TMobile GPad F 8.0 (V496) Info

logikism

Jan 8, 2012
Boston, MA
Tried this method exactly. Super SU installed but Kinguser was a still there. Tablet kept getting a black screen. Reboot and now it's stuck on lg logo.
Eventually got in the factory reset menu and now it's stuck on "Factory reset processing screen"

i used that method and it worked great!
it did take quite a long time to boot up though, (stuck @lg screen). maybe you were a bit impatient?

whats the status of the gpad now?

---------- Post added at 06:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 AM ----------

hi guys, I need your help, I have sim unlocked TMobile GPad F 8.0 (V496) and I want to use it in europe on gsm carrier but I can't switch it to gsm mode only wcdma and lte modes are available, but as I know it supports gsm as well, so what should I do here, maybe I need to root and install custom room which has an option of gsm mode, but as I see there isn't any custom room available yet. so please if any of you have figured out how to fix that please let me know
its should automatically work. are you in Europe now? to test? whats happening? whats not happening?

oneinwww

Sep 10, 2014
mtskheta, tserovani
i used that method and it worked great!
it did take quite a long time to boot up though, (stuck @lg screen). maybe you were a bit impatient?

whats the status of the gpad now?

---------- Post added at 06:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 AM ----------

its should automatically work. are you in Europe now? to test? whats happening? whats not happening?
it doesn't connect to network, it doesn't searches or shows any networks at all when I put gsm sim in it

logikism

Jan 8, 2012
Boston, MA
Doesn't give 4G LTE on AT&T though, only HSPDA+

To Unlock this model, access the Hidden Menu:

1) From Home screen,Touch the “ Contact”
2) Touch the “ Search Contact
3) You can see the “Keyboard” after Touch the “ Search Contact”
4) Touch the “+ “ icon after Dialer 2945#*496#
5) Touch Network Lock, you only have 3 attempts to enter the correct Unlock Code which you can get from any online vendors.
6) Press Unlock

thank @ttn1185 for the how- to

i wish you luck

Last edited:

lazaroot

Jan 7, 2016
I can't seem to find an answer to this question after reviewing the posts in this thread...

v496 T-mobile Gpad F 8.0 ... I'm looiking for a stock rom / flashable zip. I have TWRP installed and functional. Anyone have one that can point me in the right direction ?

Goody68

Oct 28, 2013
Portland , OR
I can't seem to find an answer to this question after reviewing the posts in this thread...

v496 T-mobile Gpad F 8.0 ... I'm looiking for a stock rom / flashable zip. I have TWRP installed and functional. Anyone have one that can point me in the right direction ?
There are no roms as of yet:( A few devs started ASOP, but never finished or got it to boot! I think once MM releases, we might finally see something on our freebie v496 GPad lol... Im rooted with twrp installed also and dying to flash something in it!!!

logikism

Jan 8, 2012
Boston, MA

why do you want a stock rom zip? you already have stock! would a twrp back up suffice?

Chimera420

Mar 21, 2016
Tried this method exactly. Super SU installed but Kinguser was a still there. Tablet kept getting a black screen. Reboot and now it's stuck on lg logo.
Eventually got in the factory reset menu and now it's stuck on "Factory reset processing screen"

---------- Post added at 05:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 AM ----------

Tried replacing kinguser with terminal emulator method exactly. Super SU installed but Kinguser was a still there. Tablet kept getting a black screen. Reboot and now it's stuck on lg logo.
for this you must flash firmware with lg support tool and then you can easily root with mobile go. worked for me. still no boot access though :(

danam

May 18, 2010
I know I can use my g pad for voip calls (I am using Hangouts), but I was wondering if the t-mobile call function is a hardware or software limitation. I am getting 4g lte service using a sim card I pulled out of one of my tmo phones. I also noted that in the system/priv-apps folder there are several apps such as lgteleservice.apk and others with similar names and the phone handset symbol. Does anyone know if installing any of these would work to open a dialer for tmo calls, or would they screw up the tab?
Answering my own question, partly, after several months T-Mobile stopped connecting me to data with the phone sim. I had to get a new data only plan. So, presumably, if we figured out a software hack, they might still block it over lte. I really don't understand why they block phone use of a tablet, which has to use less bandwidth.

nicknc

Dec 10, 2009
Answering my own question, partly, after several months T-Mobile stopped connecting me to data with the phone sim. I had to get a new data only plan. So, presumably, if we figured out a software hack, they might still block it over lte. I really don't understand why they block phone use of a tablet, which has to use less bandwidth.
Because you're not paying for voice or the taxes/fees for voice service. It doesn't matter if the technical ability is there.

Also enabling voice would open up the door to needing to support volte handoffs to GSM and wifi calling for this tablet.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

evilmeeko

Jan 23, 2012
LG-v495 verified (AT&T version)

i Followed the KINGROOT option and verified the ATT V495 root method works successfully. no ROMS available anywhere that i can find, however....

I was talking with some guys on IRC (Freenode #lg-irc) Rashed97 was kind enough to oblige and I managed to get a preliminary build of TWRP.

the V496 is not locked in any way, aside from SIM lock. it booted this recovery with no bump.

Touch is broken for now, will be more in the future. I hope.

TWRP 2.8.7.0 for V496 (Unknown if it will work on V495, try it, let us know. Do it)
It boots, you can access USB. just need someone to help fix the not-having-touch-issue. You can plug in a USB mouse and it works beautifully.

TWRP_2.8.7.0_v496_rashed_WIP.img
I prefer flashing images with DD if I know the path. /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery If you don't know how to use dd and how powerful it is, use Flashify.

I've made backups and been able to restore them. I flashed a Cyanogenmod ZIP I managed to build, but it wouldn't boot. Goes straight to it's borked Fastboot mode. I need someone to build for me, I have no idea what I'm doing. We've got a device tree set up... that's about it. There wont be any more progress contributed from me unless someone wants to pick up where others have left off.

Reactions: oneinwww

danam

May 18, 2010
Because you're not paying for voice or the taxes/fees for voice service. It doesn't matter if the technical ability is there.

Also enabling voice would open up the door to needing to support volte handoffs to GSM and wifi calling for this tablet.
Well, I was paying the taxes and fees and $20 a month for the voice and data plan sim with 10GB data. Now I am paying $20 for 2GB data, although I was told it would be discounted to $10 on my bill because I have multiple lines.
And the device is mechanically capable of doing cell calls and data, so I still don't see why they wouldn't sell me the service.

ezeuba

Sep 15, 2009
Lagos
FYI I just unlocked this tablet. Doesn't give 4G LTE on AT&T though, only HSPDA+

To Unlock this model, access the Hidden Menu:

1) From Home screen,Touch the “ Contact”
2) Touch the “ Search Contact
3) You can see the “Keyboard” after Touch the “ Search Contact”
4) Touch the “+ “ icon after Dialer 2945#*496#
5) Touch Network Lock, you only have 3 attempts to enter the correct Unlock Code which you can get from any online vendors.
6) Press Unlock
I did exactly this but I can't get service. It will search and search yet no service. i tried again to see if i even got the unlock right and it says: 'Your phone is not personalised'. Any help?

bam099

Aug 19, 2004
I was thinking of buying one of these tablets and dropping in a sim from my secondary phone for some Binge on streaming. Is tmobile blocking data to these tablets if you're not on a tablet data plan? I thought with gsm and the sim cards they couldn't really tell what device you're using.

radioraheem

Oct 8, 2010
Adjusting the LMK settings to be more aggressive and incorporating the Colorfade fix via xPosed yielded the best results for me. The processor is fine-- it's the 1gb of RAM that seemed to hinder me the most.
What settings are you using in adiutor for LMK and Virtual Memory? I saw the post in the thread about disabling virtual memory but for the life of me I can't figure out how to do that or find a guide anywhere for it.

The LMK presets in adiutor look like they were setup for devices with much more ram, unless I'm interpreting them incorrectly.

Thanks in advance for any tips!