TMobile Throttling Unlimited Data on Video Apps???

Search This thread

gregk232

Sep 2, 2009
Plano
Update -

Issue is resolved. Call Tmobile and have them disable the Binge On feature from you plan and have them reset your cell connection. I have done this and can confirm the issue is fixed.

So, flashing the Pure Nexus Rom has given me some proof on some shady stuff going on the Tmobile network, thanks to the feature which shows your real time data speed in the notification bar.

I am an unlimited data customer, and as of a few days ago, I cannot watch an HD video on Youtube without lag, which is weird because Tmobile in Dallas is very fast, like 50+ mbps. I have always watched 2k video without any issues.

I noticed that whenever I run any video app like Hulu, Netflix, or YouTube... the download speed will not go above 1.5 mbps. Whenever I do anything else, like download an app or run a speed test, it goes much faster.

Look that these screenshots... this is some serious BS going on! I can confirm that the 1.5mpbs speed cap is also happening on Netflix and Hulu, but I cannot take screenshots in those apps because the apps block that.

Anyone else on the Tmobile unlimited data plan experiencing this BS?

Attachments

• youtube.jpg
    youtube.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 454
Last edited:

gregk232

Sep 2, 2009
Plano
When I talk to customer service... They give me some bs that they cannot accept my problem because my Nexus 6p is not a tmobile phone. I hit them back with the fact that my brother has a tmo galaxy s5 and it's doing the same crap to him. We are on the same plan.

pablo1215

Aug 10, 2009
Google Pixel 6 Pro
It could be binge on. It detects that you're streaming and does some tmo magic maybe throttle to "optimized streaming video" they said there was a way to request to have it disabled. I didn't think YouTube was part of binge on though.

Last edited:

Zynesterysdan

Sep 9, 2013
That's what I think also. But I remember that youtube was part of the Binge

It's actually not part of the binge on program, it's something that they said they were trying to work with Google on.

It could just simply be you went past your monthly 'unthrottled' limit and are now deprioritized when streaming video, possibly.

Last edited:

gregk232

Sep 2, 2009
Plano
It's actually not part of the binge on program, it's something that they said they were trying to work with Google on.

It could just simply be you went past your monthly 'unthrottled' limit and are now deprioritized when streaming video, possibly.

I called and they confirmed that I have not gone past my limit and that I should not be throttled in any way

I've used only 11gb so far, and throttling occurs at around 20gb

Howie Dub

Apr 13, 2011
I was just in Hawaii, where T-Mobile isn't that great and had no issues streaming the TWC app. It would lag and stutter initially, but would be fine after a few seconds. This was on my Note 4 before I got my 6P though. I was getting about 20mbps down on LTE.

kingmikel

Oct 19, 2015
I would check your settings on your T-Mobile account. Binge On was turned on automatically for all customers, so log onto your account, go to profile, turn off the setting and see if that helps. I attached a screen shot so you can see what the settings look like.

cbrehob

Jan 9, 2012
Try to go through a VPN, then stream your video again. If it changes then you know it's a throttling issue. But don't just try it in one area, sometimes there is congestion.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

gregk232

Sep 2, 2009
Plano
I would check your settings on your T-Mobile account. Binge On was turned on automatically for all customers, so log onto your account, go to profile, turn off the setting and see if that helps. I attached a screen shot so you can see what the settings look like.

Thanks for this tip!

I changed the setting. Now let's see if it fixes my issue.

geoff5093

Jun 13, 2011
Just turn Binge On off on your account. It's enabled by default, and it "optimizes" your video so you use less data, but it means the quality suffers. Only certain services don't count against your data, but all video is optimized with Binge On enabled.

u89taper

Jun 7, 2012
On VZW UDP... I've noticed that (what seems to be in the last few months) when on cellular, YouTube automatically defaults to very low resolution video... Like 144p or 240p. I have to click the options and manually change the resolution. It looks like you've done your homework, just figured I'd throw this out there or at least share that I'm experiencing something similar with VZW.

gregk232

Sep 2, 2009
Plano
On VZW UDP... I've noticed that (what seems to be in the last few months) when on cellular, YouTube automatically defaults to very low resolution video... Like 144p or 240p. I have to click the options and manually change the resolution. It looks like you've done your homework, just figured I'd throw this out there or at least share that I'm experiencing something similar with VZW.

I think that is just the youtube app. I always have to change mine to 1080 or 1440 when my data works just fine.

gregk232

Sep 2, 2009
Plano
I resolved the issue!

I called tmobile, they confirmed that the binge on feature has been disabled on my account, and they reset my connection. When it came back up, this is the speed I'm getting o youtube.

Looks like YouTube is also on the binge on feature.

Attachments

• 1448473667023.jpg
    1448473667023.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 114

geoff5093

Jun 13, 2011
I resolved the issue!

I called tmobile, they confirmed that the binge on feature has been disabled on my account, and they reset my connection. When it came back up, this is the speed I'm getting o youtube.

Looks like YouTube is also on the binge on feature.
As I said above, YouTube can be optimized with Binge On for reduced data use, but it's not part of the free streaming.

Top Liked Posts