I just got my 8 Pro yesterday, and am researching so I can root and install Ad Aware. I've seen a few warnings about the fingerprint sensor
and another about using Magisk Canary causing issues, but others recommend it as a solution to the above.
I also saw that TWRP isn't supported on Android 11 (or maybe just this device), so that's a concern also.
I'd rather not have to 'fix' anything after a botched attempt to root, so I figured I'd ask FIRST before begging for emergency help.
Is there a current recommendation on how to proceed with a fresh phone?
Should I backup the persist.img file before beginning? Anything else I should do before starting?
Thanks in advance for some extra clarity
My model is the IN2020, which came preloaded with the Global ROM (Bought it from Catch, who used Bexetech as a supplier). it came with Android 10 (Oxygen OS 10.5.11.IN11AA). After reading around about people having issues flashing patched images on Android 11, I decided the easiest/safest way for me would be to root while still on A10, then upgrade to A11, while retaining root, so this is what I did.
1. Follow the steps in this post
to use this tool to boot TWRP, install Magisk, root phone, and backup persist. Backup whatever you need to prior to this, my phone was straight from the box so I had no personal data to backup.
Note: I had some issues getting the fastboot drivers to show up, some have had issues with the adb drivers. If the phone still doesnt show up on the tool, follow the steps in this post
. Make sure you use the correct one (ABD interface
for the adb
driver, Bootloader interface
2. Then follow the steps in this post
to update the OS and Magisk while retaining root. Assuming this is a clean device like I had, you can simplify the steps as shown below (Paraphrasing the relevant steps from that post)
- Go to settings / system / system updates
and mine showed the update for OS 126.96.36.199.IN11AA was ready to Download & Install
. You can click this to
download & install the update, but DO NOT REBOOT
. If you reboot before the next few steps it will be too late.
- Open Magisk Manager and you should see 2 options to update. The first one will be Magisk, the 2nd option will be Magisk Manager. This tool installs Magisk Manager 20.4 at the time of writing this, and there is 21.4 available, so pick the 2nd option to update the Manager itself first.
- Follow the prompts to install it, it may ask you to allow installation of unknown sources, accept it.
- Once it's updated the app, open it back up, and now it should only give you the first option that needs updating. Click "Update".
- On the next page, select "Install to Inactive slot (After OTA)". It will ask for confirmation, accept, and click next.
- Once complete, click reboot.
As this is a new base the first boot may take a little longer.
Your phone will now boot with Android 11 and will have retained root, all your apps will remain as you left them. I've tried my Fingeprint scanner, camera, etc and everything works fine, at least as far as I can tell I've had no issues with it.
From here your OP8PRO is your oyster, do with it what you wish! I am hoping future updates will be this straightforward to keep root, but I'll be checking just to be sure.