To 1020 lovers

Search This thread

abejoker

Jan 26, 2012
Guys, I've been using android for to long and I've always wanted to try windows. The Lumia 1020 it's appealing to me but heir I but a phone I always want to know if there's a common trouble or anything I should be aware of. But the forums are empty about the Lumia... Either good or bad

Can someone tell me how's the phone so far? Is it worth to buy it?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

Spectre51

I love it. Pictures and video are great. The OS is smooth and stable. You might not find all the apps you want but its not that bad. Great community of developers are making some very good third party apps where there is not official one. I don't have any real complaints, though I do miss not having Google+ and an official hangouts app.

Sent from my Xperia™ Tablet Z

Reactions: anuj_blaster

nishant786

Oct 19, 2010
Mumbai
I love it. Pictures and video are great. The OS is smooth and stable. You might not find all the apps you want but its not that bad. Great community of developers are making some very good third party apps where there is not official one. I don't have any real complaints, though I do miss not having Google+ and an official hangouts app.

Not trying to troll, I'm planning to shift from my Xperia to the 1020. What apps services do you think I'll miss the most based on your experience (eg xda app, Google services)

Sent from my C6902 using xda app-developers app

abejoker

Jan 26, 2012
Not trying to troll, I'm planning to shift from my Xperia to the 1020. What apps services do you think I'll miss the most based on your experience (eg xda app, Google services)

I've read you can still sync Google CAlendar and Contacts, which is the only things I use.

Reactions: nishant786

Spectre51

You can still do Google contacts and calendar just not Google+. There is a tapatalk app for forums. Instagram is coming out soon officially but there are some good 3rd party apps anyway. Flipboard is coming out soon too. There are some good freely integrated apps as well if you moved to freely from Google reader.

Don't really miss anything other than Google+. Everything else has an official app or 3rd party app at least for what I use.

Reactions: nishant786

anuj_blaster

Oct 22, 2011
hey is it possible to set multiple data (app) profiles for an app.. like we can do on android?

does it have a gmail app? i have also heard that whatsapp mess are delayed on lumia phones..

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

hey is it possible to set multiple data (app) profiles for an app.. like we can do on android?

does it have a gmail app? i have also heard that whatsapp mess are delayed on lumia phones..

krijger

Oct 21, 2007
Duiven
krijgerc.com

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

Gmail works fine. I haven't got any problems with whatsapp since wp7.8

dellyet

Jun 14, 2010
problems

Guys, I've been using android for to long and I've always wanted to try windows. The Lumia 1020 it's appealing to me but heir I but a phone I always want to know if there's a common trouble or anything I should be aware of. But the forums are empty about the Lumia... Either good or bad

I have a nokia 1020 and I have same problem as those.

you should read it.
http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nok...-Yellow-Tint-White-Balance-error/td-p/2075658

http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nokia-Lumia/Lumia-1020-adds-yellow-tint-to-photos/td-p/2138899

---------- Post added at 11:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 AM ----------

I've read you can still sync Google CAlendar and Contacts, which is the only things I use.

yeah but you cant se other calenders that is shared in google, like family calendars.

//dellyet

Lobstercat

Jan 14, 2014
Corning
update, almost a year later...

Just a quick update for you, of you are still wondering. Software updates have fixed the "yellow" camera problem, I have been shooting great pics for a few months now. Yes, you will miss a lot of apps you had in the Play store, but that will begin to change. Windows has opened itself up for free* to get more phone makers on board, and they are coming. Plus, Microsoft accepts Paypal, which Google play does not. So, increased market plus more opportunity for money = more apps. The Skype app is not as good as the Android one, and you can't log out & log back in with another username. But you will appreciate the lack of lag and/or freezing and the speed of the 1020, not to mention the amazing camera. Overall it's a very nice phone and I don't regret it for a second.

FabricioGS

Nov 18, 2010
São Paulo
Moto X4
Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S
I'm a .Net/C# programmer and when I tried to go for my first smartphone, I decided to buy an iPhone. My operator didn't have the model I wanted so I gave up after being offered a Sony (Ericsson back then) with Android. Loved Android for a long time (still like it, my Nexus is still running), but as a Microsoft programmer I decided to study WP development and bought myself a Lumia 920. I liked it so much that now my girlfriend is with the 920 and I bought a 1020 for me.

Android and iOS still have the best apps, but at least for me, in my daily use, I don't miss pretty much nothing, we already have great apps. What any Android user will miss are the Google Apps. Anyway, Gmail, Calendar and Contacts are supported by default. Google Drive and Music have some 3rd party apps that you can use. Currently I'm only missing a good Hangouts client, but it's not a big gap.

kleanth1s

Jan 8, 2012

Ok. I was an iphone user for years. Switched to HTC one for a change. Camera had the purple dim problem (google 4 it). Went to Lumia 1020. Worst decision ever. ITS NOT A PHONE. Its a camera. A great camera. As a phone the volume sucks. Maximum volume on the lumia is 40% on the iphone and on every other phone. You can not hear your caller in a noisy place. I talked to nokia support and they are talking nonsense. Too many users have the same problem. If you do not mind having headphones all the time, buy it.
You can also google for "low earpiece volume 1020. You will see the problem.
P.S. If you contact nokia/microsoft, they will answer you....... after 1 month with "please explain your problem" . Delaying because they do not have a solution.

truffle1234

Mar 16, 2007
Tokyo
Ok. I was an iphone user for years. Switched to HTC one for a change. Camera had the purple dim problem (google 4 it). Went to Lumia 1020. Worst decision ever. ITS NOT A PHONE. Its a camera. A great camera. As a phone the volume sucks. Maximum volume on the lumia is 40% on the iphone and on every other phone. You can not hear your caller in a noisy place. I talked to nokia support and they are talking nonsense. Too many users have the same problem. If you do not mind having headphones all the time, buy it.
You can also google for "low earpiece volume 1020. You will see the problem.
P.S. If you contact nokia/microsoft, they will answer you...... after 1 month with "please explain your problem" . Delaying because they do not have a solution.

I am using it from the day it was launched, very happy just got my denim developers update.

Did not have the blue/purple hue issue ever. Still takes great pic for me and great as a phone.

chiques

Jan 8, 2015
Oxnard
Previously Owned Devices:
• PCS Sprint CDMA PPC-6700/PPC6700 PDA / Windows Mobile 5
• Blackberry Curve 8300 / BB OS
• Nokia N900 / Symbian
• Motorola PHOTON 4G (MB855) / Android
• Nokia 1020 (RM-877) / Windows Phone 8.1

My Nokia 1020:
Pros:
• As reported, the camera is amazing. The best pictures come out in sunlight.
• The OS seems nice and smooth. I updated Windows Phone (as I do my desktop) without any issues
• NFC is cool, the text messaging, email IU, and tile desktop runs smooth
• Facebook runs nice
• Pandora runs nice
• Shazaam Runs OK (I haven’t’ been able to log in to my account though)
• Skype runs good
• Amazon Shopping runs good

Cons:
(PROBLEM #1) AT&T seems to have placed a permanent lock on the internet sharing option. Although I pay for the service on T-Mobile, the phone refuses to recognize the authorization therefore telling you there is no internet sharing plan. Giant bummer for me….I wanted to tether my old Android
• No Wifi calling on T-Mobile (sucks because this will help me when I’m buildings with wifi and no GSM signal)
• No Amazon Music
• No Google Maps
• No Google Docs Editing (Gsheets in particular)
• No Google Chrome
• Apps are very scarce compared to Android

sruthika

Jul 12, 2006
• Nokia N900 / Symbian

My Nokia 1020:
Pros:
• The OS seems nice and smooth. I updated Windows Phone (as I do my desktop) without any issues
• Facebook runs nice
• Pandora runs nice
• Skype runs good

Cons:
(PROBLEM #1) AT&T seems to have placed a permanent lock on the internet sharing option. Although I pay for the service on T-Mobile, the phone refuses to recognize the authorization therefore telling you there is no internet sharing plan. Giant bummer for me….I wanted to tether my old Android
• No Wifi calling on T-Mobile (sucks because this will help me when I’m buildings with wifi and no GSM signal)
• No Amazon Music
• No Google Maps
• No Google Chrome

The above is an operator issue

• No Amazon Music
You must try Nokia MixRadio

• No Google Maps
HERE Maps works perfectly

The office app with onedrive integration provides the same functionality

• No Google Chrome
Yep...try the new internet explorer

You dont need so many apps. You just need the daily drivers.

Reactions: swapcall

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

You can still do Google contacts and calendar just not Google+. There is a tapatalk app for forums. Instagram is coming out soon officially but there are some good 3rd party apps anyway. Flipboard is coming out soon too. There are some good freely integrated apps as well if you moved to freely from Google reader.

Don't really miss anything other than Google+. Everything else has an official app or 3rd party app at least for what I use.

• Nokia N900 / Symbian

My Nokia 1020:
    Pros:
    • Facebook runs nice
    • Pandora runs nice
    • Skype runs good

Cons:
    • No Amazon Music
    • No Google Maps
    • No Google Chrome

The above is an operator issue

• No Amazon Music
    You must try Nokia MixRadio

• No Google Maps
    HERE Maps works perfectly

The office app with onedrive integration provides the same functionality

• No Google Chrome
    Yep...try the new internet explorer

You dont need so many apps. You just need the daily drivers.