[TOOL] HuaweiUpdater - Update to EMUI 9 without changing DNS

Search This thread

Smaehtin

May 8, 2017
Copying from my previous post:

I made a tool to "force update" my phone (Honor View 10, European/C432 model), and I thought I'd share it in case anybody wants to give it a try.

Notes
  • It is Windows-only (Specifically Windows 10 (64-bit), build 1809, although it probably works fine for most/all other versions of Windows)
  • It requires .NET Framework to be installed on your computer. It can be downloaded from here
  • It might cause some anti-virus programs to flag it due to the nature of the tool (although nothing on VirusTotal detects it as malware)
  • Currently, a lot of stuff is hard-coded (source code available below), including the path to HiSuite.exe. If the path to your HiSuite installation isn't "C:\Program Files (x86)\HiSuite\HiSuite.exe" (or "C:\Program Files\HiSuite\HiSuite.exe" in the case of 32-bit Windows), the tool won't work
  • It's currently only supposed to work with the BKL-L09 (C432) model. Do not use this tool if you do not have the BKL-L09 (C432) model
  • If you are on 32-bit Windows (your HiSuite installation path is "C:\Program Files\HiSuite" instead of "C:\Program Files (x86)\HiSuite"), download the HuaweiUpdaterWin32.7z file. Otherwise, download the regular HuaweiUpdater.7z file

And, of course, please use the tool at your own risk. I'm not responsible if the update somehow ends up breaking your phone.

Usage
  1. Connect your phone to your computer through USB
  2. Before proceeding, make sure HiSuite isn't running. Open Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del -> Task Manager or Ctrl+Shift+Escape) and make sure "Huawei PC Suite" (hisuite.exe) isn't running. If it's running, right-click and select "End Task" to kill the process
  3. Run "Launcher.exe" and HiSuite should open
  4. Click on the "Update" button. There should be a red dot on it
  5. Wait for HiSuite to finish installing the update on your phone

Source code can be found here: https://github.com/Smaehtin/HuaweiUpdater

Attachments

• HuaweiUpdater.7z
    180.3 KB · Views: 1,443
  • HuaweiUpdaterWin32.7z
    180.2 KB · Views: 533

ifek

Dec 15, 2010
Zagreb
The procedure worked like a charm! I'm on Pie now :)
All apps and settings stayed untouched, no factory reset.

br54

You sir are amazing..tyvm

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181231_200259.jpg
    Screenshot_20181231_200259.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 1,016

kavee.gauravjoshi

Nov 21, 2016
Pune, Maharashtra
Realme GT
Realme GT 2
Here's a version that should work for the Indian (C675) variant.
I will try this today. Btw, can you just elaborate what is your approach for this solution? I mean the other Firmware finder solution masks your DNS and then updates the firmware and ROM. 2hat does your solution do? I am not a developer but just wanted to know how does it actually work. If it's too technical or difficult to explain, let it be. Just being curious. Thanks and happy new year dude :)

Smaehtin

May 8, 2017
I will try this today. Btw, can you just elaborate what is your approach for this solution? I mean the other Firmware finder solution masks your DNS and then updates the firmware and ROM. 2hat does your solution do? I am not a developer but just wanted to know how does it actually work. If it's too technical or difficult to explain, let it be. Just being curious. Thanks and happy new year dude :)

The way the FunkyHuawei and Firmware Finder method works is by you configuring your network to use their DNS server. A DNS server is what is used on the internet for "resolving" a domain name (like google.com, .xda-developers.com, hicloud.com, etc.) into an IP address. So, when a "client" (either your computer when using HiSuite to check for updates or your phone) asks for the IP address of query.hicloud.com (used for update checking), instead of giving you the IP address of Huawei's update server like a normal DNS server would, it gives you the IP address of FunkyHuawei/Firmware Finder's update server.
So now, whenever you do an update check, you're not talking with Huawei's update server but a "fake" server, but your phone/computer isn't aware of this (well ...), and when your phone/computer asks this server if updates are available and if your phone is allowed to install the update, the server will just say "Yeah, here's the update, go ahead and install it".

My method is similar in some ways. What it does is "hooking" the HiSuite process. This allows my tool to intercept and alter communication between HiSuite and Huawei's update server, and by spoofing some requests/responses, it acts somewhat in the same way a "fake" server would. So, when HiSuite asks the update server if there are any updates available for your phone, the update server will say "Nope, no new updates at the moment" - but my tool will intercept that and overwrite the response with a "Yep, here's the update" instead.

Hopefully that explains things :)

kavee.gauravjoshi

Nov 21, 2016
Pune, Maharashtra
Realme GT
Realme GT 2
The way the FunkyHuawei and Firmware Finder method works is by you configuring your network to use their DNS server. A DNS server is what is used on the internet for "resolving" a domain name (like google.com, .xda-developers.com, hicloud.com, etc.) into an IP address. So, when a "client" (either your computer when using HiSuite to check for updates or your phone) asks for the IP address of query.hicloud.com (used for update checking), instead of giving you the IP address of Huawei's update server like a normal DNS server would, it gives you the IP address of FunkyHuawei/Firmware Finder's update server.
So now, whenever you do an update check, you're not talking with Huawei's update server but a "fake" server, but your phone/computer isn't aware of this (well ...), and when your phone/computer asks this server if updates are available and if your phone is allowed to install the update, the server will just say "Yeah, here's the update, go ahead and install it".

My method is similar in some ways. What it does is "hooking" the HiSuite process. This allows my tool to intercept and alter communication between HiSuite and Huawei's update server, and by spoofing some requests/responses, it acts somewhat in the same way a "fake" server would. So, when HiSuite asks the update server if there are any updates available for your phone, the update server will say "Nope, no new updates at the moment" - but my tool will intercept that and overwrite the response with a "Yep, here's the update" instead.

Thanks for this great explaination. I think i understood now. Why don't you include this in your initial posts? Its a nice learning for noobs like me. Just a suggestion. I feel there is very little *educating* material for Honor devices like the one you told about, or about rooting, or downgrading etc., at least for view 10. Unlike OnePlus devices. So I feel this might educate people who are just enthusiast, non technical and want to know few things.

Btw, the tool didn't work for my Indian model. Guess, because I am on EMUI 9.0 beta already. But thanks for the information :D

shashank1320

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 26, 2015
Delhi
No luck. Tried 2-3 times, even made the changes to FF DNS so that firmware is approved but nothing on hisuite.

May be I am on EMUI 9.0 beta thats the reason its not showing anything but will eork for EMUI 8 users.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Copying from my previous post:

I made a tool to "force update" my phone (Honor View 10, European/C432 model), and I thought I'd share it in case anybody wants to give it a try.

Notes
    • It is Windows-only (Specifically Windows 10 (64-bit), build 1809, although it probably works fine for most/all other versions of Windows)
    • It requires .NET Framework to be installed on your computer. It can be downloaded from here
    • It might cause some anti-virus programs to flag it due to the nature of the tool (although nothing on VirusTotal detects it as malware)
    • Currently, a lot of stuff is hard-coded (source code available below), including the path to HiSuite.exe. If the path to your HiSuite installation isn't "C:\Program Files (x86)\HiSuite\HiSuite.exe" (or "C:\Program Files\HiSuite\HiSuite.exe" in the case of 32-bit Windows), the tool won't work
    • It's currently only supposed to work with the BKL-L09 (C432) model. Do not use this tool if you do not have the BKL-L09 (C432) model
    • If you are on 32-bit Windows (your HiSuite installation path is "C:\Program Files\HiSuite" instead of "C:\Program Files (x86)\HiSuite"), download the HuaweiUpdaterWin32.7z file. Otherwise, download the regular HuaweiUpdater.7z file

And, of course, please use the tool at your own risk. I'm not responsible if the update somehow ends up breaking your phone.

Usage
    1. Connect your phone to your computer through USB
    2. Before proceeding, make sure HiSuite isn't running. Open Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del -> Task Manager or Ctrl+Shift+Escape) and make sure "Huawei PC Suite" (hisuite.exe) isn't running. If it's running, right-click and select "End Task" to kill the process
    3. Run "Launcher.exe" and HiSuite should open
    4. Click on the "Update" button. There should be a red dot on it
    5. Wait for HiSuite to finish installing the update on your phone

Source code can be found here: https://github.com/Smaehtin/HuaweiUpdater
    Here's a version that should work for the Indian (C675) variant.

can not download the indian version link

Strange, maybe it works with TinyUpload:
    HuaweiUpdater(C675).7z
    HuaweiUpdater(C675)Win32.7z