TiVo Stream 4K

Search This thread
D

Deleted member 11959327

Today a force doesn't work. Maybe someone who can force an update will start up logcat first in order to grab the ota url?

D

Deleted member 11959327

Thanks. Got it installed. Although it wasn't exactly a straightforward process. After it was up and running, I expected to see the small (~70MB) follow-up update to appear right away but it hasn't yet. I guess that I don't mind running the debug version for a while. Thanks again.

Kate6

Mar 25, 2009
Vancouver, WA

I would also love some tips as to how to install this. My Developer Options menu doesn't have the OEM Unlock option and fastboot doesn't seem to wanna unlock the bootloader without it. Does that mean I'm screwed unless TiVo actually officially pushes this update to my specific device at some point?

I'm mostly hoping this update might fix some of the issues I've been having getting the Stream 4K to pair with Bluetooth devices...

D

Deleted member 11959327

I'm mostly hoping this update might fix some of the issues I've been having getting the Stream 4K to pair with Bluetooth devices...

Have you tried the app "Bluetooth Scanner - Bluetooth finder - pairing" (com.pzolee.bluetoothscanner) as mentioned here.

I could describe a process to install the 4515 android 10 update, but if your device hasn't been offered the 4515 update, it also won't be offered the subsequent update that converts the userdebug build to a user build.

Some apps won't run on a userdebug build. I don't have the subsequent update that converts the android 10 4515 userdebug build to a user build.

So there is a good chance that you'd want to go back to android 9 if updating to 10 means that you won't be able to run some apps.

Kate6

Mar 25, 2009
Vancouver, WA
Have you tried the app "Bluetooth Scanner - Bluetooth finder - pairing" (com.pzolee.bluetoothscanner) as mentioned here.

I could describe a process to install the 4515 android 10 update, but if your device hasn't been offered the 4515 update, it also won't be offered the subsequent update that converts the userdebug build to a user build.

Some apps won't run on a userdebug build. I don't have the subsequent update that converts the android 10 4515 userdebug build to a user build.

So there is a good chance that you'd want to go back to android 9 if updating to 10 means that you won't be able to run some apps.

I basically run Kodi on this thing. On rare occasions Kanopy or Hoopla. I think one time I fell asleep to Pluto's "Star Trek: The Next Generation" channel. Really as long as Kodi works I'm not going to complain too much. Or really, to be more honest, if Kodi still works *and* I'm able to fix this thing's Bluetooth issues, I might actually start keeping it attached to my TV instead of the Raspberry Pi 3 I currently use as my media viewer... Otherwise it'll remain a largely nonstarter curiosity I got for $15 on clearance on Walmart.

I'd really like it if I could pair a Bluetooth keyboard to it, which thus far I haven't been able to do. Pairing Bluetooth headphones has been possible inconsistent and painful.

Here's my attempt with your Pzolee Bluetooth Scanner app... It does detect my keyboard when it's in pairing mode, then it briefly goes into a screen that looks like part of the Steam 4K's standard Bluetooth pairing process to ask me to confirm I want to pair with the keyboard... Then it comes back into the Scanner app and puts up this "Pairing failed!" Toast...

suggested.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 11959327

It does detect my keyboard when it's in pairing mode, then it briefly goes into a screen that looks like part of the Steam 4K's standard Bluetooth pairing process to ask me to confirm I want to pair with the keyboard... Then it comes back into the Scanner app and puts up this "Pairing failed!" Toast...

What sometimes works when the above happens is to re-initiate pairing mode on the device (the keyboard in your case) during each step. Start pairing mode once to get it detected, then re-start pairing mode from the beginning again when the screen transitions, then maybe even again while it is attempting communications. It might take some trial and error to get it paired successfully. If this sort of process will even work, of course.

I basically run Kodi on this thing. On rare occasions Kanopy or Hoopla. I think one time I fell asleep to Pluto's "Star Trek: The Next Generation" channel. Really as long as Kodi works I'm not going to complain too much.

All of those apps will run fine on the userdebug version. Apps that won't run are those that have a keymaster certificate, or verify attestation, or check for root, like netflix and peacock and some other major apps. The only free app that I know of that verifies attestation is tubi.

I will send you a private note with instructions. I don't want to be responsible for anyone bricking their device, even if they got it for five american dollars at the wall store.

My guess is that bluetooth functionality will be the same, but there is only one way to find out for sure.

Kate6

Mar 25, 2009
Vancouver, WA
I will send you a private note with instructions. I don't want to be responsible for anyone bricking their device, even if they got it for five american dollars at the wall store.

My guess is that bluetooth functionality will be the same, but there is only one way to find out for sure.

That would be most appreciated!

jahrule

Apr 3, 2012
Here is something that can be done:

if (!showEnableOemUnlockPreference()) {

removePreference(this.mEnableOemUnlock);

this.mEnableOemUnlock = null;
That needs to he removed from tvsettings.apk
doing that is the easy part.. but installing the custom apk is the hard part.
need bootloader unlocked so we make changes to system.

the above is decompiled from the userdebug build.

also:

private static boolean showEnableOemUnlockPreference() {
return !SystemProperties.get("ro.frp.pst").equals("");
}

private boolean isOemUnlockAllowed() {
return !this.mUm.hasUserRestriction("no_oem_unlock");
}

pretty much: ro.frp.pst = 1 or true should turn on OEM unlock in developer options.

BTW: user restrictions only means, you must be logged into box with correct username and all..
bypassing settings and logging on as guest or whatever will not show any developer options..
that is what it means about user restrictions..
Pushing the edited apk shouldn't be a problem or better yet we can include it into the system.img

ooftymcgoofty

Nov 2, 2017
@tokoam The tools etc are found here https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/18PWax4UPUBAdgAz1R9KnmCNFlt6a3fjA?usp=sharing where @ben1226 linked.

basically don't update it when you first get it. In a few days I will have more as m currently working on something for it.

If you are inpatient and have some know how then: flash the update I provided above, but NOT the bootloader from there (the updated bootloader enables oem lock and so far have not found a way to expose the option in dev options). Then chmod the `su` binary located in /xbin/ and you should have root and be good to go.
By flashing the debug rom and then yours from post 13 would I be able to get rid of the google ads on the home screen? Would you be able to tell me how to flash your rom without the bootloader? Thank you!

ooftymcgoofty

Nov 2, 2017
Can some one post instruction please how to update tivo 4 k firmware using zip file ?

Do we need to connect to pc using OTG and usb cable ? My PC does not recognize Tivo 4k even after I boot to recovery mode using OTG and USB A-A cable.

On other android devices it is as simple as :

#Enable USB debuging on android device

adb reboot recovery

#now PC should see android device

adb sideload ota.zip

Thanks
Hi, I do not need to use otg with mine. Maybe try without and if that doesn't work try a different cable?
As for the flashing process, I am hoping to see a reply with guidance as well. Good luck!

ghettiguru

Jul 23, 2009
Tennessee, USA
I had a similar problem, the only way I was able to flash the device in USB burning mode was to make sure you have a better USBA to micro USB cord laying around. The one that comes with the tevo to power it doesn't support data transfer so it wouldn't show up. Once you know you have a good cable you must be a to micro USB for the power cord port, unplug it from the tivo but leave the USBA plugged into your computer not the wall, as you will be using the power port to flash. After a couple of hours and a few cords, The best way is to start holding the small reset button on the side of the Tivo box, then plugin the micro USB cord that's plugged into your laptop not the wall charger, then while holding the reset button plug in the micro USB and keep holding button till first it will show device is in fastboot mode, keep holding reset button and it will finally kick into USB burning mode. And if you had the USB burning tool w the debug firmware loaded already MAKING SURE TO UNCHECK BOTH erase buttons in the tool, loading password bin in the settings under input password or something, since you had the tool set to start it should start flashing as soon as it boots to USB burn mode with a good micro USB cable. Good luck and don't brick devices ppl lol

ghettiguru

Jul 23, 2009
Tennessee, USA
What sometimes works when the above happens is to re-initiate pairing mode on the device (the keyboard in your case) during each step. Start pairing mode once to get it detected, then re-start pairing mode from the beginning again when the screen transitions, then maybe even again while it is attempting communications. It might take some trial and error to get it paired successfully. If this sort of process will even work, of course.

All of those apps will run fine on the userdebug version. Apps that won't run are those that have a keymaster certificate, or verify attestation, or check for root, like netflix and peacock and some other major apps. The only free app that I know of that verifies attestation is tubi.

How do we keep debug firmware tho? I flashed to the 2225 debug build in his Google drive using USB burn tool but am force updated to firmware 5614 and required to activate on TiVo and immediately loose the debug build I need for root. And no OEM Unlock option. Is there a more recent debug firm I need root and can try building a Frankenstein img using android kitchen app but there seems to be a step I'm missing as I'm forced back to retail

ooftymcgoofty

Nov 2, 2017
Wondering if anyone knows how to prevent the tivo from updating-through adb or otherwise. There are some workarounds on firestick blocking updates with adguard, but I can't identify which apps on the tivo are responsible for updates. I have a new one that wants to update to 5614, which is fine, but I just want to prevent it from going any further in the future. Thanks.

vettejock99

Feb 25, 2006
Austin, TX and Orange County, CA
I had a similar problem, the only way I was able to flash the device in USB burning mode was to make sure you have a better USBA to micro USB cord laying around. The one that comes with the tevo to power it doesn't support data transfer so it wouldn't show up. Once you know you have a good cable you must be a to micro USB for the power cord port, unplug it from the tivo but leave the USBA plugged into your computer not the wall, as you will be using the power port to flash. After a couple of hours and a few cords, The best way is to start holding the small reset button on the side of the Tivo box, then plugin the micro USB cord that's plugged into your laptop not the wall charger, then while holding the reset button plug in the micro USB and keep holding button till first it will show device is in fastboot mode, keep holding reset button and it will finally kick into USB burning mode. And if you had the USB burning tool w the debug firmware loaded already MAKING SURE TO UNCHECK BOTH erase buttons in the tool, loading password bin in the settings under input password or something, since you had the tool set to start it should start flashing as soon as it boots to USB burn mode with a good micro USB cable. Good luck and don't brick devices ppl lol

I understand how to adb sideload things, do remote adb connect flash stuff, etc., but I don't understand which specific tool and process you're referencing for this device. Do you have a guide or links you could share? That would be awesome!

EDIT - Okay, I'm starting to connect some of the dots. The flash tool must be the Amlogic app from the Drive link.

EDIT 2 - Yeah, that tool wants an .img file to flash. The 4515 zip file has the various partition .img files not the entire group in a single flashable image. Looks like I need to search for a guide that has the full list of commands to flash the various files.

Search goes on....

Last edited:

ghettiguru

Jul 23, 2009
Tennessee, USA
You are correct you use the USB burn tool you just have to load the image and the burn tool from the zip in his drive, this device is different than phones and stuff I have been unable to find a boot.img ECT even after flashing. My problem now is STAYING on debug firmware as it updates me off to 5624 as I have to wipe data to flash and am forced to update and reactiva

vettejock99

Feb 25, 2006
Austin, TX and Orange County, CA
Right the bootloader lock happens only when you flash a system.IMG which is not a user debug version. The su binary is in the debug system img. I think if we can expose the allow OEM unlock option in Dev settings then we would be good to ho. My device bricked in gx-chip mode that apparently uses a different password then the one provided by Ben so im stuck there for now

@jahrule Looks like I'm stuck as are others. I have several Stream 4Ks so it wouldn't be the end of the world if I bricked one but just trying to understand the steps. All are de-Tivo'd but none are running the debug firmwre - they're running the latest public v9.0-5.4.1 with PI.5614 release-keys. I can't tell if I can/should flash the debug firmware, and how in any case I'd then be able to use the zip file you provided previously, or the 4515 zip file to upgrade.

Any chance you could hammer out a short X-step how-to?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    there is a debug version of the firmware

adb shell reboot fastboot
    fastboot flashing unlock
    fastboot flashing unlock_critical
    fastboot reboot
    adb disable-verity
    adb reboot
    adb root
    adb remount

relook command is

fastboot flashing lock_critical
    fastboot flashing lock
    fastboot reboot
    Has anyone been able to remove the TiVo Suggestions Channel from the Android TV home screen?
    Might be a year late and I'm sure everyone knows this already but.

If you go to apps system apps then disable the app I circled in this picture then restart your system it will let you freely customize everything on the homescreen. (Besides play next but that can be disabled)
    20210724_140716.jpg
    D
    Deleted member 11959327
    Thanks. Got it installed. Although it wasn't exactly a straightforward process. After it was up and running, I expected to see the small (~70MB) follow-up update to appear right away but it hasn't yet. I guess that I don't mind running the debug version for a while. Thanks again.
    How did you install it?
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/pNcD361dJLsxTxMK9

I went through the original setup and configured it as it expected me to. Then I uninstalled most of the apps it comes bloated with. The ones I couldn't uninstall, I disabled at least visually. Then I installed Wolf Launcher and modified it to my liking. I then moddifed the remote to make the tivo button to open tivimate with a single click and vod apk with double click. I also made the Guide single click to open app history and double to open "Power off, Restart and Screenshot". Sometimes pressing tivo button would bring up the tivo guide and tivimate, so I disabled the tivo app, sling and most other crap entirely I didn't want running in the given app settings.

The only button I could not override was the Netflix button. You cannot uninstall Netflix either, but I believe you can disable it. My device runs incredibly smooth now and my display stays off when I use the power options above. Playback of vod does flicker sometimes, but I feel sure that will get resolved with a future update.