Question To Unlock bootloader or not?

Search This thread

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
Just change your DNS to use an adblock provider. Root is not needed.
In the Network & internet settings, change Private DNS to dns.adguard.com

That will help a bit, but the limitation is that it will still have to make an external dns lookup, which costs resources and time and costs privacy.

sic0048

Jun 25, 2010
Google Pixel 7
Google Pixel 8 Pro
For years I unlocked and rooted every phone I owned. Of course this was when Android OS was extremely limited in features, TWRP was king, and security features like safety net weren't a thing yet. Those were the glory years.... ;)

The Pixel 6 was the first phone I didn't unlock. Honestly I didn't miss anything except the hassle that comes with rooting now (manual updates, trying to pass safety net, no TWRP backups if something goes wrong, etc, etc). All the things I used to root for are either part of Android OS now, aren't being developed anymore, or are things that I used to care about that when I'm honest with myself, I haven't really missed.

Now I have moved on to a Pixel 7 and I just cannot see a situation where I will feel the need to unlock and root my phone. I won't say "never" because who knows what the next big thing will be, but there simply isn't a compelling reason to root right now IMHO.

JovialQuestion

Yes always unlock. Why get the ability to be able to unlock taken away when the manufacturer decides to lock it down. Imagine buying a Asus laptop with say windows 95 on it. Asus decided not to support it anymore. Now in 4 years windows drops support for 95 and now you cannot use basic applications unless you update. If your bootloader is locked you would have no choice but replacing a device that works perfectly fine that's hardware supports the update you need. Unlocking the bootloader doesn't automatically break updates. If you simply unlock the bootloader and make no changes to the software it will and has for me always worked as intended and would get updates. Tho I usually deny doing a update through settings and download it to sideload in the stock recovery. When updates and you can find other Systems and won't be forced by a company to buy a new device. I just like options lol

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
Yes always unlock. Why get the ability to be able to unlock taken away when the manufacturer decides to lock it down. <snip>
That doesn't make sense. If you can unlock the bootloader now you can unlock it later. The manufacturer, Google at this reading, will not remove the unlock oem switch to non functional. If you are only readying the device for down the road then flip the OEM switch and leave it at that. This way the banking apps that check for bl unlock will not trigger and you can always unlock later. I usually flip it when doing a manual update to the OS just in case and then flip it back.

As for computers that's a horse of another color. Aren't there utilities that can wipe out a boot partition so you can install anything you want? Been a while since I've had to do that though. Well hmm.. for instance I took an old Asus clunker and made it a Chromebook recently. That wiped out everything but I guess I could still get into the BIOS.

JovialQuestion

That doesn't make sense. If you can unlock the bootloader now you can unlock it later. The manufacturer, Google at this reading, will not remove the unlock oem switch to non functional. If you are only readying the device for down the road then flip the OEM switch and leave it at that. This way the banking apps that check for bl unlock will not trigger and you can always unlock later. I usually flip it when doing a manual update to the OS just in case and then flip it back.

As for computers that's a horse of another color. Aren't there utilities that can wipe out a boot partition so you can install anything you want? Been a while since I've had to do that though. Well hmm.. for instance I took an old Asus clunker and made it a Chromebook recently. That wiped out everything but I guess I could still get into the BIOS.
Did you update the pixel 6. Or many Samsung devices. They do if the unlock was not supposed to be allowed so if your given the chance jump on it. So I'd say it does make sense

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
Did you update the pixel 6. Or many Samsung devices. They do if the unlock was not supposed to be allowed so if your given the chance jump on it. So I'd say it does make sense
I never heard of that happening on any Pixel device. Can you provide any evidence of that? As for Sammy that's a different forum and I really have no idea what they do.

JovialQuestion

I never heard of that happening on any Pixel device. Can you provide any evidence of that? As for Sammy that's a different forum and I really have no idea what they do.
Regardless of hearing about it. The bootloader unlock program is not a guarantee nor promise. Look at LG for example. They ability to unlock the bootloader can be revoked at any time by Google or any manufacturer for Any reason. I've had personally two pixel phones and one Samsung that updating to a new VS or the OS took away the ability to unlock the bootloader by taking away the bootloader unlock command or by removing support entirely from the device to unlock. Sometimes it's an error yes and another update would fix it or all together they decided the device you have doesn't qualify anymore for the unlock. Either way. I personally don't let it stay locked once I see the ability to unlock it. As the ability to toggle the oem in development setting has no bearing on the unlock when the bootloader is fused and unlockable. I currently have two pixel 2 xls that have that toggled but you cannot unlock it in fastboot. Ultimately the bootloader has to support it as well as the toggle in settings. So my advice is to unlock while you can so if you so decided to make changes later on you can.

JovialQuestion

Just to add. I'm using a pixel 3 with android 13 rooted and my banking apps and all apps including Google pay work just fine. You just need to make sure your hiding root and your not overly modifying and the apps can work fine without to much effort. I've never had a banking app not work with it just being unlocked with the stock OS installed

41rw4lk

I'd make an argument to unlock simply to have a way to repair your phone if something went wonky, like an update. It does happen and as we know, you can't simply flash a factory image on a locked bootloader even if it is a signed official image.
That still baffles me, google should at least have a rescue boot.img or a blankflash instead of having to RMA your phone for a software issue.

Reactions: JovialQuestion

JovialQuestion

I'd make an argument to unlock simply to have a way to repair your phone if something went wonky, like an update. It does happen and as we know, you can't simply flash a factory image on a locked bootloader even if it is a signed official image.
That still baffles me, google should at least have a rescue boot.img or a blankflash instead of having to RMA your phone for a software issue.
A great point. Yes being unlocked does make it easier to repair. I do agree on the rescue boot. They could sign a boot.img that would boot the stock recovery even. So a ota could repair the device or at the very least allow the command to change boot slot to work on locked devices so you could at least try the other slot without change.

Reactions: kchat and 41rw4lk

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
A great point. Yes being unlocked does make it easier to repair. I do agree on the rescue boot. They could sign a boot.img that would boot the stock recovery even. So a ota could repair the device or at the very least allow the command to change boot slot to work on locked devices so you could at least try the other slot without change.
I don't deny your experiences but I've never heard of a bootloader being fused. Anyone else out there? As I said I just flip the switch when I do something I'm not sure about and then flip it back. Never had an issue. I can flash anything I want if I unlock when needed.

JovialQuestion

Do you know if this works on a locked pixel

It uses the rescue mode from bootloader. Says android 10 and up for pixel 3 and up.

JovialQuestion

Here another reason I suppose I would unlock. As soon as I get the device.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230408-102644_Samsung_Internet.png
    Screenshot_20230408-102644_Samsung_Internet.png
    347.6 KB · Views: 43

JovialQuestion

I don't deny your experiences but I've never heard of a bootloader being fused. Anyone else out there? As I said I just flip the switch when I do something I'm not sure about and then flip it back. Never had an issue. I can flash anything I want if I unlock when needed.
Clearly you have never bought a Verizon branded Pixel and missed your chance to unlock the device when it was allowed on release by mistake... And that's okay. However some people do experience these issues and an unexpected update will take away the ability later on to unlock

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
Clearly you have never bought a Verizon branded Pixel and missed your chance to unlock the device when it was allowed on release by mistake... And that's okay. However some people do experience these issues and an unexpected update will take away the ability later on to unlock
I've had about 8 Verizon Pixels to date. Since the exploit in the 2 was closed it's not been possible. But seriously one mistake over 5 years ago hardly portends current unlocking abilities for non Verizon Pixels. Can Google do it, maybe. Have they or will they, no. And with the OEM switch in the allow position there would be a riot if they did. Simply not happening.

Reactions: JovialQuestion

JovialQuestion

I've had about 8 Verizon Pixels to date. Since the exploit in the 2 was closed it's not been possible. But seriously one mistake over 5 years ago hardly portends current unlocking abilities for non Verizon Pixels. Can Google do it, maybe. Have they or will they, no. And with the OEM switch in the allow position there would be a riot if they did. Simply not happening.
And I was clearly including Samsung and LG in my responses so I wasn't only referring to the Verizon pixel I was giving my experience and my reasoning for unlocking based on all of the devices combined I'm sorry that you've zeroed in on pixels when my responses stated the other devices as well. Next time I will be sure to be clear

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My Pixel 3 is having power button/battery-life issues, so I took advantage of the inflated Google trade-in values and pre-ordered the 7 (ugh, hope it goes better than the 6 launch, especially since with my trade-in I'll be stuck if I have issues).

My Pixel and Pixel 3, I unlocked the bootloader and rooted, but with the Pixel 3, seemed like I was spending more and more time trying to read and make sure that I was going to be able to get the updates installed and re-root with Magisk, and still be able to pass SafetyNet and Play store certification with a different kernel, such that I was skipping updates because I just didn't have time.

My main reason for rooting these days was to use AdAway and to freeze apps that I wasn't using regularly (like Uber, Lyft, store apps needed to get coupons but rarely used which I didn't want waking up and siphoning data in the background) with Titanium Backup. And to migrate a few apps and app data using Titanium Backup (though I think most apps/data transferred successfully using the Pixel transfer wizard when I went Pixel->Pixel 3?- can't remember the last time I had to do this, after 3 years on the P3)

When setting up the P7, I'm thinking about not unlocking the bootloader and just trying to use an adblock DNS, but wonder if anyone else is having similar thoughts? Have you been able to backup/restore apps and app data when necessary using ADB or Helium? Do you freeze apps or just uninstall ?

If I have forgotten some other reason why I really needed to be rooted with unlocked BL, do you think I'll be able to take an ADB backup, unlock BL and wipe and restore all apps/data?

Would be interested to know what everyone else is planning on doing...
    The very first thing I will do is unlock the bootloader and root. Not really a hassle for me and I don't use banking apps.
    Unlocking the bootloader immediately creates a CTS profile mismatch with SafetyNet and will cause issues with Gpay and most banking apps. The post in this thread saying that unlocking your bootloader doesn't break anything is completely false. If you unlock the BL then you should also just root so you can install the Universal SafetyNet Fix Mod 2.0 and fix the CTS issue and use Gpay and banking apps. I went from a rooted stock ROM, to Paranoid Android. I had no issues with Gpay on PA until I rooted it and then even after passing SafetyNet checks Gpay wouldn't work no matter what I did. I'm currently back to a factory image stock Rom and locked BL because Gpay and banking apps are very important for my use case. I also enjoy OTA updates and not patching
    init_boot.img every time an update comes out. You have to decide for yourself what's important for your use case but at least be properly informed of the potential issues that may come with a modified setup.
    No details are needed, you can look it up yourself. Unlocked bootloader doesn't break anything.
    None of what you said applies.

@Nateg900t Aren't you glad you asked? So this demonstrates what I said previously that there are 2 schools of thought. If you are security conscience then not only do you not unlock but you don't even flip the OEM switch. If you do and you switch it back it will ask you to reboot to reenable security. If you're not worried about losing your phone or having your information at risk then you can unlock.

I cannot, nor will I, take a stand on whether you should do it or not. That's entirely up to you. If you don't plan on rooting I see no reason for it either way. Updates don't trash your phone in my experience, although it is remotely possible. Back up your device is my suggestion. Sure you'll lose some stuff but not that much and what you do lose you probably didn't need. lol. Anyway, good luck and do some research on your own. There are obviously no clear answers here among the passionate feelings expressed.
    As someone who released ROMs for years on this site.

Not worth rooting this time around imo. You break more than you gain.
    For years I unlocked and rooted every phone I owned. Of course this was when Android OS was extremely limited in features, TWRP was king, and security features like safety net weren't a thing yet. Those were the glory years.... ;)

The Pixel 6 was the first phone I didn't unlock. Honestly I didn't miss anything except the hassle that comes with rooting now (manual updates, trying to pass safety net, no TWRP backups if something goes wrong, etc, etc). All the things I used to root for are either part of Android OS now, aren't being developed anymore, or are things that I used to care about that when I'm honest with myself, I haven't really missed.

Now I have moved on to a Pixel 7 and I just cannot see a situation where I will feel the need to unlock and root my phone. I won't say "never" because who knows what the next big thing will be, but there simply isn't a compelling reason to root right now IMHO.