TMobile GPad F 8.0 (V496) Info

dlaciv12

Apr 25, 2010
Brockton, MA
Hello group! I'm new to the G Pad and am struggling. We got it for my son who like to make videos of himself playing Minecraft, etc. (He wants to be the next Diamond Minecart.) For a while we were rooted and using kernel auditor and had no problem doing screen recordings. He ended up downloading way to many apps and had less than 1/2 GB of storage left and the thing got unstable. I backed up everything and did a factory reset. We have only the bare minimum restored, root and kernel auditor again and we have over 4GB of storage free. But now the screen recording app closes in the background while he's playing what ever game he's recording. Can any suggest the best way to maximize the pitifully small 1GB or RAM on this so we can get back to recording without tears?

If you want to see an 8 year old play games go here: https://goo.gl/OdQngR

Last edited:

nicknc

Dec 10, 2009
Hello group! I'm new to the G Pad and am struggling. We got it for my son who like to make videos of himself playing Minecraft, etc. (He wants to be the next Diamond Minecart.) For a while we were rooted and using kernel auditor and had no problem doing screen recordings. He ended up downloading way to many apps and had less than 1/2 GB of storage left and the thing got unstable. I backed up everything and did a factory reset. We have only the bare minimum restored, root and kernel auditor again and we have over 4GB of storage free. But now the screen recording app closes in the background while he's playing what ever game he's recording. Can any suggest the best way to maximize the pitifully small 1GB or RAM on this so we can get back to recording without tears?

If you want to see an 8 year old play games go here: https://goo.gl/OdQngR
Adjust the lmk (low memory killer) settings in kernel aduitor to kill apps at a lower memory level.

nicknc

Dec 10, 2009
That's how I had it set up before the reset but now it doesn't seem to be enough. Can I do something with the VRAM? Allow it to use more swap space?
Disable vram altogether. Also clear your recents regularly, install xposed with the colorfade fix module.

Hacktacular

Jul 1, 2010
Lollipop xposed flashable zip and apk are here:

forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=3034811

Once installed, just search "colorfade" in the xposed app and you'll find the module.
Thanks, I'm on it! Got it installed and running. Seems a bit snapier

Sent from my LG-V496 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cjohnsonthe2nd

Jan 13, 2012
Chicago
Warning for those with AT&T V495 that want custom Recovery. Once rooted you can install flashify and the instructions for V496 custom recovery install all work without errors but once you install TWRP and reboot into it you will get a recovery error. Locked Bootloader?
I Have the V495 and was just about to flash TWRP before reading this. So to clarify if I used the TWRP built for the V496 my AT&T variant won't boot? TIA

Bryan858

Jul 10, 2007
I Have the V495 and was just about to flash TWRP before reading this. So to clarify if I used the TWRP built for the V496 my AT&T variant won't boot? TIA
Yup... You will no longer be able to access recovery using TWRP for V496.. I have stopped using the v495 as I'm afraid to brick it since I no longer have a working recovery.
Can you do me a favor and make a backup of your stock V495 Recovery using Flashify and send it to me?

I need to flash the original recovery with Flashify and see if I can get it going again.

cjohnsonthe2nd

Jan 13, 2012
Chicago
Yup... You will no longer be able to access recovery using TWRP for V496.. I have stopped using the v495 as I'm afraid to brick it since I no longer have a working recovery.
Can you do me a favor and make a backup of your stock V495 Recovery using Flashify and send it to me?

I need to flash the original recovery with Flashify and see if I can get it going again.
Sorry man looks like I have a botched recovery as well. Picked this up off craigslist last night for $50, now I know why so cheap he screwed the recovery. Stock it is.

Rubyshade

Feb 7, 2016
Hey folks! Been following this thread in the hopes of putting CyanogenMod on this puppy. I flashed @xWolf13's V496ified version of the V410 CM zip (from post #107 and got this. imgur.com /6zdGaPT Sorry for the screwy link, my account is new and they won't let me post links.

Can anyone help?

ScoobyDoo83

Jan 15, 2012
Is their a way to get a dialer / phone app on this tablet which I can use to make calls using service provider (example: t-mobile / at&t) minutes. Basically use this as a phone as well.
Honestly my goal is to use it outside of US on service providers other than t-mobile / at&t.

Goody68

Oct 28, 2013
Portland , OR
Is their a way to get a dialer / phone app on this tablet which I can use to make calls using service provider (example: t-mobile / at&t) minutes. Basically use this as a phone as well.
Honestly my goal is to use it outside of US on service providers other than t-mobile / at&t.
Download the app "magicjack" ! It will give you a # and you can make call from the tablet;) I use it , works great!

Reactions: KOLIOSIS

logikism

Jan 8, 2012
Boston, MA
how?

Xposed
Xposed installs and runs well. G3TweakBox has the ability to adjust some extra settings.

how?
i downloaded sdk 23, 22, 21. finally 21 installed! when i went into xposed installer app, it wasnt installed nor can the app install it. says its not compatible with my infrastructure.
how-to please?

logikism

Jan 8, 2012
Boston, MA
Wooo. Got this device when I got the LG V10 (yay bundle). Right now, since this is my first device without a built CM, I am in progress of doing so. Learning curve. At the moment, I have changed most things from a similar device (v410) and "v496ify" it over here. Luckily, we have a v4xx kernel (right here) thanks to invisiblek. Since mostly everything is done or built, it is time to move onto the device kernel. Really, it shouldn't be that too difficult. Stay put :) .

Edit: If anyone would consider testing a future test build, don't hesitate to PM me.
im down! please give me CM! how do i install from these links?

Last edited:

danam

May 18, 2010
another phone question

I know I can use my g pad for voip calls (I am using Hangouts), but I was wondering if the t-mobile call function is a hardware or software limitation. I am getting 4g lte service using a sim card I pulled out of one of my tmo phones. I also noted that in the system/priv-apps folder there are several apps such as lgteleservice.apk and others with similar names and the phone handset symbol. Does anyone know if installing any of these would work to open a dialer for tmo calls, or would they screw up the tab?

Debbidebzdebs

Feb 28, 2016
Tried

Tried this method exactly. Super SU installed but Kinguser was a still there. Tablet kept getting a black screen. Reboot and now it's stuck on lg logo.
Eventually got in the factory reset menu and now it's stuck on "Factory reset processing screen"

---------- Post added at 05:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 AM ----------

Tried replacing kinguser with terminal emulator method exactly. Super SU installed but Kinguser was a still there. Tablet kept getting a black screen. Reboot and now it's stuck on lg logo.
Eventually got in the factory reset menu and now it's stuck on "Factory reset processing screen"

oneinwww

Sep 10, 2014
mtskheta, tserovani
hi guys, I need your help, I have sim unlocked TMobile GPad F 8.0 (V496) and I want to use it in europe on gsm carrier but I can't switch it to gsm mode only wcdma and lte modes are available, but as I know it supports gsm as well, so what should I do here, maybe I need to root and install custom room which has an option of gsm mode, but as I see there isn't any custom room available yet. so please if any of you have figured out how to fix that please let me know