[Tool] Cwm nandbackup file Extractor ( .img/ .tar files )

Search This thread

venkat kamesh

Recognized Contributor
Jan 11, 2012
Tirupati
forum.xda-developers.com
CWM nandbackup files extractor ( .img/ .tar)

Here are the few things/ questions raised

The tool has been upgraded and you can get them here Utility tool

• How do i extract the data.ext4.tar ?
  • How to combine all the *.ext4.tar *.ext4.tar.a , *.ext4.tar.b, *.ext4.tar.c ?
  • How to get my applications / data from the backup filesof CWM ?

Don't worry for the above question you are facing. This tool will help you out.

Requirements

1. Java JDK :good:
  2. Need Patience :silly: :p :D

How to use

• Extract the tool.zip and follow up the pics and your work is done

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Hope this tool may help some one . and Don't Forget to hit thanks button. have fun

Last edited:

methuselah

• Aug 25, 2011
    needed from ages

well first of all congrats for this wonderful tool it was much needed right from the beginning. plus i like your profile pic lol its my fav "KICK"...:cowboy:

L

LastStandingDroid

i'll be waiting for os x version as well (since i don't always run windows)

great tool btw

and congrats for making it to the portal

dattafilthyd

Mar 5, 2012
    Error:'Tar' is not recognized as an internal or external command. And also 'cat'.
    Where do these commands exist? are they exe files present somewhere in the java jdk folder?

Before you ask. Yes i have installed java jdk.
    Do I have to setup the environment variables?

Last edited:

venkat kamesh

Recognized Contributor
    Jan 11, 2012
    Tirupati
    forum.xda-developers.com
    i'll be waiting for os x version as well (since i don't always run windows)

great tool btw

and congrats for making it to the portal

sure i will do that when i am free..........

will this work on twrp?
    or it has different backup file type?
    I just switched to twrp but not yet trying nandroid

I haven't tested but there is nothing more difference between the files. hope it works

Error:'Tar' is not recognized as an internal or external command.

Before you ask. Yes i have installed java jdk.
    Do I have to setup the environment variables?

the common softwares are 7z / winrar / winzip are minimum requirement ( i have not listed these because these are very commonly used by every user )

dattafilthyd

Mar 5, 2012
    The common softwares are 7z / winrar / winzip are minimum requirement ( i have not listed these because these are very commonly used by every user )

All of them are installed bro. (i.e 7z winrar and winzip)
    The bat file you've careated is unable to find 'tar' command. Is it necessary that i place it in a particular location like c drive as such.?
    ['tar' is not recognized as an internal or external command]
    suggestions?:)

EDIT: I used the cygwin terminal to concatenate [cat] the tar files and i was able to open them combined file via 7z and winrar.
    code: cat data.ext4.tar data.ext4.tar.a data.ext4.tar.b data.ext4.tar.c > datafull.tar

Thank you.

Last edited:

venkat kamesh

Recognized Contributor
    Jan 11, 2012
    Tirupati
    forum.xda-developers.com
    Only cwm or twrp too?

i havent tested but hope it works good ;)

All of them are installed bro. (i.e 7z winrar and winzip)
    The bat file you've careated is unable to find 'tar' command. Is it necessary that i place it in a particular location like c drive as such.?
    ['tar' is not recognized as an internal or external command]
    suggestions?:)

there is no particular location to be place.... :good:

may be binaries get corrupted try to install this tool :- http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/gtar.htm

it would help you out for using this tool ;)

jazzespresso

Jul 24, 2012
    NYC-USA
    You can also extract the data.img , system.img files on by placing the files to image files folder

Here is the download of the tool at bottom this post

Have fun

you know, this is an excellent utility, will come handy....what I always thought about is, converting andbackup files into flashable zip - say using your tool, you extracted, and then remove or add or made some changes on it, and then converting to flashable zip..., if you make an ultimate utility tool, imaging that you did nandroid backup of your stock ROM with custom recovery, having a tool to extract it (your utility), and then if you wish deodexed it, and then last step put all into CWM flashable zip....now if you combine all this steps, you will end up ultimate best utility tool ever... I f...king even pay or donate for it...

venkat kamesh

Recognized Contributor
    Jan 11, 2012
    Tirupati
    forum.xda-developers.com
    Error:'Tar' is not recognized as an internal or external command

you need to install 7zip/winzip ( any one of them ) read the previous post

please ready the posts so there you get a solution

you know, this is an excellent utility, will come handy....what I always thought about is, converting andbackup files into flashable zip - say using your tool, you extracted, and then remove or add or made some changes on it, and then converting to flashable zip..., if you make an ultimate utility tool, imaging that you did nandroid backup of your stock ROM with custom recovery, having a tool to extract it (your utility), and then if you wish deodexed it, and then last step put all into CWM flashable zip....now if you combine all this steps, you will end up ultimate best utility tool ever... I f...king even pay or donate for it...

thank you for your great idea which is very worth
    i had finally made that tool which has options like

1. extract data
    2.extract system
    3.deodex/ signed zip/zipalign
    4.odexed /signed zip/zipalign
    5.image file extraction
    6. signer
    7. odex/deodex invividual

the odex/deodex have different options like
    if you extract the system file. it ask an option to odex/deodex . if you need to deodex that it will continue to deodex / zipalign/ signed which will be worked. and same as with odex..

if you dont have any imagefile extracted . there is an option that you can pull from the device and works as same above process ;)

you can sign the zip/zipaline individually as per needed.

hopefully it works on all devices like ( sony, lg, samsung and almost all )
    no specification of roms ( every rom is supported )
    works for all version of android ( from 2.2 to 4.4.4)

thank you @jazzespresso for this idea

going to post as soon as possible

jazzespresso

Jul 24, 2012
    NYC-USA

1. extract data
    2.extract system
    5.image file extraction
    6. signer

if you extract the system file. it ask an option to odex/deodex . if you need to deodex that it will continue to deodex / zipalign/ signed which will be worked. and same as with odex..

if you dont have any imagefile extracted . there is an option that you can pull from the device and works as same above process ;)

yeah making it work for all devices going to be quit challenging, there are, as you may know, too many odex/deodex tools here in XDA, but none are bug free. In fact, I always end up some kind of error during deodexing, so this part is always painful process no matter what devices you have, and you know people using Windows, Linux, Mac..etc, this puts more complexity to entire process.
    but you have to start from somewhere, right?
    hopefully, this process of yours grow into some nice utility that combines all other tools into one.:good:
    Needless to say, good job and very much appreciated releasing it here in XDA community!

venkat kamesh

Recognized Contributor
    Jan 11, 2012
    Tirupati
    forum.xda-developers.com
    yeah making it work for all devices going to be quit challenging, there are, as you may know, too many odex/deodex tools here in XDA, but none are bug free. In fact, I always end up some kind of error during deodexing, so this part is always painful process no matter what devices you have, and you know people using Windows, Linux, Mac..etc, this puts more complexity to entire process.
    but you have to start from somewhere, right?
    hopefully, this process of yours grow into some nice utility that combines all other tools into one.:good:
    Needless to say, good job and very much appreciated releasing it here in XDA community!

that's some spread - the menu :D :good: bring it on!

thank you and here is a pic that i am testing all the things i found no errors and still testing ;)
    because it need to be perfect
    SYSTEM.jpg

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      CWM nandbackup files extractor ( .img/ .tar)

Here are the few things/ questions raised

The tool has been upgraded and you can get them here Utility tool

• How do i extract the data.ext4.tar ?
      • How to combine all the *.ext4.tar *.ext4.tar.a , *.ext4.tar.b, *.ext4.tar.c ?
      • How to get my applications / data from the backup filesof CWM ?

Don't worry for the above question you are facing. This tool will help you out.

Requirements

1. Java JDK :good:
      2. Need Patience :silly: :p :D

How to use

• Extract the tool.zip and follow up the pics and your work is done

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Hope this tool may help some one . and Don't Forget to hit thanks button. have fun
      Download

You can also extract the data.img , system.img files on by placing the files to image files folder

Have fun
      Error:'Tar' is not recognized as an internal or external command

you need to install 7zip/winzip ( any one of them ) read the previous post

please ready the posts so there you get a solution

1. extract data
      2.extract system
      5.image file extraction
      6. signer

Have fun

Perfect tool Thank you for your hard Word. Now everthing is very easy
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone