• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Tool/App] user.conf Creator v0.4 for CM and OfficialDonut [8/12/2010]

Search This thread

BrooklynAvi

Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 5, 2008
Brooklyn
www.mibapps.com
Update: v0.4 has been released. See changelog in the next post.

You can download the app using the link below or from the Android Market. Click or scan the barcode below.

This is essentially a visual representation of the user.conf file. I created this app because a few people I know have a hard time pushing files in terminal or ADB. This app allows you to push user.conf and userinit.sh files via an app. For people who have trouble editing their user.conf file or find terminal or ADB too complicated, here's your answer. There is no need to edit the user.conf file or even download one for that matter. You simply enter the values into the various boxes and click a button. That's it.

Complete help documentation is included within the app itself so I will not include it here, at least not now.

Important Note: This app does NOT validate your input. Please use the threads below to find out what values are necessary for your particular ROM.

This app is based off the user.conf and userinit.sh files found in the following posts:

For Cyan 3.6.8+
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=542899

For Cyan 4.1.99+
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=4823045&postcount=536

For Official Donut 2.1.1+
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=538456

Screenshots
userconf1.png

userconf2.png

userconf3.png

userconf4.png

For the changelog, see the next post. Please keep this thread on topic. Do not post user.conf issues here. Post your user.conf issues to the proper thread using the links above. This app simply represents those user.conf/userinit.sh files. I will not change the structure of the files nor do I really know much about them. I am more than willing to answer questions regarding this app and hope to update it as needed.

Note: This may very well work on other devices. If someone can point me in the direction of user.conf and userinit.sh files for other devices I will add them to future versions of this app, time permitting.

This app is also in the Android Market.

After downloading, change the extension from .zip to .apk and install as you would any other non-Market app.

Attachments

• UserConf.zip
    41.4 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:

BrooklynAvi

Nov 5, 2008
Brooklyn
www.mibapps.com
Changelog and TODO

Changelog

v0.4
• Added a bunch of different CPU frequencies, pretty much everything I found in SetCPU. I haven't tested this but since it just prints it to a user.conf file, it should work fine as long as the device supports the frequencies you set.

v0.3
• user.conf file actually gets pushed now. Big thanks to XDA forum member andrew richardson for pointing it out. Update above, in the Market and on SlideMe.org.

v0.2.1
• Name change to user.conf Creator (not user.conf Editor since you are only really creating the files, not editing them)

v0.2
• Added support for Cyan 3.6.8x+
• Added support for Official Donut
• Added option to backup you current file(s)

v0.1
• Initial release

TODO

• Add some seriously awesome validation. ;)
• Add support for Hero ROMs (although untested,the Cyan 3.6.8x+ option should work)
• Add some presets
• Possibly look into making this an actual "editor" in that it will read your current user.conf file.

Last edited:

2leaponover1

May 18, 2009
Looks like an extremely helpful app. Gonna check it out. I really only use linux swap so looks like i can focus on that and leave the default configurations for the other options, am i right?

keemyb

Aug 6, 2009
This is a really good idea, and if you get the validation sorted, which you probably will, it will stop masses of people, including me stopping their whining. There will be little to no excuse of not being able to make your own user.conf, and I can see this being introduced to the big roms soon.

BrooklynAvi

Nov 5, 2008
Brooklyn
www.mibapps.com
Ok so I also only want to enable the linux-swap partition I have. I would just check the linux_swap_en correct? Then push file and reboot?

If you wanted to enable your linux-swap ONLY (with no other settings), simply open the app, select your ROM, push and reboot. By default, if you do nothing, the app will push a user.conf with linux-swap enable with a swappiness of 50 for Cyan 4.1.99+. Everything else is disabled (or rather, not enabled).

But like I said in the OP, any configuration issues should really be addressed in the proper thread since this is literally an exact copy of those files only with a GUI attached. While I have a pretty good understanding of the various settings, the people who write userinit.sh files know far more than I do. ;)

BrooklynAvi

Nov 5, 2008
Brooklyn
www.mibapps.com
When I run the app it says it pushed the user.conf and the userinit.sh, but only the userinit shows up in the folder.

I'll check it out.

EDIT: OMG. Hundreds of downloads and you're the first to notice that. WOW! I've been running an older version of the app so it's been working for me. I had commented out the lines in the code while testing something and never un-commented them. I am re-signed the package and will upload it here, in the Market and on SlideMe.org. Thanks for pointing out what should have been ridiculously obvious.

Last edited:

BrooklynAvi

Nov 5, 2008
Brooklyn
www.mibapps.com
May I use it on any ROM or just on those three?

It should work for other ROMs if they use the user.conf/userinit.sh files from the links provided in the OP. You can test for me if you wish and if there is a specific ROM for which you need support, let me know the ROM and where the user.conf/userinit.sh files are located and I will add it when I have time (not that I have much lately).

AnGeL_WiT_SiNs

Aug 28, 2009
texas
user.conf

yes i have a question.. i used your app and i pushed the files on the linux swap to 32 mb... so now when i type free in the terminal it reads

total used free
shared buffers
mem: 107100 104264 2836
0 652
swap: 31424 24944 6480
total: 138524 129208 9316

well the question that im asking is how can i turn the swap off back to 0..cuz before my swap read 31424 it read 0 across .. i really appreciate if i can get an answer .. thanks

BrooklynAvi

Nov 5, 2008
Brooklyn
www.mibapps.com
yes i have a question.. i used your app and i pushed the files on the linux swap to 32 mb... so now when i type free in the terminal it reads

total used free
shared buffers
mem: 107100 104264 2836
0 652
swap: 31424 24944 6480
total: 138524 129208 9316

well the question that im asking is how can i turn the swap off back to 0..cuz before my swap read 31424 it read 0 across .. i really appreciate if i can get an answer .. thanks

Are you asking how you can turn your linux-swap off? I'm having trouble understanding your question. If you want to turn the linux-swap off, uncheck all the linux-swap, compcache and swap file checkboxes and re-push the files.

psguardian

Jul 5, 2008
Time for New release?

I am trying to use this with CM 4.2.13 to enable 32mb compcache + the backingswap feature (32mb swap partition). When I set the checkmarks for these items & pushed the file & rebooted my phone lagged really bad so I 'pulled' the files over to SD with the backup option & renamed to .txt so I could view in a notepad app rather then in terminal... low & behold the default app settings had been pushed, not my selected settings. I am wondering if something drastic has changed within CM that would mess with your file creation or what else could have caused this? (I am not leaving out human error on my part) I went into terminal & rm /system/sd/ user.conf & userinit.sh so i can try again clean. Please tell me you are still actively supporting this app! I love its potential for ease of use in manipulating these files.

Also I'm not sure what settings I should put in on compcache+backingswap, here is whats running on my phone...

I have (on my sig phone/SDcard/ROM) blackicedroid theme with stericson lockscreen & advanced launcher built in, 4 home screens,
Widgets : last.fm, myspace friend status, facebook status, Google Calandar, android power control bar, F*ck my life 1x4, three weather bug small (1x1)...
17 app shortcuts
Active background Apps : Twidroid, eBuddy (logged into 2 chat accnts), Craigsnotifica (15 regions being scanned).

~psguardian

android007

Feb 10, 2010
i need a little help

Hey guys, I think your app is amazing dude. I'm fairly new the rooting my phone, I have done a lot of similar things in the past, but never involving a phone. I have a T-Mobile myTouch 3g, i love this phone, but i wanted to see what it could do. i work with other T-Mobile coworkers and many of them rooted using the CyogenMod. Today there was a bad snowstorm so i stayed in and rooted my myTouch. everything went great! i love this phone so much more, i cant believe it!

Anyway, i know i can over clock it. and i saw that the creator uses a myTouch so i figured I followed his photo settings in the first post. I want to over clock my phone to the best of its abilities but I don't really wanna push it TO its limits. I'm just wondering if basically those two settings scaling_min_freq and scaling_max_freq are what is going to control the processing speeds, and what is best in my case? I initially followed AndroidAppCritic's same values, but I lowered my max value to the 300K limit. Is that a ok? I mean, I'm guessing it lets my phone only really reach that max value when it needs to, but what does the minimum speed have much to do with it? I set mine to the same 245760, but should I lower this since I'm running a lower maximum frequency than 528000?

Thank you.

jorge89

Dec 17, 2008
Orem
I can't update or install any apps, it says there isn't sufficient memory.
I have a G1 with cyanogenmod 4.2.14.1 with
apps2sd checked
compcache_en checked with 32 cc_disksize
cc_backingswap checked with 60 swappiness
I don't know what I'm doing wrong but help would be greatly apreciated. And also my swap partition is 128MB since I tried a rom that required that much and I decided to keep it like that but I'm pretty sure that's not the problem, is it?