Question To root or not to root, that is the question.

Search This thread

nayak.aj

Jan 16, 2011
Bangalore
So, I d like to get your opinions on rooting the S22 U

I've always been a fan of rooting, it would be the 1st thing I did after buying a new Samsung/android phone (coming from the HTC hero days followed by a Samsung Galaxy S2, with a bunch of phonessince then and now upgraded from an S10 ) regardless of how it would affect warranty.
But now, it doesn't seem as much as a necessity as it once was. The phone has been out for a few months , rom development is kinda stagnant ( not complaining ) no real Dev initiatives like it used to be. Debloating can be done without root.
So what is the REAL need to root the S 22 U right now? It pains me to as this question. I ve had my phone for about a week now and don't see the need for rooting like I once used to.
Would like to hear your perspectives on it.

Thanks !

Reactions: syonox
Honestly if you have bank apps on that phone, rooting is a no go since rooting blocks the bank app from even opening. If you dont, rooting is the best way to gain the performance out of your new phone, since its still a new phone, I wouldnt flash anything cause of warranty for about 2-3 years I havent had any kind of experience with warranty since most of the devices I flashed on are old devices which the warranty expired years ago.

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
I have 2 stock N10+'s that run like bats out of hell. They fulfill their mission and require very little maintenance. The load on this one in my hand is over 2 yo. I see no tangible benefits worth rooting in my case, just the opposite.

nayak.aj

Jan 16, 2011
Bangalore
Honestly if you have bank apps on that phone, rooting is a no go since rooting blocks the bank app from even opening. If you dont, rooting is the best way to gain the performance out of your new phone, since its still a new phone, I wouldnt flash anything cause of warranty for about 2-3 years I havent had any kind of experience with warranty since most of the devices I flashed on are old devices which the warranty expired years ago.
Fair point and I agree. But with nothing happening for months, so far, I wounder what would be going on with the phone from a development perspective, years from now.
Devs used to jump on new phone releases to put out roms, apps, kernels etc .
I don't quite see it here with the S22U

I have 2 stock N10+'s that run like bats out of hell. They fulfill their mission and require very little maintenance. The load on this one in my hand is over 2 yo. I see no tangible benefits worth rooting in my case, just the opposite.
If you see no benefits just dont root it, if you spot something you like and it requires root just root it simple as that :)

nayak.aj

Jan 16, 2011
Bangalore
Exactly. My old s10 serves as my backup at the moment and I still use it out of comfort and habit. I miss it already !

Fair point and I agree. But with nothing happening for months, so far, I wounder what would be going on with the phone from a development perspective, years from now.
Devs used to jump on new phone releases to put out roms, apps, kernels etc .
I don't quite see it here with the S22U
It comes with time, most roms take ages to get made cause of the vendors,kernel and device tree, although your phone just got released (25 of february 2022) It mostly will take a year for something interesting to popup.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Exactly. My old s10 serves as my backup at the moment and I still use it out of comfort and habit. I miss it already !
Factory sealed new N10+'s are still for sale... the Beast is fun to use, plenty of snap without the power draining junk. Best of all it's loaded with Android 10. The one in my hand is still running on Pie though, which I prefer.
The display still out does the variable refresh rate displays in terms of color rendering index and gamma range. That was a big selling point for me. Not as bright or smooth but better color calibration. The expandable storage clinched it.

I not happy with Samsung's flagship progress; the N10+ was their last well balanced offering.
It's sad that I would knowledgeably choose a 3 generation year old flagship over a new one... because Samsung just keeps dropping the ball.

The reliability of the S22U is untested because it's so new. Variable refresh rate displays have demonstrated a higher failure rate across the board. For this reason alone I would wait before breaking the warranty by rooting.

Reactions: nayak.aj and syonox
Funny thing is I dont even own a S22 U, nor any samsung device expect the J1 (J100H) and the S3 Mini (I8190) which are phones that are from 2015 and 2012, The main device I use is a stupid P40 Lite, its a bad phone cause of no GMS and rooting or adding a custom recovery Is practically impossible, I also own a ZTE KIS 3 which I absolutely ADORE.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Funny thing is I dont even own a S22 U, nor any samsung device expect the J1 (J100H) and the S3 Mini (I8190) which are phones that are from 2015 and 2012, The main device I use is a stupid P40 Lite, its a bad phone cause of no GMS and rooting or adding a custom recovery Is practically impossible, I also own a ZTE KIS 3 which I absolutely ADORE.
I have a S4+ and a ruggedized Motorola flip top relic. Samsung was firing on all cylinders with the N10+, their zenith in my opinion. This one (always in a Bolt case) will be 3 yo in October. The only repair has been a battery, due for another. It's heavily used. It looks and runs like new, zero display degradation. Both my N10+'s will likely be my #1's for 2-3+ more years. Maybe the global recession will kick some sense into Samsung... I'm not holding my breath though as the fail is strong with make an excuse Samsung.

Samsung lost their minds, Google Android lost their minds; they are more iPhone than Android now. I predict this year and likely next year will be a dismal wash for both.
Maybe 2025 will be better...

Reactions: syonox and nayak.aj

butchieboy

Feb 15, 2012
springfield.il
As of right now there is no root, no bootloader unlock anyway. Each user is different. If you think you need it for certain apps then root. But again S22U doesn't even have it so.....

nayak.aj

Jan 16, 2011
Bangalore
Factory sealed new N10+'s are still for sale... the Beast is fun to use, plenty of snap without the power draining junk. Best of all it's loaded with Android 10. The one in my hand is still running on Pie though, which I prefer.
The display still out does the variable refresh rate displays in terms of color rendering index and gamma range. That was a big selling point for me. Not as bright or smooth but better color calibration. The expandable storage clinched it.

I not happy with Samsung's flagship progress; the N10+ was their last well balanced offering.
It's sad that I would knowledgeably choose a 3 generation year old flagship over a new one... because Samsung just keeps dropping the ball.

The reliability of the S22U is untested because it's so new. Variable refresh rate displays have demonstrated a higher failure rate across the board. For this reason alone I would wait before breaking the warranty by rooting.
Inthink the 10 series in both note and galaxy was Samsung's peak !

nayak.aj

Jan 16, 2011
Bangalore
As of right now there is no root, no bootloader unlock anyway. Each user is different. If you think you need it for certain apps then root. But again S22U doesn't even have it so.....
We do have root. Check the forums. But it depends on which variant you have , I think thenorth American versions have a locked bootloader, hence not possible at the moment

ffp.

Oct 6, 2011

I've always been a fan of rooting, it would be the 1st thing I did after buying a new Samsung/android phone (coming from the HTC hero days followed by a Samsung Galaxy S2, with a bunch of phonessince then and now upgraded from an S10 ) regardless of how it would affect warranty.
But now, it doesn't seem as much as a necessity as it once was. The phone has been out for a few months , rom development is kinda stagnant ( not complaining ) no real Dev initiatives like it used to be. Debloating can be done without root.
So what is the REAL need to root the S 22 U right now? It pains me to as this question. I ve had my phone for about a week now and don't see the need for rooting like I once used to.

Thanks !
I rooted all my phones since ever. I admit the several reasons for rooting aren't a thing anymore. However there are still some left.

I rooted my S22U because of sound apps like Viper4Android (which unfortunately didn't work) and JamesDSP (this one works nicely). I also like to tweak appearance, like statusbar icons.

To be fair, if I don't have a rooted phone I feel that I don't have control of my own phone. Kinda like an Apple user lol.

To conclude, I do use several banks and etc apps that shouldn't work in rooted phones, but magisk hide root pretty well. The only downside of rooting for me are samasung pay (i use GooglePay) and samsung pass (also use google for passwords and logins) besides warranty. Which I never used in any phone.

Reactions: nayak.aj

Thanks !
If you have bank/crypto apps then don't or wait for another 3 years before rooting or if you get new phone. For me rooting now is not that important coz how powerful phones now. I've been rooting on the past coz phones back then has slow processors.

Back in the day when I had a Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Verizon), I had to root if I wanted to use Google Wallet (now Google Pay). Verizon had locked down its phones and if you wanted to use non-Verizon apps like Google Maps or Google Wallet (now Google Pay), you had to root.

Since then, I haven't rooted any of my subsequent Android phones (Note 2, HTC One M9, S8+, Note 8, and Note 10+ 5G). They all did what I needed (or wanted) without rooting.

If you are a tinkerer or there is an app or capability that you need that requires you to root your phone, then root away. Just be mindful that there are 2nd and 3rd order effects to rooting and not all of them are obvious.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have a S4+ and a ruggedized Motorola flip top relic. Samsung was firing on all cylinders with the N10+, their zenith in my opinion. This one (always in a Bolt case) will be 3 yo in October. The only repair has been a battery, due for another. It's heavily used. It looks and runs like new, zero display degradation. Both my N10+'s will likely be my #1's for 2-3+ more years. Maybe the global recession will kick some sense into Samsung... I'm not holding my breath though as the fail is strong with make an excuse Samsung.

Samsung lost their minds, Google Android lost their minds; they are more iPhone than Android now. I predict this year and likely next year will be a dismal wash for both.
    Maybe 2025 will be better...

Back in the day when I had a Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Verizon), I had to root if I wanted to use Google Wallet (now Google Pay). Verizon had locked down its phones and if you wanted to use non-Verizon apps like Google Maps or Google Wallet (now Google Pay), you had to root.

Since then, I haven't rooted any of my subsequent Android phones (Note 2, HTC One M9, S8+, Note 8, and Note 10+ 5G). They all did what I needed (or wanted) without rooting.

If you are a tinkerer or there is an app or capability that you need that requires you to root your phone, then root away. Just be mindful that there are 2nd and 3rd order effects to rooting and not all of them are obvious.