[Tool][AROMA] G2/DZ AIO wipe tool

Search This thread

Волк

Jan 7, 2012
San Diego
Nexus 9
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Introducing the new G2/DZ All in One tool!
This is a "wipe" tool for the G2/DZ with the following features: Nullifier, Formatter, Cache and Dalvik "wiper",
and Error-Checker​

Each tool, minus the Cache and Dalvik portion, is customizable, that is to say, you can select the partitions you want targeted, and, in the case of the Nullifier, the number of wipes.

A little about each:

Nullifier: An in-depth (and true) wipe tool.

Formatter: Formats to ext4 and runs an error check afterwards.

Error-checker: Checks for errors and corrects as possible.

Cache and Dalvik "wiper": Not truly a "wiper", but it formats /cache and checks for any errors (see previous) then deletes the Dalvik cache.

For general questions and other info which may not be included here (in other words, if your answer isn't in this thread look in the general thread.) see: General Discussion, Q&A, and more info on The Nullifier

Link to file:

G2-AIO-V1.02

Thanks to:

dragon-son for getting me the needed info for the G2.
and
Matze5800 for getting me the needed info to ensure that this will not brick the DZ.

Last edited:

Волк

Jan 7, 2012
San Diego
Nexus 9
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Known issues:

1. No progress bar on the Nullifier. If people can send me logs I can see about adding this in.
13 Oct: Have what I expect to be the next version out to my testers now.

2. Pressing the back button in the menu system causes AROMA to freeze, this seems to be a problem with AROMA itself. 13 Oct: Come to think of it, this may not be an issue and if so, may be solved with next release as it will have the new AROMA binary in it.

To come:

Working progress bars for the Vanilla G2 and the DZ/G2 with DZ hboot.

I may add a theme to it. I'm not a white background kind of guy.

New AROMA binary, won't really have any impact on what this does but may give better button responsiveness.

There is a very strong maybe that I may add the AROMA FM to this as well. I never thought of doing that until someone mentioned it in the AROMA thread recently, so I may take a look at what it requires and tinker with the one for my phone if my work stays dead. Wait, I think I see a zombie!!! No, no, no such luck.

Last edited:

vcurbel

Oct 31, 2010
Nice tool...thanks

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using xda app-developers app

dragon-son

Oct 26, 2010
Mesa
Loved this tool for my wife's G2x, love it even more on my G2. Keep in mind that the nullifier takes much longer than a normal wipe as it erases everything. Expect approx 10 minutes for a single pass and approx 20 mins for a double. Also remember the known issue with the process bar not moving, and expect to wait. Don't turn off your phone or reboot without installing a ROM. Also make sure you have enough battery or that your device is plugged in before starting.

Reactions: Zorro_GPPL

Волк

Jan 7, 2012
San Diego
Nexus 9
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Just for clarification, the boot concern is only if you wipe /boot then power down. It's a 'duh!' thing, but it still happens or people start to run it and fall asleep and wake up with a brick.
And to reiterate regarding the progress bar, Irvine get at least a log from a nullification I can put in even a semi-accurate progress bar.

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

Reactions: dragon-son

Волк

Jan 7, 2012
San Diego
Nexus 9
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I still need one from the DZ, partition sizes are different. Dragon-son gave me a log for the G2 last night. I am very busy until the weekend, so my progress on it will be slow unless my evening work is slow.

Edit: Actually, I just realized that I need a dual-wipe log as well. You can just attach it here. The way to get it is simply run a dual wipe then when it finishes hit "save log" then finish.

Edit 2: Just put together a tester for single wipe with progress bar, waiting for dragon-son to test and get back to me.

Edit 3: just pm'ed it to tarroyo as well.

Last edited:

dragon-son

Oct 26, 2010
Mesa
Version with the progress bar is fairly accurate, it's not 100% accurate, but it's at least moving. Sent log for dual wipe and log for single wipe with progress bar over to Волк for review.

Reactions: Волк

Волк

Jan 7, 2012
San Diego
Nexus 9
Google Pixel 6 Pro
As an update: Work was dead so I had tons of time to do what I needed. Test versions are out. I would like more logs from people with the DZ, the partition sizes are different and I would prefer to have an average to base the times off, versus one log.

I think I can still keep it in just one zip for both devices. Can someone tell me is the devices are strictly on two different carriers? Based on the recovery logs I see for the G2: http://db.tt/ETXnSzny and the DZ: ro.carrier=HTC-GER (which is Germany?)

A little reading on Wikipedia and my question is answered. Now, I will just need to know the carried code for the countries the DZ is in, lol. Here's a link for a log copier for those who will help out: http://db.tt/N98zaahM
It will copy the log to the root of your SD card named something like G2x_log.txt.

nevyntanis

Jan 14, 2009
I would love to give this a try, I just have one or two concerns, if you have the time to address them I will appreciate it... See below quotes;

Now, I will just need to know the carried code for the countries the DZ is in, lol. .

I a little lost as to the relevance of this, why would the carrier matter?

Just for clarification, the boot concern is only if you wipe /boot then power down.

This I just dont understand at all, lol

Also one last question, how does this differ from superwipe? Does superwipe ignore certain partions?

dragon-son

Oct 26, 2010
Mesa
Basically don't turn off the device without flashing a new ROM, as this wipes boot partition. So turning off the device may cause you not to be able to turn it back on. The super wipe tool wiped boot as well.

This is different from super wipe tool in that it completely nullifies the data so it takes longer to run, because it's actually erasing everything.

Also the carrier code doesn't really matter. The tool works with the G2/DZ currently. However in the current released version in the thread here, the progress bar doesn't appear to move. It's still doing it's thing and wiping the data. Volk is working on getting the progress bar to report and as accurately as possible.

As an update on the progress bar the current beta version is pretty accurate.

Reactions: nevyntanis

nevyntanis

Jan 14, 2009
Basically don't turn off the device without flashing a new ROM, as this wipes boot partition. So turning off the device may cause you not to be able to turn it back on. The super wipe tool wiped boot as well.

This is different from super wipe tool in that it completely nullifies the data so it takes longer to run, because it's actually erasing everything.

Also the carrier code doesn't really matter. The tool works with the G2/DZ currently. However in the current released version in the thread here, the progress bar doesn't appear to move. It's still doing it's thing and wiping the data. Volk is working on getting the progress bar to report and as accurately as possible.

As an update on the progress bar the current beta version is pretty accurate.

Thanks alot, I will give this a go and then install Flinny's latest test build. Oh and thanks for the link to this thread dragon-son...:good:

dragon-son

Oct 26, 2010
Mesa
Also since this Aroma installer based you can choose what you want to wipe.

If your on a previous test build a cache and dalvik wipe should be fine.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

So if you were on a previous test build, with the Aroma installer you can tell it to only wipe the cache and dalvik. Personally I am doing the dual wipe of everything.

Reactions: Волк

Волк

Jan 7, 2012
San Diego
Nexus 9
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I would love to give this a try, I just have one or two concerns, if you have the time to address them I will appreciate it... See below quotes;
I a little lost as to the relevance of this, why would the carrier matter?

What I was thinking of doing was having a check for the carrier as a get_prop but I think it will be easier to add another menu for the user to select which device they have and just use that menu selection as the source of info for which status bar to load. The need is because the two devices have different partition sizes and different chips so, for example the DZ actually seems to have a faster chip than the G2.

Also one last question, how does this differ from superwipe? Does superwipe ignore certain partions?

Most tools like that either just delete the contents of the partitions or format, which doesn't seem to provide for an optimal condition for ROM installation. This brought about people being told to wipe several times and only then was a difference noted. I am in no way trying to assert that I know WHY that is so, I am simply making an observation and creating a 'fix' (for lack of a better term) for the situation.

Reactions: nevyntanis

nevyntanis

Jan 14, 2009
What I was thinking of doing was having a check for the carrier as a get_prop but I think it will be easier to add another menu for the user to select which device they have and just use that menu selection as the source of info for which status bar to load. The need is because the two devices have different partition sizes and different chips so, for example the DZ actually seems to have a faster chip than the G2.

Ok one last question, then I will stop irritating you:laugh:, more a clarification really, when you say carrier I assume now that you mean the device itself, not the as I assumed originally the actual gsm network, like tmobile or whoever?

Looking forward to getting done at work to try this out, looks intresting, and dragon-son, I agree completly, wipe everything!!!!Nuff said, lol

wbelac

May 3, 2009
Detroit, MI
www.flickr.com
The need is because the two devices have different partition sizes and different chips so, for example the DZ actually seems to have a faster chip than the G2.

Now I realize this may have no real impact other than on the accuracy of the progress bar, but what about for users with a G2 running a DZ hboot? I have my G2 set up that way, from when I was trying out some sense roms.

Looks like a handy tool though, I'm about to try it out before flashing flinny's latest test build.

Волк

Jan 7, 2012
San Diego
Nexus 9
Google Pixel 6 Pro
No, I meant the actual GSM network itself. I saw in the logs the info, ro.carrier=HTC-GER for example. I could also have it check just for tmous and if it doesn't match then it would run the progress bar for the DZ. I think that or just adding a menu selection are the easiest. I just need to be sure I can code it in and have it work. I have never tried to code and if within an if before.

In other news, I plan on opening a general discussion thread so this is kept more for dev-related discussion. I also think that we should have progress bars released soon.

nevyntanis

Jan 14, 2009
Very cool tool, thanks. ( Poetry not intended ;) )

Sent from my HTC Vision using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introducing the new G2/DZ All in One tool!
    This is a "wipe" tool for the G2/DZ with the following features: Nullifier, Formatter, Cache and Dalvik "wiper",
    and Error-Checker​

Each tool, minus the Cache and Dalvik portion, is customizable, that is to say, you can select the partitions you want targeted, and, in the case of the Nullifier, the number of wipes.

A little about each:

Nullifier: An in-depth (and true) wipe tool.

Formatter: Formats to ext4 and runs an error check afterwards.

Error-checker: Checks for errors and corrects as possible.

Cache and Dalvik "wiper": Not truly a "wiper", but it formats /cache and checks for any errors (see previous) then deletes the Dalvik cache.

For general questions and other info which may not be included here (in other words, if your answer isn't in this thread look in the general thread.) see: General Discussion, Q&A, and more info on The Nullifier

Link to file:

G2-AIO-V1.02

Thanks to:

dragon-son for getting me the needed info for the G2.
    and
    Matze5800 for getting me the needed info to ensure that this will not brick the DZ.
    Known issues:

1. No progress bar on the Nullifier. If people can send me logs I can see about adding this in.
    13 Oct: Have what I expect to be the next version out to my testers now.

2. Pressing the back button in the menu system causes AROMA to freeze, this seems to be a problem with AROMA itself. 13 Oct: Come to think of it, this may not be an issue and if so, may be solved with next release as it will have the new AROMA binary in it.

To come:

Working progress bars for the Vanilla G2 and the DZ/G2 with DZ hboot.

I may add a theme to it. I'm not a white background kind of guy.

New AROMA binary, won't really have any impact on what this does but may give better button responsiveness.

There is a very strong maybe that I may add the AROMA FM to this as well. I never thought of doing that until someone mentioned it in the AROMA thread recently, so I may take a look at what it requires and tinker with the one for my phone if my work stays dead. Wait, I think I see a zombie!!! No, no, no such luck.
    New version is almost ready. It's a big improvement over the one released in thread so far. It's themed, progress bars are working and 99.9% accurate, and the Aroma File Manager has been included as well(you can manage files in recovery) in this release. Looking forward to the new release, and with the new Jelly Belly beta why not have a new AIO release as well.
    Thanks!

Ok, so, here's a status update, the wipe times are consistent enough that if there's a variance it won't be so drastic that the progress bar is way off. I now just need to look into what I need to do to implement having two different codes, one for vanilla G2's, and one for DZ and G2's with DZ hboot, for the progress bars.

Loved this tool for my wife's G2x, love it even more on my G2. Keep in mind that the nullifier takes much longer than a normal wipe as it erases everything. Expect approx 10 minutes for a single pass and approx 20 mins for a double. Also remember the known issue with the process bar not moving, and expect to wait. Don't turn off your phone or reboot without installing a ROM. Also make sure you have enough battery or that your device is plugged in before starting.