[Tool] BROWSIX: Access your phone from any browser

Search This thread

spolfliet

Dec 9, 2010
Sint-Niklaas
www.browsix.com
I recently released Browsix. If you install my app, you can do the following from another PC in your local network:

• Download, upload, delete, rename,... all your files using the file manager (PC <=> Phone)
  • View your photos.
  • Listen to your music.
  • Watch your videos
  • Send and receive SMS messages

All you need is a regular browser on a PC in the same local network as your phone. Just point your PC's browser to www.browsix.com and you will be redirected to your phone (without configuring Bluetooth, USB cables,...). Sounds great?!

You can find Browsix in the Android market.
market://search?q=pname:com.browsix
qr-code.png

Thanks!
Stijn

Featured on

If you like Browsix, please post a good rating on the Android market. We really need your support.

Changelog

Browsix v2.2
- Contact Manager
- Tasker/Locale plugin
- Disable SMS popup notication
- Pictures for you contacts

Browsix v2.1.1
- Fixed corrupted file transfer for some large files. Uploading/downloading large video files should be working perfectly now
- SMS bugfix which caused some recent messages to not appear
- Faster SMS sync
- Auto focus when replying to message

Browsix v2.0:
- NEW SMS interface: threaded conversations
- Support for multipart (long) SMS messages
- Some other bugfixes

Browsix v1.9.1:
- Photo page: Option to sort by most recent or least recent
- Photo page: Added exit button to exit from fullscreen mode
- File manager: New upload progress bar
- Wifi dialog box when no internet connection is available
- Prevent IE8 from caching old stuff

Browsix v1.9
- New video playback (using quicktime plugin). This should be a lot more stable to play video files.
- Support for accented characters (é, ä, ...)
- Better height calculation for the Photos page
- Some other bugfixes

Browsix v1.8.1
- Smaller widget
- SMS to outbox bug
- Better file upload picker
- Cut/copy/paste option for file manager

Browsix v1.8
- New File Manager layout
- Added SMS Inbox and Outbox
- Browsix Home Widget
- Several bugfixes

Browsix v1.7
- Increased maximum file upload size for lite version.
- Browse your ROOT folders in the file manager.
- Layout improvements
- Several bugfixes (And one important fix: Browsix could not be disabled when you pushed the home or back button)

Browsix v1.6
- send/receive SMS messages in your browser!

Screenshot
screenshot-android.png
screenshot-android2.png

browsix-web1.png

browsix-web2.png

browsix-web3.png

browsix-web4.png

browsix-web5.png

browsix-web6.png

Our hosting provider is having problems sometimes. If you cannot reach www.browsix.com, please try typing the local IP address of your phone in your browser, as Browsix suggests.

Last edited:

Phateless

Aug 22, 2010
Oakland
www.llinkedin.com
Everyone, we just released Browsix. If you install this great tool you can browse all the files on your phone, using a regular browser. Just point your laptop our desktop's browser to www . browsix . com and you will be redirected to your phone. Sounds great?!

Check out www . browsix . com for on online demo and please let me know what features you would like to see in future releases.

Thanks!
Stijn

I REALLY want to check this out but you only have one post so I'm not totally convinced you aren't spam, lol. Can you embed the video in the thread?

Last edited:

spolfliet

Dec 9, 2010
Sint-Niklaas
www.browsix.com
Hi Guys,

I really appreciate your interest. Now it's up to me to convince you that we are not into spam :) I just thought it would be great if you could point your browser to a web page and then be redirected to your phone. That's why I developed this tool, and it took quite some time actually. Some more explanation: What we actually do is show a link on the browsix.com home page when the Browsix application is installed, you will notice that this is a local IP address (you have to be connected via Wifi). So if you click the link, you will be redirected to your phone, which will serve all the requests. The tool you install on your android phone is actually a lightweight webserver.

@Phateless: Did you try the top links on the home page. For instance, if you click the Photos link, you should see a photo slideshow. Did that not work for you? What browser are you using? Of course you will not see the photos on your phone :) You will have to install the application for that.

Just to make things clear: None of your data (photos, music, files, etc..) is stored on our server. We only store you local IP address.

We are still in early development so I really appreciate all your suggestions, bug reports, etc. And believe me, I'm not a spammer. Is there any another way for me to prove this?

Thanks,
Stijn

Last edited:

Phateless

Aug 22, 2010
Oakland
www.llinkedin.com
Hi Guys,

I really appreciate your interest. Now it's up to me to convince you that we are not into spam :) I just thought it would be great if you could point your browser to a web page and then be redirected to your phone. That's why I developed this tool, and it took quite some time actually. Some more explanation: What we actually do is show a link on the browsix.com home page when the Browsix application is installed, you will notice that this is a local IP address (you have to be connected via Wifi). So if you click the link, you will be redirected to your phone, which will serve all the requests. The tool you install on your android phone is actually a lightweight webserver.

@Phateless: Did you try the top links on the home page. For instance, if you click the Photos link, you should see a photo slideshow. Did that not work for you? What browser are you using? Of course you will not see the photos on your phone :) You will have to install the application for that.

Just to make things clear: None of your data (photos, music, files, etc..) is stored on our server. We only store you local IP address.

We are still in early development so I really appreciate all your suggestions, bug reports, etc. And believe me, I'm not a spammer. Is there any another way for me to prove this?

Thanks,
Stijn

Hi Stijn, I believe you now. :) Didn't realize you had to be connected via WIFI, I thought it was like Awesome Drop which operates via 3G. http://labs.dashwire.com/drop

Very excited to try this out when I get home!

spolfliet

Dec 9, 2010
Sint-Niklaas
www.browsix.com
Thanks to Phateless and some other forum members I released a new version with some exciting new features:

- Upload multiple files at the same time (also included in the free version)
- Intelligent prefetching for faster load times
- Unlimited upload size
- Rename/delete files
- Better error handling

For the upcoming version I have in mind:
- Password protection

What other features would you guys like to see?

Thanks,
Stijn

MLonon

Jul 17, 2009
Atlanta
Benefits over Awesome Drop.

Thanks to Phateless and some other forum members I released a new version with some exciting new features:

- Upload multiple files at the same time (also included in the free version)
- Intelligent prefetching for faster load times
- Unlimited upload size
- Rename/delete files
- Better error handling

For the upcoming version I have in mind:
- Password protection

What other features would you guys like to see?

Thanks,
Stijn

Not to be mean or anything like that but how is this different/better than Awesome Drop. I like more choices, I am just asking for your...sale pitch.

spolfliet

Dec 9, 2010
Sint-Niklaas
www.browsix.com
Not to be mean or anything like that but how is this different/better than Awesome Drop. I like more choices, I am just asking for your...sale pitch.

We go a few steps further. We have separate pages for photos, music and video where you can view your media. On top of that we provide a file manager that you can use to copy/manage files between a PC and your phone, in both ways :).

I also have an exciting new feature to announce!!
- The ability to send and receive SMS text messages in your browser.

I use it to respond to my text messages when my phone is on my desk and my browser is opened anyway.

This feature is still in BETA, so I hope I will get tons of feedback to further improve it.

See you later!

seboj

Jan 21, 2010
Atlanta
What's the difference between the lite and paid versions? Or is it a donate?

EDIT: Ah, nevermind. Found it on your website.

Paid version

The paid version has: Fullscreen support, Ads-free local pages, Extra file manager features and much more to come...

EDIT#2: I can't seem to get the lite version to work. My phone shows up on the webpage, but nothing happens when I click the link for it, or when I put the IP address in manually.

Last edited:

spolfliet

Dec 9, 2010
Sint-Niklaas
www.browsix.com
Yeah, I verified that I was on the same network. Tried rebooting and reconnecting everything as well.

It's started randomly force closing on me for the last few days, when it wasn't even open that I knew of.

Any ideas?

I think both your problems have something to do with the new SMS feature (are you both using android 2.2 ?).

A bit technical: I implemented a BroadcastReceiver for the SMS messages. This means that when you receive an SMS, the receiver upgrades a counter and stores some properties of the SMS so Browsix can use them. I will add some more error checking and publish a new version to the market. (EDIT The broadcastreceiver is now only registered when browsix is enabled)

If you still have the same problem with the new version, can someone check the output of LogCat? That would be a great help.

Thanks for your patience,
Stijn

EDIT: A new version is published to the market. Please let me know if it works for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phateless

Phateless

Aug 22, 2010
Oakland
www.llinkedin.com
I think both your problems have something to do with the new SMS feature (are you both using android 2.2 ?).

A bit technical: I implemented a BroadcastReceiver for the SMS messages. This means that when you receive an SMS, the receiver upgrades a counter and stores some properties of the SMS so Browsix can use them. I will add some more error checking and publish a new version to the market. (EDIT The broadcastreceiver is now only registered when browsix is enabled)

If you still have the same problem with the new version, can someone check the output of LogCat? That would be a great help.

Stijn

EDIT: A new version is published to the market. Please let me know if it works for you.

Thanks, will reinstall it.

Can you give me a basic on logcat? I've heard the term and I'm fairly comfortable with adb, just haven't used logcat yet.

Phateless

Aug 22, 2010
Oakland
www.llinkedin.com
You can use

Code:
adb logcat

to print out log messages. More information can be found at http://developer.android.com/guide/developing/tools/adb.html#logcat

I think we can find the problem if you use the following (this will print error messages, you will have to enable usb debugging on your phone):
Code:
adb logcat *:E

So I don't need to have logcat running WHILE the errors happen? Yeah I'm already rooted with debugging enabled. I've been nandroiding back and forth between Sense and CM6 about once or twice a week lately. MT4G.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I recently released Browsix. If you install my app, you can do the following from another PC in your local network:

• Download, upload, delete, rename,... all your files using the file manager (PC <=> Phone)
    • View your photos.
    • Listen to your music.
    • Watch your videos
    • Send and receive SMS messages

All you need is a regular browser on a PC in the same local network as your phone. Just point your PC's browser to www.browsix.com and you will be redirected to your phone (without configuring Bluetooth, USB cables,...). Sounds great?!

You can find Browsix in the Android market.
    market://search?q=pname:com.browsix
    qr-code.png

Thanks!
    Stijn

Featured on

If you like Browsix, please post a good rating on the Android market. We really need your support.

Changelog

Browsix v2.2
    - Contact Manager
    - Tasker/Locale plugin
    - Disable SMS popup notication
    - Pictures for you contacts

Browsix v2.1.1
    - Fixed corrupted file transfer for some large files. Uploading/downloading large video files should be working perfectly now
    - SMS bugfix which caused some recent messages to not appear
    - Faster SMS sync
    - Auto focus when replying to message

Browsix v2.0:
    - NEW SMS interface: threaded conversations
    - Support for multipart (long) SMS messages
    - Some other bugfixes

Browsix v1.9.1:
    - Photo page: Option to sort by most recent or least recent
    - Photo page: Added exit button to exit from fullscreen mode
    - File manager: New upload progress bar
    - Wifi dialog box when no internet connection is available
    - Prevent IE8 from caching old stuff

Browsix v1.9
    - New video playback (using quicktime plugin). This should be a lot more stable to play video files.
    - Support for accented characters (é, ä, ...)
    - Better height calculation for the Photos page
    - Some other bugfixes

Browsix v1.8.1
    - Smaller widget
    - SMS to outbox bug
    - Better file upload picker
    - Cut/copy/paste option for file manager

Browsix v1.8
    - New File Manager layout
    - Added SMS Inbox and Outbox
    - Browsix Home Widget
    - Several bugfixes

Browsix v1.7
    - Increased maximum file upload size for lite version.
    - Browse your ROOT folders in the file manager.
    - Layout improvements
    - Several bugfixes (And one important fix: Browsix could not be disabled when you pushed the home or back button)

Browsix v1.6
    - send/receive SMS messages in your browser!

Screenshot
    screenshot-android.png
    screenshot-android2.png

browsix-web1.png

browsix-web2.png

browsix-web3.png

browsix-web4.png

browsix-web5.png

browsix-web6.png

Our hosting provider is having problems sometimes. If you cannot reach www.browsix.com, please try typing the local IP address of your phone in your browser, as Browsix suggests.
    Bump - this is an awesome utility that everyone needs to try.
    Yeah, I verified that I was on the same network. Tried rebooting and reconnecting everything as well.

It's started randomly force closing on me for the last few days, when it wasn't even open that I knew of.

Any ideas?

Stijn

Nice App! Works great in my SGS!
    Could it be possible to create a widget to turn on/off the browsix?
    And about copy/paste and move of files feature ?
    Suggestion: Maybe an option to move folders around

Great suggestions, I will add them to my TODO list. I am getting some excellent feedback now, I will do my best to implement some new features asap.

On HD2, with SuperRAM 1.5 Mod,
    I see the phone listed on www.browsix.com, but clicking on it I got error message, will restart and report.
    If you have some spare time left, could you post logcat output? (See a few posts up for more information on how to do this)

Thanks!
    Stijn
    Thanks for the app. I tried the lite version and here's som initial feedback: ...
    Helpfull feedback, thanks!

Can you access and edit system files with this app?
    I have added the ability to browse system folders to the latest version. You should enable this feature on the advanced tab.