Toast popups stay on my screen for 10+ seconds long, each... Unrooted Android 10

syndre

Feb 28, 2011
Michigan
www.last.fm
I don't know exactly what I did that made this start happening, but right now every time a toast message pops up it stays on the screen for over 10 seconds. If there are other messages queued up then it will display all of them one after another each for over 10 seconds. I did a Google search and could not find a solution. Has this happened to anyone else?

I've tried everything short of a factory reset. I rebooted and safe mode and it still happens. I reset all of the application preferences, as far as permissions and that sort of thing goes, that fixed a few issues I've been experiencing but the toast problem persists.

Is this a bug? is there a solution? Can you adjust the timeout for toast messages? Are there any third party apps that change this setting on an unrooted phone that I unwittingly may have used?

Will I be forced to do a full factory reset to fix this problem? It's really annoying, haha!

thanks in advance for any help

Reactions: fratletimac

syndre

Feb 28, 2011
Michigan
www.last.fm
I did everything including a factory reset and those toast messages still did the same thing, so I am thinking it definitely is an OS system upgrade problem!!! It is so annoying !!

I still don't understand if this happens on everybody's Pixel 3 or if it's just ours. if it's just a few people then there has to be a common thing that caused it to start doing this. I haven't thought about it too much but my first suspicion was SystemUITuner. did you by chance install that and change anything using it?

I can't think of anything else that I have had to enable permissions with ADB for on here that would have messed with the display settings.

I've been rooting every phone I owned since cupcake. usually owning more than one at a time because well that just makes your power level go up exponentially :p ... through carelessness and not reading what I needed to before purchasing my Verizon Pixel 3 XL, This is the first phone I've had in my life for more than a month or so that was a daily driver without root.

my point is, I really can't think of a reason why the timeout for all toast messages system wide would suddenly change to be 30 seconds long instead of three. I would have bet on it that that is something that you need root to alter. ??*

typos are speech to text

Sent from my Google Pixel 3 XL using XDA Labs

syndre

Feb 28, 2011
Michigan
www.last.fm
looking at Google's past release schedule and also starting to hear rumors about Android 11 (they did put a system image up on Google's page but you cannot install it without an unlocked bootloader), we should start hearing official announcements about it soon, with beta1 probably end of April beginning of May.

Even if there are a few not annoying bugs I think it would be worth the upgrade to get rid of these toast messages covering all kinds of stuff that I need to be reading NOW! not in (in the case of three or four toasted pop-up great after each other) 2 minutes later when I've already Ben distracted and can't remember what I was wanting to be able to tap on that was under the eternal-1 toast message timeout.

it's very interesting to me that if you Google this problem there's maybe one or two results. I'm very curious what we are doing to cause this issue. if you or anyone from the future is reading this and knows This information please leave a little response or just post a link it, so maybe I can die happy having finally solved this riddle

thank you in advance

Sent from my Google Pixel 3 XL using XDA Labs

testbug

Aug 8, 2017
I stumbled upon this after googling the same issue.
I'm not sure if we had the same issue, but I just noticed that it was the "Time to take action (Accessibility timeout)" option, under Settings > Accessibility that made my toasts be long than 3 seconds.
Although it should be on "Default" by default (duh), so if you didn't change this, it must be something else.
Just thought I'd mention it.

Reactions: mhtruth and metpet