• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Tmobile Nexus 6 News..

Search This thread

jcsww

If you extract a factory image, the individual .IMG files are inside. You can flash one or all of them to suit what you want. Just don't flash the user data IMG unless you want to wipe your device. If you flash the system image, you should wipe cache before you let it boot for the first time after flashing. You will more than likely have to reroot after flashing.

Reactions: hayzooos

hayzooos

Mar 10, 2011
Illinois
If you extract a factory image, the individual .IMG files are inside. You can flash one or all of them to suit what you want. Just don't flash the user data IMG unless you want to wipe your device. If you flash the system image, you should wipe cache before you let it boot for the first time after flashing. You will more than likely have to reroot after flashing.

That's kind of what I figured, but I didn't know if anyone knew of any flashable zips floating around that would update the files needed, and not have to flash the whole thing, speaking about the system partition.

Re-rooting isn't exactly hard, but just an extra step. Thanks for the response. I might just hold off on flashing anything until 6.0 is officially dropped.

Do you, or anyone else, know if there will have to be carrier-specific images for 6.0+? I've read wifi calling will be baked in to 6.0 and moving forward so I didn't know if we'd go back to having single N6 images instead of different ones for different carriers.

jcsww

I would assume that the M builds will come in carrier specific forms. Regardless, all radios are backwards compatible so you can flash what works best for you. There are some custom ROM's that don't flash the radio and boot loader and are pre-rooted. With M more than likely dropping on the 29th of September. That isn't long to wait.

Apr 5, 2015
Los Angeles
Do you, or anyone else, know if there will have to be carrier-specific images for 6.0+? I've read wifi calling will be baked in to 6.0 and moving forward so I didn't know if we'd go back to having single N6 images instead of different ones for different carriers.
It's quite likely that M will combine all the current carrier-specific tweaks into a single build; it's why it already has WiFi Calling baked into it. Which means, it's quite likely that all Nexus 6 builds from 6.0 on will be one single build. I certainly hope so, because carriers would release them faster, most likely, since it's one universal build and no one's having issues with it, so there's no reason to delay and test, etc, like with carrier-specific tweaks.

In fact, I think that's why the N6 has had all these different builds; they're like the testing ground for every carrier. They pack their own build with the tiniest of tweaks to make the phone perform better on their network-- Verizon's newer radio, T-Mobile's WiFi Calling, etc.

Once all of their tweaks are tried and tested, they'll be hopefully combined into one universal build and move on from there.

hayzooos

Mar 10, 2011
Illinois
It's quite likely that M will combine all the current carrier-specific tweaks into a single build; it's why it already has WiFi Calling baked into it. Which means, it's quite likely that all Nexus 6 builds from 6.0 on will be one single build. I certainly hope so, because carriers would release them faster, most likely, since it's one universal build and no one's having issues with it, so there's no reason to delay and test, etc, like with carrier-specific tweaks.

In fact, I think that's why the N6 has had all these different builds; they're like the testing ground for every carrier. They pack their own build with the tiniest of tweaks to make the phone perform better on their network-- Verizon's newer radio, T-Mobile's WiFi Calling, etc.

Once all of their tweaks are tried and tested, they'll be hopefully combined into one universal build and move on from there.

I think this is what everyone is hoping for and that's what would happen in our ideal world. We'll just have to wait and see if it comes to fruition or not. I've not messed with any of the Dev Previews for M, but there's only a unified build for those, right? Nothing carrier-specific? I thought I read TMob wifi calling works with the M preview which would lead me to believe you're right and 6.0+ will have a single build. Until one carrier comes up with something cool again.

jcsww - I haven't looked into the ROM scene for the N6 yet. I held off for a little while with the N5 and then went to Cataclysm as it started out 98% stock with a few tweaks, which is how I'd prefer it. I just think after too many things get changed, added in, etc etc...things start going wrong. I'd like to keep it stock-ish (Xposed) for as long as possible. I've had my flashaholic days before, and I'd like to keep away from them again if possible.

Smallsmx3

Jul 28, 2010
I think this is what everyone is hoping for and that's what would happen in our ideal world. We'll just have to wait and see if it comes to fruition or not. I've not messed with any of the Dev Previews for M, but there's only a unified build for those, right? Nothing carrier-specific? I thought I read TMob wifi calling works with the M preview which would lead me to believe you're right and 6.0+ will have a single build. Until one carrier comes up with something cool again.

jcsww - I haven't looked into the ROM scene for the N6 yet. I held off for a little while with the N5 and then went to Cataclysm as it started out 98% stock with a few tweaks, which is how I'd prefer it. I just think after too many things get changed, added in, etc etc...things start going wrong. I'd like to keep it stock-ish (Xposed) for as long as possible. I've had my flashaholic days before, and I'd like to keep away from them again if possible.
Xposed is keeping it stockish? Confused

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

painfree

Mar 17, 2015

jcsww.. I currently am rooted via NRT (as other methods seem hard to me) but I purchased my N6 from Amazon and wanted to use the T mobile WiFi calling so I am in a similar boat. Is there a way to flash only the parts pertaining to the WiFi calling or if not can you supply more details on how to use NRT to give me WiFi calling with my T mobile? I tried once already but it failed so I used the TWRP to restore me back. I do not know what exact things need to be loaded into the Open Recovery Script Manager portion of NRT.

Long story short.. I am a bit over my head here and would like some help getting my LMY48I to LYZ28e so I can use the WiFi calling as my home is surrounded by many trees and data calling is far from great.

jcsww

jcsww.. I currently am rooted via NRT (as other methods seem hard to me) but I purchased my N6 from Amazon and wanted to use the T mobile WiFi calling so I am in a similar boat. Is there a way to flash only the parts pertaining to the WiFi calling or if not can you supply more details on how to use NRT to give me WiFi calling with my T mobile? I tried once already but it failed so I used the TWRP to restore me back. I do not know what exact things need to be loaded into the Open Recovery Script Manager portion of NRT.

Long story short.. I am a bit over my head here and would like some help getting my LMY48I to LYZ28e so I can use the WiFi calling as my home is surrounded by many trees and data calling is far from great.

Your best bet would be to flash the factory image of the latest version, which is LYZ28K currently. Once downloaded, extract the image. There are some very good tutorials around here for flashing. I'm guessing that because you only want to partially flash portions, that you don't want to wipe data. If that is the case, then do not flash the userdata.img and only clear cache before the first reboot. If you want to keep TWRP, don't flash recovery.img also. You will need to reroot, if desired, This will give you access to WiFi Calling as long as you have a T-Mobile SIM in your phone. If you swap it for an AT&T SIM, for example, the WiFi Calling option will disappear until the T0Mobile SIM is back in the device.

Reactions: hayzooos

painfree

Mar 17, 2015

jcsww, I honestly do not know what files are to be included.. I will make screen capture images and post them here and perhaps that will help of course these are for the e version of the LYZ28 but I assume there are similar for the K... Now I cannot post them as I am under 10 posts :(

jcsww

jcsww, I honestly do not know what files are to be included.. I will make screen capture images and post them here and perhaps that will help of course these are for the e version of the LYZ28 but I assume there are similar for the K... Now I cannot post them as I am under 10 posts :(

K is the latest version for T-Mobile. If you are going to flash, you might as well flash to the latest build. You basically want to do the Method 2 flash listed here, but you will not flash userdata.img. If you want to keep TWRP, you will not flash recovery.img also. The post there is very lengthy but well worth the read. You will find al of the answers you seek within that thread.

painfree

Mar 17, 2015

What actually comprises a "Post" is it a new topic or simply repeated replies in a single or more than 1 topic?

hayzooos

Mar 10, 2011
Illinois
What actually comprises a "Post" is it a new topic or simply repeated replies in a single or more than 1 topic?

I'd say all of the above. There might be some stipulations on which forums/topics qualify as a 'post' or not as well, but not that I'm aware of.

Whether you reply to someone, like you did previously or I did to you, or you just make a statement in a thread without quoting someone, or start a whole new thread...all of those would constitute as a post.

hayzooos

Mar 10, 2011
Illinois
Anyone in here know how to get rid of that 'System Update' message? With previous phones I know I could manually edit the build.prop and change it that way, but I wasn't sure if that trick still worked. I'd like to hold off on flashing anything until M officially drops, but I got the update yesterday and it's already starting to annoy me.

I did grab the latest factory image from Google though in case this is the only way, I just want to make sure I flash only the right things. Userdata is obviously a no, recovery is a no.

I'm planning on flashing only system and radio, but I'm wondering if I HAVE to flash boot (or anything else, like cache) if I'm flashing system as well.

Since I have root and Xposed installed, I'm going to go ahead and assume the stock T-Mobile OTA update will fail even if I try and update it.

Apr 5, 2015
Los Angeles
Anyone in here know how to get rid of that 'System Update' message? With previous phones I know I could manually edit the build.prop and change it that way, but I wasn't sure if that trick still worked. I'd like to hold off on flashing anything until M officially drops, but I got the update yesterday and it's already starting to annoy me.

I did grab the latest factory image from Google though in case this is the only way, I just want to make sure I flash only the right things. Userdata is obviously a no, recovery is a no.

I'm planning on flashing only system and radio, but I'm wondering if I HAVE to flash boot (or anything else, like cache) if I'm flashing system as well.

Since I have root and Xposed installed, I'm going to go ahead and assume the stock T-Mobile OTA update will fail even if I try and update it.
I've been wondering this myself as well. I'd like to manually update to the latest version, keeping userdata intact as if I've done the OTA, but my phone has the no-force encrypt boot image from WugFresh's Toolkit and for some reason his program still doesn't have the latest K version in it (and, as such, the no-force encrypt boot isn't there either).

From my previous experiences, I know that flashing the stock boot image forces my phone to encrypt; i'd like to avoid this. Could I skip flashing the boot image located in the K update without any issues? Or will something break if I do?

hayzooos

Mar 10, 2011
Illinois
I've been wondering this myself as well. I'd like to manually update to the latest version, keeping userdata intact as if I've done the OTA, but my phone has the no-force encrypt boot image from WugFresh's Toolkit and for some reason his program still doesn't have the latest K version in it (and, as such, the no-force encrypt boot isn't there either).

From my previous experiences, I know that flashing the stock boot image forces my phone to encrypt; i'd like to avoid this. Could I skip flashing the boot image located in the K update without any issues? Or will something break if I do?

I'm not 100%, but there's another thread in General about 'Flashing Stock OTA' where I also posted and the guy in there was talking about only flashing system.img. I think if you only flash that, you should be okay. Might want to check in there and ask the OP (XDA Admin I think) and he should be able to tell you for sure one way or another.

I never messed with encryption since I got my phone, so I'm not familiar with it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Got the OTA link!

Hey guys, I just reverted back to stock and immediately got the OTA to 5.1.1. The file size is ~126MB.

Heres the link: https://android.googleapis.com/pack...Z28E-from-LMY47M-fullradio-fix-superblock.zip
    So it looks as wifi calling should go out to tmobiles nexus 6 by the end of the first quarter.. and volte for the nexus 6 and tmobile is nearly done with testing http://www.tmonews.com/2015/02/wi-fi-calling-coming-to-nexus-6-by-the-end-of-q1/
    This will be a horrible experience with T-Mobile & Sprint - The two networks that make up Google Fi.

My choice is to go 1/2 miles from my home to be able to make or receive calls using the T-Mobil network so I don't drop calls or to have non-stop issues and aggravation using the CellSpot Asus TM-AC1900 router which I received from T-Mobil (replaced once already) and the Galaxy Note 4 which has unresolved issues which Tier 2 support finally told was confirmed by Samsung, no clue as to when there might be a fix.

They would have upgraded me to the Nexus 6 except that WiFi calling isn't working with the Nexus 6 and there was no date for the fix. I was provided with an LG G3 that also did not provide WiFi calling and was returned within 2 weeks.

I require WiFi calling for my phone from my home in Orange County, California 92782 and I'm sure there are many thousands of people that require trouble free calls .

I am not alone in believing that the advertising of WiFi calling is false advertising when it doesn't work reliably.

Google requiring a dysfunctional Nexus 4 to be used on the two networks that provide the worst customer support dooms Google Fi to failure.
    OK, your experience is not that of thousands of others, plus your WiFi calling complaints are about T-Mobile not Project Fi. I've had fairly good customer service from sprint in the past, and while I think T-Mobile has some shipping issues, their customer service has been fairly good to me.

One story a trend does not make.

Edit: I suck at typing.
    You do not know what you are talking about. All calls now use LTE when available. Nexus 6 does VoLTE. VoLTE = calls made OVER LTE....which the Nexus DOES. All my calls have been using LTE. Please do not say things you have no knowledge about.
    Was this a failure to quote the right post or failure to read?

Let me try to explain again just in case.

"All call now use LTE when available."
    Available means 1) Your phone has VoLTE enabled. 2) You are in a LTE market with LTE signal. These we agree on I'm pretty sure.

"Nexus 6 does VoLTE"
    Yes if it is enabled and running 5.1 with one of the new radios sure does. Once again we agree.

"VoLTE = calls made OVER LTE"
    Well that's 3 for 3, correct again sir. Again we agree.

"Please do not say things you have no knowledge about."
    Since nothing I said is different then what you said, either we both know what we are talking about, or neither of us do. And I am fairly certain I know what I'm talking about so......
    New to T-Mobile-was on unlimited with VZW for many years. Ordered the 64gb N6 since they did not have any in stock. Unlocked the bootloader and rooted it the day after I activated it. Don't miss VZW a bit.

VZW has been after my unlimited plan for a year or more. Well, now they have it.....

Coverage is not as good on T-Mo but the unlimited plans are cheaper and I was able to enroll everyone in an unlimited plan and save $70/month. Loving T-mobile...:)