Tilt usb modem drivers do not work on vista business.

Search This thread
Jan 26, 2008
Dallas
Hello,

I have searched thoroughly on this site and I cannot find any help. I used to have vista ultimate and I down loaded the usb modem drivers and it worked like a charm. I had to re image my pc and now I have vista business. However now when I try to load the drivers they do now show up on the device list and it does not successfully install the modem. Am I missing something? is there an updated driver? Can anyone please help or point me to where I can get some help. I really need to get back on line. Thanks XDA

Jemmauk

Mar 11, 2008
I have a suggestion which might work.

Look at your device manager and see if there is anything on there thats coming up as unidentified... if there is, and with the phone connected to activesync so the PC knows the phone is there (assuming activesync is working), delete those entries one by one and when you delete one you need to click *scan for hardware changes under the *actions menu.

If you didnt start from scratch with the PC - IE format the hard drive and rebuild the system - that may mean there is a corrupt version of the driver still floating about and causing problems. This is why in the places I have worked we always backed machines up - did a full format - and then either imaged or rebuilt the box manually.

Another option is to go online to the manufacturers support site for updated drivers and install them from a location you have saved them too to your hard drive..

From my experience dealing with recalcitrant USB devices I would think that the first issue is more likely.

However there is another possibility that may be the root of the problem. I know that different versions of Vista support different connectivity options and setups - aka Vista Basic doesnt do Active Directory or Domains (im dredging this up from memory so its a little hazy). There is the remote possibility that the Business version doesnt support phones as USB modems, although I would be very surprised if that was the case.

It does strike me as a little odd that you have gone from one version of the same OS to a different version of the same OS and have had this sort of problem... but then Microsoft are known for compatibility gremlins - two words - Windows ME

Hope that helped.

Jan 26, 2008
Dallas
I know, it is very surprising to me that now it does not work on Vista Business. You would think that it is basically the same OS but with less features. It is the 32 bit version. Its driving me crazy because I depend on it to do my work from my laptop and it just does not populate the device name when browsing and selecting the drivers. It sees the device it just does not pupulate. When I try to do the right click and install it does install it but it still does not show up under modems. If any one else has more suggestions I will greatly appreciate it.

Jan 26, 2008
Dallas
No need to panic fello xda members and friends. It is all good now...i am typing thins theteering from my laptop through my tilt. Thanks xda you are the best. The speed trough my tilt is faster than my 2wire at home....ftw.:d