Three Network Versions

Search This thread

JJ111

Mar 6, 2016
Berlin
Hey everyone,

the new Zenfone 6 is amazing, besides the FlipCamera it has nearly everything (big battery, microSD, 3,5 mm headphone,...).
Just one thing irritates me: there are three Versions A, B and C, as one can see here under "Network Standard"

https://www.asus.com/Phone/ZenFone-6-ZS630KL/Tech-Specs/

So can someone tell me what that means? Like if I get the European version A (with Band 20), will I than for instance not be able to use it in the USA for telephone / SMS?! Or just not LTE / can I still use it like on UMTS? No LTE at all or just not certain carriers?

Hope someone can make it clear to me, thanks in advance :)

Reactions: SDF05

mudnightoil

Jul 22, 2014
You'll be able to use it anywhere, it's just there's slightly less band coverage, so some networks in some countries would be nixed.

See Kimovil.com for network compatibility.

Gearbest currently have the 6GB / 64GB Version C (most bands) for €495.

MartyM76

Nov 2, 2015
Atlanta, GA
It means you'll have to be sure to verify you get the version with the bands needed for your particular carrier. You have to be very careful and verify before buying as it seems with the ZenFone 5Z, for example, sellers don't always properly clarify which version they're selling.

You need to find out which of the main bands your phone carrier uses then match them up to one of the versions. I use AT&T prepaid, so for for example I need a phone with coverage for bands 2,4,5,8, and 17 if I recall correctly.

If some bands aren't covered you won't have LTE in that area, as not all areas you're in are using the same network frequency bands. Therefore coverage can get worse when you travel with a phone without full band support.

wreq5

Nov 15, 2009
Checked out the bands available on the Asus site you linked (thank you very much BTW) and it seems they are missing bands 66(extension of band 4) & 71 (600mhz frequency) so it seems like it may work okay on TMobile.

What do you guys think if those two bands are missing? Will it be detrimental to daily use or not really? Currently on an OG Pixel and this Asus offering is looking like a future purchase!!

JJ111

Mar 6, 2016
Berlin

Thanks for the hint.
I need Band 20 (O2 Germany), so I can only use Version A (so no B or C for me).

---edit---

I just checked: T-Online and Vodafone use Band 20 and 32 (in Germany), but none of the three versions support both.

Last edited:

JJ111

Mar 6, 2016
Berlin
If some bands aren't covered you won't have LTE in that area, as not all areas you're in are using the same network frequency bands. Therefore coverage can get worse when you travel with a phone without full band support.

Ok, but does it mean I will at least have telephone and SMS in those areas, where the LTE band won't be supported?!

MartyM76

Nov 2, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Ok, but does it mean I will at least have telephone and SMS in those areas, where the LTE band won't be supported?!

Yes, as long at the other bands are supported (which they should be) it will drop to 3G/4G or whatever. That's why people using some Chinese phones for example in the USA can use everything but LTE.

You might
need to check however about VoLTE, I think. I don't have T-Mobile but you should read more about that as I've seen it mentioned in XDA & other places.

---------- Post added at 12:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

> Gearbest currently have the 6GB / 64GB Version C (most bands) for €495

I only see the A version there. Where did you find the C version?

Reactions: SDF05 and JJ111

charlatan01

Jan 10, 2008
Denver
This device just hit my radar... looks like we might have an upgrade winner!
For Tmobile US, C model is the way to go. The two highest bands that are missing with this device would get you better signal indoors / less interference, but I am not sure how far along that tech even is.

Reactions: JJ111

wreq5

Nov 15, 2009
The two highest bands that are missing with this device would get you better signal indoors / less interference, but I am not sure how far along that tech even is.

By highest bands do you mean 66 and 71? The only phones that use band 71 at the moment are Samsung s8 Active and LG V30. I currently have an OG Pixel and it does not use 66 or 71 and I get great coverage in the East coast even when going north into the mountains.

charlatan01

Jan 10, 2008
Denver
By highest bands do you mean 66 and 71? The only phones that use band 71 at the moment are Samsung s8 Active and LG V30. I currently have an OG Pixel and it does not use 66 or 71 and I get great coverage in the East coast even when going north into the mountains.
'

Yep, those are the two. Those two are still relatively new, and general Tmo coverage continues to improve here in Colorado.

Last edited:
Reactions: wreq5

SantinoInc

Jun 19, 2010
NYC
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I imagine that once the phone is sold on the asus.com website that particular variant will support all the main carriers LTE bands. I would be surprised if there were any major issues with that otherwise what's the point of even selling it in the USA?

MartyM76

Nov 2, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I imagine that once the phone is sold on the asus.com website that particular variant will support all the main carriers LTE bands.

Yes, for example in the case of the 5Z I just ordered (to get me by since I desperately need a phone with a better camera & no OLED to cause eye strain) the bands listed for phones at the Asus USA online store cover AT&T properly and to the best of my knowledge T-Mobile as well.

I figured out that they don't list phones there that aren't USA network compatible. I still check, regardless, just to feel 100% sure but that's what I found.

It's the 3rd party sellers you really need to be careful about and always verify.

Robbo.5000

This probably would have been my first choice until I noticed the different versions. With more and more manufacturers choosing to release single, global bands phones, I really don't understand why Asus insist on continuing to release regional versions of their phones.
Back in the days when everyone made regional models, I had the Padfone Infinity 2 and it was a great phone (until a late OTA release have it the new ZenUI, which was promptly removed). After reading that the latest ZenUI 6 has been slimmed down to an almost stock Android experience, I thought it might once again be similar to what Asus provided before ZenUI came along and that I can now once again consider Asus phones. Wrong!
I spend time in both Europe and Asia and there is no version that covers both areas major LTE bands. So Asus will have to remain on the list of phones to ignore.

Twotems

Feb 7, 2014
Vivo Nex
This probably would have been my first choice until I noticed the different versions. With more and more manufacturers choosing to release single, global bands phones, I really don't understand why Asus insist on continuing to release regional versions of their phones.
Back in the days when everyone made regional models, I had the Padfone Infinity 2 and it was a great phone (until a late OTA release have it the new ZenUI, which was promptly removed). After reading that the latest ZenUI 6 has been slimmed down to an almost stock Android experience, I thought it might once again be similar to what Asus provided before ZenUI came along and that I can now once again consider Asus phones. Wrong!
I spend time in both Europe and Asia and there is no version that covers both areas major LTE bands. So Asus will have to remain on the list of phones to ignore.
I'm in the same position. The C version covers everything I need except for Band 20 which is a necessity throughout Europe. The A version has Bamd 20 but won't work on US LTE. They did the same thing with the Zenfone 2 and inexplicably mixed up the bands regionally. I'll stick with my NexS for now but keep an eye on this phone in case the Limited edition they usually release solves the problem.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You'll be able to use it anywhere, it's just there's slightly less band coverage, so some networks in some countries would be nixed.

It means you'll have to be sure to verify you get the version with the bands needed for your particular carrier. You have to be very careful and verify before buying as it seems with the ZenFone 5Z, for example, sellers don't always properly clarify which version they're selling.

You need to find out which of the main bands your phone carrier uses then match them up to one of the versions. I use AT&T prepaid, so for for example I need a phone with coverage for bands 2,4,5,8, and 17 if I recall correctly.

Yes, as long at the other bands are supported (which they should be) it will drop to 3G/4G or whatever. That's why people using some Chinese phones for example in the USA can use everything but LTE.

You might
    need to check however about VoLTE, I think. I don't have T-Mobile but you should read more about that as I've seen it mentioned in XDA & other places.

---------- Post added at 12:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

> Gearbest currently have the 6GB / 64GB Version C (most bands) for €495

I only see the A version there. Where did you find the C version?
    Hey everyone,

the new Zenfone 6 is amazing, besides the FlipCamera it has nearly everything (big battery, microSD, 3,5 mm headphone,...).
    Just one thing irritates me: there are three Versions A, B and C, as one can see here under "Network Standard"

https://www.asus.com/Phone/ZenFone-6-ZS630KL/Tech-Specs/

So can someone tell me what that means? Like if I get the European version A (with Band 20), will I than for instance not be able to use it in the USA for telephone / SMS?! Or just not LTE / can I still use it like on UMTS? No LTE at all or just not certain carriers?

Hope someone can make it clear to me, thanks in advance :)

Thanks for the hint.
    I need Band 20 (O2 Germany), so I can only use Version A (so no B or C for me).

---edit---

I just checked: T-Online and Vodafone use Band 20 and 32 (in Germany), but none of the three versions support both.