Titanium backup: Apps crash after restore

Search This thread

tabooki

Sep 5, 2009
OnePlus 7T Pro
Migrating to a new phone and discovered an issue with the backups on my old phone. This is tested and happening on both btw.

If I backup and restore a working app it then will force close on opening. Clearing cache and data and still force closes.

I tried uninstalling titanium, deleting titanium folder and reinstalling.
Same issue after a backup and restore of an application.

Running Oneplus 6 and Oneplus 7 pro
Unlocked and unrooted with magisk
Titanium at latest version from market.

logcat
https://pastebin.com/6R8Wv12D

Thanks for any help available

swiftbones74

Mar 13, 2017
Taos New Mexico
Migrating to a new phone and discovered an issue with the backups on my old phone. This is tested and happening on both btw.

If I backup and restore a working app it then will force close on opening. Clearing cache and data and still force closes.

logcat

App restore with titanium doesn't work for switching to a new phone, only restoring to the same phone and same os. When it does work the apps tend to be super glitchy. I'll drop a link to the xda thread where you can get more info/ help. Good luck.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2717159

Sent from my GM1917 using XDA Labs

Reactions: galaxys

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
App restore with titanium doesn't work for switching to a new phone, only restoring to the same phone and same os.

Agreed. I've only migrated app data to a new phone using TB import/export (.TiBkp) feature. AFAIK, you can only do that one app at a time. So I've only done it with a few apps that I really wanted to save the user data.

More folks on this forum are recommending Swift Backup these days. It seems more reliable for this phone. I've use TB for years, but now I've just started trying out Swift Backup.

Reactions: swiftbones74

JohnC

May 5, 2007
Amazon Fire TV
Google Pixel 4a
It appears TB is not compatible with the newer "split apks" format for newer apps in the appstore.

Basically TB will only backup the "base.apk" for an app when it does a backup. But with split apks, there are other APK files besides base.apk, like one for the app's language (split_config.en.apk) or the cpu type (split_config_arm64_v8a.apk) and the screen resolution (split_config.xxhdpi.apk).

So, since TB does NOT backup these extra apk files, these files will be missing when you do a restore with TB and thus the restored app will crash when you try to run it.

Luckily there is a new open-source backup app that works well with Slit-apks on Android 8+:

And I think it's better then Swift backup because:
1) Swift backup requires your google account login
2) Swift backup throws errors if you block internet access to it for security reasons
3) Swift backup is not open-source, so it could go the way of TB in the future.
4) And OandBackupX is FREE

Last edited:
Reactions: hammered58
D

Deleted member 7147904

It appears TB is not compatible with the newer "split apks" format for newer apps in the appstore.

Basically TB will only backup the "base.apk" for an app when it does a backup. But with split apks, there are other APK files besides base.apk, like one for the app's language (split_config.en.apk) or the cpu type (split_config_arm64_v8a.apk) and the screen resolution (split_config.xxhdpi.apk).

So, since TB does NOT backup these extra apk files, these files will be missing when you do a restore with TB and thus the restored app will crash when you try to run it.

Luckily there is a new open-source backup app that works well with Slit-apks on Android 8+:

2) Swift backup throws errors if you block internet access to it for security reasons
So I tried this app and maybe you can help me out and tell me why after trying a restore I ended up with all of these errors , any advice or hints would be great,,,also prior to attempted install I was rooted and about 40 plus apps installed fine,
Swift does not give me these errors
Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220123-081336_OAndBackupX.png
    Screenshot_20220123-081336_OAndBackupX.png
    632.6 KB · Views: 9

JohnC

May 5, 2007
Amazon Fire TV
Google Pixel 4a
So I tried this app and maybe you can help me out and tell me why after trying a restore I ended up with all of these errors , any advice or hints would be great,,,also prior to attempted install I was rooted and about 40 plus apps installed fine,
Swift does not give me these errors
Thanks
Those errors seem like there is a problem with xandbackupx not being able to gain root access.

When you first started OABX, it has a bunch of cards where each card requires a different permission on your device - did you go through each card/step and give all those permissions, including root?

Are you using android 8+?

D

Deleted member 7147904

Those errors seem like there is a problem with xandbackupx not being able to gain root access.

When you first started OABX, it has a bunch of cards where each card requires a different permission on your device - did you go through each card/step and give all those permissions, including root?

Thanks for the reply,,, yes I checked all and granted all permissions, Iam on a11 firmware running a a12 rom Bliss, ,, I will mess with it some more with it , it looks really robust with alot of options so maybe one of the settings need to be ticked or maybe it's just this rom, it's not a big deal as I have the other one to fall back on until I do some more testing

Reactions: JohnC

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

logcat

App restore with titanium doesn't work for switching to a new phone, only restoring to the same phone and same os. When it does work the apps tend to be super glitchy. I'll drop a link to the xda thread where you can get more info/ help. Good luck.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2717159

Sent from my GM1917 using XDA Labs
    App restore with titanium doesn't work for switching to a new phone, only restoring to the same phone and same os.

Agreed. I've only migrated app data to a new phone using TB import/export (.TiBkp) feature. AFAIK, you can only do that one app at a time. So I've only done it with a few apps that I really wanted to save the user data.

More folks on this forum are recommending Swift Backup these days. It seems more reliable for this phone. I've use TB for years, but now I've just started trying out Swift Backup.

D
    Deleted member 7147904

Thanks for the reply,,, yes I checked all and granted all permissions, Iam on a11 firmware running a a12 rom Bliss, ,, I will mess with it some more with it , it looks really robust with alot of options so maybe one of the settings need to be ticked or maybe it's just this rom, it's not a big deal as I have the other one to fall back on until I do some more testing