• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

TigerVPN on a unrooted firestick

Search This thread

ssjdx1

Jun 24, 2017
Hi All,

So I bought tigerVPN and I have the amazon firestick (bought earlier this year not Alexa) which is running on FireOS 5.2.4.1. I've managed to get OpenVPN onto my firestick via sideloading and managed to import my .ovpn files and config file, i've even managed to connect to VPN using OpenVPN, however when I click on Netflix i'm still getting geographically locked. Am I right in guessing that the OpenVPN app is connected but my firestick is ignoring the application.

Is there anyway that I could use tigerVPN with my firestick?

Thanks,
ssjdx1

meygansan

Jun 24, 2017
Most VPN provider IP address are known to Netflix and thereby are blocked. They are not blocking VPN's but the commercials ISP who provide servers and rack space to the VPN companies. There are a few companies that have seemd to have solved the Netflix problem, Express and Surfbouncer I know for sure. If you have someone in the country where you want to watch that has fast Internet and is willing to let you put a small VPN server there that would be the 100% foolproof solution. Just look up Raspberry Pi VPN Server on Google for several tutorials. Or the device Surfbouncer is calling the behomebox which is essentially the do it yourself Raspberry Pi solution pre-configured

ssjdx1

Jun 24, 2017
Thanks for your reply, however when i access netflix from my laptop with openvpn running i am able to access netflix from different countries therefore my vpn provider isn't the problem here, the issue is to do with the firestick ignoring openvpn.