[TOOL][ROM] UpdateEngine UI -- Flash Android O beta without wiping data

Search This thread

ur0

Jun 17, 2012
Mumbai
I highly recommend @JamFlux's work instead. Currently, this has got way more complicated than it should be (in the past 24 hours, only 40% users have managed to accurately follow the procedure, and even less for the latest beta). However, I will continue working on this project in order to make it compatible across more devices. The app is now open-source and you can visit the GitHub repo here. Thanks for using UpdateEngine Interface and I hope to see you folks again soon.

I've created the UpdateEngine Interface, a tool to install OTAs that haven't been assigned to your device. It talks to Android's update_engine binary to flash the block-based updates just the way the original updater does, ensuring that your data is preserved and your system partition's signature doesn't change.

TLDR: It allows you to install Oreo without using someone else's TWRP backup or losing data.

Now has the latest build (20th December)

Installation:
  1. Install Magisk
  2. Install the attached Magisk module (named UpdateEngine_1.2.zip) and reboot
  3. Open the newly installed UpdateEngine app and press start
  4. Wait for the installation to complete and restart your device to boot into Android O
  5. If you wish to update to the latest beta, use Magisk to install UpdateEngine_1.3.zip afterwards

Note: If you're a FlashFire user, please uninstall it and reboot before continuing.
Note #2: You must install Oreo via v1.2 before installing the latest beta (via v1.3).

XDA:DevDB Information
UpdateEngine User Interface, Device Specific App for the Xiaomi Mi A1

Contributors
ur0

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 1.1

Created 2017-12-19
Last Updated 2017-12-19

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171219-123052.png
    Screenshot_20171219-123052.png
    30.9 KB · Views: 12,180
  • Screenshot_20171222-135612.png
    Screenshot_20171222-135612.png
    103.1 KB · Views: 8,842
  • UpdateEngine-1.3.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 3,611
  • UpdateEngine_1.2.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,155
Last edited:

Filip013

Oct 25, 2011
This looks interesting, although I'm waiting for Xposed Oreo. A question though, I've heard the leaked Oreo build is rooted, does this method install untouched boot.img?

sipers_

Dec 8, 2017
so this tool can install android O ota beta without twrp ? and without losing data ? and how to install this tool ? sorry for many question .

ghpranav

Aug 14, 2013
Bangalore
techphreak.com
It doesn't seem to be working for me. When I press Start, it opens FlashFire app & nothing happens. Even if I come back to this app, there will two buttons Pause & Stop, but nothing will be happening. Also can you please make it open source?

ur0

Jun 17, 2012
Mumbai
It doesn't seem to be working for me. When I press Start, it opens FlashFire app & nothing happens. Even if I come back to this app, there will two buttons Pause & Stop, but nothing will be happening. Also can you please make it open source?

That's weird -- can you please post the logcat outputs after this happens (maybe after restarting and trying again)?

I'm sure that it's something with flashfire since the app doesn't use it or depend on it.

I'm definitely going to open-source this after I fix a few hacks I made to get the initial version working.

dipakd

Nov 14, 2013
pune
How to install?

How to install magisk and update engine. Will we have to root and flash these file from TWRP? Please give the tutorial in detail.

sooti

Recognized Developer
Jan 26, 2012
I keep getting a crash when i press start, then the app won't open again until I reboot and even then no download... am i missing something?
I have magisk 15.6 and i disabled all my other modules just in case...

EDIT:
12-19 11:32:16.564 3121-3267/? E/DatabaseUtils: Writing exception to parcel
java.lang.SecurityException: Permission Denial: reading com.android.providers.media.MediaProvider uri content://media/external/fs_id from pid=9022, uid=10111 requires android.permission.READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE, or grantUriPermission()
at android.content.ContentProvider.enforceReadPermissionInner(ContentProvider.java:608)
at android.content.ContentProvider$Transport.enforceReadPermission(ContentProvider.java:483)
at android.content.ContentProvider$Transport.query(ContentProvider.java:212)
at android.content.ContentProviderNative.onTransact(ContentProviderNative.java:112)
at android.os.Binder.execTransact(Binder.java:565)

I think you need to add the read/write premission to your app. not sure how its working for others

EDIT 2: Selinux is denying your app.. had to use a selinux disabler app to get it not to crash... might want to look into that..
EDIT 3: Not working... Nothing happens when i click start...

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I highly recommend @JamFlux's work instead. Currently, this has got way more complicated than it should be (in the past 24 hours, only 40% users have managed to accurately follow the procedure, and even less for the latest beta). However, I will continue working on this project in order to make it compatible across more devices. The app is now open-source and you can visit the GitHub repo here. Thanks for using UpdateEngine Interface and I hope to see you folks again soon.

I've created the UpdateEngine Interface, a tool to install OTAs that haven't been assigned to your device. It talks to Android's update_engine binary to flash the block-based updates just the way the original updater does, ensuring that your data is preserved and your system partition's signature doesn't change.

TLDR: It allows you to install Oreo without using someone else's TWRP backup or losing data.

Now has the latest build (20th December)

Installation:
    1. Install Magisk
    2. Install the attached Magisk module (named UpdateEngine_1.2.zip) and reboot
    3. Open the newly installed UpdateEngine app and press start
    4. Wait for the installation to complete and restart your device to boot into Android O
    5. If you wish to update to the latest beta, use Magisk to install UpdateEngine_1.3.zip afterwards

Note: If you're a FlashFire user, please uninstall it and reboot before continuing.
    Note #2: You must install Oreo via v1.2 before installing the latest beta (via v1.3).

XDA:DevDB Information
    UpdateEngine User Interface, Device Specific App for the Xiaomi Mi A1

Contributors
    ur0

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 1.1

Created 2017-12-19
    Last Updated 2017-12-19
    Update time: I convinced Google to give me the latest betas. I'll push out an update soon!
    is possible to add feature "choose ota file from device" or something similar ?

I'm looking into adding this -- the only problem is that it also requires a bit of metadata (which is inconvenient to type manually). I'll look into defining a format which the app can read directly.
    @Filip013 yes, this installs the untouched boot.img.
    @rostifaner and @TerQQ, You're welcome!
    Latest update (v1.3, containing the 20th Dec build) is out. Check the OP for download links.

@ghpranav, the sources will be out by this evening. I'll post the GH link by 1800 IST.

@arraiyan123, I have the one for the latest build, let me know if you want that.

@Rakibboss, uploaded. There you go!
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone