TiVo Stream 4K

Search This thread

jmanley69

Feb 21, 2009
Has anyone had much experience with the TiVo Stream 4K yet? I have 2 questions really. I would like to accomplish both without rooting the device.

1) Is there a way to skip the initial TiVo activation? I've tried powering off the device once it gets to that screen, but it starts right back up to the activation. I've tried hitting home, back, skip, everything I can think of, but it won't let me move on until the device is activated on a TiVo account. I want to help a buddy out by setting up his device for him, but I don't want the device to be locked to my TiVo account. I may be able to clear data on the TiVo app and remove it from my TiVo account manually (I haven't tried that yet), but I'd like to just skip the whole TiVo activation and let my friend do it all himself (set preferences, services to monitor, etc).

2) Has anyone been able to remove the TiVo Suggestions Channel from the Android TV home screen? When you go into the Channel Customization, you can deselect all channels but the TiVo Suggestions Channel. I can't even get it to move down the list (all other channels you can go left on the channel and move or remove, but that option isn't available for the TiVo suggestions Channel). I've tried clearing data on the TiVo apps. I've even tried disabling the TiVo and Sling apps, but the channel remains (and if you click it when the apps are disabled, it just errors out loading the app).

The important thing with both of those is it must be done without Root. I want Google Play to remain genuine so Netflix and other streaming apps work properly.

siralsmooth

Jan 18, 2012
Chicago, IL
From what I can tell, No and No unfortunately. If you disable the Tivo app as well, the block in the launcher remains and won't go away. If you click it, its magically working again and not disabled. I'm fairly certain they modified the launcher and worked the Tivo stuff is permanent as for the price. The hardware is made by another company, same one that makes their AirTV2 tuner for sling. So I would just setup the tivo stuff under your tivo email. If your friend isn't going to use Tivo services in any way, it won't be an issue for you.

USAMac

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
https://photos.app.goo.gl/pNcD361dJLsxTxMK9

I went through the original setup and configured it as it expected me to. Then I uninstalled most of the apps it comes bloated with. The ones I couldn't uninstall, I disabled at least visually. Then I installed Wolf Launcher and modified it to my liking. I then moddifed the remote to make the tivo button to open tivimate with a single click and vod apk with double click. I also made the Guide single click to open app history and double to open "Power off, Restart and Screenshot". Sometimes pressing tivo button would bring up the tivo guide and tivimate, so I disabled the tivo app, sling and most other crap entirely I didn't want running in the given app settings.

The only button I could not override was the Netflix button. You cannot uninstall Netflix either, but I believe you can disable it. My device runs incredibly smooth now and my display stays off when I use the power options above. Playback of vod does flicker sometimes, but I feel sure that will get resolved with a future update.

Reactions: jfishbone311

siralsmooth

Jan 18, 2012
Chicago, IL

I went through the original setup and configured it as it expected me to. Then I uninstalled most of the apps it comes bloated with. The ones I couldn't uninstall, I disabled at least visually. Then I installed Wolf Launcher and modified it to my liking. I then moddifed the remote to make the tivo button to open tivimate with a single click and vod apk with double click. I also made the Guide single click to open app history and double to open "Power off, Restart and Screenshot". Sometimes pressing tivo button would bring up the tivo guide and tivimate, so I disabled the tivo app, sling and most other crap entirely I didn't want running in the given app settings.

The only button I could not override was the Netflix button. You cannot uninstall Netflix either, but I believe you can disable it. My device runs incredibly smooth now and my display stays off when I use the power options above. Playback of vod does flicker sometimes, but I feel sure that will get resolved with a future update.
Which button remapper app did you use? Might want to do something similar.

Also, not sure if it's just the hub I bought, but the Aukey USB type c 4 port hub doesn't work on the stream, but it does on my Huawei. Strangely a generic type c otg with a USB Ethernet adapter works fine.

USAMac

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia

Also, not sure if it's just the hub I bought, but the Aukey USB type c 4 port hub doesn't work on the stream, but it does on my Huawei. Strangely a generic type c otg with a USB Ethernet adapter works fine.

Yea I've had issues with ethernet connection as well. I believe there will be an update soon to resolve alot of the issues. My anker and amazon after ethernet adapters don't work, but I've read ugreen works but some say its unstable.

Anyhow, I used ButtonMapper

USAMac

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia

Hey sorry for the delay! I used ButtonMapper.. and yea, there are alot of externals not working.. hopefully, the pending update will resolve these issues as well!

ryanl2299

Oct 25, 2013
Is there a way to install the Tivo app on this thing? Kind of ironic it doesn't come with it.

chinkster

May 31, 2010
Google Pixel 6
there is a debug version of the firmware

adb shell reboot fastboot
fastboot flashing unlock
fastboot flashing unlock_critical
fastboot reboot
adb disable-verity
adb reboot
adb root
adb remount

relook command is

fastboot flashing lock_critical
fastboot flashing lock
fastboot reboot

what is the point of debug version of the firmware? sorry just asking to clarify

Has anyone been able to remove the TiVo Suggestions Channel from the Android TV home screen?
Might be a year late and I'm sure everyone knows this already but.

If you go to apps system apps then disable the app I circled in this picture then restart your system it will let you freely customize everything on the homescreen. (Besides play next but that can be disabled)
20210724_140716.jpg

jahrule

Apr 3, 2012

fastboot flashing unlock
fastboot reboot
adb disable-verity
adb reboot
adb root
adb remount

relook command is

fastboot flashing lock
fastboot reboot
So, it is important not to have the erase button checked. I mistakenly had it checked and now the device is stuck in USB download mode showing GX-CHIP (instead of worldcup) that is password protected and the password.bin provided does not seem to unlock it. Any guidance would be helpful.

For others, I have successfully downloaded the ota and have flashable images for anyone interested. If you haven't updated you can flash from fastboot, if you haven't then follow what @ben1226 has in TiVo gdrive remember to uncheck erase and then you should be able to unlock flashing from fastboot. The Rom already has a su binary (in /xbin) which can be enabled (permissions are set off by default) for those interested if one wants root.

EDIT: Attached the unmodified OTA update.
ota-type=BLOCK
post-build=eSTREAM4K/SEI400TV/SEI400TV:9/PI/5614:user/release-keys
post-build-incremental=5614
post-sdk-level=28
post-security-patch-level=2021-04-05
post-timestamp=1622542764
pre-device=SEI400TV

Attachments

• 72c23e65723ac1c6c085040a2d7973dd417658c3.zip
    776.5 MB · Views: 748
Last edited:

tokoam

Jun 24, 2007
Plantation
So, it is important not to have the erase button checked. I mistakenly had it checked and now the device is stuck in USB download mode showing GX-CHIP (instead of worldcup) that is password protected and the password.bin provided does not seem to unlock it. Any guidance would be helpful.

For others, I have successfully downloaded the ota and have flashable images for anyone interested. If you haven't updated you can flash from fastboot, if you haven't then follow what @ben1226 has in TiVo gdrive remember to uncheck erase and then you should be able to unlock flashing from fastboot. The Rom already has a su binary (in /xbin) which can be enabled (permissions are set off by default) for those interested if one wants root.

ota-type=BLOCK
post-build=eSTREAM4K/SEI400TV/SEI400TV:9/PI/5614:user/release-keys
post-build-incremental=5614
post-sdk-level=28
post-security-patch-level=2021-04-05
post-timestamp=1622542764
pre-device=SEI400TV
Is there a guide to do this the links you gave me dont show anything . I'm about to buy one and attempt this but I need instructions I mainly want root .

Last edited:

jahrule

Apr 3, 2012
@tokoam The tools etc are found here https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/18PWax4UPUBAdgAz1R9KnmCNFlt6a3fjA?usp=sharing where @ben1226 linked.

basically don't update it when you first get it. In a few days I will have more as m currently working on something for it.

If you are inpatient and have some know how then: flash the update I provided above, but NOT the bootloader from there (the updated bootloader enables oem lock and so far have not found a way to expose the option in dev options). Then chmod the `su` binary located in /xbin/ and you should have root and be good to go.

D

Deleted member 11959327

flash the update I provided above ... Then chmod the `su` binary located in /xbin/ and you should have root and be good to go

I installed the update that you attached above (in post #13) but there is not any su binary located in /xbin/, or anywhere else.

This seems to make sense, because you say in post #13:

But I'm not sure why you suggested that the 'su' binary would be there, if the update attached to post #13 was installed.

flash the update I provided above, but NOT the bootloader from there (the updated bootloader enables oem lock and so far have not found a way to expose the option in dev options)

I didn't flash the bootloader from the update (in post #13), but still the bootloader was locked after I installed the rest of the update. Even if I didn't update bootloader.img or boot.img, the bootloader still gets locked when installing the rest of the update attached to post #13. So, the update is locking the bootloader by other means, probably via system.

I could unlock the bootloader again only by re-flashing the userdebug verson via usb burning mode. But then, of course, I no longer have 5614.

Last edited by a moderator:

jahrule

Apr 3, 2012
Right the bootloader lock happens only when you flash a system.IMG which is not a user debug version. The su binary is in the debug system img. I think if we can expose the allow OEM unlock option in Dev settings then we would be good to ho. My device bricked in gx-chip mode that apparently uses a different password then the one provided by Ben so im stuck there for now

Eliminater74

Recognized Developer
I installed the update that you attached above (in post #13) but there is not any su binary located in /xbin/, or anywhere else.

This seems to make sense, because you say in post #13:

But I'm not sure why you suggested that the 'su' binary would be there, if the update attached to post #13 was installed.

I didn't flash the bootloader from the update (in post #13), but still the bootloader was locked after I installed the rest of the update. Even if I didn't update bootloader.img or boot.img, the bootloader still gets locked when installing the rest of the update attached to post #13. So, the update is locking the bootloader by other means, probably via system.

I could unlock the bootloader again only by re-flashing the userdebug verson via usb burning mode. But then, of course, I no longer have 5614.

Right the bootloader lock happens only when you flash a system.IMG which is not a user debug version. The su binary is in the debug system img. I think if we can expose the allow OEM unlock option in Dev settings then we would be good to ho. My device bricked in gx-chip mode that apparently uses a different password then the one provided by Ben so im stuck there for now

Here is something that can be done:

if (!showEnableOemUnlockPreference()) {

removePreference(this.mEnableOemUnlock);

this.mEnableOemUnlock = null;
That needs to he removed from tvsettings.apk
doing that is the easy part.. but installing the custom apk is the hard part.
need bootloader unlocked so we make changes to system.

the above is decompiled from the userdebug build.

also:

private static boolean showEnableOemUnlockPreference() {
return !SystemProperties.get("ro.frp.pst").equals("");
}

private boolean isOemUnlockAllowed() {
return !this.mUm.hasUserRestriction("no_oem_unlock");
}

pretty much: ro.frp.pst = 1 or true should turn on OEM unlock in developer options.

BTW: user restrictions only means, you must be logged into box with correct username and all..
bypassing settings and logging on as guest or whatever will not show any developer options..
that is what it means about user restrictions..

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 11959327

The circuit board used in the tivo stream 4k has a place for a micro sd card socket. I'm going to install a socket and check if it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 11959327

I read on reddit this morning that the android 10 update started on 3/17. No sign of it on my hardware yet.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

fastboot flashing unlock
    fastboot reboot
    adb disable-verity
    adb reboot
    adb root
    adb remount

relook command is

fastboot flashing lock
    fastboot reboot
    Has anyone been able to remove the TiVo Suggestions Channel from the Android TV home screen?
    Might be a year late and I'm sure everyone knows this already but.

If you go to apps system apps then disable the app I circled in this picture then restart your system it will let you freely customize everything on the homescreen. (Besides play next but that can be disabled)
    20210724_140716.jpg
    D
    Deleted member 11959327
    Thanks. Got it installed. Although it wasn't exactly a straightforward process. After it was up and running, I expected to see the small (~70MB) follow-up update to appear right away but it hasn't yet. I guess that I don't mind running the debug version for a while. Thanks again.
    Thanks. Got it installed. Although it wasn't exactly a straightforward process. After it was up and running, I expected to see the small (~70MB) follow-up update to appear right away but it hasn't yet. I guess that I don't mind running the debug version for a while. Thanks again.
    How did you install it?