[Tool] Face Viewer v2.x

Search This thread

colective3

May 31, 2011
watch maker protection

since watch maker now has asset protection are you planning to update the app to counter this like you did with facer protection

Max_Pain

Oct 29, 2006
Miami, FL
I wasn't even aware that this had happened, but then again I've been pretty distant from what's going on with the watch development. I still use mine everyday, but haven't kept up with news.
I just realized also that WatchMaker now allows actions, so things like alternating looks can be made to happen with a clickable "button" on the face of the watch, or stop timers can be enabled/disabled. Pretty cool.

I'll see what exactly WatchMaker is doing and see if I can even circumvent it. Can you send me a couple of files you know are using that protection?

EDIT: Already started working on this. It's definitely a bit stronger than what Facer is using, but may be doable. We'll see, give me a couple of days to dig around.

Last edited:
Reactions: firegras and spigot

shawner47

Mar 23, 2011
This is an awesome program. I want to thank you for taking the time and effort to make it and share it with all of us.

Than being said, I do have a question. When I first opened it up, I was able to see all of my watch faces in my faces folder. Right now I have a total of 59, both Facer and WatchMaker. On subsequent restarts of the software though, I can only see 23 faces even though the folders for all of the faces are there. Is there something I am missing?

Thanks again and keep up the great work!

---------- Post added at 11:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 AM ----------

This is an awesome program. I want to thank you for taking the time and effort to make it and share it with all of us.

Than being said, I do have a question. When I first opened it up, I was able to see all of my watch faces in my faces folder. Right now I have a total of 59, both Facer and WatchMaker. On subsequent restarts of the software though, I can only see 23 faces even though the folders for all of the faces are there. Is there something I am missing?

Thanks again and keep up the great work!

I just want to reply to this myself and let everyone know that I figured it out. It seems I had a bad face in there. Once I removed it, I was able to see all of the other faces. Again, this is an amazing program and huge help. Thanks again! :beer:

Max_Pain

Oct 29, 2006
Miami, FL
Alright guys, sorry for the delay in getting to this. That other project is much more time consuming and I had to prioritize it. I'm done with that, so this week I'm going to work on getting this figured out.

I'm not so sure anymore that I'll be able to defeat WatchMaker's protection, but at the very least Face Viewer won't crash when you add them once I get done with this. Maybe more. We'll see what I can do.

I've noticed both WatchMaker and Facer have put out a lot of new revisions to their apps. Can someone export faces from both with protection enabled and send them my way so I can look at the latest protection?

Reactions: firegras

Max_Pain

Oct 29, 2006
Miami, FL
Thank you for your opinion. It's convenient for me and my wife, which is all I care about. It also seems to be convenient for several people on this forum.
If you can come up with a more convenient program to do the same, I'm interested ;)

Reactions: firegras

Max_Pain

Oct 29, 2006
Miami, FL
v2.1
- Added support for protected Watchmaker faces - all features should work except removing protection of the images and the watch code xml
- Added support for adding/editing face author for Watchmaker faces
- Improved renaming of watch face author across different Facer formats
- Various other improvements and bug fixes

I have spent a good while trying to understand just what the Watchmaker dev did to protect his files, and it doesn't look like i'm getting anywhere with that. So here's an update that at least handles the files without crashing, still has most functionality even with the protected Watchmaker files, but you can't edit the XML or the images. It also improves a few other things throughout the app, so it's recommended anyone using this program updates.

-------------------------------------

If anyone knows with certainty what the Watchmaker dev is doing to protect the XML I would love to hear from you. I decompiled the watchmaker apk and he seems to be using the standard Android Base64 Util class, but nothing I've tried is getting me a clear decoded XML file on my end with Visual Studio (i've also tested with various online decoding tools to make sure it wasn't a Studio limitation), so there's some further obfuscation going on besides the simple encoding to Base64 it looks like at first blush.

As far as the images, he's encrypting both the .jpg (to .pjpg) and the .png (to .ppng) images, and without knowing more information, decrypting them can be tough or impossible. It's not the simple Base64 protection that Facer uses. The encrypted headers for all the .pjpg images I've looked at is the same, so whatever encryption he's using, the encrypted values don't change from file to file, that's for sure. If you can shed light on this, that'd be great too.

Otherwise, we can work with the protected files but won't be able to edit them. I personally don't care about it, but I tried for you guys. Sucks I couldn't get beyond what I did.

mackerel76

Nov 19, 2014
Thanks a lot! As i use watchmaker all the time now, the most important things was not crashing the app with protected files!

illuminati5288

Feb 16, 2012
Ann Arbor
Hi Max, The app looks very useful. Could you please make one for Mac. Have you had any luck with decrypting the protected images.

Thanks

I have spent a good while trying to understand just what the Watchmaker dev did to protect his files, and it doesn't look like i'm getting anywhere with that. So here's an update that at least handles the files without crashing, still has most functionality even with the protected Watchmaker files, but you can't edit the XML or the images. It also improves a few other things throughout the app, so it's recommended anyone using this program updates.

-------------------------------------

If anyone knows with certainty what the Watchmaker dev is doing to protect the XML I would love to hear from you. I decompiled the watchmaker apk and he seems to be using the standard Android Base64 Util class, but nothing I've tried is getting me a clear decoded XML file on my end with Visual Studio (i've also tested with various online decoding tools to make sure it wasn't a Studio limitation), so there's some further obfuscation going on besides the simple encoding to Base64 it looks like at first blush.

As far as the images, he's encrypting both the .jpg (to .pjpg) and the .png (to .ppng) images, and without knowing more information, decrypting them can be tough or impossible. It's not the simple Base64 protection that Facer uses. The encrypted headers for all the .pjpg images I've looked at is the same, so whatever encryption he's using, the encrypted values don't change from file to file, that's for sure. If you can shed light on this, that'd be great too.

Otherwise, we can work with the protected files but won't be able to edit them. I personally don't care about it, but I tried for you guys. Sucks I couldn't get beyond what I did.

Max_Pain

Oct 29, 2006
Miami, FL
Considering I posted the update barely two days ago, no I haven't made any new progress.

I also don't have any experience with Mac, so I can't create a Mac version. If someone can port C# to Mac, PM me and I'll work with you on it.

HitchslapHTC

Jun 13, 2013
Thanks a lot for that app, it's really useful since I collected a lot of watch files!
There are no issues with .face and .watch files, some zips are causing some problems though. The app doesn't crash or give an error message, it just keeps on trying to extract the file endlessly. Cancelling the Face Viewer process doesn't help either (normal closing isn't possible during the extraction process), the app just continues to try the extraction when I start it again. Now I can just delete the whole Face Viewer folder and redownload it? Isn't there something like a timeout missing?

Plus when I delete the files of those watches that don't seem to work, Face Viewer still tries to display them. I can't even delete them in the Face Viewer list because then the same endless process starts.

What can I do?

Thanks again for the app, I hope you keep maintaining it a little!

Attachments

• FaceViewer_log.txt
    193 bytes · Views: 81
Last edited:

brchickery

Dec 17, 2011
Just wanted to take the time to come here and thank you for this awesome program. It works flawlessly for me. Loaded up 100 watchfaces and easily imported exported and installed in minutes. This really is a game changer.

Checked your post and profile and didnt see a donation address. Do you have a bitcoin address so I can buy you a cup of coffee?

Max_Pain

Oct 29, 2006
Miami, FL
Thanks a lot for that app, it's really useful since I collected a lot of watch files!
There are no issues with .face and .watch files, some zips are causing some problems though. The app doesn't crash or give an error message, it just keeps on trying to extract the file endlessly. Cancelling the Face Viewer process doesn't help either (normal closing isn't possible during the extraction process), the app just continues to try the extraction when I start it again. Now I can just delete the whole Face Viewer folder and redownload it? Isn't there something like a timeout missing?

Plus when I delete the files of those watches that don't seem to work, Face Viewer still tries to display them. I can't even delete them in the Face Viewer list because then the same endless process starts.

What can I do?

Thanks again for the app, I hope you keep maintaining it a little!

Definitely sounds like I forgot something along the way. I barely see faces in .zip format so I probably forgot. Can you link me to a couple of .zip files so I can check on my end?

Just wanted to take the time to come here and thank you for this awesome program. It works flawlessly for me. Loaded up 100 watchfaces and easily imported exported and installed in minutes. This really is a game changer.

Checked your post and profile and didnt see a donation address. Do you have a bitcoin address so I can buy you a cup of coffee?

There isn't one because I don't expect or seek out donations. I'm glad to hear it worked for you. Enjoy it.

I like hearing positive feedback. Most of the times on this and other contributions I make to various communities I'm in, the download numbers go up but posts only seem to come when there is a problem :eek:

Reactions: spigot

spigot

Aug 12, 2007
I like hearing positive feedback. Most of the times on this and other contributions I make to various communities I'm in, the download numbers go up but posts only seem to come when there is a problem :eek:
There's no need for words. :) Your app is very helpful and one of a kind. Thank you.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I had over 150 watch faces on my PC and it was difficult to find what I was looking for at any given point. So I did what I always do, made a simple program to help me stay organized.

faceviewerv2.jpg

Code:
    FEATURES / CHANGE LOG:

v2.1.1
    (restored after hard drive crash - should have everything that v2.1 did)
    - Changed Imgur authorization ID since old one was no longer valid
    - Minor changes to the UI and minor code tweaks

----------

v2.1
    - Added support for protected Watchmaker faces - all features should work except removing protection of the images and the watch code xml
    - Added support for adding/editing face author for Watchmaker faces
    - Improved renaming of watch face author across different Facer formats
    - Various other improvements and bug fixes

----------

v2.0
    - Added ability to batch export all faces at once - click on the Batch Process menu and select 'Export all faces' - remember you can also select multiple faces by holding down Control and then right-clicking to export only the selected faces
    - Added ability to batch create preview images for all faces at once - click on the Batch Process menu and select 'Create preview images'
    - Added ability to find all protected Facer watch faces - click on the Filters menu, then 'Find protected Facer watch faces'
    - Added ability to remove protection from Facer files so they can be exported as an unprotected .face file and then imported into WatchMaker - just right-click on the face you want to remove protection from and click 'Remove protection', now you can export it
    - Added ability to batch remove protection from Facer files - click on the Batch Process menu and select 'Remove Facer protection'
    - Added ability to search for duplicate watch faces (based on face name) - click on the Filters menu and select 'Find duplicate watch faces'
    - Added ability to sort faces by date added (newest to oldest or oldest to newest) or by face name (A to Z or Z to A) - click on the Sorting menu and select your preferred sorting method
    - Added ability to color code the watch faces in the list using the Facer and WatchMaker colors respectively (enabled by default) - to enable/disable, click on the Options menu and then 'Color code watch faces in list'
    - Protected Facer watch faces will display a lock icon on the preview image for easy identification (but won't be exported in the preview image)
    - Added ability to drag and drop .face, .watch and .zip files to the program - it'll copy them over to the folder where you keep your watch faces (or use the default folder if you don't have a custom one) and it will import the faces for you
    - Added ability to just drag and drop one or multiple faces to the FaceViewer exe or shortcut and it'll load your existing files, then automatically import the face(s) you drag/dropped to it. If you're sorting by date added, they will be at the top of your face list
    - Added ability to right-click on the Imgur link in the log and open the Imgur link in your default browser
    - Added ability to delete a face by pressing the delete key on your keyboard - you're still prompted to confirm, and also works with multiple selected files - remember you can hold down Control while clicking or holding down Shift while pressing the up or down keys to select multiple faces
    - Added ability to cancel any on-going process so you don't stay stuck if something goes wrong
    - Improved behavior so when searching for face files it won't get stuck with old/poorly zipped faces that have an extra folder where the watch face files should be
    - Improved behavior so when you have multiple watch faces selected you can right click without holding down the Control key and won't lose your selection
    - Fixed displaying of face names for new WatchMaker files that were displaying names incorrectly
    - Fixed bug where faces without images would still allow you to 'Edit images' and would crash
    - Rearranged filters to the menu - to filter your list of watch faces, click on the Filters menu then use one of the various choices to narrow your list of watch faces - to reset the filters to default behavior click on 'Reset all filters'
    - Various other improvements and adjustments to the GUI and code

----------

v1.1
    - Added feature to edit or add author name to a face - right-click and select 'Edit face author'
    - Face searching is now recursive by default - this means you can have your watch faces organized in multiple folders, nested however you want. Just feed Face Viewer the parent folder and it'll find them all for you (be sensible - if you put Face Viewer to search your entire C:\ drive you're going to have a bad time)
    - Added option to enable/disable recursive search and option to display/hide the face author name if available
    - Added several new overlays for other smart watches: LG G Watch R, LG G Watch, Asus ZenWatch and Sony SmartWatch 2 - right-click on the preview image and select the overlay you want
    - Added ability to have no overlay and just see the preview image bare - right-click on the preview image and select 'None'
    - Added ability to use your own overlay - create a 500x500 PNG file using the provided ones as a template and drag and drop it on the preview image - it will be applied and saved, and now you can select it by right-clicking on the preview image
    - Program will remember which preview overlay (or none) you used last in case you always use something other than the stock Moto 360 overlay
    - Added ability to specify the background color for the preview images - right-click on the preview image and select 'Change background color' 
    - Several GUI fixes and improvements

----------

v1.0 - Initial Public Release
    WHAT DOES IT DO?
    It allows you to put all your watch faces (extracted folders, .zip, .face and .watch files) in one folder, so that reduces clutter. Once you've told the program which folder has your watch faces, it will:
    - list them all in alphabetical order
    - show you a preview image of the face
    - allow you to search for any word or part of a word in the face name or the creator name (some faces store that information)
    - allow you to filter the faces by Facer or WatchMaker faces only, or both
    - allow you to filter faces by analog, digital, or mixed (contains both elements)
    - allow you to manually set whether a face is analog, digital or mixed (in case the auto detection fails or for faces with misused tags)
    - allow you to mark as and filter by Favorites
    - allow you to delete one or multiple faces from within the program
    - allow you to rename a face (this will carry over when exporting)
    - allow you export one or multiple faces (it'll choose .face or .watch based on type)
    - allow you to "explore" a face - opens that face folder in Windows Explorer so you can manually edit it
    - allow you to "Edit images" - adds .png extension to images, and opens the images folder in Windows Explorer
    - allow you to save the preview composite image locally or upload it to Imgur for displaying of previews with the nice background I created or your own (replace overlay.png in the /bin folder)

WHAT DOES IT NOT DO?
    This was meant to be a quick programming effort on my part to simplify my life, so here are the fun things it won't do:
    - It WILL NOT (and I won't add support for it, so please don't bother asking) allow you to create or modify the layout or design of the faces. Use the respective programs to create/modify them
    - It WILL NOT (and I won't add support for it, so please don't bother asking) convert from WatchMaker to Facer or from Facer to WatchMaker. The creator of Facer does not want to import WatchMaker files, and is not happy with the fact that the creator of WatchMaker is importing Facer files. I won't get mixed up in that mess.

WHAT DO YOU NEED?
    Modern Windows (tested on 8.1 Pro) and .NET Framework 4.0 or newer. That should be it. If anything else is required, please let me know so I can list it here.

DOWNLOAD
    Face Viewer v2.1.1
    Face Viewer v2.1

So yeah, this isn't going to change anyone's life, but it's been useful to my wife and I, so I thought I would share it with you guys. Hopefully it works for you.

Version v2.1.1 was only created to help me recover the lost source code. I have no intentions to continue working on this tool and will not be addressing any issues with it.
    If v2.1.1 has issues, go back to v2.1 - but it should be fine.

OUTDATED - READ BELOW!!!

Some very helpful users have taken over the source code and will be posting updated versions of the program on this thread. Obviously they can't edit this OP, so please check the last few pages of the thread to make sure you're getting the latest version!
    FaceViewer V3.1 now available

I fixed it in the source code. It's been there forever as far as I could tell. Since I have a Moto 360, I never noticed it. Just have to wait on Louis to compile and release a new version. Louis is currently gone on holiday/vacation, but he said he'll release the compiled version when he gets back.

@xuser, Please try creating a brand new folder with the latest version and try only a couple watch faces.

New version available.

DOWNLOAD
    FaceViewer V3.1

Code:
    FEATURES / CHANGE LOG:
    V3.1 Credit @cybrstudd
    -Fixed overlay not displaying last used overlay on application startup.

V3.0 Credit @cybrstudd
    -Code cleanup and optimization with a little more logging info during optimization of faces
    -Optimization now removes any duplicate images found in the images folder for WatchMaker faces
    -Added option to optimize individual watches in right-click menu and with Ctrl+O
    -Added other hot keys for changing the watch style tagging (analog (A), digital (D), mixed(M)) as well as for toggling favorites (F)
    -Made Log list larger to be able to read longer lines which also allowed watch list to be slightly longer as well
    -Watch list now auto-sizes the column width to fit the watch name
    -Fixed watches not optimizing on export correctly if optimize on export was selected

----------

V2.9 Credit @cybrstudd
    -Added Huawei watch faces for overlays
    -Fixed nopreview image from only working on some overlays

----------

V2.8 Credit @cybrstudd
    -Bug Fixes & Code Optimization
    [HIDE]
    -Fixed dim icon not being transparent
    -Fixed description rich text box not moving when form is re-sized
    -Added path to show watch face path (helpful when sorting duplicate watch faces)
    -Allow optimize on import/export settings to be saved
    -Allow both optimize on import and export to be checked at the same time
    -Fixed watch face list selection from changing after an operation is performed
    -Show space savings from optimization (only if there was savings)
    -If optimize on import is selected and protection is removed from a watch face, optimize the PNG images after removing protection[/HIDE]

----------

V2.7
    -Changed Application to 64-Bit
    -Updated DevIL.dll to 64-Bit
    -Replaced nQuant with [URL="http://psydk.org/pngoptimizer"]PngOptimizerDll[/URL]

----------

V2.6
    -Fixed Bug with watches that contained .pjpg
    -Added nQuant PNG image Optimization
    -Only one of the following 2 can be selected at a time (Selection resets after application restarts)
       -Added "Optimize on import" option
       -Added "Optimize on export" option
    -Added "Optimize all watch faces" batch process

----------

v2.5
    -Added ability to view dimmed preview image if available
    -Added description box  to show description if available
    -Added ability to change the description (Right Click -> Edit face description)
    -Keep selected watch after renaming (Name or Description)

----------

v2.4
    -Restored 7zip DLL as ZipFile was using an incorrect encryption method preventing WatchMaker from successfully importing the .watch file

----------

v2.3
    -Improved decryption and matching of watch faces
    -Added ability to remove WatchMaker protection [Use at own risk and only on your own legally owned watch faces]*
    -Added warning for large zip files
    -Added 'Auto Approve Large Zip Files' option

----------

v2.2
    -Upgraded to .NET Framework 4.5
    -Added ability to Import Zip files in the format of WatchMaker
    -Added 'Instant Search' Option
    -Removed 7zip, using native .NET Library

----------

Please see OP for older versions Features & Changes

*I will not be held liable for the inappropriate use of this functionality.
    FaceViewer V3.0 now available

New version available.

DOWNLOAD
    FaceViewer V3.0

Code:
    FEATURES / CHANGE LOG:
    V3.0 Credit @cybrstudd
    -Code cleanup and optimization with a little more logging info during optimization of faces
    -Optimization now removes any duplicate images found in the images folder for WatchMaker faces
    -Added option to optimize individual watches in right-click menu and with Ctrl+O
    -Added other hot keys for changing the watch style tagging (analog (A), digital (D), mixed(M)) as well as for toggling favorites (F)
    -Made Log list larger to be able to read longer lines which also allowed watch list to be slightly longer as well
    -Watch list now auto-sizes the column width to fit the watch name
    -Fixed watches not optimizing on export correctly if optimize on export was selected

----------

V2.9 Credit @cybrstudd

----------

V2.8 Credit @cybrstudd
    [HIDE]
    -Added path to show watch face path (helpful when sorting duplicate watch faces)
    -If optimize on import is selected and protection is removed from a watch face, optimize the PNG images after removing protection[/HIDE]

----------

V2.7
    -Replaced nQuant with [URL="http://psydk.org/pngoptimizer"]PngOptimizerDll[/URL]

----------

V2.6
    -Only one of the following 2 can be selected at a time (Selection resets after application restarts)

----------

v2.5

----------

v2.4
    -Restored 7zip DLL as ZipFile was using an incorrect encryption method preventing WatchMaker from successfully importing the .watch file

----------

v2.3
    -Added ability to remove WatchMaker protection [Use at own risk and only on your own legally owned watch faces]*

----------

v2.2
    -Upgraded to .NET Framework 4.5

----------

FaceViewer V2.9 now available

Hello.
    Thank you for the very nice Tool.
    Any question: could you the Huawei Watch with accommodation. I hope you understand what I mean.
    Google translator. ;)
    Thanks

P.S. so I mean: change watch overlay

I'll take a look and see what I can do. Since we're not the original creators of this tool, I don't have the original background image of the wood table (and I couldn't find it online), so it will end up being a different background, but it should be able to be done.

New version available.

DOWNLOAD
    FaceViewer V2.9

Code:
    FEATURES / CHANGE LOG:
    V2.9 Credit @cybrstudd

----------

V2.8 Credit @cybrstudd
    [HIDE]

----------

V2.7

----------

V2.6

----------

v2.5

----------

v2.4

----------

v2.3

----------

v2.2
    *Requires .NET Framework 4.5

----------

Here we go guys, the long-awaited update is in the OP.

This is really a MAJOR update, just take a look at the change log.
    Hopefully everything works, I've spent four days working on everything added and changed and testing, but you know how it goes.
    I'll be around to fix bugs for the next couple of weeks before I go back to my other projects, so let me know if you find something broken in this version and I'll fix it.

NOTE:
    This is a major update. I strongly recommend starting from scratch (i.e. extract it in a different folder than your old installation so you're not using the old config file).

NOTE:
    The Facer protection removal works in theory, meaning I don't see why it wouldn't work on WatchMaker or Facer after a face has the protection removed...but you tell me.

If a new protection is used by the Facer dev, let me know and I'll see if it's something I can work with. For now, I've only come across "protection_type:0", and that is dealt with in this version of Face Viewer.

I hope that answers all the requests and bug reports I've come across since v1.1 came out 1.5 months ago.

Enjoy.