• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

TIP: love your OP7? Do NOT upgrade to Android 10

Search This thread

chrisross

Apr 24, 2011
Europe
OnePlus 8 Pro
You will never know unless you try! But, seriously you won't do any damage with Oxygen Updater. You may loose TWRP & Magisk though...

I' lost twrp and magisk this time which was annoying, but fixable. My main concern is about the partitions which don't show up in twrp (but files are all there in OP's file manager) and which twrp can't repair. I've no idea if the installation process will crash because of this (boot loop etc).

I suppose I really should have done a clean install for Android 10, but I never trust the backup processes. And now I can't use the OnePlus app to copy over my my 5T because Bluetooth won't work (though I have copied the backup to my pc).

rezapatel

Nov 9, 2007
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
OnePlus 8T
With my experience on 10.0.2 on OP7 and previously on 6T, I still think A10 isn't ready for prime time yet. And I'm amazed, this is considering A10 was released on OP7/Pro almost 2 months back. Bugs is one thing, but simple dunk in performance and general sluggishness compared to Pie isn't acceptable. Probably it's both Google and Oneplus to blame here.

Reactions: pycxe-01

chrisross

Apr 24, 2011
Europe
OnePlus 8 Pro
No harm is trying, just make sure to reflash twrp and magisk (on both slots) post the local upgrade via the updater. The updater app technically does nothing but downloads the full rom file for you.

I used file off the updater and installed via local upgrade, flashed twrp via magisk, reinstalled magisk (on both slots) and rebooted. Everything seems to be working good, keeping the general A10 issues aside.

PS. Make sure to delete all magisk modules and restarting before following the above process.

Well that failed at the first hurdle! Told Updater I wanted to keep root, specified Magisk, then it booted into TWRP - but TWRP can't see any files!

What do you mean by 'flashed twrp via magisk'? I've flashed magisk via twrp, but not the other way round (I've been searching for an answer, unsuccessfully).

rezapatel

Nov 9, 2007
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
OnePlus 8T
Well that failed at the first hurdle! Told Updater I wanted to keep root, specified Magisk, then it booted into TWRP - but TWRP can't see any files!

What do you mean by 'flashed twrp via magisk'? I've flashed magisk via twrp, but not the other way round (I've been searching for an answer, unsuccessfully).

Flashing twrp via magisk is only doable if you're already rooted, which is only the first time you're upgrading via 'local upgrade' and before reboot.

Since you have lost your root already, the only way ahead I know of is to extract the boot.img from the full rom zip and patch the img file via magisk to get your magisk root. Once you have the root, you can flash twrp as a magisk module. Make sure to download the latest twrp, which is twrp-3.3.1-74-guacamole-unified-Q-mauronofrio.

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 PM ----------

Flashing twrp via magisk is only doable if you're already rooted, which is only the first time you're upgrading via 'local upgrade' and before reboot.

Since you have lost your root already, the only way ahead I know of is to extract the boot.img from the full rom zip and patch the img file via magisk to get your magisk root. Once you have the root, you can flash twrp as a magisk module. Make sure to download the latest twrp, which is twrp-3.3.1-74-guacamole-unified-Q-mauronofrio.

Here's a nice video how to do that -

strongst

Senior Moderator / Developer Committee
Staff member
Sep 18, 2007
thank's
HTC Desire
Smart Watches

Nope, you can flash twrp.img also, no need to patch boot.img with magisk, since mauronofrio updated the twrp for Q long time ago.

Reactions: Nimueh

rezapatel

Nov 9, 2007
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
OnePlus 8T

Also, if you have twrp already you can try to flash the latest magisk 20.1 via USB OTG while staying in recovery?

---------- Post added at 07:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 PM ----------

Nope, you can flash twrp.img also, no need to patch boot.img with magisk, since mauronofrio updated the twrp for Q long time ago.

Yep but since he doesn't have magisk, I guess it'll need to be flashed directly via twrp if he can access the local storage or USB and then eventually magisk. Not sure but he can flash via fastboot too, although not sure if fastboot works similar to how it does on Pie? Out of curiosity, do you know? Wonder why the tutorials on A10 seem to be pointing towards the longer route of patching boot.img instead of pushing the recovery directly via fastboot :)

chrisross

Apr 24, 2011
Europe
OnePlus 8 Pro
Also, if you have twrp already you can try to flash the latest magisk 20.1 via USB OTG while staying in recovery?

OK I seem to have caused some confusion. I Do have root, bi have Magisk 20.1 installed. My terminal window shows I flashed the unified Q twrp, but when I boot to Recovery it only reports 3.3.1, and twrp sees no files at all (even though that is how I flashed Magisk). It won't allow to wipe Dalvik, or anything else. Repair won't work. I'd just like to get rid of the failures in 10.0.2. I've been exploring options to avoid factory reset, but if that's what it takes...

EDIT: I've reflashed the unified Q twrp and it records the version correctly. However, it still showed empty folders. I did a reboot and it went back into Recovery, and it how shows all the zips/imgs etc, that I copied over to the phone! Now to try installing the OS again.

Last edited:

strongst

Staff member
Sep 18, 2007
thank's
HTC Desire
Smart Watches
Yep but since he doesn't have magisk, I guess it'll need to be flashed directly via twrp if he can access the local storage or USB and then eventually magisk. Not sure but he can flash via fastboot too, although not sure if fastboot works similar to how it does on Pie? Out of curiosity, do you know? Wonder why the tutorials on A10 seem to be pointing towards the longer route of patching boot.img instead of pushing the recovery directly via fastboot :)
You should search for tutorials not on outdated YouTube videos ;)

https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-7/how-to/guide-unlock-bootloader-flash-twrp-root-t3954559

Fastboot is working as on every other device and rom.

Reactions: rezapatel

rezapatel

Nov 9, 2007
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
OnePlus 8T
OK I seem to have caused some confusion. I Do have root, bi have Magisk 20.1 installed. My terminal window shows I flashed the unified Q twrp, but when I boot to Recovery it only reports 3.3.1, and twrp sees no files at all (even though that is how I flashed Magisk). It won't allow to wipe Dalvik, or anything else. Repair won't work. I'd just like to get rid of the failures in 10.0.2. I've been exploring options to avoid factory reset, but if that's what it takes...

If you're rooted, you can directly flash the latest twrp via magisk. Same way as you'd add a module.

---------- Post added at 07:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 PM ----------

You should search for tutorials not on outdated YouTube videos ;)

https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-7/how-to/guide-unlock-bootloader-flash-twrp-root-t3954559

Fastboot is working as on every other device and rom.

Gotcha gotcha, guess no distinction of A10 confused me on what's possible and what's not. So those videos are prior to the twrp days heh.

While at it, do you know if it's possible downgrading to 9.5.8 without losing data from 10.0.2?

Thanks!

chrisross

Apr 24, 2011
Europe
OnePlus 8 Pro
If you're rooted, you can directly flash the latest twrp via magisk. Same way as you'd add a module.

---------- Post added at 07:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 PM ----------

Gotcha gotcha, guess no distinction of A10 confused me on what's possible and what's not. So those videos are prior to the twrp days heh.

While at it, do you know if it's possible downgrading to 9.5.8 without losing data from 10.0.2?

Thanks!

OK, (some!) progress. I rebooted to System, and the problems I had before (SIM icons, no WIFi/BT etc. seem to have gone away. But when I started Magisk Manager it said that I didn't have Magisk installed. Rebooted to TWRP and it was showing no files detected. Flashed TWRP again - noticed in the flash CLI that it was being flashed to Slot A, where it had been to slot B previously. This was confirmed when I opened up TWRP again.

This raises a question I was going to ask anyway: do I install the OS to the second slot as well as Magisk, or should I leave Slot A empty for the next OTA?

strongst

Staff member
Sep 18, 2007
thank's
HTC Desire
Smart Watches

Thanks!
You need to clean flash. Downgrading android versions was a mess since the beginning.

strongst

Staff member
Sep 18, 2007
thank's
HTC Desire
Smart Watches
OK, (some!) progress. I rebooted to System, and the problems I had before (SIM icons, no WIFi/BT etc. seem to have gone away. But when I started Magisk Manager it said that I didn't have Magisk installed. Rebooted to TWRP and it was showing no files detected. Flashed TWRP again - noticed in the flash CLI that it was being flashed to Slot A, where it had been to slot B previously. This was confirmed when I opened up TWRP again.

This raises a question I was going to ask anyway: do I install the OS to the second slot as well as Magisk, or should I leave Slot A empty for the next OTA?
The ota will always be installed to the OTHER slot. That's the purpose of seamless updates and with project treble. So it doesn't matter to which slot you flash it.

chrisross

Apr 24, 2011
Europe
OnePlus 8 Pro
The ota will always be installed to the OTHER slot. That's the purpose of seamless updates and with project treble. So it doesn't matter to which slot you flash it.

Thanks. I thought I had a fully functioning Android 10 on OP7. However, although I flashed Magisk after the OS, Magisk Manager said Magisk is not installed. So I went to Recovery to flash again - but it has gone to stock recovery! This is the second time this happened, and it was flashing twrp after the previous attempt that I got the Slot A rather than Slot B. I seem to be going round in circles.

rezapatel

Nov 9, 2007
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
OnePlus 8T
Thanks. I thought I had a fully functioning Android 10 on OP7. However, although I flashed Magisk after the OS, Magisk Manager said Magisk is not installed. So I went to Recovery to flash again - but it has gone to stock recovery! This is the second time this happened, and it was flashing twrp after the previous attempt that I got the Slot A rather than Slot B. I seem to be going round in circles.

You will need to run the following in a single go -

If using local upgrade follow this = Flash rom > flash twrp zip as module > flash magisk primary slot > flash magisk second slot

If using twrp to flash follow this = Flash rom > flash twrp zip > reboot to recovery > flash magisk

And if you don't have twrp right now, you will need to flash recovery.img in fasboot mode, boot to twrp, flash twrp.zip and further execute the steps above.

---------- Post added at 10:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 PM ----------

If using local upgrade follow this = Flash rom > flash twrp zip as module > flash magisk primary slot > flash magisk second slot

If using twrp to flash follow this = Flash rom > flash twrp zip > reboot to recovery > flash magisk

And if you don't have twrp right now, you will need to flash recovery.img in fasboot mode, boot to twrp, flash twrp.zip and further execute the steps above.

Just look at the guide link strongst shared a few posts above. That has all the info you need.

Reactions: pycxe-01

chrisross

Apr 24, 2011
Europe
OnePlus 8 Pro

---------- Post added at 10:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 PM ----------

Just look at the guide link strongst shared a few posts above. That has all the info you need.

Very many thanks. I won't do anything more tonight. For now, I have a fully working Android 10, with only root missing which I can live with for now.

ninjaquick

Mar 20, 2009
I just upgraded to 10, and it is faster, so far about the same battery life(if not better), better darkmode support, better overall system performance and actually supports OTG Adapter+Charge+HDMI dongles.

I validated perf with synthetic and real-world benchmarks. I also have it on 90hz always, with DC Dimming and yeah -- I don't see why *not* use it unless you're dead-set on not factory reset first. Not every app and utility will behave correctly being carried over that way.

Reactions: GraveDigger176

franco985

Feb 9, 2011
OnePlus 8 Pro
OnePlus 9 Pro
I just upgraded to 10, and it is faster, so far about the same battery life(if not better), better darkmode support, better overall system performance and actually supports OTG Adapter+Charge+HDMI dongles.

I validated perf with synthetic and real-world benchmarks. I also have it on 90hz always, with DC Dimming and yeah -- I don't see why *not* use it unless you're dead-set on not factory reset first. Not every app and utility will behave correctly being carried over that way.
Can you share your sot ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I bought my OP7 (non pro) last week and directly upgraded to android 10 so i can not compare with 9 but for me 10 works great. When you compare andrid 9 and 10 on OP7 you should keep in mind following:

1. Android 9 was already few months old when OP7/Pro were released and oneplus already had it working on 6 and 6T. This means that there was enough time for both google and oneplus to iron out the bugs and bring very stable and optimized version of android 9 for OP7. Even though several additional bugfix and optimization builds were released.
    2. Android 10 was released very fast after google announced the final version on the other hand so it is completely normal not all bugs in android itself and oneplus addons to be fully fixed yet. It is also normal optimizations not to be at the same level.

So to sum it up - you are comparing the most stable possible software (year old android 9 with several maintenance releases) and the newest possible android. I am sure that in a month or two all bugs will be fixed gradually. Saying that i am completely happy with latest stable android 10. :)

Thanks!
    You need to clean flash. Downgrading android versions was a mess since the beginning.
    Long story short.
    Upgraded to Android 10.
    "Search" stopped working within Settings
    Battery life went from Awesome to Awful, Awful, Awful (known issue)
    Fought the battery issue for two days (requested help with BBS dump)
    Downgraded to Pie using TWRP backup (mistake)
    This bricked the phone
    Spent a whole day unbricking
    Have my phone back but lost local files (photos, documents)

Android Pie ain't broke… Don't be like me, there's nothing to fix, the OP7 on latest Pie is awesome, it's all downhill from there.
    But that's not a general recommendation to not update to Android 10;)
    Don't know what's the problem with the battery :confused: this screenshots from OpenBeta 4 and now i'm on OpenBeta 5 will see how's the battery there :good: for me on every OpenBeta no problem with the battery life :good::cowboy:
    Maybe the reason is that I always to a fresh start from the scratch with every OpenBeta :good:

Sent from my OnePlus7 using XDA Labs
    How is your bluetooth module behaving on Android 10?
    Same as on pie, but less disconnects to both smartwatches