[TOOL] Framework Flasher 1.1.4 (1/14/12) - Easily modify and flash framework-res.apk

Search This thread

wesf90

Dec 27, 2011
Finally! After days of struggling to figure out how to modify my ROM's framework-res.apk and create a working flashable update.zip to install the framework-res.apk changes, I have finally figured out how (big thanks to the guys here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=20962080#post20962080) and have created an automated script to help others struggling with the same problem.

Framework Flasher 1.1.4
Feel free to download and experiment with it. This is my first gift to the XDA/Android Hacking community, and I plan on doing more. I just want to test the waters for now :) Feedback would be nice. Let me know if I've helped you in some way!

---------------------------

What does it do?
It extracts your framework-res.apk file and allows you to edit the files. After editing, the script will compile, sign the apk, create your update.zip with the correct structure for flashing, and then sign the .zip. Everything you need to modify and flash your framework-res.apk file.

How do I use it?
Download the .zip from the link below and extract it somewhere on your PC. Drag the framework-res.apk file that you want to modify and/or flash into the /place-framework-res-here/ directory. Double-click on RunMe.bat and off you go! Do the steps (1-5) in order and you shouldn't have any problems.

Who needs this?
A LOT of people according to how many google searches I did in the past 3-4 days.

Will it work for files other than framework-res.apk?
Currently, no. However it would be easy to implement that functionality if I saw that people would benefit from it.

I found a bug... what do I do?
Post it in this topic. I'll do what I can to make continual updates as long as I see people are benefiting from it. I'm sure there are bugs in it somewhere, so just let me know.

Where do I download this snazzy piece of software?
http://www.mediafire.com/?1nc14hkhs2yrqmt

The little disclaimer
If you download this tool, please say thanks! Not only does it motivate me to continue to improve this software, but it also let's me know how many users are using it! Thanks!
This script is mainly intended for use with editing script files (xml, etc.), and normal (non 9png) images. 9pngs have been successfully repacked using this tool! If you run into any problems, be sure to make it known!
This tools was created to work with the Droid X2. If you are experiencing problems using it, first ensure that you are in fact using a Droid X2.

Last edited:

wesf90

Dec 27, 2011
Change Log
1.1.4 (1/14/12)
- Corrected the Log error. You can now see error logs!
- Corrected an error processing problem where Framework Flasher would instantly close without warning

1.1 (1/7/12)
- Made compatibility tweaks
- Removed unnecessary overhead

1.0 (1/6/12)
- Initial Release

When reporting errors, please ensure that there are no spaces in your file path, and include what ROM and version you are running.

Last edited:

PoorCollegeGuy

Account currently disabled
Dec 18, 2011
Columbus
twitter.com
Hello :)

This is an awesome little tool you got here. I haven't tried it yet but I'll likely give it a shot eventually.

You should add functionality for SystemUI.apk, that's the other "real big" file people like to edit. Just a suggestion based on what I know about theming :)

Very nice!

Reactions: midvik

Kevin3328

Sep 1, 2011
Connecticut
So r u telling me this will modify everything including the. 9 png images..also can u get into the xml files as well or images only...i use apk manager and with the. 9 pngs u cannot touch the 9 patches or change the image without using draw 9 patch to ensure the apk will recompile

Sent from my DROID X2 using xda premium

Last edited:

wesf90

Dec 27, 2011

This is an awesome little tool you got here. I haven't tried it yet but I'll likely give it a shot eventually.

You should add functionality for SystemUI.apk, that's the other "real big" file people like to edit. Just a suggestion based on what I know about theming :)

Very nice!

Thanks. I will definitely look into adding this. I'll update the OP with any changes or updates.

So r u telling me this will modify everything including the. 9 png images..also can u get into the xml files as well or images only...i use apk manager and with the. 9 pngs u cannot touch the 9 patches or change the image without using draw 9 patch to ensure the apk will recompile

Not tested 9pngs with this, it's mainly intended for scripting (xml files, etc. along with normal non 9png images). I've updated the OP to include a little disclaimer stating this fact. Thanks for pointing that out.

hedwig34

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 25, 2011
Pittsburgh
www.teamoctos.com
.9.png seems to work

Thanks Wesf90 for the tool. I was curious about the .9.png myself. Looking at the script it decompiles and compiles using apktool just like the apkmanager script does so just by looking at your RunMe.bat it looks like it would be fine. I did test it out to be sure though. So I took the framework-res from eclipse 2.0.3 changes some 9.png files and recompiled without any issues. It is important to note that you need to be careful when editing 9.png files to NOT change the black "patches" around the edge of those images. Doing so will cause bad patches and will generate errors when re-compiling. So for example if you apply a filter to the entire image double check that the color value of the black patches are still 000000 (I've done this :rolleyes:). If you don't mess with the patches all should be fine. It also depends on the original framework-res you are starting with. If you use one that has broken 9.pngs in it to start then you will need to fix them before re-compiling (I've done this too :rolleyes:).

Nice work. I especially like that step 4 that creates the update.zip. That is not in apkmanager that I've been using. So following steps 1,2,3,4 sure does make it simpler for a beginner which was your goal. Keep up the good work!

Reactions: AndyOpie150

wesf90

Dec 27, 2011
Thanks Wesf90 for the tool. I was curious about the .9.png myself. Looking at the script it decompiles and compiles using apktool just like the apkmanager script does so just by looking at your RunMe.bat it looks like it would be fine. I did test it out to be sure though. So I took the framework-res from eclipse 2.0.3 changes some 9.png files and recompiled without any issues. It is important to note that you need to be careful when editing 9.png files to NOT change the black "patches" around the edge of those images. Doing so will cause bad patches and will generate errors when re-compiling. So for example if you apply a filter to the entire image double check that the color value of the black patches are still 000000 (I've done this :rolleyes:). If you don't mess with the patches all should be fine. It also depends on the original framework-res you are starting with. If you use one that has broken 9.pngs in it to start then you will need to fix them before re-compiling (I've done this too :rolleyes:).

Nice work. I especially like that step 4 that creates the update.zip. That is not in apkmanager that I've been using. So following steps 1,2,3,4 sure does make it simpler for a beginner which was your goal. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the test run. I've updated to OP to state that 9pngs have been tested.

Creating the update.zip was the hardest part for me, learning how to use update-script and updater-script. Hopefully this will help everyone else get on the right path.

XT69

Jan 23, 2011
is it possible, that after the editing was done, to simply push the framework to its place? without flashing recovery?

Kevin3328

Sep 1, 2011
Connecticut
Dude XDA did a writeup on this.. but the article states there is no. 9 compatibility .... which is not true your program decompiles just like apk manager and apk tool do... .9 can be edited the patches simply can't be touched.. making this an awesome little tool !!!

zaxondis

Aug 11, 2010
New York City
Sweet tool, just what I've been looking for

Just wanted to drop in and say thanks for this tool (button hit, donation forthcoming).

I tried this with my framework-res file from and ICS 4.0.1 ROM I'm running and it decompiles perfectly, but after I make edits and try and recompile, the script just closes.

I tried looking at the log in the folder of the tool and it didn't have any information except the date/time I ran the script.

Any thoughts? Would love to make use of this if you think it should work for me. Thanks again!

wesf90

Dec 27, 2011
is it possible, that after the editing was done, to simply push the framework to its place? without flashing recovery?

Yes, definitely possible if you have ADB access. I may add this feature, but the idea of the tool is primarily to allow users to create a flash-able file for their's, or others', phones. I'll put it on my to-do list though :)

Dude XDA did a writeup on this.. but the article states there is no. 9 compatibility .... which is not true your program decompiles just like apk manager and apk tool do... .9 can be edited the patches simply can't be touched.. making this an awesome little tool !!!

Yeah I noticed that about the 9pngs in the article, however several people (including yourself) have stated that 9png's work fine. So hopefully XDA will eventually update the post.

Just wanted to drop in and say thanks for this tool (button hit, donation forthcoming).

I tried this with my framework-res file from and ICS 4.0.1 ROM I'm running and it decompiles perfectly, but after I make edits and try and recompile, the script just closes.

I tried looking at the log in the folder of the tool and it didn't have any information except the date/time I ran the script.

Any thoughts? Would love to make use of this if you think it should work for me. Thanks again!

Interesting. I plan on releasing another update soon, so send me the file you tried (I sent you a PM), I plan on weeding out small bugs quickly. Once the update is ready, hopefully I can have this bug fixed (or at least resolved)

Wes

Last edited:

locomain

Jul 24, 2011
Vorden

had the same here!
other then that great tool

Kevin3328

Sep 1, 2011
Connecticut
Ok to u guys having this happen... try to decompile and them recompile immediately ... if this works odds are u damaged a .9 png... those images have a black 1 pixel boarder that cannot be touched

wesf90

Dec 27, 2011
Maybe a dumb question but do we flash this in recovery or is this for pc use?Thanks I been itching to try this on my Iced Sam Vib...

Yes, you're absolutely correct. Once you go through the steps and create the update.zip file, simple place that file onto your sd card. Then flash the .zip in recovery.

Wes

Reactions: Dougfresh

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Finally! After days of struggling to figure out how to modify my ROM's framework-res.apk and create a working flashable update.zip to install the framework-res.apk changes, I have finally figured out how (big thanks to the guys here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=20962080#post20962080) and have created an automated script to help others struggling with the same problem.

Framework Flasher 1.1.4
    Feel free to download and experiment with it. This is my first gift to the XDA/Android Hacking community, and I plan on doing more. I just want to test the waters for now :) Feedback would be nice. Let me know if I've helped you in some way!

---------------------------

What does it do?
    It extracts your framework-res.apk file and allows you to edit the files. After editing, the script will compile, sign the apk, create your update.zip with the correct structure for flashing, and then sign the .zip. Everything you need to modify and flash your framework-res.apk file.

How do I use it?
    Download the .zip from the link below and extract it somewhere on your PC. Drag the framework-res.apk file that you want to modify and/or flash into the /place-framework-res-here/ directory. Double-click on RunMe.bat and off you go! Do the steps (1-5) in order and you shouldn't have any problems.

Who needs this?
    A LOT of people according to how many google searches I did in the past 3-4 days.

Will it work for files other than framework-res.apk?
    Currently, no. However it would be easy to implement that functionality if I saw that people would benefit from it.

I found a bug... what do I do?
    Post it in this topic. I'll do what I can to make continual updates as long as I see people are benefiting from it. I'm sure there are bugs in it somewhere, so just let me know.

Where do I download this snazzy piece of software?
    http://www.mediafire.com/?1nc14hkhs2yrqmt

The little disclaimer
    If you download this tool, please say thanks! Not only does it motivate me to continue to improve this software, but it also let's me know how many users are using it! Thanks!
    This script is mainly intended for use with editing script files (xml, etc.), and normal (non 9png) images. 9pngs have been successfully repacked using this tool! If you run into any problems, be sure to make it known!
    This tools was created to work with the Droid X2. If you are experiencing problems using it, first ensure that you are in fact using a Droid X2.
    Change Log
    1.1.4 (1/14/12)
    - Corrected the Log error. You can now see error logs!
    - Corrected an error processing problem where Framework Flasher would instantly close without warning

1.1 (1/7/12)
    - Made compatibility tweaks
    - Removed unnecessary overhead

1.0 (1/6/12)
    - Initial Release

When reporting errors, please ensure that there are no spaces in your file path, and include what ROM and version you are running.
    Updated to 1.1.4a

Hey there!

I've just updated & packed Framework Flasher as per fralken guidelines. Pushed to version 1.1.4a

Enjoy! :highfive:
    Corrected and updated the tool to v 1.1.4b

Corrected errors in RunMe.bat and updated the tool with latest apktool v2.0.1 and faapt v2 by Chainfire.
    Cheers!!:highfive:
    Tool works fine now!:):)

Very nice!

Thanks. I will definitely look into adding this. I'll update the OP with any changes or updates.

Not tested 9pngs with this, it's mainly intended for scripting (xml files, etc. along with normal non 9png images). I've updated the OP to include a little disclaimer stating this fact. Thanks for pointing that out.