• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question TMobile OP9 bootloader unlock process stuck

Search This thread

FRNK8

Mar 8, 2011
Boston, USA
OnePlus 9
Hello,

I am trying to convert Tmobile OP9 to Global version and I am stuck at a basic step of getting the oem unlock code when trying to unlock the bootloader.

Details:

1. got my network unlocked from mobbdeep couple of weeks back.
2. Under Settings > "Network Unlock" status shows as unlocked
3. Installed the latest SDK as I am following the guide here to get the bootloader unlocked. When I boot in fastmode and run the oem command it stays at "waiting for device" and returns nothing.
Code:
fastboot oem get_unlock_code

When I run this, device list shows empty
Code:
adb devices

- Enabled USB debugging and stay awake options is checked from what I read on few posts
- When I restart the phone normally and then run "adb devices" it shows my phone listed
- Working on windows machine

What am I doing wrong here ?

TIA !!

PS: attached image shows the device state as Locked

Attachments

• OP9.jpg
    OP9.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 29

avid_droid

Aug 24, 2019
Maui,Hawaii
OnePlus 9
Hello,

I am trying to convert Tmobile OP9 to Global version and I am stuck at a basic step of getting the oem unlock code when trying to unlock the bootloader.

Details:

1. got my network unlocked from mobbdeep couple of weeks back.
2. Under Settings > "Network Unlock" status shows as unlocked
3. Installed the latest SDK as I am following the guide here to get the bootloader unlocked. When I boot in fastmode and run the oem command it stays at "waiting for device" and returns nothing.
Code:
fastboot oem get_unlock_code

When I run this, device list shows empty
Code:
adb devices

- Enabled USB debugging and stay awake options is checked from what I read on few posts
- When I restart the phone normally and then run "adb devices" it shows my phone listed
- Working on windows machine

What am I doing wrong here ?

TIA !!

PS: attached image shows the device state as Locked
Check in device manager. If you have the yellow triangle on your phone in device manager just download android composite driver and update it through device manager/browse computer/ select unzipped folder and click OK.
Might be the issue

Superguy

Nov 28, 2007
Baltimore
If your phone is SIM unlocked, follow the instructions to convert from T-Mo to global.

Then you'll have the normal OEM unlock in dev options. Then you can just do the fastboot oem unlock and call it good.

Much easier and you don't have to deal with the token. It worked well for me.

cass89

Jan 17, 2013
I have the global version, not TMobile, so this might not apply
But I had a similar issue with fastboot not recognizing my device, the solution is disabling driver signing in windows and manually updating the driver in device manager
Check the "root OnePlus9" thread.. on page 8 at the bottom there's a guide on how to do it

Reactions: FRNK8

FRNK8

Mar 8, 2011
Boston, USA
OnePlus 9
If your phone is SIM unlocked, follow the instructions to convert from T-Mo to global.

Then you'll have the normal OEM unlock in dev options. Then you can just do the fastboot oem unlock and call it good.

Much easier and you don't have to deal with the token. It worked well for me.

Thanks for your response.

I tried that earlier assuming the same but it asked me to first flash the unlock token for which I am following the steps

I was however able to get the device listed after manually uninstalling/installing adb drivers

FRNK8

Mar 8, 2011
Boston, USA
OnePlus 9
Check in device manager. If you have the yellow triangle on your phone in device manager just download android composite driver and update it through device manager/browse computer/ select unzipped folder and click OK.
Might be the issue

That was indeed the issue. I manually uninstalled and installed the drivers which helped and I can now see the device listed and also got the oem unlock code successfully.

I have submitted the form with Tmobile for the unlock token, hopefully that should do it.

Thanks !

FRNK8

Mar 8, 2011
Boston, USA
OnePlus 9
But I had a similar issue with fastboot not recognizing my device, the solution is disabling driver signing in windows and manually updating the driver in device manager
Check the "root OnePlus9" thread.. on page 8 at the bottom there's a guide on how to do it
This thread was helpful as well. Thanks !

FRNK8

Mar 8, 2011
Boston, USA
OnePlus 9
If going for root and conversion,don't forget to use partitions manager to back up persist.img and modemst1,modemst2.
Can't stress that enough. This is my second oneplus device messed up in a 3 week time period
I will definitely.

I remember doing the same process for OP6T. Some users had mentioned about the issues surfacing and that helped o go back to stock

That reminds, like 6T are there any known issues post converting ?

I remember play services weren't functioning fine as well as there was no google pay. My corporate apps also didnt install due to missing security certificates.

Same applies for OP9 as well ?

craznazn

Nov 12, 2009
OnePlus 8T
OnePlus 9 Pro
I will definitely.

I remember doing the same process for OP6T. Some users had mentioned about the issues surfacing and that helped o go back to stock

That reminds, like 6T are there any known issues post converting ?

I remember play services weren't functioning fine as well as there was no google pay. My corporate apps also didnt install due to missing security certificates.

Same applies for OP9 as well ?
You might want to backup your modem partition just in case you want to try the T-Mobile modem. I've heard reports the the AA modem works great, and also that the AA modem sucks, so YMMV

FRNK8

Mar 8, 2011
Boston, USA
OnePlus 9
If going for root and conversion,don't forget to use partitions manager to back up persist.img and modemst1,modemst2.
Can't stress that enough. This is my second oneplus device messed up in a 3 week time period

You might want to backup your modem partition just in case you want to try the T-Mobile modem. I've heard reports the the AA modem works great, and also that the AA modem sucks, so YMMV

Following the guide here, I just performed the bootloader unlock successfully. Per your suggestion, I want to backup the modem files before I proceed any further.

I cant seem to recollect how do I backup the modem files when I did the same conversion for OP6T. Can you please guide me here before I proceed with the next steps.

I tried installing the partitions backup but it wont allow me without root. I vaguely remember that I hadn't rooted my device the last time while backing up these files or is root needed ?

TIA !

craznazn

Nov 12, 2009
OnePlus 8T
OnePlus 9 Pro
You need to root. Rooting is fine and won't affect your modem. While you are there, back up persist, modemst1, modemst2, modem_a, and modem_b. _a and _b should be different versions and you can pick and choose which one you might want to use (or stick with AA)

FRNK8

Mar 8, 2011
Boston, USA
OnePlus 9
You need to root. Rooting is fine and won't affect your modem. While you are there, back up persist, modemst1, modemst2, modem_a, and modem_b. _a and _b should be different versions and you can pick and choose which one you might want to use (or stick with AA)

Can you help me with the steps to root ? Just want to be careful while doing so.

I saw some posts but that was related to the Tmobile OP9Pro(in my case its its Tmo Op9). The boot images were different so I didnt try to play around.

Thanks !

FRNK8

Mar 8, 2011
Boston, USA
OnePlus 9
Just try to fastboot boot a magisk patched img and see if it works.

Try https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/root-oneplus-9.4253651/

Don't flash anything, just go to fastboot
Code:
fastboot boot patched_boot.img

Okay did this step.

Downloaded an copied stock image and the boot_patched image provided on the link and copied to my phones internal storage

Also as next step said, rebooted the phone
- went to Magisk app > install > selected boot_patched.img from internal storage
- phone restarted
- When I open the partitions backup app it still shows "device is not rooted" warning

What step did I miss ?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.