• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

!!To all the new Essential Phone owners who recently cashed in on the Amazon deal!!!!

Search This thread

mervinb

May 8, 2015
I've just received mine from Amazon. I missed the Prime Day sale, but it's still very reasonable.

After initial setup I checked for updates, received Android Pie. Things are working very smoothly - it's noticeably smoother than my Mi A1, smaller, better in almost all fronts, but should be at close to twice the price. The A/B partitions are familiar coming from the A1, so the move has be without issue. I'm even using the same Google camera port. Overall I've very pleased, and hope Essential stays in business for long enough for me to amortize the phone. It would be a pity if they left the scene.

NLBeev

Jul 4, 2007
Scheveningen
.....is the process for stock rooting always going to be: fastboot flash TWRP as boot.img, then in TWRP flash actual boot.img plus root of choice? Or is there a better method I'm not seeing?
The Elemental X manager is able to flash boot.img, twrp11.img and anykernel2.zip's.
With EXmanager v3.6.3 I have created backup's of the Pie stock boot.img and EX-kernel and the patched boot.img after rooting with Magisk v16.7.
Added twrp-mata11.img to the this backup directory.
So flashing twrp and reflashing stock boot is possible without a PC.
My idea is to flash the Pie stock kernel when the next OTA arrives and see if the OTA will install.

---------- Post added at 11:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

Substratum beta 998 works fine on pie. Just need to root the phone.
Tried Ss-beta 998 and 999. Both did not compile my Swift themes that worked in Oreo.
Could not find P-updates of my Oreo themes, so I am curious what theme you are using?

NLBeev

Jul 4, 2007
Scheveningen
G

GuestK00177

Tried beta 998 and 999. But no luck with my current Oreo themes. Have to wait for Pie updates.
Curious which themes you have installed.
These work, along with the apks I sent...I just mirrored from telegram

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180827-161150.jpg
    Screenshot_20180827-161150.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 221
  • Screenshot_20180827-161229.png
    Screenshot_20180827-161229.png
    253.2 KB · Views: 225
  • Screenshot_20180827-161235.png
    Screenshot_20180827-161235.png
    244.8 KB · Views: 227

NLBeev

Jul 4, 2007
Scheveningen
Need magisk or a custom kernel to hide unlocked status...
I switched kernels Stock, Stock+root and EX+root.
When booting there's always the message telling to lock the bootloader.
Probably Pie makes it easier for apps to detect the bootloader status than Oreo.
Because there are 2 bootloaders I wonder if it should help to switch to the opposite Slot; install the pay-app and than switch back to the previous slot. Assuming both slots are synced with exception of the kernels.

G

GuestK00177

Probably Pie makes it easier for apps to detect the bootloader status than Oreo.
Because there are 2 bootloaders I wonder if it should help to switch to the opposite Slot; install the pay-app and than switch back to the previous slot. Assuming both slots are synced with exception of the kernels.
That bootloader message is persistent and can't be removed unless the BL is locked

jmkarnai01

Oct 10, 2010
Middlesex, NJ
OnePlus 7
OnePlus 7 Pro

You have 2 options only. 1: Magisk 2: lock bootloader. There is no switching slots to get it to work. Read, read and read more when unlocking bootloader and all that comes with it. Also it has nothing to do with essential or pie but Google.

Last edited:

TT_Vert

Sep 11, 2010
Nah he is just needs glasses it's very obvious if you actually look at it. Of course some people just can't use tools ...

I doubt that's the case. I've got more tools than I know what to do with (And have a decent idea how to us them) and I poked the damned mic. You don't really know how the eject mechanism is engineered so it could really be either one.

Dave

Reactions: ins0mniac

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    read this 3 times from start to finish before you start asking questions....itll help with most of your questions...also...

When your unlocking your bootloader using the "fastboot flashing unlock" command....after the system has booted.... boot back into fastboot and also run the "fastboot flashing unlock_critical” this makes this device nearly unbrickable.... please do it you won't regret it.

Next twrp is in boot.img with a/b devices..so if you flash twrp and want to root you have to reflash the stock boot.img of your rom before you flash magisk....if you don't you'll have a bootloop that gets you nowheres

http://mata.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
    Also, welcome to the forums! Hopefully posts this don't scare away people and potential new devs since it's dead enough around here already.

Feel free to message me if you have questions, I won't jump down your throat.
    ....I didn't know that you could add calendar and temp. widget on essential launcher!
    I'm really impressed with the SOT so far.
    A week now using PH-1. Also impressed.
    Now learning about flashing to Slots.
    Did trial and error flashing TWRP and managed to make backups to the sdcard.
    In case I forget to disable the screen lock before flashing. I've saved copies of the stock- and EX-Kernel in data/media.

About Pie.
    Can't understand why Google forces us to use white backgrounds with gray text. I've difficulties to read that also with large font settings.
    I got my $223.99 Essential Phone 2 days ago. At first I thought, I'll sell it for more money after playing with it for few days, but.... I'm IN LOVE with it :(. I've switched from Sony XZ1 compact. It was good phone, apart from an OKey camera (before Sony, I had a Pixel 2).

I'm not gonna complain about a $224 phone. But it baffles me how they released their first phone, a flagship device with that crappy camera app!!! WOW! I downloaded Google Camera Port. I use Rootless Pixel Launcher, I'm using v5.3 with swipe up on home gesture turned off, I like navigation buttons better than gestures. Also, Ad free Youtube Vanced is a must for me.

Up on starting the phone, I updated it to Android Mud Pie, I did a factory reset afterwards. The phone is super smooth now with about 120 apps installed. Portrait mode works perfectly on Google Camera Port. I still use stock camera sometimes just for those awesome black and white photos. I haven't faced any wifi issues. I use Mint Mobile (T-mobile MVNO). 4G/LTE signal is terrible. I live in Queens, NY and I get about 0-1 / 4! So, I'm using 3G in 2018 (crazy!!), still I want to keep this phone!!! Call quality VERY VERY good, earpiece sounds AMAZING! I strongly believe 4G/LTE signal situation can be fixed with software update. On my global XZ1 compact, I installed US firmware and I was able to get VoLTE working with full 4G/LTE signals with Mint Mobile. Wifi call works flawlessly.

I haven't noticed any touchscreen issues. I don't like the fingerprint reader, on halo grey model, it is glossy black. It is not consistent. Only about 25% times it reads fingerprint in one try. Also, swipe down on fingerprint to pull down notification shade is not consistent, it takes few tries. Battery life very good, I did not measure any numbers, but I can easily get full day battery. GPS is also good, not great, definitely reliable. The bottom facing speaker can get LOUD, but not fuller sounding.

TIPS:
    ***The phone is not water resistant. Be careful on installing those wet screen protector. I sprayed those solution GENEROUSLY and saw liquid on my display and in front camera for about 2 days! I think it entered in to the screen through the earpiece grill.
    ***DO NOT use the phone without screen protector. The glass gets scratched easily. So use it with factory installed screen protector before you buy yours.
    ***AND of course don't put the SIM EJ(R)ECTOR in wrong hole ;). [Such a horrible design!!! These people don't even deserve to be around in phone industry!!!]
    I keep seeing this thread and wanted to post I missed this deal but got better deal later from Amazon Prime Now
    Love this phone and that is coming from a OG Pixel. I never realized how much bezel that phone had until I used this one. I would have definitely got this phone sooner if I had realized how awesome it was.