• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[TIP] Smart Action: WiFi Connection

Search This thread

pdefazio

Sep 17, 2010
Just thought I'd share something that is really working for me in terms of battery life:

Create a smart action that disables cellular data whenever you are connected to a WiFi network.

I have been consistently getting 12+ hours of battery with moderate to heavy use when on only on WiFi.

Last edited:

bebeau25

Oct 14, 2011
Just thought I'd share something that is really working for me in terms of battery life:

Create a smart action that disables cellular data whenever you are connected to a WiFi network.

I have been consistently getting 12+ hours of battery with moderate to heavy use when on only on WiFi.

I have the same setup. Also have an action when I turn my screen off it disables wifi, background sync, cell data, and GPS. 12+ hrs here also.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Szadzik

Apr 29, 2007
Lodz
On mine data turns off the moment I connect to WiFi and that is the way it is supposed to work. Do you see a H, E, or whatever data icon next to the bars when you connect to WiFi? If not, it means data is already off. Why use the smart action then?

jms_uk

Oct 5, 2007
Guildford
On mine data turns off the moment I connect to WiFi and that is the way it is supposed to work. Do you see a H, E, or whatever data icon next to the bars when you connect to WiFi? If not, it means data is already off. Why use the smart action then?

IIRC, although a WiFi data connection superceeds a cellular data connection when it is active, the 3G/4G radio is still alive even if it isn't involved in data transfers during that time..

I've certainly noticed improved battery life when on WiFi but explicitly turning the 3G/4G (mobile data) radio off. :)

pdefazio

Sep 17, 2010
IIRC, although a WiFi data connection superceeds a cellular data connection when it is active, the 3G/4G radio is still alive even if it isn't involved in data transfers during that time..

I've certainly noticed improved battery life when on WiFi but explicitly turning the 3G/4G (mobile data) radio off. :)

+1

Sent from my DROID RAZR using xda premium

Szadzik

Apr 29, 2007
Lodz

1. Data radio is one and the same with your cellular calls radio, so unless you go into flight mode, it is going to be active.

2. If it is not sending or receiving data it is not using more energy than when data is disabled and cellular stays enabled.

jms_uk

Oct 5, 2007
Guildford
1. Data radio is one and the same with your cellular calls radio, so unless you go into flight mode, it is going to be active.

2. If it is not sending or receiving data it is not using more energy than when data is disabled and cellular stays enabled.

Interesting you say that, but I've noticed that as far as the what the phone's reporting via settings/toggle widgets etc.. "mobile data" is still active when WiFi is active (even if its status disappears from the notification bar and no actual mobile data activity is going on).. and, it can be explicitly turned off - leaving you still able to receive calls etc. Perhaps its not turning the
radio "off" per-se, but its definitely seems to be doing something over and above just letting WiFi take precidence for data transactions.. :)

I've definitely noticed an improvement in battery life by doing this, over and above simply turning on and connecting to WiFi and NOT explicity turning mobile data off..

I also noticed that in some older versions/flavours of android (2.1, 2.2) the option to explicitly turn off "Mobile Data" wasn't present, relying instead (I assume) on what you've described above..

Last edited:

pdefazio

Sep 17, 2010

I don't believe this is correct. I believe the Wi-Fi chip is independent of the cellular antenna. That is what I have seen in every tear down of the phone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using xda premium

buck i

Feb 12, 2011
Columbus, OH
I thought that it would be better to bring back an old thread rather than start a new one.

I have a smart action as described in this thread that turns off cellular data whenever I am connected to wifi. However, the problem I have is that cellular data does not turn back on whenever I disconnect from wifi. I have to manually go into my settings and enable data. Has anyone else run into this?

IP IHI II IL

Sep 16, 2010
I thought that it would be better to bring back an old thread rather than start a new one.

I have a smart action as described in this thread that turns off cellular data whenever I am connected to wifi. However, the problem I have is that cellular data does not turn back on whenever I disconnect from wifi. I have to manually go into my settings and enable data. Has anyone else run into this?

I sorta have the same(ish) problem. Data can take a little while to activate after I'm disconnected from WiFi. Every once in a while, I need to turn airplane mode on and off in order for data to turn blue. The fact that MMS messages are disabled with this Smart Action is a little disappointing too, but I don't receive enough while I'm home to be super frustrated by it...

\\Carved into this thread by my RAZR//
http://android-gz.com

jms_uk

Oct 5, 2007
Guildford
I think the problem is to do with Smart actions not returning your device back to the exact state it was in before the action was triggered.. Possibly also issues with other smart actions interfering with the state of other parameters..

I wonder why Moto didn't go with an 'exit action' approach used by apps like Tasker?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.