[THOR] Successfully rolled back to 13.3.1.0 (Safestrap working)

Search This thread

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Yes it's still operational, although I had to install another launcher as after instilling Open Gapps I could not pass the setup wizard. Please note that I have Safestrap installed.
Are you interested replacing FireOS with Nexus or CM11 which effectively yields a standard Android tablet detached from Amazon's ecosystem? The work effort and risks (low) are similar for all three paths. All work with Safestrap.

Sorry for the series of questions. Trying to identify the best path and minimize rework.

mohzean

Sep 4, 2007
[/COLOR]
Are you interested replacing FireOS with Nexus or CM11 which effectively yields a standard Android tablet detached from Amazon's ecosystem? The work effort and risks (low) are similar for all three paths. All work with Safestrap.

Sorry for the series of questions. Trying to identify the best path and minimize rework.

First Thank you for your responsiveness,
Currently I have Safestrap that I could create a new space for CM11. However I'm not so happy with it, I'd rather go back to the original Amazon's image then later I can create new space for CM11 to have both working in parallel.

Last edited:

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
[/COLOR]

First Thank you for your responsiveness,
Currently I have Safestrap that I could create a new space for CM11. However I'm not so happy with it, I'd rather go back to the original Amazon's image then later I can create new space for CM11 to have both working in parallel.
Below are two links to Safestrap compatible roms:
- first replaces current image with FireOS 4.5.2 (no 4.5.5.1 counterpart)
- second is an emergency recovery option (Nexus) if the first fails

Download both and place in internal storage. Reboot to Safestrap recovery. Use the install option to flash FireOS to the stock slot. Accept option to wipe dalvik+cache after flash completes. Then reboot system.

You mentioned 'create a new space for CM11’ should you opt to switch at a future time. Never do this with Safestrap v4! Custom roms replace FireOS on this device; they should never be loaded into secondary slots.

Safestrap Flashable HDX Stock Images
Fire Nexus ROM for HDX

Last edited:
Reactions: mohzean

mohzean

Sep 4, 2007

Download both and place in internal storage. Reboot to Safestrap recovery. Use the install option to flash FireOS to the stock slot. Accept option to wipe dalvik+cache after flash completes. Then reboot system.

You mentioned 'create a new space for CM11’ should you opt to switch at a future time. Never do this with Safestrap v4! Custom roms replace FireOS on this device; they should never be loaded into secondary slots.

{links pending}

Again thank you for your reply,
I just wanted to know after installing 4.5.2, can I upgrade to the latest?

Waiting for links :)

Last edited:

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Again thank you for your reply,
I just wanted to know after installing 4.5.2, can I upgrade to the latest?

Waiting for links :)
Links posted. Be sure to pick the version appropriate to your device (check twice).

4.5.2 *should* auto update to 4.5.5.1 once flashed. However Amazon OTAs can be fickle once FireOS has been updated via Safestrap. There have been reports both ways...OTA to 4.5.5.1 worked perfectly and OTA never worked leaving the user stuck on 4.5.2. If the latter occurs your device will still be fully functional and missing no features. However, you may run into trouble running custom roms in the future as increasingly 4.5.5.1 is the recommended base level when using Safestrap. It's a risk you have to assess before moving forward.

After flashing 4.5.2 you can subsequently reinstall the Safestrap v4 app (here) to either reinstall Safestrap recovery or remove it entirely.

mohzean

Sep 4, 2007

Safestrap Flashable HDX Stock Images
Fire Nexus ROM for HDX

Thank you for all your support, I'm following this now and will let you know how it is gone.

---------- Post added at 02:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 PM ----------

Links posted. Be sure to pick the version appropriate to your device (check twice).

4.5.2 *should* auto update to 4.5.5.1 once flashed. However Amazon OTAs can be fickle once FireOS has been updated via Safestrap. There have been reports both ways...OTA to 4.5.5.1 worked perfectly and OTA never worked leaving the user stuck on 4.5.2. If the latter occurs your device will still be fully functional and missing no features. However, you may run into trouble running custom roms in the future as increasingly 4.5.5.1 is the recommended base level when using Safestrap. It's a risk you have to assess before moving forward.

After flashing 4.5.2 you can subsequently reinstall the Safestrap v4 app (here) to either reinstall Safestrap recovery or remove it entirely.

I installed 4.5.2 successfully using Safestrap, cleared cache and reboot; now it's stuck on Yello logo for around 30 mins. Is this normal? Should I force turn-off and restart again?

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Thank you for all your support, I'm following this now and will let you know how it is gone.
::
I installed 4.5.2 successfully using Safestrap, cleared cache and reboot; now it's stuck on Yello logo for around 30 mins. Is this normal? Should I force turn-off and restart again?
It is not and may be a result of previous modifications to build.prop. Suggest returning to Safestrap recovery and clearing system/data/dalvik/cache from the Wipe menu. Before doing that make sure the previously download ROM files are located in the the sdcard folder (or subfolder in sdcard.) via advanced->file manager. Definitely do not want to wipe those files! Then reflash FireOS and reboot system.

Before doing any of the above:
- insure device has at last 25% battery remaining (preferably close to a full charge)
- try powering off and restarting; simple, risk-free and might just work

mohzean

Sep 4, 2007
It is not and may be a result of previous modifications to build.prop. Suggest returning to Safestrap recovery and clearing system/data/dalvik/cache from the Wipe menu. Before doing that make sure the previously download ROM files are located in the the sdcard folder (or subfolder in sdcard.) via advanced->file manager. Definitely do not want to wipe those files! Then reflash FireOS and reboot system.

Before doing any of the above:
- insure device has at last 25% battery remaining (preferably close to a full charge)
- try powering off and restarting; simple, risk-free and might just work

If I wipe the data, won't this delete the ROM files from the SD Card?

mohzean

Sep 4, 2007
No - sdcard and folders/files within it are considered "internal storage" and are not flushed by the (user) data wipe option.

Thank you so much for your help, now I have version 4.5.2 working successfully, although update does not work, giving me error "Last update failed"
I rooted using Kingsroot and installed Safetrap.

Thank you

Reactions: DB126

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Thank you so much for your help, now I have version 4.5.2 working successfully, although update does not work, giving me error "Last update failed"
I rooted using Kingsroot and installed Safetrap.

Thank you
Let's leave well enough alone. Can revisit 4.5.2 -> 4.5.5.1 update should you wish to install a custom rom in the future. Strongly suggest you not attempt to install any variation of Google Play Services and/or Play Store with FireOS v4. Outcomes are variable but almost universally unsatisfactory depending on pain threshold. Custom ROM is the best path if you find Amazon's offerings too limiting.

Reactions: mohzean

mohzean

Sep 4, 2007
Let's leave well enough alone. Can revisit 4.5.2 -> 4.5.5.1 update should you wish to install a custom rom in the future. Strongly suggest you not attempt to install any variation of Google Play Services and/or Play Store with FireOS v4. Outcomes are variable but almost universally unsatisfactory depending on pain threshold. Custom ROM is the best path if you find Amazon's offerings too limiting.

Yes I guess it is enough for now , however do you think custom Rom can give higher version of Android (e.g. Lollipop)?

ivan_nik

Nov 3, 2015
Download link for update files for Apollo 3.2.5 did not work. I cann't download install.sh file. PM to me or post new link to it please.

Last edited:

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Download link for update files for Apollo 3.2.5 did not work. I cann't download install.sh file. PM to me or post new link to it please.
This procedure is obsolete any any xx.3.x.x version of FireOS can be rooted with Towelroot. From there you can unlock the bootloader, install TWRP and flash any custom rom for this device including KitKat, Lollipop and Marshmallow variants. No need to rollback or mess with Safestrap.

The above statements may counter some older guidance you see in the forums. The 'discovery' that the bootloader can be unlocked on any 3rd gen device is fairly recent.

After rooting be sure to keep the device network isolated (WiFi off; Airplane/flight mode engaged) to prevent an unwanted OTA update from Amazon that may ruin your day.

See the following thread to unlock the bootloader. You'll benefit from some technical background as the guide is written for experienced users.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/kindle-fire-hdx/general/thor-unlocking-bootloader-firmware-t3463982

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just let you guys know. I have Safestrap back to work :)

This is instructions to roll back to 13/14.3.1.0 from earlier version than 1x.3.2.5

Download below file and tool:

HDX ToolKit:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2665683

Roms:
    13.3.1.0 (Kindle HDX 7"): https://s3.amazonaws.com/kindle-fire-updates/update-kindle-13.3.1.0_user_310079820.bin
    or
    14.3.1.0 (Kindle HDX 8.9"): https://s3.amazonaws.com/kindle-fire-updates/update-kindle-14.3.1.0_user_310079820.bin

Build prop editor:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jrummy.apps.build.prop.editor

PLEASE READ INSTRUCTION CAREFULLY

INSTRUCTION:

1. Root your Kindle by HDX ToolKit
    Instruction at: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2665683
    1.1 Do not turn off Auto Update, just turn off and forget wifi to prevent auto update
    1.2 If you have safestrap installed, remove it.

2. Change Version and Build Number to lower values than 13/14.3.1.0 and 310079820
    2.1 Use Build prop editor
    2.2 Change those lines:
    ro.build.version.incremental : "13.3.0.9_user_300079820"
    ro.build.version.number : "300079820"
    ro.build.description : "thor-user 4.2.2 JDQ39 13.3.0.9_user_300079820 release-keys"
    ro.build.fingerprint : "Amazon/thor/thor:4.2.2/JDQ39/13.3.0.9_user_300079820:user/release-keys"
    (same for apollo but use: 14.3.0.9 and keep apollo name in description and fingerprint - only change build number and version)

3. Reboot the Kindle and go to Device > System Updates to check if Version and Build Number changed

4. Do manually update to 13/14.3.1.0
    - Connect Kindle to PC by usb cable
    - Copy rom file (.bin) from PC into Internal storage
    - Go to Device > System Updates and Press Update

5. Root and install Safestrap HDX ToolKit.
    Instruction at: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2665683

6. Press Thanks

FOR 1x.3.2.5 and 1x.3.2.6
    USE IT AT YOUR OWN RESPONSIBILITY because rewrite recovery partition.
    How to use it.
    1. install Towelroot and Supersu using KFHDX Toolkit v 0.94
    2. If Disable OTA update , Airplane mode ON and Enable OTA update
    3. If Install SafeStrap, uninstall safestrap on App.

4. Put "update-kindle-1X.3.1.0_user_310079820.bin" in SAME folder,
    5. execute install.bat
    6. reboot
    7. put update-kindle-1X.3.1.0_user_310079820.bin" in internal storage.
    8. Downgrade, wait a minute on the update menu, because display update button to take time.
    9. disable OTA update.

This batch file works "kindle fire hdx 7" ONLY
    This is tested on version 13.3.2.5 and 13.3.2.6.
    http://d-h.st/MAs

This batch file works "kindle fire hdx 8.9" ONLY
    sorry I do not have kindle fire hdx 8.9. I cannot test.

10/3/14 update build.prop
    http://d-h.st/Tz8

Thank @Poesini
    Very good that the rollback of Apollo is working .
    Rollback Batch file for HDX 7 and 8.9

USE IT AT YOUR OWN RESPONSIBILITY because rewrite recovery partition.
    How to use it.
    1. install Towelroot and Supersu using KFHDX Toolkit v 0.94
    2. If Disable OTA update , Airplane mode ON and Enable OTA update
    3. If Install SafeStrap, uninstall safestrap on App.

4. Put "update-kindle-1X.3.1.0_user_310079820.bin" in SAME folder,
    5. execute install.bat
    6. reboot
    7. put update-kindle-1X.3.1.0_user_310079820.bin" in internal storage.
    8. Downgrade, wait a minute on the update menu, because display update button to take time.
    9. disable OTA update.

This batch file works "kindle fire hdx 7" ONLY
    This is tested on version 13.3.2.5 and 13.3.2.6.
    http://d-h.st/MAs

This batch file works "kindle fire hdx 8.9" ONLY
    sorry I do not have kindle fire hdx 8.9. I cannot test.

10/3/14 update build.prop
    http://d-h.st/Tz8

Thank @Poesini
    Very good that the rollback of Apollo is working .
    Download update-kindle-13.3.1.0_user_310079820.bin

extract 4 files by 7zip or other tools.
    ---example---
    7z.exe e update-kindle-13.3.1.0_user_310079820.bin "boot.img" "recovery/recovery-from-boot.p" "system/etc/recovery-resource.dat" "system/etc/security/otacerts.zip"

//4files send to kindle
    adb shell mkdir /sdcard/recovery
    adb push otacerts.zip /sdcard/recovery/otacerts.zip
    adb push boot.img /sdcard/recovery/boot.img
    adb push recovery-from-boot.p /sdcard/recovery/recovery-from-boot.p
    adb push recovery-resource.dat /sdcard/recovery/recovery-resource.dat

// Rewrite OTACerts.zip file
    adb shell
    su
    mount -o remount, rw /system
    cd /sdcard/recovery
    cp otacerts.zip /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip

//make Recovery.img
    Code:
    applypatch -b recovery-resource.dat boot.img recovery.img 063993bdc8b5b866ce29899c63323369b6eaeb33 8939520 52fdd36db56cd4f52aa7566050026df5890e49f4:recovery-from-boot.p

//Rewrite Recovery.img
    Code:
    dd if=/sdcard/recovery/recovery.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery

I am gooing to make bat file and test
    if you want to bat file ,Please wait 3 day.

Sorry this is kindle fire hdx 7 only
    In the case of hdx 8.9, applypatch command is different.

This work might break the recovery partition .
    At your own responsibility
    Success to Rollback form 13.3.2.5

:laugh:
    There is a Two signature Check . One is otacerts.zip, another is keys in /recovery

Octacers.zip is picked up from /system/etc/security in update-kindle-13.3.2.4_user_324002120.
    I rewrite Octacers.zip on device.

Keys is in recovery partitions.
    I made recovery.img from 13.3.2.4 ROM.

I extract 4 files from update-kindle-13.3.2.4_user_324002120.

boot.img
    recovery/recovery-from-boot.p
    recovery/etc/install-recovery.sh
    system/etc/recovery-resource.dat

install-recovery.sh file is simplified below.
    Code:
    #!/system/bin/sh
    applypatch -b recovery-resource.dat boot.img:7047168:0fc460789279f0e01e3bacae132687b5f7ff6346 new-recovery.img 0ff1e4113a6d0e0c49c3693c72957c4009ac443f 8939520 0fc460789279f0e01e3bacae132687b5f7ff6346:recovery-from-boot.p

4 files copy to /system directory of device
    -example-
    /system/recovery-from-boot.p
    /system/boot.img
    /system/recovery-resource.dat
    /system/install-recovery.sh

When system directory is read only, .
    mount -o remount, rw /system

set parmission
    chmod 744 /system/install-recovery.sh

make NEW-RECOVERY.IMG From Boot.img ,recovery-resource.dat and recovery-from-boot.p , when excute install-recovery.sh.

In the good case , sha1 hash is 0ff1e4113a6d0e0c49c3693c72957c4009ac443f and file size is 8939520

Finally rewirte recovery
    dd if=/system/new-recovery.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery

After , please update 13.3.1.0 firmware as usual.

Please do only expert and since it may break
    I became rickety about three times.

I think that will work well using version 13.3.1.0,
    then notice SHA1 hash of new-recovery.img.

Thank to focusfre4k and ggow.
    btw i have the apollo edition

I believe the files and script are for Thor only... not sure if those files are applicable to Apollo too. The error seems to indicate that boot.img file is not found. Sure that boot.img is in the Recovery folder?

Might want to hold off until we get confirmation so that you don't brick your HDX since we're messing with the recovery...

[EDIT]

Downloaded the BIN archive file for Apollo from:

https://kindle-fire-updates.s3.amazonaws.com/update-kindle-14.3.1.0_user_310079820.bin

Found the comparable 14.3.1.0 (Apollo) files to be different from those for 13.3.1.0 (Thor):

boot.img
    install-recovery.sh
    recovery-from-boot.p
    recovery-resource.dat
    otacerts.zip (but releasekey.x509.pem within the ZIP is the same)

The equivalent script for Apollo should probably be:

Code:
    applypatch -b recovery-resource.dat boot.img:7014400:807359528efa11ae0fd6da4840ddf3630bf0b801 recovery.img 80d339c46afc1ac00e9f0655f485c8dfb7103d9d 8904704 807359528efa11ae0fd6da4840ddf3630bf0b801:recovery-from-boot.p
    [/EDIT]