[TIP] Force all apps to SD on FROYO

Search This thread

SiNJiN76

Sep 14, 2009
Battery died. Plugged phone in. Restarted phone. Apps not in Apps Drawer. Apps Still show in settings:Manage. ???

Deekayy

Jan 29, 2010
Go to setting ---> application --->Manage applications ---> running apps - force stop it then check your app drawer again.

I did what you said and that didn't do the trick.

My problem is every single app i moved to my SD the icon became generic and the apps in the drawer are missing. Even when i try to move it back to the phone the apps are still missing. Anyone have a solution to this problem? i'm using LauncherPro and i highly doubt that could be cause this problem.

nfy123

May 11, 2010
I get this with problem with LauncherPro, always does it after reboot. Just restart LauncherPro (Menu, (the one between home and back), Preferences, scroll to the bottom and Restart LauncherPro)

Deekayy

Jan 29, 2010
I get this with problem with LauncherPro, always does it after reboot. Just restart LauncherPro (Menu, (the one between home and back), Preferences, scroll to the bottom and Restart LauncherPro)

thank you!! this worked like a charm. I guess it was the LP that was causing the problem.. I was going to wipe my phone for the heck of it. thanks again.

torchedlh

Feb 21, 2010
So I've used this trick on stock Froyo but now since rooting I've used MarketAccess (or spare parts via Kang's ROM) but I beleieve all three of these methods work in the same way. However, I am finding it annoying that EVERY time i reboot/turn on my phone, I have to restart LauncherPro for the SD card apps to show up. Does anyone else have this problem? I know this is suppose to happen from time to time but it happens every time...Thanks

ExtraDas

Jul 2, 2010
For those of you not very comfortable with ADB or don't have a PC handy this moment, you can simply use the terminal on your phone..

Just:

Code:
su
pm setInstallLocation 2

Enjoy!

Worked on first try without reboot

cue_32

Jun 11, 2010
I ran a cross this little tip to force all apps to be installed on SD.

Unlock move to SD card for existing apps:
adb shell
pm setInstallLocation 2

LOVIN IT!!! Thanks...

Edit:
Had to switch back to Location 0... couldn't keep the weather widget or Astro File Manager to stay installed on my phone.

Last edited:

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
Here's what I do..

• Install location is set to 0 by default
  • Set it to 2
  • Go into manage Applications and click the handy button move apps to SD card (those which didn't previously allow it) (the Apps 2 SD application doesn't seem to work here, although it normally does?)
  • Set install location back to 0

This way I have complete control over what gets sent to the SD card, and none are forced there which shouldn't be (programs which always run, Widgets, Live Wallpaper, etc..)

Last edited:

Deekayy

Jan 29, 2010
If anyone can answer this question of mine i'd appreciate it..

Well i have a stock frf-91 N1 and i have it forced to install apps onto my sd. What i'm trying to understand is.. are the apps im going apptosd transferring all the memory to SD? Because i noticed when i transfer an app to sd the internal memory is still being taken up. Like i said i'm not sure how this apps to sd works, so if anyone can clarify that be great.

(reason for this question is because i installed soo many games/apps and its forced to my SD, then i realized that the internal memory i had 160 to start with is down to 20.)

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
If anyone can answer this question of mine i'd appreciate it..

Well i have a stock frf-91 N1 and i have it forced to install apps onto my sd. What i'm trying to understand is.. are the apps im going apptosd transferring all the memory to SD? Because i noticed when i transfer an app to sd the internal memory is still being taken up. Like i said i'm not sure how this apps to sd works, so if anyone can clarify that be great.

(reason for this question is because i installed soo many games/apps and its forced to my SD, then i realized that the internal memory i had 160 to start with is down to 20.)

It only moves the apk itself. It's up to the application if it stores data in internal or external storage.

I went from 20 to 45M free, so it was sufficient for me to gain some extra internal storage space, but the drawback is having 20-30 apps on the SD card makes it take foooorreeeevvvveeeeerrrr to switch to mass storage. The apks are somehow loop mounted, and it has to unmount each of them before it can unmount the SD card and give it to the mass storage.

When I switch to another ROM, I'll be using the old apps2sd method.

texasice

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 27, 2009
Austin
adb shell
pm setInstallLocation 2

Thanks for the tip. I was under the impression move to SD was app specific and the had to be enabled within the apk before froyo would let you move it. This is great for those huge apps like flash that was stealing all my storage space.
Use this in combination with LeoFroYo's data to sd and i was able to free nearly 100MB.

Deekayy

Jan 29, 2010
It only moves the apk itself. It's up to the application if it stores data in internal or external storage.

I went from 20 to 45M free, so it was sufficient for me to gain some extra internal storage space, but the drawback is having 20-30 apps on the SD card makes it take foooorreeeevvvveeeeerrrr to switch to mass storage. The apks are somehow loop mounted, and it has to unmount each of them before it can unmount the SD card and give it to the mass storage.

When I switch to another ROM, I'll be using the old apps2sd method.

Thanks for the feedback.. i thought apps2sd would take all of the memory straight to sd. So rooting the device would unlock the rest of the internal storage the phone has(512)?

Deekayy

Jan 29, 2010
er, what? I don't know of any storage limitation the Nexus One has, it had a memory limitation due to the kernel in use, but the Froyo kernel fixed that.

What i'm trying to understand that the nexusone has flash memory of 512mb but my phone only has roughly 180mb to start with. then i have to use force apps2sd in order to save some of my internal memory. i want to know if anyone has 512mb memory like the phone should have?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I ran a cross this little tip to force all apps to be installed on SD.

adb shell
    pm setInstallLocation 2
    Remember people, apps that need root will not work ;)