TomTom sound off when starting

Search This thread

JayRayMee.NL

Dec 17, 2005
www.rcblog.nl
Hi there,

Is there someone using TomTom Navigator 6.03 and experiencing the same strange thing I do?
Everytime I start TomTom the sound is off; the sound off icon is on screen. I have to tap Turn on sound in the preferences menu twice in order to have the sound turned on and to have the icon disappeared.
When I exit TomTom and start it again, the sound is turned off again.

Annoying and no idea how to fix that. Deleting the navigator.cfg didn't help.

PDAMerlin

Jun 11, 2005
Everytime I start TomTom the sound is off; the sound off icon is on screen. I have to tap Turn on sound in the preferences menu twice in order to have the sound turned on and to have the icon disappeared.
When I exit TomTom and start it again, the sound is turned off again.

Hi. I am having exactly the same issue here with TT. I've checked my mapsettings.cfg file and it's not read only...The only thing I can think of is it is because my map is installed on the microdrive, not an SD card

Any help appreciated too!
Merlin

JayRayMee.NL

Dec 17, 2005
www.rcblog.nl
Mapsettings.cfg is not read only and my maps (everything on TomTom) is installed on the Storage Card.
I have exactly the same installation running on my Touch as well, and no problems at all. Seems to be something on my X7500 then.... but what!!???

jsp91470

Mar 17, 2006
San Jose, CA
Same problem here...

However it started when I updated it from 6.01 back on my old Wizard. That worked properly. I did discover that you don't have to go to Prefs... you can get the sound back on by tapping the joystick to the right. Also, it doesn't happen when it's on AC power, but only on battery.

findus

Aug 7, 2004
Birmingham, England
However it started when I updated it from 6.01 back on my old Wizard. That worked properly. I did discover that you don't have to go to Prefs... you can get the sound back on by tapping the joystick to the right. Also, it doesn't happen when it's on AC power, but only on battery.

Not a bad workaround, just wish we could find what was causing this.

JayRayMee.NL

Dec 17, 2005
www.rcblog.nl
Just to clear things out, but who has this problem with official and legal versions of TTN 6.03? - E.g. has it something to do with cracked/patched versions?

jsp91470

Mar 17, 2006
San Jose, CA
Mine's legal...

Although I'm starting to regret messing with TomTom. Their customer service is awful. Unless your device is one the approximately 5 devices they officially support, they'll wash their hands of you if you call for help saying your device is "not compatible." I called for support on my Wizard, which to be exact was a Cingular 8125. That phone is not on their list of compatible devices, but its twin, the T-Mobile MDA, is on the list. I called and said I had an 8125 and they refused to help me. I hung up, called back, and said I had an MDA. They tried to help me, but when they didn't have an instant answer for me they just said, "Sorry, we don't have that problem on ours" and started spewing out useless canned knowledge base articles. For heaven's sake, the MDA and 8125 are the SAME PHONE! Also, don't tell them you have WM6, because WM6 is "not compatible." Basically, if you have to call TomTom support, lie through your teeth. I'm waiting for OnCourse Navigator, due out in October or November, and then I may abandon TomTom.

mahjong

Mar 8, 2005
El Escorial
wintablet.info
Just to compile information...

OK Let's see:

1) I got my TT6.03 legal with legal maps and I got the problem.
2) Running my old legal TT6.01 I didn't had the problem.
3) If I do it using Prefs I need to activate twice the sound in order to get the mute removed
4) I got the problem running on baterry, using the oficial car charger and using the wall charger. I got the problem all the time no matter what power source I'm using.
5) The "Move Joysting to Right" workaround works great. Thank you very much. That don't solve the problem but makes my live much easier.

So... that's the point. I'm running TT6.03 (legal) over WM5 ROM in spanish.

Best Regards,
mahjong

JayRayMee.NL

Dec 17, 2005
www.rcblog.nl
So.... resuming: it's TomTom Navigator 6.03 with the combination of the HTC X7500/Athena.

The problem isn't there while running 6.03 on a HP iPAQ hx4700, Qtek 9000 and HTC Touch.

Gsyltc

Jul 26, 2006
Toulon
LOL !!!!

Ok man !!! Is your connection GPRS/EDGE/UTMS/HSDPA is online ?
Because if there's an active connexion Tomtom start allways with the sound off.

Try to disconnect before launching Tomtom

JayRayMee.NL

Dec 17, 2005
www.rcblog.nl
LOL !!!!

Then that goes for version 6.03 only. With 6.00 it didn't matter wether the data connection was active or not.

Anyway, I need to stick with 6.03 and live with the mute problem, since 6.03 can work with my voices stored on storage card (instead of MD) and performs a fix in only seconds (instead of 1 - 1,5 minute).

QAN

Nov 10, 2004
No sound after starting TT6.03

I have the legal version of TT6.03 and I have the problem too. I only have this problem when my phone is connected to the internet using gprs, umts or hsdpa. If their is no connection I do not have this problem. It also happens on other devices for instance the HP iPAQ 6340 and it is a know bug. TomTom know's about it. It will be solved in te next version.

QAN

Last edited:

mahjong

Mar 8, 2005
El Escorial
wintablet.info
LOL !!!!

BINGO!!! We got a winner here ladies and gentlemans.

Mine has the connection online all the time due to my push-mail solution (Blackberry Connect). I did some test shutting down Blackbery Connect before starting TT and "the problem" just gone.

Thank you. Anyway since I must have connection online all the time the "Joystick move to right" trick is great for me.

MarcValme

Mar 8, 2005
TomTom6 Sound

Guys great thread, I am glad to see someone else is struggling with this strange issue. Its really no big deal, its just annoying. Any updates on this issue yet?

zlick

Mar 14, 2006
tomtom 6.02-7910 works fine

I also was having problems with tomt 6.032 but the problems does not seem to exist in tomtom 6.02-7910