot ]" on the display
    5. On the Computer go to Device-Manager and change driver in "Other Android" to "Fire Devices - Android Adb Composite Driver" . It should say "Ready" on the Kindle.
    6. Now we need to enter Bulk-Mode like the instruction in this thread: Bulk Mode
    Type:
    Code:
    fastboot -i 0x1949 erase aboot
    fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot

NB: this will be scary as you'll lose 'fastboot' and only see a black screen.
    Your device should reboot into "bulk mode" resulting in a number of pop-up
    windows asking to format all the partitions that get exposed (at least, on Windows 10).
    DO NOT format anything! Follow the above instructions instead.

Open a command window (cmd) and run the following commands:

Code:
    wmic partition where index=22 get diskindex
    wmic partition where (index=17 and numberofblocks=20480) get diskindex
    wmic partition where (index=5 and numberofblocks=4096) get diskindex

All three of the above commands should return the same DiskIndex. Let's call that index X.

In the command window, run the following two commands with the right aboot&twrp files for your device
    (you will need to substitute the DiskIndex X from above in place of the X):

Code:
    dd of=\\?\Device\HarddiskX\Partition6 if=aboot_vuln.mbn
    dd of=\\?\Device\HarddiskX\Partition18 if=twrp_cubed.img

This error message on the first command seems normal: "Error reading file: 87 The parameter is incorrect"
    NB: make sure you run both commands! Without TWRP, you'll get a brick.

Wait a few minutes for good measure; then, keep holding Power + VolUp until your device enters TWRP.

7. When done, hold down the power button until it reboots. Now you will be at Bootloader with [Fastboot] sign on the screen. Change the drive in Device-Manager again if needed.
    8. Run the "unlock.bat" in the folder and you should get a green line: "unlock code is correct". Congrats your Kindle now has an unlocked bootloader.
    9. Now hold power button again to shut down the device, then hold both "power button + Volume UP" and keep them for 3-5 seconds after you see the "kindle fire" logo. Then you will get into the TWRP and flash your desire things.

i hope this post will help others new member to free our beautifull devices!

Cheers and happy flashing :D
    Generate the unlock code on your own Kindle (no python required)

Prerequisites
    • Platform tools (adb + fastboot) from Google
    • Fire drivers from Amazon
      (if you want something that works with *both* adb *and* fastboot, make sure you hand-pick the 'Android Composite ADB Interface' driver under 'Fire Devices' in Device Manager)
      Update Driver Software... >> Browse my computer for driver software >> Let me pick from a list [...] >> Fire Devices
    • Download and extract unlock.zip (SHA256: e5db0b8d82c8fd2a25a22b0a598014d22a2ec33cef27a8d4b65a36acde08f27a)
      to the same directory that holds the adb and fastboot executables (default: platform-tools)
      unless, of course, you have added that directory to your PATH

Code Generation & Unlock
    1. Click on get_code.bat in the extracted folder (default: platform-tools)
      --- this replaces step 1 (including *both* 1.1 & 1.2) of the OP ---
      Check that two hex-numbers are printed (manfid+serial) and a new file 'unlock.code' appears in that folder
    2. Perform Step 2 of the OP
    3. Click on unlock.bat in the extracted folder (default: platform-tools)
      --- this replaces step 3 of the OP ---
      if you see < waiting for any device > in the Command window, you'll need to manually select a driver

That's all folks...
    BULK MODE

it is all my fault.my device is apollo,nexus4.4.4. when unlocking bootloader,i put the wrong file into interstorage,that is thor's aboot vuln and twrp cube.and then my hdx8.9 cannot enter recovery,bootload and system,only display background light.i can still see its storage in computer,but shows do not find device in adb .so what should i do to save my apollo?i am appreciating for you help..

Here's a set of instructions that _SHOULD_ work to recover your device.
    We had two recent successful cases, and I've only managed to brick
    one of my test devices experimenting with this.

Nevertheless, the standard disclaimer still applies: your device, your risk.
    If anything goes wrong, I'm not responsible.

1. Open a command window (cmd, NOT PowerShell!!) and run the following commands:
      Code:
      wmic partition where index=22 get diskindex
      wmic partition where (index=17 and numberofblocks=20480) get diskindex
      wmic partition where (index=5 and numberofblocks=4096) get diskindex
      All three of the above commands should return the same DiskIndex.
      Let's call that index X.
    2. Download and extract http://www.chrysocome.net/downloads/dd-0.5.zip.
    3. In the command window, change to the directory with the extracted dd.exe
      and run the following two commands with the right aboot&twrp files for your device
      (you will need to substitute the DiskIndex X from above in place of the red X):
      Code:
      dd of=\\?\Device\Harddisk[COLOR="Red"]X[/COLOR]\Partition6 if=aboot_vuln.mbn
      dd of=\\?\Device\Harddisk[COLOR="Red"]X[/COLOR]\Partition18 if=twrp_cubed.img
      This error message on the first command seems normal: "Error reading file: 87 The parameter is incorrect"
      NB: make sure you run both commands! Without TWRP, you'll get a brick.
    4. Wait a few minutes for good measure; then, keep holding Power + VolUp until your device enters TWRP.

@bluecoyote, @Mr McBoatface (or anyone else starting from fastboot)
    I have all the ingredients for a script, but haven't had time to put it all together.
    The above instructions work, once you put your device into "bulk mode".
    To do so, you'll need to run these two fastboot commands:
    Code:
    fastboot -i 0x1949 erase aboot
    fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot
    NB: this will be scary as you'll lose 'fastboot' and only see a black screen.
    Your device should reboot into "bulk mode" resulting in a number of pop-up
    windows asking to format all the partitions that get exposed (at least, on Windows 10).
    DO NOT format anything! Follow the above instructions instead.

Oh, and YES: this should also work on any unrooted & locked 3rd gen HDX device.
    You need to enable ADB and run the following command to enter fastboot:
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

This is arguably faster (and less malware-ridden) than trying to root with Kingroot,
    but it's easy to make a small mistake and end up with a brick.
    Although I have registered my 'thanks' on various posts it seems hollow to not explicitly recognize @ONYXis and @draxie for their tremendous contributions supporting this device both past and present. The ability to unlock virtually any rooted 3rd gen HDX is a true game changer that will revive interest in this discontinued gem that still competes nicely with contemporary offerings. Well done, gents!