• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

To all the people who have unlocked their bootloader

Search This thread

prajnay

Sep 17, 2016
Hello, I just wanted to ask the people who have unlocked their bootloader have you lost L1 certification or not and are u able to still stream HDR videos on Netflix ?

Incarniac

Aug 16, 2008
London
L3 means SD streaming only from service that use DRM, as L1 is required for HD and above (even 720p).

Here's mine, locked bootloader - note L1 and HDCP level:
Screenshot_20190527-001012__01__01.jpg

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DonKilluminati23

Nov 2, 2012
I'm on TMobile and wondering, does every video get locked to SD or just certain services? And if that's the case, is there a list?

Also wondering how TMobiles HD video add on relates, is it completely a waste of money or do you only lose certain advantages of paying for this add on?

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Eric214

Oct 24, 2012
Philly
I'm on TMobile and wondering, does every video get locked to SD or just certain services? And if that's the case, is there a list?

Also wondering how TMobiles HD video add on relates, is it completely a waste of money or do you only lose certain advantages of paying for this add on?

No only what uses DRM. YouTube doesn't use DRM so YouTube will still stream in 1080p and 1440p with L3 security. Netflix uses DRM so that will only stream in 480p max with L3 security. So you have to know wherever your streaming from does it use DRM or not.

Last edited:

DonKilluminati23

Nov 2, 2012
No only what uses DRM. YouTube doesn't use DRM so YouTube will still stream in 1080p and 1440p with L3 security. Netflix uses DRM so that will only stream in 480p max with L3 security. So you have to know wherever your streaming from sores it use DRM or not.
I should have asked this all a different way probably, what I'm trying to find out is what uses DRM? I assumed Netflix and MLB At Bat but didn't know for sure what else.

Eric214

Oct 24, 2012
Philly
I should have asked this all a different way probably, what I'm trying to find out is what uses DRM? I assumed Netflix and MLB At Bat but didn't know for sure what else.

That I don't know since I don't care for on a screen this size, only 360 or 240 isn't really watchable. 480p is watchable in most cases. Not ideal and not great but watchable. I'm not watching movies and shows on a 7 inch screen. I'd like to be able to see when I'm 60.

You can probably just do a Google search to find out what streaming sites or apps uses DRM

DonKilluminati23

Nov 2, 2012
That I don't know since I don't care for on a screen this size, only 360 or 240 isn't really watchable. 480p is watchable in most cases. Not ideal and not great but watchable. I'm not watching movies and shows on a 7 inch screen. I'd like to be able to see when I'm 60.

You can probably just do a Google search to find out what streaming sites or apps uses DRM
I don't ever watch TV or movies, just a a few services such as ESPN+ and DAZN, couple others, for when I'm not able to watch something at home. I'll keep trying to Google my way, thank you

Incarniac

Aug 16, 2008
London
I couldn't find an exhaustive/definitive list but combining Wikipedia and a few other searches shows the following services: HBO, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and Spotify. It may be fair to assume Google Play Movies & TV does too, given Widevine is Google's.

Netflix is known to require L1, but I don't know whether any of the others do.

Reactions: DonKilluminati23

Eric214

Oct 24, 2012
Philly
I don't ever watch TV or movies, just a a few services such as ESPN+ and DAZN, couple others, for when I'm not able to watch something at home. I'll keep trying to Google my way, thank you

ESPN videos on my phone are always crisp. Sometimes it starts off not so good but about 2 or 3 seconds in it becomes a high res video and I'm rooted with L3

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I couldn't find an exhaustive/definitive list but combining Wikipedia and a few other searches shows the following services: HBO, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and Spotify. It may be fair to assume Google Play Movies & TV does too, given Widevine is Google's.

Netflix is known to require L1, but I don't know whether any of the others do.