• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[TOOL][2.3+] Share files over wifi

Search This thread

droidev1

Jun 27, 2014
"Share files over wifi" (ShareBox) it's a new free tool app aimed to easily share files over wifi through web browser

When using ShareBox, you will not have anymore let friends and relatives take your device to show them your photos or videos. They will see them through their own device, be it android, iphone, windows, blackberry or linux, through their web browsers. And they will only see what you want to show in a quick, comfortable way and simultaneously!

As other devices begin to connect you will immediately know what they are watching through the informative Sharebox log list.

Get it at Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.b6dev.sharebox

Features that makes this app special:
  • Share the files through browser, so you can get them from any device that has a web browser be it android, iphone, ipad, windows, blackberry or linux.
  • Only shares and shows the files previously selected.
  • May be used with wifi networks, own wifi hotspot and also on phone 3g connections.
  • When ShareBox server is on, you are presented with a URL link to see what others are going to see.
  • As other devices begin to connect you will know what they are watching through the log list.
  • Very useful for photo shows as it presented by default as gallery, but also has a list mode that may be more suitable for other kind of files.

Last edited:

BehindTheMath

Feb 5, 2013
I also saw this on the XDA portal. Looks like a great idea; I have to try it out.
A few questions:
1) How do you connect over data (e.g. 3g)?
EDIT: I see the server status page has a WAN IP as well. Do we need to do any port forwarding or anything like that?
2) Can you download the files as well, or just view them?
3) Is there a way to add whole folders?

Last edited:

Oxyandy

Dec 1, 2013
Hmm I like the concept !
(Not yet tried app - wishing you had a direct download link to fileshare service along with G-Store link)
Here's what I would like to be able to do and hoping your app can handle it.
Share a folder, then view / download those files through the browser.
Guessing http //device.ip/share

dic1911

Feb 22, 2014
dic1911.github.io
Google Pixel 4a 5G
I also saw this on the XDA portal. Looks like a great idea; I have to try it out.
A few questions:
EDIT: I see the server status page has a WAN IP as well. Do we need to do any port forwarding or anything like that?

Portforwarding is common for any server, u might need to do it if connect to a router
I think u can start the server on mobile network directly

Sorry for my bad English...
Sent from my HTC Desire 200 using XDA Premium 4 Mobile app

Reactions: droidev1

Oxyandy

Dec 1, 2013
Yeah I managed to download the app, with VPN & G'Play..
Nope, I cant add a whole folder.
Every-time I attempt to look at settings *CRASH*

I added a screenshot to share, it shows in PC browser as link, but wont download /open
Looking at path tells me why ;)

http 192.168.1.133:4321/shbx_uri/ictures/Screenshots/Screenshot_2014-10-27-14-17-01.png

'ictures' ? Really

I would rather use port 80 or 8080..
hence why I 'try' open settings, after tapping settings, about 6 seconds later. *CRASH*

Last edited:

octibv

Mar 27, 2011
The app works perfectly on my Oneplus One, it does exaclty what it says and it saved me from a lot of trouble.
Thanks!

Last edited:

droidev1

Jun 27, 2014
A few questions:
The connection is made through ip sockets, so you may connect not only through wifi but also through all ip addresses your mobile may has, at the time you turn on your ShareBox

There is no need to do any port forwarding

Yes of course! If you do it from your mobile web browser keep your finger pressed over the target file till the contextual menu shows up. If done through computer browser use your secondary mouse button. Easy!

Adding whole folders may be done through workarounds (using third party file managers or file compression) but is not yet "officially" supported

Reactions: hav0c

droidev1

Jun 27, 2014
Yeah I managed to download the app, with VPN & G'Play..
Nope, I cant add a whole folder.
Every-time I attempt to look at settings *CRASH*
Please provide all the information you may recopile from the crashes you may have through PM or/and also through google android error reporting, so more information may be received and solution may be provided ASAP. Thanks!.

I added a screenshot to share, it shows in PC browser as link, but wont download /open
Looking at path tells me why ;)

http 192.168.1.133:4321/shbx_uri/ictures/Screenshots/Screenshot_2014-10-27-14-17-01.png

'ictures' ? Really
Could not reproduce your error, sorry!. Certainly the uri is composed based on system path folders names, so don't know why it appears that way :confused:

I would rather use port 80 or 8080..
hence why I 'try' open settings, after tapping settings, about 6 seconds later. *CRASH*
Yes, you may change the port used through settings menu, but restriction to use ports below 1024 is keeped. As stated before, please report your crashes with as much information as possible.

Thanks!

Oxyandy

Dec 1, 2013
Please provide all the information you may recopile from the crashes you may have through PM or/and also through google android error reporting
Yes, I did via G android.
I will sit down later and give you more information :)
But, dinner comes first ;)
Summary
Samsung Tab 3 10" - Tap Settings - a delay, screen stay same - then after 6 seconds, maybe bit longer, app closes with msg box (every time)

tylerdurden83

May 28, 2011
Would it be possible to enable nfc "sharing"?
For example, if I have sharebox opened and running on a certain ip and port, and I tap another nfc device, then the other device's default browser would open up, already displaying the sharebox url.
Kinda like I can share a web url or maps location via android beam, but this time the beam wouldnt be between two identical apps, but between sharebox and the default browser of the other device.
Cheers!

droidev1

Jun 27, 2014
Yes, I did via G android.
I will sit down later and give you more information :)
But, dinner comes first ;)
Summary
Samsung Tab 3 10" - Tap Settings - a delay, screen stay same - then after 6 seconds, maybe bit longer, app closes with msg box (every time)

Ok, that was a good clue. It seems an error that happens on this kind of devices. Published new version that will hopefully ammend it.

Thank you!

droidev1

Jun 27, 2014
Would it be possible to enable nfc "sharing"?
For example, if I have sharebox opened and running on a certain ip and port, and I tap another nfc device, then the other device's default browser would open up, already displaying the sharebox url.
Kinda like I can share a web url or maps location via android beam, but this time the beam wouldnt be between two identical apps, but between sharebox and the default browser of the other device.
Cheers!

Mmmmm, not a bad idea ;)

At first sight it seems that it should be possible if both devices were running ShareBox app with this feature implemented. Will have to study...

Thanks for your feedback!

Reactions: tylerdurden83

s7560m

Apr 17, 2014
Toronto
"Share files over wifi" (ShareBox) it's a new free tool app aimed to easily share files over wifi through web browser

When using ShareBox, you will not have anymore let friends and relatives take your device to show them your photos or videos. They will see them through their own device, be it android, iphone, windows, blackberry or linux, through their web browsers. And they will only see what you want to show in a quick, comfortable way and simultaneously!

As other devices begin to connect you will immediately know what they are watching through the informative Sharebox log list.

Get it at Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.b6dev.sharebox

• Share the files through browser, so you can get them from any device that has a web browser be it android, iphone, ipad, windows, blackberry or linux.
  • May be used with wifi networks, own wifi hotspot and also on phone 3g connections.
  • When ShareBox server is on, you are presented with a URL link to see what others are going to see.
  • As other devices begin to connect you will know what they are watching through the log list.
  • Very useful for photo shows as it presented by default as gallery, but also has a list mode that may be more suitable for other kind of files.

Definitely needed something like this. I'm tired of having to upload to google drive just to port some app that says "incompatible with this version" within play store on my painstakingly slow phone.

Oxyandy

Dec 1, 2013
sorry if you see some other update.
Hey no problem, I'll just update again..
I dont mind reporting bugs..

What I really need though, would be an app which can share a folder.
(Not just an interface that lets me share all the files in the folder quickly)
Something which shares 'that folder' live..
So if folder contents update 'live', refreshing the page will reflect the changes, much like a web-server would :)

tylerdurden83

May 28, 2011
If I try to add a cloud pic (I click add file, select stock kitkat gallery, click on a picasa / g+ image) the app force closes.
Can cloud pics be added? I dont think that nowadays people keep more than a few recently took photos on their device, both for memory and sync / backup reasons...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Came here cause I saw the app in the XDA portal, seems simple enough and ultra handy for the people who really struggle to send files. :good:
    If I try to add a cloud pic (I click add file, select stock kitkat gallery, click on a picasa / g+ image) the app force closes.
    Can cloud pics be added? I dont think that nowadays people keep more than a few recently took photos on their device, both for memory and sync / backup reasons...

Cloud pics or files may not be added right now. Although it's possible to do it by the app in an automated way, right now only the files and pics on device multimedia storage may be shared through ShareBox. The clear workaround for this would be to manual download the pics and files.

May on a next release this feature will also be included, because the way file sharing is being made by ShareBox right now is a little bit tricky in the aim to not waste precious device storage space, but also causes troubles when sharing from certain apps like the ones you mentioned.

Thanxs for your feedback!
    A few questions:

Portforwarding is common for any server, u might need to do it if connect to a router
    I think u can start the server on mobile network directly

Sorry for my bad English...
    Sent from my HTC Desire 200 using XDA Premium 4 Mobile app
    awesome app and i hope you make it look better in next updates :)

thanks