TileIconifier v2.2 - Native tile shortcuts to anything, with resize and move!

Search This thread

Jonno12345

Jul 5, 2009
Thanks for responding. Actually, yes. I intentionally tested that with a few excel files and they all open just by clicking the file name. That's what's weird here. I browse to the exact same file and link it through iconifier, but it doesn't launch. But when I click it through Explorer, it launches just fine. Weird.

Sorry, didn't see this message as it didn't notify me!

How are you creating the shortcut? The only reliable way I can think of that "should" work would be to create a custom shortcut, where the target is your excel document. Something like this:

jh8RjXY.png

TaliQuarian

Oct 13, 2016
I can't create a shourcut for Uplay game. I try copy Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege shourcut to C:\Users\pc\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs but it not show up in TileIconifier. Uplay games shourcut is just URL shourcut similar to steam game. I try make custom URL in TileIconifier but it say error. Any ideas how to make Uplay shorcut work with this program?: thanks:)

talmarsh

Jul 10, 2015
Great app!

When I create a tile (Iconified, not custom). Where is it saved? I'm trying to migrate to a fresh installation of windows.

Thanks.

Udzi

Aug 6, 2009
Black Forest
Does anyone else expect a delay after clicking a tile till the vbs action for a custom shortcut executes?
It happens the first time, the second there is no delay but reappears after a reboot.
I tried to recreate the shortcut, still a delay

hartmut.kleeberger

Feb 16, 2008
Sounds as this is a great app. I would really like to use it, but after downloading and extracting, the exe is just starting, not installing anything. Is this the way it should work?
After starting and choosing the custom shortcut manager the app is crashing. I would appreciate using thisgreat app. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for any help.

Jonno12345

Jul 5, 2009
Sounds as this is a great app. I would really like to use it, but after downloading and extracting, the exe is just starting, not installing anything. Is this the way it should work?
After starting and choosing the custom shortcut manager the app is crashing. I would appreciate using thisgreat app. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for any help.

Odd - no error message or anything? Not a lot to go on at the moment, could you maybe provide any output or screenshot of what happens?

Bekrah

Aug 11, 2015
As soon as Large and Wide tile options become avaiable you will definitely be receiving money from me in your paypal account. Keep up the good work!

Jonno12345

Jul 5, 2009
Latest update:

- Added 'batch shortcut operations' to utilities. This allows you to change the background colours and foreground text settings of multiple shortcuts at once (Shortcut must have already been iconified previously). Backup/restore functionality will come soon...ish. (Reasonably tested, feedback greatly appreciated!)
- A warning is now displayed for items with known incompatibility (currently known - Office, Chrome and Firefox).
- Various speed improvements, less refreshing going on
- Various bug fixes, hopefully a few less crashes going on for some odd use case
- .jpeg extension now allowed as well as .jpg

https://github.com/Jonno12345/TileIconifier/releases/

EasyGame7

Jan 11, 2015
Please make this app remember last folder contain image, or an option about default image folder.
And remember Dark Skin Option too.
Thank you so much for great app.

Sorry for my bad English.

P/s: After hard work thank to your app, I created this :). I use built in Admin acc so can't use tile genie. Hope if you can add that feature when you have free time :D

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 397
Last edited:
Aug 20, 2014
HI I wanna ask. Does your tool support Jumplist or context menu shortcuts like the other competing tile making app here on XDA, I think it's simply called Win10 Tile, I wanna use it since this far more complicated yet more powerful and customizable. This all I need now that I got custom tiles for my Adobe CC apps, and Office apps too.

If you still have that feature, I hope you work on that too in the future soon. It's the only thing you're losing

ParaDoX1994

Jan 31, 2014
Varkaus
Microsoft added a new tile folder feature in the Creators Update, so now I'd like to know if it could be possible to change the background of those folder tiles?

Mar 12, 2016
Microsoft added a new tile folder feature in the Creators Update, so now I'd like to know if it could be possible to change the background of those folder tiles?

Fairly sure that this program, which creates a LNK file with VisualManifest, has no way of targeting the folder properties, which has nothing to do with LNK files.

On the plus side - it's great to see that TileIconifier continues to work well in the Creators Update. Would still love to see this app migrated to the Windows store, using the Desktop App Converter (if that's possible - I'm really no programmer). More people should have access to this fantastic tool!

ParaDoX1994

Jan 31, 2014
Varkaus
I noticed a small problem with the Chrome app section where TileIconifier tries to find the Chrome apps from this path: "C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions". However, my Chrome profile isn't called as "Default", instead it's "Profile 1". I can't edit the path, meaning I can't access the Chrome apps. If I try to change it, I can't access the appdata folder because TileIconifier is using the old folder picker that doesn't have an address bar.

Last edited:

FcoEnrique

Jan 4, 2013
Santo Domingo
Hi,

Does anyone knows how to make custom tiles to work ONLY in the star menu, I mean, leaving the default icons for the taskbar when they are running but changing the shortcut .ico only for the star menu

Mar 12, 2016
Hi,

Does anyone knows how to make custom tiles to work ONLY in the star menu, I mean, leaving the default icons for the taskbar when they are running but changing the shortcut .ico only for the star menu

If you create a custom shortcut, using the options under "Utilities > Custom Shortcut Manager" you can create a new link that can be pinned to the start menu while leaving alone the default icon for a program. This will require you have the direct path to the application to be opened so you can set up your custom link. The new custom icon, once created, will be found in the start menu's all apps list under the folder "TileIconifier." You can pin that new custom link and if you pin the app to your taskbar it should retain its original icon there.

At least, I'm pretty sure this will work - I don't actually use any oddball icons for any of my links - I just use this tool to have icons that are more reasonably large and with differing background colors. But I have a fairly high degree of confidence that this will work.

Reactions: FcoEnrique

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    TileIconifier

Build small or medium tiles for almost any application in Windows 8.1 or 10 (Build 1511 / 10586+)!

Features:

* Customisable Small and Medium tiles, with configuration remembered between uses

EGTRvUQ.jpg

* Dark and light skins

* Picker to allow icons from EXE, DLL and ICO files

9UgJriB.png

* Ability to use most image file types (Including PNG/JPG/BMP/ICO)

* Ability to create custom shortcuts to ANY file/folder on your machine, which allows you to have multiple shortcuts with different arguments to the same executable

cjF5Nt0.png

* Automatically populate Windows Store Apps

jUjiIRN.png

* Automatically populates installed Steam games

lOQ0Ki2.png

* Automatically populates Chrome Apps

cvlTPUA.png

* Choose from a list of useful Explorer shortcuts

wp0gM27.png

*Change icon size and position with live preview of background colour and text overlay

NOFt4kZ.png

4HIHQ8V.png

e2qoJlF.png

* Completely open source

Downloads:

Please find the repository and latest releases here at my GitHub: https://github.com/Jonno12345/TileIconifier/releases

Bugs:

None that I know of, but let me know as soon as you find something and I'll resolve it ASAP!

Frequently Asked Questions:

Can you add Wide and Large tiles?

Unfortunately these options are only available for Live tiles, not standard LNK files with a VisualManifest, which is how this utility works. Unless Microsoft add support for it, this feature cannot be added in the near future.

Microsoft Office/Mozilla Firefox/Other shortcuts aren't working, can these be tiled?

There is some mechanism I have yet to understand overriding these from being tiled. The easiest way to resolve this is to go to your shortcut within TileIconifier and click 'Quick Build Custom Shortcut'. This will create a second shortcut with the same parameters that can be tiled, which you will then find in your start menu under 'TileIconify'.

How can I help?:

The source is there if you wish to make any amendments (The code itself could probably use a lot of optimisation). Otherwise, suggestions for UI improvements or features would be great! I have now started adding translations, if you're able to assist with these it would be great!

Donations:
    Please be aware that donations are absolutely not required. This software will always be free, open source and supported to the best of my ability. If you would like to support me with this and future aplications, please visit this link: https://www.paypal.me/Jonno12345

Thank you!
    Latest update:

- Added 'batch shortcut operations' to utilities. This allows you to change the background colours and foreground text settings of multiple shortcuts at once (Shortcut must have already been iconified previously). Backup/restore functionality will come soon...ish. (Reasonably tested, feedback greatly appreciated!)
    - A warning is now displayed for items with known incompatibility (currently known - Office, Chrome and Firefox).
    - Various speed improvements, less refreshing going on
    - Various bug fixes, hopefully a few less crashes going on for some odd use case
    - .jpeg extension now allowed as well as .jpg

https://github.com/Jonno12345/TileIconifier/releases/
    That's indeed pretty nice and awesome, @Jonno12345 :) Thanks for that.

May I ask if it could be possible to add an icon scaling option to the tile?
    So it's customizable how big the Icon would be shown on the tile?

But that's just a wish :D I'm glad about your tool as it is. Thanks again.
    //EDIT:
    Oh, and speaking about wishes, can you give TileIconifier a nice dark skin ^^

Have just released version 2.1 - this now includes icon resizing and moving. Let me know if there are any problems :)

https://github.com/Jonno12345/TileIconifier/releases

Ej68MxR.png

EB4Zr22.png
    Great utility!

Thank you for this great tool, it is the best tile customizer that exist so far!:good::good::good:
    Mate I'm not a member or anything here, but I just wanted to say WELL DONE!! This is brilliant. Just what I was looking for. Simple to use and you don't have to DL third-party proxys that pop up as malware and virus'. Thanks so much. Only feedback would be that it would be neat if you could make the background a level of transparency like the Start Menu.

Glad it's helpful to you :) I don't think transparency is possible unfortunately, a limitation of the start menu itself. If it ever becomes possible, rest assured I'll make sure it's available :).

Fairly big change coming out soon, I've added the ability to resize and move the icon around before 'iconifying' it, as requested by someone here. I'm not sure how user friendly, intuitive, or buggy it is at the moment. Just need to polish it a little more, but it allows you to make icons more like this, should you wish:

8WLemjq.jpg

Note that the left one was enlarged and moved within the app, using the same icon as the right one (Some resolution was lost in the enlarging, which I just need to resolve first ;) ).