Question To those of you who rooted, how's it going?

Search This thread

davie9x

Jul 11, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Good to know. Is there any difference between the Hong Kong and US version?

I used to root my phones for quite the same reasons. I stopped using Greenify ages ago though, I don't think it's necessary on modern phones. And I'm not 100% sure about EdExposed as it slowed down my OP7 Pro a bit.

How do you find yourself with Samsung and system updates? Is it a stress to update and re-root?

tbh I don't really know about US versions, but please check the root thread and search through the comments, but when u have a carrier phone then it's hard to unlock, maybe pay for an unlock service..

updating and re-rooting is doable and not that complicated just with extra steps, u just patch the new update via magisk and use odin to do the rest, it depends just on the download speed of the new firmware update..

I use Greenify and Naptime just for some chinese apps that I use or shopping apps that keep running in the background and sending notifications. And with Tasker I can enable aggressive doze during sleep time. It's true that modern phones don't need dozing much, because Samsung overdoes it and sometimes it misses some notifications.

Reactions: _JuSteR_

elliwigy

Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Staff member
XDA App Taskforce
  • Samsung removed the fastboot mode from all their devices. How is that supposed to be open source and developer friendly? No more Samsung for me. Never again. Xiaomi is much more open source and developer friendly and much cheaper. Bye bye Samsung! Good riddance.
    samsung hasnt used fastboot for years and years.. nothing new.. u dont need fastboot to customize a phone.. plus twrp nowadays has a fastboot mode

sagiag

Sep 12, 2016
    the biggest problem when you are rooting Samsung device is that KNOX is triggerd and than you will not be able to receive ant FOTA updates or use any of the Samsung prebuilt apps - like Samsung Pass , Samsung pay etc .

I'm rooting my devices since I remember myself , now unfortunately if I will do it it will be almost impossible for me to sell it in second hand without FOTA .

if you don't mind to lose those abilities I totally recommend to ROOT your device

vegetaleb

Feb 26, 2010
    Beirut
    Also came from a rooted op7pro, I don't regret at all my S21U, this phone is a beast.
    1 month and still no root because tripping knox means voiding the warranty in my country, I am using a dns to get rid of ads and I am planning to install hex installer to have additional mods.
    Actual custom roms have nearly nothing to offer over the stock one, now if Lineage get released one day then yes I will root my s21u

elliwigy

Staff member
    XDA App Taskforce
  • I'm still trying to figure out what tripping KNOX means in practical terms.
    If it means losing Samsung Pass and Pay only then I'm totally happy with it, because I don't use them
    It depends really. One thingvis certain tripping knox will cause issues with a number of samsung apps to not work mainly samsung pay, secure folder, shealth (although maybe some hacks to get shealth working again) etc.

The grey area is it technically is a knox "warranty" bit. So depending on your country, carrier, insurance etc. varies as far as what us acceptable, ignored, allowed etc. when it comes to a voided warranty. Some countries might say it voids warranty so its no longer covered but at same time might notvreally enforce it.. some countries coukd care less. Some might not even know what it is or how to check it.

_JuSteR_

Aug 26, 2008
    Between UK and Italy
    Also came from a rooted op7pro, I don't regret at all my S21U, this phone is a beast.
    1 month and still no root because tripping knox means voiding the warranty in my country, I am using a dns to get rid of ads and I am planning to install hex installer to have additional mods.
    Actual custom roms have nearly nothing to offer over the stock one, now if Lineage get released one day then yes I will root my s21u

I'm with you. I'm giving a look at 'hex installer' now, but doesn't seem to be 100% functional. Let me know how it goes

It depends really. One thingvis certain tripping knox will cause issues with a number of samsung apps to not work mainly samsung pay, secure folder, shealth (although maybe some hacks to get shealth working again) etc.

The grey area is it technically is a knox "warranty" bit. So depending on your country, carrier, insurance etc. varies as far as what us acceptable, ignored, allowed etc. when it comes to a voided warranty. Some countries might say it voids warranty so its no longer covered but at same time might notvreally enforce it.. some countries coukd care less. Some might not even know what it is or how to check it.

I see. Tbh I initially thought that tripping knox would have compromised the use of any banking apps, any NFC payment apps and the touch ID system. It actually sounds something less invasive

sagiag

Sep 12, 2016
    I'm still trying to figure out what tripping KNOX means in practical terms.
    If it means losing Samsung Pass and Pay only then I'm totally happy with it, because I don't use them
    You also lose the ability to receive any updates from Samsung

I'm not sure but I think that any samsung app wl not work .

For me personally I'm also dosent use any of these apps
    But the ability to receive Android update is a major issue for me

elliwigy

Staff member
    XDA App Taskforce
  • You also lose the ability to receive any updates from Samsung

I'm not sure but I think that any samsung app wl not work .

For me personally I'm also dosent use any of these apps
    But the ability to receive Android update is a major issue for me
    not accurate.. u lose updates when device is shown as "custom".. if u run complete stock unrooted etc then u can still get updates usually..

and some samsung apps work or can be made to work.. theres a few tho that will not work.

sagiag

Sep 12, 2016
    not accurate.. u lose updates when device is shown as "custom".. if u run complete stock unrooted etc then u can still get updates usually..

and some samsung apps work or can be made to work.. theres a few tho that will not work.
    Ok
    So let me see if I understand what you mean.

If I'm unlock BL and ROOT my device
    I will still be able to receive Android update?

I'm not sure about that

elliwigy

Staff member
    XDA App Taskforce
  • Ok
    So let me see if I understand what you mean.

If I'm unlock BL and ROOT my device
    I will still be able to receive Android update?

I'm not sure about that
    re-read what i wrote.. i specifically say complete stock and "UNROOTED".. if ur rooted then device will show as being custom

elliwigy

Staff member
    XDA App Taskforce
  • So you're just reiterating exactly what he said in the first place?
    it is not.. he replied to comment about features lost after tripping knox saying that he also believes it prevents updates from working.

This is not true. Once you unlock bl and flash custom firmware knox is tripped forever. If you are on 100% stock unrooted you can still get ota even with knox being tripped. So I was simply pointing out hus belief that ota updates wont work when knox is tripped as being incorrect in some scenarios..

also he stated he believes no samsung apps will work which is also not true since its only a few that wont work and some can be modified to work and others still work.

So it actually was the "opposite" of what he said originally.

elliwigy

Staff member
    XDA App Taskforce
  • the biggest problem when you are rooting Samsung device is that KNOX is triggerd and than you will not be able to receive ant FOTA updates or use any of the Samsung prebuilt apps - like Samsung Pass , Samsung pay etc .

I'm rooting my devices since I remember myself , now unfortunately if I will do it it will be almost impossible for me to sell it in second hand without FOTA .

if you don't mind to lose those abilities I totally recommend to ROOT your device
    in fact he says twice that ota will not work and no samsung apps will work which are not entirely true. I am just pointing out that ota updates are still possible with tripped knox if on 100% stock (or can use odin to update) as well as most samsung apps will work except spay, secure folder and sometimes shealth which usually has some fixes available to work so really common one that wont work is spay but to say any prebuilt samsung apps will not work is untrue.

sagiag

Sep 12, 2016
    in fact he says twice that ota will not work and no samsung apps will work which are not entirely true. I am just pointing out that ota updates are still possible with tripped knox if on 100% stock (or can use odin to update) as well as most samsung apps will work except spay, secure folder and sometimes shealth which usually has some fixes available to work so really common one that wont work is spay but to say any prebuilt samsung apps will not work is untrue.
    Ok
    Thank you for the clarification ☺

Just want to make sure
    If I'm staying with stock but debloat it I will still get OTA?

As far as I remember from my note 9 once I unlocked the BL no Fota updates been available for me

elliwigy

Staff member
    XDA App Taskforce
  • Ok
    Thank you for the clarification ☺

Just want to make sure
    If I'm staying with stock but debloat it I will still get OTA?

As far as I remember from my note 9 once I unlocked the BL no Fota updates been available for me
    no.. i said if on 100% stock and unrooted etc... if ur device status is "custom" then updates will fail.. "debloating" the firmware is a customization therefore would be considered a "custom" rom.. not sure how else to explain it...

shriom_manerker

Mar 23, 2011
    Margao,Goa
    OnePlus 3
    OnePlus 5T
    I went from a OnePlus 7T to the S21 Ultra. The flasher in me went crazy the first month or two. I kept looking for ways to unlock and root etc. Regretted my decision. BUT THEN, after exploring and research, I found that I could get rid of ads across the whole phone. Including in app ads. I could theme. I could do basically everything I wanted WITHOUT root. After gradually moving all my passwords to Knox, it's grown on me. I'm very content. Samsung UI has come a long way imo
    Just think about what you want out of being rooted. Research and find outnif you can accomplish the same without root and then go from there.
    Hey man im using the 7T currently and was considering the S21 ultra, im from India so its the Crapsynos version. are you on the snapdragon or exynos? if exynos, is it smooth like the 7t (before the ****ty android 11 update that ruined the phone). I wanted to root my 7t but never had to because there was no lag at all. My last samsung phone was the galaxy sl (back in 2009), i know things have come a long way... but im still afraid because of the lagfest i faced and the need to format device every 2 months to get it working normally again.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      You don't neet adguard or root to block ads. Use the global dns in settings. Use adguard dns or a custom ad blocker such as nextdns. Both are free.
      I've been rooted for 2 weeks with a hong kong model G9880, unlocking the bootloader was pretty smooth only the firmware download and extra steps to root Samsung devices are much more complicated compared to OnePlus phone including OTA updates.

Everything I've been using was without any problems so far, I've tested Samsung Health and Samsung Pay wasn't working, but not a big deal for me as I use Google Pay. Samsung DeX is working fine also. I don't like Samsung apps as I don't want to stick with them too long.

For me it was worth it to root and trip Knox, because root is a feature for me as I'm pretty nerdy about controlling things and making things my own. I mostly use root for: Tasker automation for limiting battery charging, disabling services, and so much more automations, Adaway, (LP), EdXposed: PrivacyLua, AllTrans, theming Gboard themes, disabling navbar buttons and replace them with FNG and One Hand Operation+ (now using Nova doesn't have issues with swipe gestures, yaay!), Greenify to doze apps, DarQ to make almost any apps dark mode, SD maid (rooted) for disabling apps that start up on boot, Panda Mouse Pro for mapping keyboard in games without mouse and keyboard support (activation with root doesn't need a computer and adb anymore), also i can access ADB in Termux without a computer and without LADB, and so much moooree.. I could go on all day.

After rooting, all tweaking it is SO MUCH pleasure and so smooth to use and it all depends on the user if you're satisfied the way you use your phone. Tripping KnoX may decrease sale price if you're going to sell your phone in the future but I've read they still accept your phone as a trade-in for another phone so it's great. Of course some things can also do without root but with a hassle.

I'm coming from OnePlus 8 Pro and I chose S21 Ultra for DeX mode and when I use screen mirroring I can output 120hz for gaming and bought a monitor for that.
      US Snap Dragon chips now have a locked bootloader countrywide in newer Samsung Galaxy phones.
      no TWRP or root without going thru a paid bootloader unlock service
      I'm not an S21 owner nor American, I've just seen this in the S20FE forums, that's how US networks want Samsung to do stuff.
      Hey there!

After 2 years I'm finally switching from a great OnePlus 7 Pro to a brand new Galaxy S21 Ultra (US/Snapdragon).

I rooted my OP7 the first day I got it, it was pretty straightforward - OnePlus made things easier too - and keeping it updated wasn't a big deal. Maintenance was smooth. I really didn't lose any security service, all my banking and payment apps worked flawlessly.

On the other hand, I've never rooted a Samsung before, but I keep reading that it's a bit of a pain.
      So I wanted to ask to those of you who already rooted the S21 how it's going. Any app/service you had to leave behind so far? Any complications or difficulties?

Cheers!
      I went from a OnePlus 7T to the S21 Ultra. The flasher in me went crazy the first month or two. I kept looking for ways to unlock and root etc. Regretted my decision. BUT THEN, after exploring and research, I found that I could get rid of ads across the whole phone. Including in app ads. I could theme. I could do basically everything I wanted WITHOUT root. After gradually moving all my passwords to Knox, it's grown on me. I'm very content. Samsung UI has come a long way imo
      Just think about what you want out of being rooted. Research and find outnif you can accomplish the same without root and then go from there.